Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Saorview Set Top Box

Options
  • 23-05-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Aldi have a Saorview Set Top Box for sale on Thursday 2nd of June for €79.99.
    I have no link for it as it was on their catalogue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Aldi quote:
    We are developing a range of Set Top Boxes and Televisions to the new approved Saorview specification and we intend to offer our customers the lowest prices on the equipment needed to make the move to Free to Air viewing.
    Source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

With their buying clout they should be looking at standard UK Ireland ( Freesat HD+Freeview HD+Saorview HD-DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 ) Combi boxes for €149 working down to €99 over time.

Took long enough to persuade them to stop selling incompatible UK spec crap and even though they were ultimately better than Tesco Argos and Currys in that respect they are well behind Lidl. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

For set top boxes which claim to have a "built in epg"... how is the epg actually updated. Is epg information transmitted by broadcasters to set top boxes?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

For set top boxes which claim to have a "built in epg"... how is the epg actually updated. Is epg information transmitted by broadcasters to set top boxes?

The epg data (DVB-SI, Event Information Table (EIT)) is transmitted within the multiplex data stream incl audio, video, text etc. The data is then displayed by the manufacturers built in guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ralphie wrote: »
    Aldi have a Saorview Set Top Box for sale on Thursday 2nd of June for €79.99.
    I have no link for it as it was on their catalogue.
    Was that in a seperate insert - nothing in the "Special Buys" I picked up last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless it's on the Certified list, it can't be called a Saorview Set-box
    http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

LG and Techwood obviously comming soon

(Most current Techwood stuff in Harvey Normans seems not to work).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Oh I think they realise the errors of their ways.

@Watty - the Finlux and Techwood are rebadges. Probably based on the T8300s submitted by Vestel directly so that they could offer it as a rebadge. Expect other supermarkets to follow this trend. I had previously speculated on this happening. Case in point - Tevion.

Tv_digital_OV.jpg

Aldi stores in the Republic of Ireland sell Tevion and Logix TVs, most of which are supplied with twin analogue and digital tuners. TVs sold prior to 1st January 2011 typically include a digital tuner which is appropriate for use with UK Freeview, but which is not designed to tune in to the new Saorview service, which was launched in Ireland in October 2010.
    Saorview is a new Free to Air digital TV service which can be accessed through a normal TV set with a set top box, or via a Television with built in MPEG 4 Tuner. The Saorview logo gives consumers the confidence that the product they are buying is specially designed for use with Irish Digital TV, and will give them access to local TV channels (RTÉ1, RTÉ2, TV3, TG4) as well as many other Free to Air digital channels.
    If you are using a Tevion or Logix TV bought before 1st January 2011 for analogue viewing in Ireland, you should be aware that the analogue TV signal in Ireland will be switched off at the end of 2012. From this point onwards you will need an additional Set Top Box in order to access free local TVchannels in Ireland. If you are using your TV for Satellite or Cable services you will be unaffected by this change.
    We are developing a range of Set Top Boxes and Televisions to the new approved Saorview specification and we intend to offer our customers the lowest prices on the equipment needed to make the move to Free to Air viewing.
    Please see diagram below for 3 different ways you can access Free to Air Viewing in Ireland. Please note that only Options 1 and 2 take advantage of the new Saorview service and only options 1 and 2 give access to local Irish TV channels. You can decide whether you need an outdoor aerial or just an indoor (rabbit ears) aerial depending on the signal strength in your area. Please see www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker for details on signal strength where you live.
    caption_digit_tv.jpg

source: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/service/16803.htm?WT.z_src=main

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Was that in a seperate insert - nothing in the "Special Buys" I picked up last night?

Its on their latest special buys which I picked up yesterday evening.
    Not many specific details on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Just seen the insert - product available 2nd June.
    It costs €79.99!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

I was ready to write a post complementing the diagram from Aldi as a useful educational tool to get the message out, but now I'm not too sure.

There is potential confusion for consumers following Aldi's usage of the term "other FTA channels". They could have drawn a distinction between Irish vs non Irish FTA channels. As currently presented I could gain the impression that the FTA channels available on Satelitte could also be accessed by Saorview (aka Soarview/Soareview/Soreview).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

BowWow wrote: »
    Just seen the insert.

Can it record to USB ?

Probably will be able to record.

Guessing it may look quite similar to this.

NEWS-32355-a2e80bba508be3a6ca93b0f9f7c925dd.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

STB wrote: »

Doesn't make a point of mentioning it unlike the ad for a HD satellite receiver

Probably isnt definite. I dont have one, but if its based upon the T8300 it will have the capacity to do so as a PVR but only if enabled in the software.

Being a Vestel or definitely the same chassis doesn't make it 100% compatible. That is only assured if it's also identical firmware.

Unless it's Certified they can't claim it's Saorview compatible, only claim suitable for Ireland.

watty wrote: »
    Being a Vestel or definitely the same chassis doesn't make it 100% compatible. That is only assured if it's also identical firmware.

Unless it's Certified they can't claim it's Saorview compatible, only claim suitable for Ireland.

As I understand it Vestel the OEM may have submitted the OEM hardware chassis with firmware for two "T8300s". Now what Vestel does with that certification as regards rebadging I would imagine would be fine.

Same as happened in the with UK Freeview boxes. Tesco/Argos/etc didnt submit boxes.... they bought a certified one off the OEM who rebadged it together with certified logo. You with me ? Thats how you have massive lists of rebadged boxes all getting the one OTA download on Freeview.

Educated guess is LIDL and Tecos next.

BowWow wrote: »
    Just seen the insert.
    If it's certified, it would be the cheapest certified receiver so far. Hopefully it'll be the start of the prices dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I don't suppose we would be lucky enough to get a T2 tuner as well or am I really dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

I don't suppose we would be lucky enough to get a T2 tuner as well or am I really dreaming?

actually many vestel rebadges are Freeview HD boxes so they will be T2, if im correct - can anyone confirm this?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    actually many vestel rebadges are Freeview HD boxes so they will be T2, if im correct - can anyone confirm this?

That's what I'm hoping;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

Trevord wrote: »
    I was ready to write a post complementing the diagram from Aldi as a useful educational tool to get the message out, but now I'm not too sure.

There is potential confusion for consumers following Aldi's usage of the term "other FTA channels". They could have drawn a distinction between Irish vs non Irish FTA channels. As currently presented I could gain the impression that the FTA channels available on Satelitte could also be accessed by Saorview (aka Soarview/Soareview/Soreview).

Yes, especially the use of the word 'many'. The duo of 3e and RTE News Now (in addition to the usual 4 Irish) can hardly be described as 'many other'.
    'Many other' is only appropriate marketing in the areas of the republic with reliable UK Freeview reception - which is only a very small percentage of the population of the republic.
    and will give them access to local TV channels (RTÉ1, RTÉ2, TV3, TG4) as well as many other Free to Air digital channels.
    (as STB quoted from Aldi site)

Trevord wrote: »
    Can it record to USB ?

No mention of it in the spec.

Guessing it may look quite similar to this.
    NEWS-32355-a2e80bba508be3a6ca93b0f9f7c925dd.JPG

From what you can see of it in the brochure, it looks exactly like that, with a Saorview logo on the frount.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If it's certified, it would be the cheapest certified receiver so far. Hopefully it'll be the start of the prices dropping.

I accept that, but I was thinking of UK Freeview HD boxes available at £30ish.

liamtech wrote: »

Not so straight forward.

They were almost certainly submitted by Vestel to Terracom who are doing the Saorview certification, not DTG who did the Freeview HD certification.

Saorview's certification is DVB-T MPEG4 H264 MHEG5 and Nordig.

Freeview's HD is DVB-T2 according to UK Dbook 6&7.

Freeview HD is not the same and among other specifications contains DRM techniques. The Saorview doesnt.

However, the tuner module is a T8300 (the latest walkers are these too) and the chassis is the DVB680. Perhaps the tuner modules are T2 tuners - no problem there as they are backward compatible with DVB-T. The rest of the software would be geared towards Saorview though, rather than Freeview HD, so even if they do tune Freeview HD stations in overflow/border areas, the gear might do strange things for non Iri, especially when country broadcast flags come into play. This could be the interoperability playoff for NI.

Good to see a cheaper box on the market, although only a temporary sale. The walkers will only drop when a full time item is on sale in parallel.

Tesco's will no doubt do one (of the same certified OEMs) rebranded under the Technica label.

http://ireland.aldi.com/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16976.htm

Product_detail_Wk20T10a26.jpg
    Has a logo, but last night this was not on saorview.ie

www.saorview.ie down with database error as I type.

Obviously a Vestel. But same SW as Walker, or different?

They've also an aerial kit and HD FTA Sat kit (45cm dish though) on Thursday too - you could get a complete set up with the groceries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Does it do PVR via USB i wonder?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Cant see a USB port on the front as per the Vestel above. No mention of USB in specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Saorview website back up. Wonder if it's an AKURA rebadged version of the STB on the Finlux approved product listing -
    Model Number SAO634 STB T8010 OEM Vestel (SW 8.1) and above.
    ... Seems unlikely.
    Only three STB providers currently listed as Saorview approved - Finlux, Triax & Walker. Maybe saorview.ie website needs updating.

Advertisement