Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

LordSutch wrote: »
    I have four TVs/Radios, so I have four STB's already, all mpeg2, all SD, and all doing a great FTA job for me, so the thought of another four boxes will make me cry :(

Are you sure that the mpeg4 card slots don't work properly (running hot you say)?

Have a look at this page, especially the paragraph at the bottom.

I suppose you can gradually replace your current STBs with combo boxes which combine satellite and terrestrial in one (plus HD), or replace tvs in time with Saorview certified/compatible ones. We'll still have analogue terrestrial for another 18 months.

Take some time to research the market, there several solutions to consider, but the cams aren't one of them. One of the regular contributors here has sourced some neat "adaptors" (small plugin receivers), might be worth a punt to get going. Discussed here.

Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Shame Saorview isn't Mpeg2, but I suppose they just have to be different from our neighbours :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

LordSutch wrote: »
    Shame Saorview isn't Mpeg2, but I suppose they just have to be different from our neighbours :(

The UK have also gone MPEG4, but they have also gone DVB-T2, which is them being different.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Karsini wrote: »
    It converts the MPEG-4 video to MPEG-2 on the fly so the TV can decode it. Simply put, HD video is too big for it to convert.
    Hmm, you can try HD video converter, such as iFunia HD video converter, works well for HD video conversion~

The UK have also gone MPEG4, but they have also gone DVB-T2, which is them being different.
    I don't think they can win. Some complain about Saorview not being MPEG-2, while others complain it's not DVB-T2. I personally think that using MPEG-2 just because of some sets which should never have been imported here is daft. I also don't think we should have to use outdated technology just because our neighbours were early adopters.
    Bellu wrote: »
    Hmm, you can try HD video converter, such as iFunia HD video converter, works well for HD video conversion~
    Not sure where you're getting at here, that is PC software. I'm referring to the Neotion NP6 CAM which is a hardware device - there's insufficient bandwidth on the CI's PCMCIA bus to carry HD video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't think they can win. Some complain about Saorview not being MPEG-2, while others complain it's not DVB-T2. I personally think that using MPEG-2 just because of some sets which should never have been imported here is daft. I also don't think we should have to use outdated technology just because our neighbours were early adopters.

I agree. DVB-T/MPEG-4 was the the best choice at the time we were selecting our standard (2007) with France, Estonia and Norway having launched MPEG-4 services in 2005/2006/2007.

DVB-T2 wasn't standardised until Sept 2009. I'd been watching the DTT engineering test transmissions from Mullaghanish and Woodcock Hill for 6 months by that time.

It reminds me of a post I made back in 2004
    The Cush wrote: »
    If this delay happens it may not be such a bad thing because the H.264/AVC video (MPEG-4 Part 10) and High Efficiency Advanced Audio Coding (HE-AAC) audio codecs have now been forwarded to ETSI for standardisation to the range of codecs that may be used in DVB applications which will allow greater compression per multiplex (i.e. more channels per multiplex) and the possibility of HDTV. The standard could be incorporated into DVB-T receivers by the time the Irish DTT service launches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RTE NL should be outputing some HE-AAC content, maybe RTE Plus radio might be a candidate, as most of the time it is the same as RTE 1. At present we have no way of knowing if the equipment we have is compatible or not. Look at the problems Panasonic have, and Philips had, but were solved.

The FreeviewHD time problem was not apparent until the clocks went forward. There may be more 'feartures' yet to come.

RTE NL should be outputing some HE-AAC content, maybe RTE Plus radio might be a candidate, as most of the time it is the same as RTE 1. At present we have no way of knowing if the equipment we have is compatible or not. Look at the problems Panasonic have, and Philips had, but were solved.

Even though it's part of the receiver spec it doesn't get a mention in this reference to the approval process on the Saorview website. Maybe they think there are too many non-HE AAC receivers in viewers homes already and so may not want to change any services from MPEG-1 audio to HE-AAC. Maybe it'll appear with any future pay DTT service where multiplex space will be at a premium.
    The Receivers must be tested for compliance with Nordig 2.2 standard featuring: MPEG4 video (AVC : H.264), MPEG1 audio, MHEG5 Middleware – interactive services & digital teletext and OTA Downloads tested on approved receivers prior to transmission.

http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/approval-process/

I think the HE-AAC is subject to a licence fee. Not sure, but if it is, then low cost sets may not include it if it is 'extra'.

I think the HE-AAC is subject to a licence fee. Not sure, but if it is, then low cost sets may not include it if it is 'extra'.

If the receiver is Saorview certified then it'll be there by default regardless of product cost.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    If the receiver is Saorview certified then it'll be there by default regardless of product cost.

That goes without saying, but a lot of STBs and TVs are on the market and are not certified. If HE-AAC is an issue, it would be better people found out now, rather than later. We know HD is an issue because RTE2 HD has sorted out the non-performers. It would be nice to do the same for HE-AAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Yes, one of the test channels it can be used to transmit HE-AAC audio even the video is just a test card

If HE-AAC is an issue, it would be better people found out now, rather than later. We know HD is an issue because RTE2 HD has sorted out the non-performers. It would be nice to do the same for HE-AAC.

You're not going to get a definitive answer on the HE-AAC issue here on the boards, monkey vs. organ grinder etc.

An email to the Saorview people regarding any plan to use HE-AAC audio should clarify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Em sorry what? Having acknowledged this thread you might have guessed that I will be going back into work on Monday and addressing the lack of signage in the shops. The salesmen are all clued into what sets have Saorview and which don't, so we aren't helping ourselves and will of course do something about that.

It's taken a little while but we're getting up to speed:

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/search_v2.cgi?q=saorview&search=Search

All new sets on the web have Saorview compatibility mentioned multiple times. In the shops the sets will have Saorview compatible triangles in the very near future.

It's taken a little while but we're getting up to speed:

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/search_v2.cgi?q=saorview&search=Search

All new sets on the web have Saorview compatibility mentioned multiple times. In the shops the sets will have Saorview compatible triangles in the very near future.

Saorview compatible? Panasonic?

I think this is misleading and could be misinterpreted as Saorview approved/certified.

Can you use the Saorview name without approval from RTÉNL? - http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/why-register/

Powercity use "Irish Digital TV" on non Saorview approved products, here on the boards we use "mpeg-4 compatible".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

ISSUE DESCRIPTION: EMAIL REQUEST: Subject - CONTACTUS INTERNET/TELEVISION AND PLASMA/PLASMA PANEL ( HOME )/GENERAL ENQUIRIES/

Text :
    Hi,
    I have a Panasonic TX-P42G10l which I bought last year.
    I have recently started using the digital tuner to watch Irish Freeview
    (Saorview)TV.
    The Digital TV reception is fine but the text service is the old analog type
    and not MHEG-5 Digital teletext like it should be.
    After doing some research, I have found that this can be included with a
    software update. I know Philips Ireland and other manufacturers have worked extensively with RTE recently to resolve this and other issues.
    Is there a software update for my TV so I can receive MHEG-5 Digital teletext?

ISSUE RESOLUTION:
    Dear Mr ,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic delay in our response. Due to technical difficulties, we have been unable to provide a prompt response.

In response, the 2010 Panasonic Irish Viera televisions (denoted by an L suffix) have an MPEG4 H.264 hi-definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Irish DTT (Saorview) channels.

However, unfortunately, these TVs do not have MHEG5 tuners and this means that they will not receive digital text. Instead they receive EBU ("analogue") teletext. Neither will they receive any services such as audio description (for the hard of hearing) that RTE might introduce in future.

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

Kind Regards,

Richard Ramsdale
    Customer Communications Advisor
    Panasonic UK, a branch of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH
    Registered Office: Panasonic House, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8FP, UK
    Registered in England & Wales - Branch No. BR015033

Do you need some help in locating Panasonic consumer or accessory items?
    Why not try our Web site at
    www.pas-europe.com
    or by telephone
    Customer Care 0844 844 3852
    Fax: 01344 853213
    Email: customer.care@panasonic.co.uk
    Most major credit and debit cards accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

***Sighs*** :p

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

moz wrote: »
    ISSUE DESCRIPTION: EMAIL REQUEST: Subject - CONTACTUS INTERNET/TELEVISION AND PLASMA/PLASMA PANEL ( HOME )/GENERAL ENQUIRIES/

Text :
    Hi,
    I have a Panasonic TX-P42G10l which I bought last year.
    I have recently started using the digital tuner to watch Irish Freeview
    (Saorview)TV.
    The Digital TV reception is fine but the text service is the old analog type
    and not MHEG-5 Digital teletext like it should be.
    After doing some research, I have found that this can be included with a
    software update. I know Philips Ireland and other manufacturers have worked extensively with RTE recently to resolve this and other issues.
    Is there a software update for my TV so I can receive MHEG-5 Digital teletext?

ISSUE RESOLUTION:
    Dear Mr ,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic delay in our response. Due to technical difficulties, we have been unable to provide a prompt response.

In response, the 2010 Panasonic Irish Viera televisions (denoted by an L suffix) have an MPEG4 H.264 hi-definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Irish DTT (Saorview) channels.

However, unfortunately, these TVs do not have MHEG5 tuners and this means that they will not receive digital text. Instead they receive EBU ("analogue") teletext. Neither will they receive any services such as audio description (for the hard of hearing) that RTE might introduce in future.

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

Kind Regards,

Richard Ramsdale
    Customer Communications Advisor
    Panasonic UK, a branch of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH
    Registered Office: Panasonic House, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8FP, UK
    Registered in England & Wales - Branch No. BR015033

Do you need some help in locating Panasonic consumer or accessory items?
    Why not try our Web site at
    www.pas-europe.com
    or by telephone
    Customer Care 0844 844 3852
    Fax: 01344 853213
    Email: customer.care@panasonic.co.uk
    Most major credit and debit cards accepted.

This is a standard response from them. When I submitted a query on the same subject the response was almost exactly the same AFIK they haven't even changed the wording.
    Panasonic are an ass. They released new models into the Ireland market in 2010 without MHEG5 included, even though it was specified as part of the minimum requirements set out as far back as 2008.
    Minimum Receiver Requirements
    for
    Free-to-Air Digital Terrestrial Television
    for
    Radio Telefis Éireann.
    Version 1.0
    Issue 1
    Date: 2008-12-19

& I quote.

"5.5. MHEG5 Superteletext and EBU Teletext
    The IRD shall support decoding and displaying MHEG-5 applications, and shall conform to the
    following standards: ETSI ES 202 184 v1.1.1, UK/Ireland/Boxer Profile v1.06 (as specified in DTG
    MHEG5 Specification version 1.06, www.dtg.org.uk including corrigenda).
    The IRD shall continuously monitor the PMT and its MHEG5 private data stream PIDs for event
    based MHEG5 application and react accordingly for changes. (Note that the IRD shall still support
    decoding and displaying of EBU Teletext normal pages and subtitling as specified in NorDig Unified
    specification section 7 and as below).
    The IRD shall support when an MHEG-5 application as part of a:
    �� TV or Radio service (service types 0x01, 0x02, 0x0A, 0x16, 0x19) and
    �� Stand-alone Data service (service type 0x0C)
    If both an MHEG5 application and Teletext normal pages are received simultaneously for one and the
    same service, the IRD shall default priorities and display the MHEG5 application, i.e. the MHEG5
    shall default have priority to allocate the Application group keys ('Text' and colour keys) on the
    remote control. (Typically a service carries either an MHEG5 Text application or EBU Teletext
    normal pages).
    If the selected service includes both subtitling (DVB Subtitling and/or EBU Teletext subtitling) and a
    MHEG5 application, the IRD shall (according with its user preference settings) at least decode and
    display the subtitling whenever the user has not entered the MHEG5 application and after the user
    have left the MHEG5 application.
    It is recommended that the IRD supports continued displaying of the subtitling after it has entered the
    MHEG5 application, in that case MHEG5 application OSD shall be on top of video and subtitling).
    Note, EBU Teletext subtitling here refers to teletext subtitling pages and/or teletext subtitle pages for
    hearing impaired people referenced in Teletext descriptor in PMT. Teletext subtitles not referenced in
    the teletext descriptor is optional to access for services with MHEG5 application(s), since the 'Text'
    key will normally be allocated to the MHEG5 application.
    When the user tries to access a Text service (using the 'Text' key on the remote control) for services
    that do not include any MHEG application nor EBU Teletext normal pages, the IRD shall display
    suitable on-screen message informing the user that the service do not include any Text service (for
    example as ”Text not available”)."

Panasonic suck since they were made aware of these requirements at that time & continued to ignored them.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my D25 but I piss on Panasonic for leaving all Irish consumers short & on what was for me a major personal financial investment, nearly one a half grand & they can't even stick on MHEG5 which is I understand a free piece of software. I have a feeling it's got to have something to do with Freesat & UK availability. Rant over:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I can confirm that the LG 42LD550 (bought it off pixmania,so it isn't the UK version) works perfect with Saorview and MHEG5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

Lads

Does anyone know if the Samsung LE46C750 is Saorview compatible? I am going up the North at the weekend to buy one of these.

Thanks

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

gibbon75 wrote: »
    I can confirm that the LG 42LD550 (bought it off pixmania,so it isn't the UK version) works perfect with Saorview and MHEG5.
    Does this model display EBU teletext on TV3 and TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I bought a Pansonic G20 S model from pixmania earlier this year. Apparently is has:

• DVB-T
    • DVB-T (MPEG4)
    • DVB-C
    • DVB-C (MPEG4)

Any idea if this will work with saroview?

Also is it actually broadcasting now?

Thanks

Any idea if this will work with saroview?

Also is it actually broadcasting now?

Normally TVs with DVB-T/MPEG-4 work with Saorview but when it comes to Panasonic you never can tell :D. Connect an aerial and do an auto tune / scan.

A trial Saorview service is available from 47 of 51 transmitters now , the other 4 could be on by the end of May - http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/. The full national launch is expected this month, May 11th has been posted here.

Thanks. There seems to be no aerial in this new flat anyhow....

Might get a dish for free 2 view stuff instead.

Thanks. There seems to be no aerial in this new flat anyhow....

Might get a dish for free 2 view stuff instead.

The Irish channels aren't FTA on satellite, depending on your location you could try an indoor (rabbit ears) aerial for Saorview.

Ah I'll live without them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Souriau wrote: »
    Does this model display EBU teletext on TV3 and TG4?

Yes it does,there's a dedicated subtitle button on the remote for it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Hi folks,

Bought an AOC WA91 32" LCD from ebuyer in the UK last november. Have only now got around to installing Saorview at home.

http://v1.aoc-europe.com/en/televisions/lcdtv/32_L32WA91.php

It's a pan-european model, allows for an Irish specific channel scan and is delivering Saorview well, correct channel numbering etc.

Problem is, spec indicates MHEG5 is present but it delivers traditional Teletext on RTE1, TV3 and TG4 but shows a 'no Teletext' OSD when I press text button on RTE2 HD.

I've exhausted manual/settings and if there is a method for setting TV to display MHEG5 in preference to Teletext I cannot find it.

Any ideas appreciated.

L32WA91
    80 cm (32”) LCD-TV
    Size
    Visible screen size (cm) 80.0
    Size 32”
    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Panel type LCD
    Panel maker CMO or equiv.
    Display
    100Hz technology -
    Brightness (cd/m²) 450
    Contrast Ratio (Panel contrast ratio) 2500:1 (DCR 75000:1)
    Panel resolution 1366 × 768
    Display Area (mm) 698 x 392
    Pixel Pitch (H x V mm) 0.17025 x 0.51075
    Viewing Angle (H /V) 176° / 176°
    Response Time 6.5 ms (typ)
    Lamp Life (hrs) <50000
    Display colors 16.7 million
    Color Temperature Normal / Cool / Warm
    Receiving system
    Broadcasting system (SD) Analogue / Digital PAL / SECAM / DVB-Terrestrial
    Broadcasting system (HD), MPEG-4/H.264AVC Yes
    Autostore / sorting / plug & play Yes / Yes / Yes
    NTSC video playback Yes
    Convenience
    Text page memory (pages) Yes (1000 Pages)
    Electronic progamme guide (EPG) 7 days
    Interactive MHEG5
    Auto volume level Yes
    OAD (over air download) Yes
    Picture enhancement
    3D MA deinterlacing Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Hi folks,

Bought an AOC WA91 32" LCD from ebuyer in the UK last november. Have only now got around to installing Saorview at home.

http://v1.aoc-europe.com/en/televisions/lcdtv/32_L32WA91.php

It's a pan-european model, allows for an Irish specific channel scan and is delivering Saorview well, correct channel numbering etc.

Problem is, spec indicates MHEG5 is present but it delivers traditional Teletext on RTE1, TV3 and TG4 but shows a 'no Teletext' OSD when I press text button on RTE2 HD.

I've exhausted manual/settings and if there is a method for setting TV to display MHEG5 in preference to Teletext I cannot find it.

Any ideas appreciated.

Try tuning on the uk country setting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

huggs2 wrote: »
    Try tuning on the uk country setting

Ta, tried that already huggs2, though TV is Freeview only, not Freeview HD.

Teletext issue was still present, it stuck the RTE's in the 800's as expected.

Advertisement