Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

championc wrote: »
    [SIZE=+2]If your TV has sound but No Pictures - it's then a UK Freeview TV and your TV will NEVER work with Irish Digital and you'll need a Set Top Box or new TV with an MPEG-4 Tuner[/SIZE]

I'll start things off and will update as others post details of working models below. We'll take a working model as one which has now sucessfully scanned in 3e - yes ? Also, please confirm in your reply posts if MHEG-5 is working too.

Substitute xx with inch size

Panasonic
    UK Models
    TX-LxxG20B (Freeview HD + Freesat HD Tuners) - MHEG5 OK
    TX-PxxG20B (Freeview HD + Freesat HD Tuners) - MHEG5 OK
    IE Models
    TX-LxxD25L - MHEG5 NOT working
    TX-PxxX20L - MHEG5 NOT working

TX-LxxU2L – MHEG5 NOT working (Nor TX-LxxU2 either)

TX-LxxG10B – Requires HACKing to change to Euro Model before Channel Scanning

Sony
    KDL-xxV5810 (+ Freesat HD Tuner) - MHEG5 OK
    KDL-xxW5810 (+ Freesat HD Tuner) - MHEG5 OK
    KDL-xxW5500 - MHEG5 OK
    KDL-xxW5740 - MHEG5 OK

Sony w4000
    Sony xxEX403

xxEX401 - MHEG5 OK
    xxEX403 - MHEG5 OK
    xxEX503 - MHEG5 OK

LG
    xxLF7700 (+ Freesat Tuner) - MHEG5 OK
    xxLH3000 - MHEG5 OK
    xxLG3100 - MHEG5 OK
    xxLD350 MHEG5 OK

Philips
    xxPFL5604H
    xxPFL7604H
    xxPFL9604H

xxPFL5605H
    xxPFL7605H
    xxPFL9605H

xxPFL9803H ** Poster had to select country Italy to get MPEG-4 !

xxPFL8664H - MHEG5 OK when country set to UK
    xxPFL8694H - MHEG5 OK when country set to UK

Samsung
    LExxB551 – MHEG5 unconfirmed
    LExxB652 (Freeview HD) - MHEG5 OK
    LExxC450 - MHEG5 OK
    LExxC530 - MHEG5 OK
    UExxC8000 - MHEG5 OK

LExxC650 - MHEG5 MAYBE if you select UK - TBC - maybe OK because of LExxC450
    2033HD LS20CFVKF/EN - MHEG5 NOT working
    T200HD LS20TDVSUV/EN - MHEG5 NOT working

Hannspree
    SVxxLMNB series - MHEG5 OK
    SJxxDMAB / DMBB series - MHEG5 OK

Silvercrest
    Lidl new 32” Full HD set - MHEG5 unconfirmed ** For sale from 02/11/2010

[SIZE=+1]What is MHEG5[/SIZE]

It’s a replacement for Teletext, with pictures and video optionally in the pages of text which should be much faster to load than old TVs. On RTE, the current program continues to be displayed in a window to the right of the Text Service. It does a lot more (potentially) than simply pretty text. “mainly” is the important word. It gives interactive access to Hidden video streams (e.g. BBC Red Button). Allows quizzes, access to information on ethernet port, More featured interactive Program guide than basic DVB program information, text with embedded video or changing images. Also can manage Over The Air firmware updates. (OTA).

Just bought a Techwood 22" FHD MPEG IDTT from Harvey Normans. According to the salesman, it wasn't MHEG5 compatible but that didn't matter as it was a second TV for the bedroom. I took it home and installed it and these are my findings:

It displays the new Aertel teletext service as per my LE 40" Samsung C530 which is MHEG5 compatible. However, the loading time for all pages is about 35 seconds approximatly - very slow.
    Shows full EPG after pressing EPG followed by the options button.
    So, I take it, unless I have missed something, that this TV is MHEG5 compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The EPG isn't MHEG5. Currently only the Text that has video on one corner is MHEG5.

Harvey Norman should be fined big time for their TV advertising and labelling, as should most retailers. It's a disgrace.

watty wrote: »
    The EPG isn't MHEG5. Currently only the Text that has video on one corner is MHEG5.

Harvey Norman should be fined big time for their TV advertising and labelling, as should most retailers. It's a disgrace.

Something else of interest. TVtrade are selling according to them, an MHEG5 compatible, XORO HRT 7510, set top box http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/ 4th item down on this blog. Having read this, go to http://www.tvtrade.ie/xoro-digital-tv-receiver.html click on the user manual tab and scroll down the videos to: How to use teletext and subtitles. This video illustrates the old Aertel teletext. Is this then, according to them, MHEG5 compatible?????

Old teletext as transmitted on Analogue, is actually Digital. It's called EBU teletext. The specification was for hardware implementation, so there is no flexibility.

The MHEG5 is an engine to run applications. A text application is defined and transmitted by RTENL and cached by the TV. it's "run" when you press Text. It then uses data transmitted. It's very flexible and the look and feel unlike EBU teletext can be customised.

The XORO HRT 7510 doesn't do MHEG5
    Disadvantages of Xoro HRT 7510 Digital TV Receiver

* Though this box can be used to receive the new Irish Saorview channels it is does not have the Saorview sticker.
    * It does not have MHEG5 middleware
    * Unlike the Edision Argus Mini, it is not a Combo Satellite & Digital TV receiver, it can only handle Irish Digital TV broadcasts.
    * Does not have a card slot for Pay-per-view options (not huge issue as there is no pay to view service)
    * Quirky - remote operartes on the same codes as LG TV which makes it not practical to operate with this one make of TV

Do not buy this box. Waste of money.

They can't be calling stuff like this Saorview compatible. http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/new-saorview-compatible-dtt-receiver-launched/
    But I think you may have been mixing up MHEG5 description of a different box on their blog.

Old teletext as transmitted on Analogue, is actually Digital. It's called EBU teletext. The specification was for hardware implementation, so there is no flexibility.

The MHEG5 is an engine to run applications. A text application is defined and transmitted by RTENL and cached by the TV. it's "run" when you press Text. It then uses data transmitted. It's very flexible and the look and feel unlike EBU teletext can be customised.

The XORO HRT 7510 doesn't do MHEG5

Do not buy this box. Waste of money.

They can't be calling stuff like this Saorview compatible. http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/new-saorview-compatible-dtt-receiver-launched/
    But I think you may have been mixing up MHEG5 description of a different box on their blog.

It was the XORO HRT 7510 I was talking about. What I meant to say, was, Saorview compatible in each incident and not MHEG5 compatible, althought I thought they were one and the same. My mistake.....Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Samsung LE 40 C530 fine with Saorview. MHEG5 yes, quick to load. Plays MKVs/AVi's from USB. Connects to the net as well. Pretty good. 1080p.

They are €459 in Joyces/Xpert and DID at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

STB wrote: »
    The Samsung LE 40 C530 fine with Saorview. MHEG5 yes, quick to load. Plays MKVs/AVi's from USB. Connects to the net as well. Pretty good. 1080p.

Great TV I agree but how does it connect to the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

My Parents bought a Samsung LE37C530 yesterday after I'd checked (on here and elsewhere) it worked with Saorview.

However when they tried the autoscan to tune in the channels it did not pick up any digital channels. It picked up the 4 analogue channels plus the signal from the Sky Dish (they don't have Sky anymore just the Free to Air channels) fine.

Is there a problem with the digital signal in their area (Killenaule, South Tipperary) or are we missing something obvious?

Their ariel is in the attic but I've no idea which Transmitter it is pointing to, it's hidden away behind a wall and can't be accessed that easily.

Their TV3 reception is far from perfect and TG4 is even worse.

Any suggestions appreciated.

You need a better UHF aerial. It's likely your RTE is on VHF. TG4 and TV3 are UHF everywhere as is all DTT.

It's possible the Attic Aerial is a VHF model.

Unlike Analogue there is a narrow range of signal between nearly perfect and nothing, In that very narrow range it freezes or pixelates. Slightly less and there is nothing. Analogue still has some sort of poor picture even when the signal is very poor indeed. The point where the Digital picture seems perfect (but still occasional pixelation) is where Analogue is not yet perfect, a bit noisy.

I have one, it has no internet capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mormegil wrote: »
    Is there a problem with the digital signal in their area (Killenaule, South Tipperary) or are we missing something obvious?

Their ariel is in the attic but I've no idea which Transmitter it is pointing to, it's hidden away behind a wall and can't be accessed that easily.

Their TV3 reception is far from perfect and TG4 is even worse.

Any suggestions appreciated.

DTT in the Killenaule area will be provided by the new transmitter at Kilduff according to the RTÉNL Coverage Checker, not online yet.

I agree with watty, I assume your parents have a VHF aerial only for RTÉ 1&2 Mt Leinster probably.

What are the frequencies/UHF channels of the analogue channels being received which will identify the current transmitter.

You should be able to receive DTT from Mt Leinster with the corrrect UHF aerial. Group B UHF aerial for DTT from both Mt Leinster (Ch. 45 H) and Kilduff (Ch.52 H) when it goes live in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

You need a better UHF aerial. It's likely your RTE is on VHF. TG4 and TV3 are UHF everywhere as is all DTT.

It's possible the Attic Aerial is a VHF model.

Unlike Analogue there is a narrow range of signal between nearly perfect and nothing, In that very narrow range it freezes or pixelates. Slightly less and there is nothing. Analogue still has some sort of poor picture even when the signal is very poor indeed. The point where the Digital picture seems perfect (but still occasional pixelation) is where Analogue is not yet perfect, a bit noisy.
    The Cush wrote: »
    DTT in the Killenaule area will be provided by the new transmitter at Kilduff according to the RTÉNL Coverage Checker, not online yet.

I agree with watty, I assume your parents have a VHF aerial only for RTÉ 1&2 Mt Leinster probably.

What are the frequencies/UHF channels of the analogue channels being received which will identify the current transmitter.

You should be able to receive DTT from Mt Leinster with the corrrect UHF aerial. Group B UHF aerial for DTT from both Mt Leinster (Ch. 45 H) and Kilduff (Ch.52 H) when it goes live in a few months time.

Thanks for the help, while I knew TV3 and TG4 were UHF compared to RTE's VHF I never realised there were different types of aerials need to pick up the signals.

The frequencies they are currently picking up are RTE1 191 MhZ, RTE2 215 MHz, TV3 511 MHz and TG4 487 MHz.

Have to see if I can access the Aerial to confirm what sort it is.

Fishing rod sized rods = VHF (175MHz to 275MHZ)

pencil sized rods = UHF (470MHz to 862MHz)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Karsini wrote: »
    I have one, it has no internet capabilities.

I have one too.

I now know what anynet+ means! :o

Well impressed that it plays mkvs. So quick to load.

I have one too.

I now know what anynet+ means! :o

Well impressed that it plays mkvs. So quick to load.

Yep, I'm very happy with it. Only have Saorview and an analogue UPC feed at the moment so it's probably wasted on me! :( But I'll get there at some stage.

Have seen many USB media drives that can't do MKV so it's a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I notice a list of Samsung and Sony TVs have been added to the approved products list.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

I can receive the radio station and nothing else. What does this mean?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I can receive the radio station and nothing else. What does this mean?:confused:

You where sold an Incompatible TV designed for the UK and not for Ireland. The Irish digital specs where published and known about since 2008, retailers where informed yet many if not all retailer dumped UK product onto the Irish market. Many still continue to sell incompatible TV's.

You will need a set top box to receive Saorview, if the TV was purchases recently and receiving Saorview is a big issue for you bring it back and get a refund. It is reasonable for an Irish consumer who purchased a "Digital TV" to expect it to work with the Digital Irish TV service.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

It's a full HD Panasonic which I bought over 2 years ago in Belfast so I suppose I can't blame anyone but myself

Your TV is neither Saorview certified nor MPEG-4 compatible for Irish DTT it appears.

Irish Saorview-DTT uses the DVB-T/MPEG-4 standard, your TV may only have a (DVB-T/) MPEG-2 video decoder (an older standard used in the UK).

If your TV is only MPEG-2 it requires a Saorview STB to watch the Irish DTT channels, it is not possible to software update the TV.

RTÉNL Saorview FAQs - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/RTENL%20SAORVIEW%20FAQs%20March%202011%20Rev%202_0.pdf
    http://www.saorview.ie/

• Advertisement

Article from Siliconrepublic yesterday on the new Sony 2011 Saorview-certified TV range
    2011 Sony BRAVIA TVs will work on Saorview

Sony Ireland has confirmed its 2011 BRAVIA TV range from 22 inches and up have been approved by RTÉ for its upcoming Saorview service.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/20950-2011-sony-bravia-tvs-will/

The Sony list from the new Saorview website
    SONY Europe Ltd
    www.sony.ie

SAORVIEW Approved iDTVs:
    KDL26BX320
    KDL32BX320
    KDL40BX220
    KDL22CX32D
    KDL40BX420

KDL22EX320
    KDL24EX320
    KDL26EX320
    KDL32CX520
    KDL32CX523
    KDL40CX523
    KDL32EX524
    KDL37EX524
    KDL40EX524
    KDL46EX524
    KDL32EX723
    KDL40EX723
    KDL46EX723
    KDL55EX723
    KDL32EX724
    KDL40EX724
    KDL46EX724
    KDL40HX723
    KDL46HX723
    KDL40NX723
    KDL46NX723
    KDL55NX723
    KDL60NX723
    KDL65HX923
    KDL46HX923
    KDL55HX923
    KDL46HX823
    KDL55HX823
    KDL32EX523
    KDL40CX520
    KDL40EX523

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/sony/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Anyone know if this tv is compatible with Saorview, I have a Samsung
    with the code LE26A451C1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Boro wrote: »
    I just got a Samsung LE37c650 a few days ago. I was assured by the salesman that saorview would work. I checked the specs and it has DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-T2 (uk only) and has MPEG4 and H.264/AVC. Reading the 1st post in this thread though it might not be compatible? I'm getting quite confused here.

Unfortunately I have no proper aerial either here at the moment so I cant actually pick up analogue tv atm to test whether the DTT is working. I have UPC (digital) cable only. Any concrete info on this TV?

Oh btw this tv worked (for a couple of mins until I messed up the dish) with the dtt through an unused sky dish. It was pretty poor but it was definitely digital. Unfortunately in my eagerness to tune it I lost the channels and the position I got them at. Back to the drawing board.

Boro wrote: »
    Oh btw this tv worked (for a couple of mins until I messed up the dish) with the dtt through an unused sky dish. It was pretty poor but it was definitely digital. Unfortunately in my eagerness to tune it I lost the channels and the position I got them at. Back to the drawing board.

You require an aerial for DTT.

You were receiving via signal leaking in at cable and connections. What "The Cush" says. You need an old fashioned UHF aerial (digital ones are imaginary).

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi,

I could be wrong but as far as I know, most of the 'A' series only has MPEG2.

Btw - does anyone know what the difference is between the 'C' and new 'D' series for Samsung? The 'D' series comes out at the end of this month, from what I can tell (eg. LE26D450).

I believe the letter indicates the year the model was designed. A= 2008, B = 2009, C = 2010, D = 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

For a fully functioning 7 day programme guide is it a Saorview certified you'd want to be getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

From www.Saorview.ie

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/samsung/

SAORVIEW Approved iDTVs:

PLASMA TV
    Series 4
    PS43D450
    PS51D450
    PS43D490
    PS51D495

Series 5
    PS51D550
    PS59D550
    PS51D6900
    PS59D6900
    PS51D8000
    PS64D8000

Series 6
    PS51D6900
    PS59D6900

Series 8
    PS51D8000
    PS64D8000

LCD TV
    Series 4
    LE19D450
    LE22D450
    LE26D450
    LE32D450

Series 5
    LE32D550
    LE37D550
    LE40D550
    LE46D550

LED TV
    4000 Series
    UE19D4000
    UE19D4010
    UE32D4020
    UE32D4000
    UE32D4010
    UE32D4020

5000 Series
    UE22D5000
    UE22D5010
    UE22D5020
    UE27D5000
    UE27D5010
    UE27D5020
    UE32D5000
    UE37D5000
    UE40D5000
    UE46D5000
    UE32D5520
    UE37D5520
    UE40D5520
    UE46D5520

• Advertisement

Sony Saorview information page now up on http://www.sony.ie/article/id/1237480609206 following the information campaign launch

TV product page not listing any of the Saorview models yet.

Advertisement