Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should TG4 be closed down in the 2011 budget?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Crosáidí wrote: »
    I have to pay for RTÉ and i don't watch it, we live in a democracy, that promotes liberty and equality that tries to cater for every need of their citizens
    So you shouldn't have to pay for RTÉ either. How is that fair when you don't watch it? I'm in favour of commercial stations because they give the consumer what they want. Not what the government tells them they want.

I agree with you that we live in a democracy but wouldn't liberty be better served by allowing people to pay only for the stations they want on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Daniel O'Connell was a great Irish figure who worked hard to convince people to speak english.

O' Connell said that in relation to being employable abroad in the mid-1880s. It had nothing to do with culture. O' Connell was liberal about his views of the language when he went looking for votes - some places he was for it and in others he was against it.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Daniel O'Connell was also an Irish speaker
    Who convinced Irish speakers to learn English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

There are 15 pages on a TV station, and three or four on the IMF bailout that was announced today.

Shows where people's priorities are. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Who convinced Irish speakers to learn English.

Put things in context. My previous post explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

There are 15 pages on a TV station, and three or four on the IMF bailout that was announced today.

This thread has been going since yesterday morning, but you knew that,
    People discuss different topics on different sites, it doesn't show that people don't care

The IMF does what it wants to when it decides to do it, we (the sheeple :mad:) can't do FA about it!

Supporting TG4 is still possible.

Is féidir linn!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Which FF Cumann are you in ?

Because I can't really see the point of this thread unless it's to distract peoples attention to the political situation or maybe that they've only got till 24th november to check they are still entitled to vote.

www.checktheregister.ie is where people can confirm they are still on the voters register

if you aren't use this form http://www.checktheregister.ie/appforms/RFA1%20bilingual%20-%20form%20-%20on%20line.pdf

Ah for god's sake. What a pathetic post. Have you anything constructive to add to the discussion?

I didn't create the thread in case you haven't noticed.

Are you just trolling?

If you want to let people know about the voting system, create a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

give the top earners at rte a pay cut and fund tg4 with the savings there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

The IMF does what it wants to when it decides to do it, we (the sheeple :mad:) can't do FA about it!

Supporting TG4 is still possible.

Is féidir linn!

I am supporting TG4 - look at my posts a few pages back!
    I'm giving out about the uncle toms who want to close it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

TG4 suffers in much the same way that The Observer newspaper or literary fiction suffer. It is not palatable to a mass market that would rather watch Take Me Out or some other BS programme. It has some fantastic documentaries, excellent TV shows (championing The Wire long before the boxset crowd got in on the act) and shows world cinema.

Then add in all the programmes about the Irish language and Irish culture and it is clear why it does not have a massive appeal. It is too intelligent for its own good. Which is a shame as they have some great presenters who are good at hosting light entertainment. Pop 4 has been a very good music show for teens for years now. The same way that Paisean Faisean (once Aoife Ní Thuairisg left for "religious beliefs") is one of the better light-entertainment shows on Irish TV. With a bigger budget, the people at TG4 would make the station even better. I would much rather watch most of the presenters TG4 have instead of the sterile, derivative and hackneyed presenters that RTE and TV3 have on most of their shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

If you remove the Irish language from an Irish language TV channel, there isn't much left! :rolleyes:

About one days worth of interest repayment and that's before the IMF loan.

Yes there would be, there would be the good shows. The Irish language isn't what makes TG4 good. Replace Irish with Latin and I see very little difference. Irish is spoken no where else in the World, were as English is the number one second language now and maybe in a few years (if we ever want to see the next century) everyone will speak it. Spending time and money on something that only appeals to the minority is selfish and counterproductive. I know more people that speak fluent Polish than Irish, should they get their own channel? And if you go with the heritage line, well a great man once said "heritage is dead people's baggage". Don't get me started with Irish being taught to kids in school.....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I know more people that speak fluent Polish than Irish, should they get their own channel?

Err they have quite a few already......

Link is to Polish satellite TV provider. Dont officially sell into Ireland but theres ways around this.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Err they have quite a few already......

Are they paid for by the Irish tax payer?

TG4 suffers in much the same way that The Observer newspaper or literary fiction suffer. It is not palatable to a mass market that would rather watch Take Me Out or some other BS programme. It has some fantastic documentaries, excellent TV shows (championing The Wire long before the boxset crowd got in on the act) and shows world cinema.

Then add in all the programmes about the Irish language and Irish culture and it is clear why it does not have a massive appeal. It is too intelligent for its own good. Which is a shame as they have some great presenters who are good at hosting light entertainment. Pop 4 has been a very good music show for teens for years now. The same way that Paisean Faisean (once Aoife Ní Thuairisg left for "religious beliefs") is one of the better light-entertainment shows on Irish TV. With a bigger budget, the people at TG4 would make the station even better. I would much rather watch most of the presenters TG4 have instead of the sterile, derivative and hackneyed presenters that RTE and TV3 have on most of their shows.
    Right, so it's about time the government transformed TG4 and RTÉ into private companies and allowed them to compete against each other for viewers. There is no limit to the amount of viewers a private station can have so if people really do prefare TG4 it will get a bigger budget.

If people don't like it then no matter how much superior to RTE you consider it the majority of the people will have spoken and the station will fall by the wayside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Are they paid for by the Irish tax payer?

Given that The TVP channels are (partially) state funded and Poland is a net recipiant of EU structual funds whereas Ireland has (in recent years) been a net contributer.

I would say yes (albeit vey indirectly)
    There is no limit to the amount of viewers a private station can have .

The TV owning population of the area they cover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The TV owning population of the area they cover ?
    But there's no limit to the amount of people who can own a tv in any area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Right, so it's about time the government transformed TG4 and RTÉ into private companies and allowed them to compete against each other for viewers. There is no limit to the amount of viewers a private station can have so if people really do prefare TG4 it will get a bigger budget.

If people don't like it then no matter how much superior to RTE you consider it the majority of the people will have spoken and the station will fall by the wayside.

The sort of minority interest shows I spoke of are the exact reason why licence fees exist. The market influences you speak of would ensure that worthwhile programming that I speak of would remain off air.

Public service broadcasting is a necessity in my view. Without it, it would be a race to the lowest common denominator of public opinion. Privatization reduces everything to monetary values. Not everything has to give into market forces. The amount of money given to TG4 is minuscule in the wider view, so it is hardly worth putting another sledgehammer into the arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yes there would be, there would be the good shows. The Irish language isn't what makes TG4 good. Replace Irish with Latin and I see very little difference. Irish is spoken no where else in the World, were as English is the number one second language now and maybe in a few years (if we ever want to see the next century) everyone will speak it. Spending time and money on something that only appeals to the minority is selfish and counterproductive. I know more people that speak fluent Polish than Irish, should they get their own channel? And if you go with the heritage line, well a great man once said "heritage is dead people's baggage". Don't get me started with Irish being taught to kids in school.....:mad:

You are right, it is the people who run it that make the station good. Why do these people want to run it though? Because it promotes the language they love. If they are no longer permitted to run the station as they see fit, why would they bother? Who are you going to get to run the station then? RTE? Hah, maybe you should try to get the people who run TG4 to run RTE, since they have shown that they can provide better documentaries, better films and better self made programs than RTE, at less than 10% of the cost to the taxpayer.

Why do you associate English as being the way forward, and what makes you think that if someone else doesn't speak English or doesn't have it as their first language they belong in the last century? The Germans/French/Chinese seem to be doing ok. And what native of Ireland doesn't speak English?

More people that speak Polish than Irish? Really? That amazing.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    You are right, it is the people who run it that make the station good. Why do these people want to run it though? Because it promotes the language they love. If they are no longer permitted to run the station as they see fit, why would they bother? Who are you going to get to run the station then? RTE? Hah, maybe you should try to get the people who run TG4 to run RTE, since they have shown that they can provide better documentaries, better films and better self made programs than RTE, at less than 10% of the cost to the taxpayer.

Why do you associate English as being the way forward, and what makes you think that if someone else doesn't speak English or doesn't have it as their first language they belong in the last century? The Germans/French/Chinese seem to be doing ok. And what native of Ireland doesn't speak English?

More people that speak Polish than Irish? Really? That amazing.

You may be right about the motavation of TG4 employees but I would say it is more to do with it being directed by young informed people rather than the old guard at RTE, who should be for the most part flogged in public. You have misread me on the other points. I wasn't saying anyone who didn't speak English would be left behind, but ultimately we will have to choose one language for the universal language and since most of the World speak English it would make sense it was chosen. As for the Polish point, I said people I know in Ireland not in the World. I have never heard anyone speak Irish in public (this does not mean they can't speak Irish, before you point that out) but I hear Polish anytime I get public transportation, that was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

You may be right about the motavation of TG4 employees but I would say it is more to do with it being directed by young informed people rather than the old guard at RTE, who should be for the most part flogged in public. You have misread me on the other points. I wasn't saying anyone who didn't speak English would be left behind, but ultimately we will have to choose one language for the universal language and since most of the World speak English it would make sense it was chosen. As for the Polish point, I said people I know in Ireland not in the World. I have never heard anyone speak Irish in public (this does not mean they can't speak Irish, before you point that out) but I hear Polish anytime I get public transportation, that was my point.

Are you that Rockafeller chap in disguise, one world language, one world government, look where one currency has us now:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I have never heard anyone speak Irish in public (this does not mean they can't speak Irish, before you point that out) but I hear Polish anytime I get public transportation, that was my point.
    That may have something to do with the fact that you live (if your location is to be believed) in Dublin. Dublin != Ireland, despite what many Dubs seem to think. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

but ultimately we will have to choose one language for the universal language
    :eek:
    Why?

So you think we're all doomed?

So you think we're all doomed?

If we all stay in our own little box and the guy up the road is "different" it is probably a mathematical certainty. This is going totally off topic lol I don't think the World will end if we keep TG4

If we all stay in our own little box and the guy up the road is "different" it is probably a mathematical certainty. This is going totally off topic lol I don't think the World will end if we keep TG4

Isn't the best option to appreciate, understand and tolerate, difference/variety instead of letting it disappear into a global monoculture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Im no lover of the irish language and wouldnt watch TG4 in a millions years but I fail to see any real benefit in getting rid of it. The station offer cultural diversity and the programming seems to be semi-intelligent. I prefer to see people watching that as opposed to the standard garbage (X-Factor, Im a celebrity ...) we see on other channels.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    Im no lover of the irish language and wouldnt watch TG4 in a millions years but I fail to see any real benefit in getting rid of it. The station offer cultural diversity and the programming seems to be semi-intelligent. I prefer to see people watching that as opposed to the standard garbage (X-Factor, Im a celebrity ...) we see on other channels.

What diverity does it show? English programmes in Irish and cheapo Irish versions of X-Factor etc. It does have some good stuff: The Wire, Curbs, a few documentaries. These are on other "foreign" channels now so negate it unless you live in the sticks.
    Isn't the best option to appreciate, understand and tolerate, difference/variety instead of letting it disappear into a global monoculture.

Of course but do you ever see it happening in reality? As long as there is differences, there will be prejudice. Science and harmony are the future not religion and tribalism.

Advertisement