Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should TG4 be closed down in the 2011 budget?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The subject of the thread is TG4.

The majority language of this country is English. By a million miles, whatever it states in the constitution and whatever aspirations were held by some fascistic blokes at the turn of the century, English is the predominate language spoken here. All Irish people can understand English, so do us the courtesy of posting in that language we all understand on a forum that is not designated for Irish speakers, or at the very least, a translation.

Despite 12 years of school here I came out with more French than Irish. I lay the blame for that firmly at the door of the policy makers who decided how to teach it. A sizeable number of Irish people really do not care if no-one speaks it or not. I am not one of them, but God, do I hate the language fascists.

A language fascist would be someone who gets in a tizzy over a single solitary sentence in Irish on a mainly English language website,
    not a person who posts a single solitary sentence in Irish on a mainly English language website. :rolleyes:

As for TG4, fine station, keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

If TG4 is so much better than RTÉ, then why do more people watch RTÉ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

xxshebeexx wrote: »

It's quality over quantity ,theres a passion about tg4 and it shows. The crap thats on RTE sometimes is just to get through the budget they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

There are programmes that appeal to people on both stations, but people are saying that TG4 gives us better value for money, which it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Megatron_X wrote: »
    People don't get as angry/annoyed if they see something written in a different non-English language, such as French, as they do if they see Irish (even in a general forum such as After Hours).

French, or other language speakers, don't exhibit the same sense of entitlement and pretension. They don't claim that you're less Irish because you can't speak a particular language.
    If someone doesn't understand a language they shouldn't asume they are being excluded on purpose

But English is the de facto language on the vast, vast majority of forums here. Using another language does exclude those who don't speak it, despite the intentions behind it.
    if it makes someone feel like an idiot I think that's the readers fault.

Or the fault of those who have continually insisted that anyone with a smattering of intelligence should be able to understand it; I can only speak from my own experience but I recall my Irish teacher treated us like we were mentally challenged. I mean, speaking to us as if we were toddlers, it was incredibly belittling.
    It didn't matter if you excelled in other subjects, if you couldn't learn Irish there was something wrong with you and you were made to feel that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Apart from the obvious language barrier for pretty much the same reason that BBC2 is better than ITV yet more people watch the latter.

Morkarleth wrote: »

Or the fault of those who have continually insisted that anyone with a smattering of intelligence should be able to understand it; I can only speak from my own experience but I recall my Irish teacher treated us like we were mentally challenged. I mean, speaking to us as if we were toddlers, it was incredibly belittling.
    It didn't matter if you excelled in other subjects, if you couldn't learn Irish there was something wrong with you and you were made to feel that way.

So your Irish teacher was a pr!ck, let's hate Irish
    If your science teacher was a pr!ck, would you hate science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Crosáidí wrote: »
    So your Irish teacher was a pr!ck, let's hate Irish

Please point out where I said I hated Irish. I don't hate it, no more so than I hate any other language.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Irish language die hards are fighting a losing battle. It just costs too much when the state is bankrupt. The Irish language no longer represents Irishness. It's time the lovers of the language got that through their heads.

The Irish language die hards are fighting a losing battle. It just costs too much when the state is bankrupt. The Irish language no longer represents Irishness. It's time the lovers of the language got that through their heads.

Thats pretty ignorant to be honest ,I don't speak Irish ,but I don't think we should kiss the language goodbye.

Does anyone on boards speak welsh ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

The Irish language die hards are fighting a losing battle.

How is that? With the 20 Year National Strategy for the Irish language funding on the Irish language will increase, although in a planned way and hopefully getting good value for money e.g. new cultural centres.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Thats pretty ignorant to be honest ,I don't speak Irish ,but I don't think we should kiss the language goodbye.

Does anyone on boards speak welsh ?

I meant that TG4 is too much to fund when we're broke.

What part of that is ignorant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

TG4 was where I first saw True Blood, and I always used watch Survivor on it when I was addicted to that show a few years ago.

Honestly, I never watch any Irish language programming but still hope they get left alone because they do show some good stuff.

TG4 was where I first saw True Blood, and I always used watch Survivor on it when I was addicted to that show a few years ago.

Honestly, I never watch any Irish language programming but still hope they get left alone because they do show some good stuff.

Surely the purpose of TG4 is to broadcast Irish speaking programmes?

Why can't TG4 broadcast these imported programmes without getting state assistance?

What else could the irish language represent ? Of course it represents Irishness and irish people. Galway is probably one the most beautiful counties in Ireland and is distinctly irish ,part of that is the language.

I think it's the attitude that Irish people should shut up ,speaking Irish. I think thats pretty ignorant.

What else could the irish language represent ? Of course it represents Irishness and irish people. Galway is probably one the most beautiful counties in Ireland and is distinctly irish ,part of that is the language.

I think it's the attitude that Irish people should shut up ,speaking Irish. I think thats pretty ignorant.

The Irish language on it's own no longer represents Irishness. You can be Irish and not know any of the Irish language is the point I'm making. So I don't know why money is pumped into keeping it alive.

People can speak Irish if they wish, no one said they should shut up. Did you not read my posts.

That's great that Galway is beautiful - ending funding for TG4 won't change that.

We should end funding for RTÉ aswell so, i don't watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

Yea I watch twice as much on TG4 than I do on RTÉ 2. I think that RTÉ 2 should only get half the funding of TG4.

:roll:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The suggestion that it is too much to spend when we're broke.
    You didn't take into account what we get for 36 million or whatever it is. It's great value. You failed to quantify what 36 million means and how small it is in the grand scheme of things. We're in debt to the tune of 90 billion. TG4 is about 0.0003 or 0.03% of that. It's peanuts.

You saw 36 million, thought "my that's a big number" and decided that it was too much. You didn't do any sort of qualitative or comparative analysis. You just jumped the gun and this is probably why some people thought that your post was ignorant.

Yea I watch twice as much on TG4 than I do on RTÉ 2. I think that RTÉ 2 should only get half the funding of TG4.

:roll:

Can we leave the Premiership and the soccer though? :D

• Advertisement

The Irish language on it's own no longer represents Irishness. You can be Irish and not know any of the Irish language is the point I'm making. So I don't know why money is pumped into keeping it alive.

People can speak Irish if they wish, no one said they should shut up. Did you not read my posts.

That's great that Galway is beautiful - ending funding for TG4 won't change that.

You'd swear TG4 has the IMF here.

It's costs each TV licence holder ,62c per month ,to fund TG4. I really don't see the problem.

The suggestion that it is too much to spend when we're broke.
    You didn't take into account what we get for 36 million or whatever it is. It's great value. You failed to quantify what 36 million means and how small it is in the grand scheme of things. We're in debt to the tune of 90 billion. TG4 is about 0.0003 or 0.03% of that. It's peanuts.

You saw 36 million, thought "my that's a big number" and decided that it was too much. You didn't do any sort of qualitative or comparative analysis. You just jumped the gun and this is probably why some people thought that your post was ignorant.

So you don't think 36 million is a lot of money?

You'd swear TG4 has the IMF here.

It's costs each TV licence holder ,62c per month ,to fund TG4. I really don't see the problem.

I don't see the problem with stopping that funding.

I don't see the problem with stopping that funding.

It's creating employment.

It's alot of money but not in the context of running a TV station in the Western world

RTÉ is a bigger waste of money paying their "stars" €400,000-€500,000 per year, wake up

It's alot of money but not in the context of running a TV station in the Western world

RTÉ is a bigger waste of money paying their "stars" €400,000-€500,000 per year, wake up

This is not about RTE and the ridiculous salaries, this is about TG4.

At least you concede it's a lot of money, we're agreed on that.

This is not about RTE and the ridiculous salaries, this is about TG4.

At least you concede it's a lot of money, we're agreed on that.

€500 is alot of money to many these days, what's your point

Is it 'cause you don't watch it, we don't need it

For a mars bar, yes, it would be a lot of money. But for a decent tv station, it's pretty good value.

€500 is alot of money to many these days, what's your point

Is it 'cause you don't watch it, we don't need it

So you concede this is not about RTE and their salaries, why did you bring it up then?

Nothing wrong with TG4, I watch it the odd time. That's not the point. The money spent on the station is the issue at hand.

• Advertisement

Quality and viewership aren't necessarily correlated. In fact they might even be inversely correlated.

Advertisement