Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should TG4 be closed down in the 2011 budget?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

But G. translate isn't very good, in fact it is quite funny most of the time and only works to give a rough idea of what was written.
    It worked perfectly for that sentence earlier though. ( Although the original was funnier).

Yeah it's pretty crap, one time I typed in a sentence that had the word "play" in it, as in play a game and it translated it like play in the theatre, all the students using google translate for homework, it's so so obvious if you do, I made that mistake and realised it's easier to just start out with baby sentences and work from there.
    Anyway, this is totally from the point.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

storm2811 wrote: »
    I made that mistake and realised it's easier to just start out with baby sentences and work from there.
    Anyway, this is totally from the point.:pac:
    :D
    Sure isn't that how you learn.

G translate for Irish is really funny, there must be a few Anglophillic Gaelaphobes adding to it for a laugh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Absolutely, how the f*ck can someone moan about the money from our licence fees and government grants given to TG4, yet not see this is the real waste, paying exorbitant salaries like this.
    The money payed to the top half dozen RTE personalities could probably pay for another TV station. (this is AH I don't have to quote figures ;)).

I really hope those overpaid RTE guys and gals get a walloping in their salaries when the **** hits the fan over the next few months.
    Kenny 600k+
    Finucane 500k
    Tubridy 400k
    Duffy 400k

It's obscene. The one that sticks most in my throat is that yoke Duffy - another FF mouthpiece and he goes on like an aul'wan.

Also, watching TG4 I can pick up the odd phrase or three - it's not much, but watching and listening can increase my Irish vocabulary which is another plus.

I think the majority consensus is it punches well above it's weight and is an actual success story in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Keep TG4. :( It's the one channel I can watch and feel like I'm studying - I'd be so much worse at my Irish aural/oral without it.
    And 800 years etc. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

If Rte took over the production of irish language programming, the costs involved would nearly double and the quantity/quality would halve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

And I have no doubt Liam Ó Murchú would be brought out of retirement.

"Bualadh bos anois!" *

* Before I get told off for using Irish, it means "Clap your hands now!", and was Ó Murchú's irritating catchphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Let it die along with everything else Irish-language related.

How to even respond to this. TG4 is based in Ireland where our national language is IRISH. It always was, and always will be OUR language. Many people have strived for their entire lives to ensure that this incredibly important part of our culture lives on. If you are born within the confines of this Republic and don't consider Irish as your native language then IMO you can pack your bags and fuck off (we all know English is more practical but you cannot put a price on our heritage). People, a hell of a lot braver and more noble than you, died to ensure that this part of our culture would live on. If you don't like it then I'm sure you know where Dublin/Belfast airports are. (Mods please note that this is not a personal attack but an expression of my outrage on those 'Irish' who wish to dismiss our heritage with the simple stroke of a pen)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    And this from the person who's supporting a poster who is intolerant about a single line, a single line, being written in Irish on this thread. Jeeze.

If you get your facts clear, the poster wasn't replying to them: he/she was addressing viewers generally, most of whom appear to have had no difficulty understanding his/her single sentence in Irish. Amazingly.

The issue with not being able to understand that comment only had to be raised once. What's the point in 10 / 15 people responding in a similar fashion?

I didn't have a clue what it meant and appeared to me to be rather arrogant.
    Crosáidí wrote: »
    So your Irish teacher was a pr!ck, let's hate Irish
    If your science teacher was a pr!ck, would you hate science

He wasn't just suggesting the teacher. This topic has shown quite a number of Irish speaking posters being just as agressive about the cultural worth of the language, as those who don't care for it. The Irish speakers generally considering those who can't speak Irish as muppets.
    some_dose wrote: »
    How to even respond to this. TG4 is based in Ireland where our national language is IRISH. It always was, and always will be OUR language. Many people have strived for their entire lives to ensure that this incredibly important part of our culture lives on. If you are born within the confines of this Republic and don't consider Irish as your native language then IMO you can pack your bags and fuck off (we all know English is more practical but you cannot put a price on our heritage). People, a hell of a lot braver and more noble than you, died to ensure that this part of our culture would live on. If you don't like it then I'm sure you know where Dublin/Belfast airports are. (Mods please note that this is not a personal attack but an expression of my outrage on those 'Irish' who wish to dismiss our heritage with the simple stroke of a pen)

As per my response to the quote above...

I don't care for Irish. the Language, GAA, music, dancing... to me it's just a cock slap to the face.

In Saying that... any one who is interested in it.. fare enough, get what you want from it... don't throw it in my face.

In regards to TG4, I see no reason for it to be shut. There's a service provided by it that many people avail of. If one was to contimplate shutting it down for going over budget... are they taking into account how much it's going over budget in relation to how much RTE goes over budget?

In the grand scheme of things.. I wouldn't consider 36million euro as a lot of money to run a TV station. But if that's what's needed, they'll need to find a way to raise the extra funds required or determine where cut backs can be made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tg4 has quality programming. I like the documentaries and they show a lot of good shows instead of rte muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Close RTE 1 and 2 and put more funding into TG4 I say good chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

Aswerty wrote: »
    Close RTE 1 and 2 and put more funding into TG4 I say good chap.

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Let it die along with everything else Irish-language related.

As they would say on Ros Na Run, "seafóid!"....but I doubt you have a clue what that means. Cratúr bocht!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

The obvious solution is to can RTE 1 and 2 and remove the stupid dead Irish language from TG4 and keep their programmes and production values. We would save a fortune and would help the country move forward with the rest of the World.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    The obvious solution is to can RTE 1 and 2 and remove the stupid dead Irish language from TG4 and keep their programmes and production values. We would save a fortune and would help the country move forward with the rest of the World.

If you remove the Irish language from an Irish language TV channel, there isn't much left! :rolleyes:

About one days worth of interest repayment and that's before the IMF loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

He wasn't just suggesting the teacher. This topic has shown quite a number of Irish speaking posters being just as agressive about the cultural worth of the language, as those who don't care for it. The Irish speakers generally considering those who can't speak Irish as muppets.

I'd never consider anyone who doesn't speak Irish as a muppet, check my sig I'm only a learner myself, none of my family have an interest in Irish either.
    I apologise to the poster for my assumptions and him to me and everything's rosie, I don't see why you have to drag it back up, when it doesn't concern you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

some_dose wrote: »

How to respond to this.

Irish is not the national language. In case you haven't noticed this conversation is in English and less than 1% of the country speak Irish on a daily basis.

Just because you don't have any affection or loyalty to the Irish language does not make you unpatriotic.

Irish no longer represents Irishness.

How to respond to this.

Irish is not the national language. In case you haven't noticed this conversation is in English and less than 1% of the country speak Irish on a daily basis.

Just because you don't have any affection or loyalty to the Irish language does not make you unpatriotic.

Irish culture represents irishness and gaeilge is a part of irish culture

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Irish culture represents irishness and gaeilge is a part of irish culture
    There is more to irish culture then the irish language. And I think Daniel O'Connell would agree with me.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    There is more to irish culture then the irish language. And I think Daniel O'Connell would agree with me.

:rolleyes: Read my post again,
    a part of Irish culture

:rolleyes: Read my post again,
    Yes, and I said that there is more to Irish culture then the Irish language. If you want to focus on the language side that's fine. But pay for it yourself.

• Advertisement

Yes, and I said that there is more to Irish culture then the Irish language. If you want to focus on the language side that's fine. But pay for it yourself.

We do with taxes and tv licences

We do with taxes and tv licences
    Yeah and so does everyone one else. I was thinking footing the bill exclusively. In other words as a private company with those who want an Irish language brodcastor as subscribers. That's the fairest way to handle it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How to respond to this.

Which FF Cumann are you in ?

Because I can't really see the point of this thread unless it's to distract peoples attention to the political situation or maybe that they've only got till 24th november to check they are still entitled to vote.

www.checktheregister.ie is where people can confirm they are still on the voters register

if you aren't use this form http://www.checktheregister.ie/appforms/RFA1%20bilingual%20-%20form%20-%20on%20line.pdf

Yeah and so does everyone one else. I was thinking footing the bill exclusively. In other words as a private company with those who want an Irish language brodcastor as subscribers. That's the fairest way to handle it.

Do you mean like some of the free to air satellite channels with 20 minutes of adverts an hour! no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thats a pretty depressing view on our culture you have there. So many great Irish figures believed this is what made Ireland Irish. They attempted to convey this in English just to appeal to the majority. Pearce, Yeats, Synge, Joyce and Friel (relatively recent) all have excellent pieces of work regarding it. If you don't believe a language which is one of the oldest in Europe is not linked to culture well then theres no point in arguing with you.

Which FF Cumann are you in ?

Because I can't really see the point of this thread unless it's to distract peoples attention to the political situation or maybe that they've only got till 24th november to check they are still entitled to vote.

www.checktheregister.ie is where people can confirm they are still on the voters register

if you aren't use this form http://www.checktheregister.ie/appforms/RFA1%20bilingual%20-%20form%20-%20on%20line.pdf

Good point, an election could be announced as soon as the end of next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Good point, an election could be announced as soon as the end of next week!

Wouldn't vote FF in a fit, but god almighty, none of the rest seem any more capable!

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Thats a pretty depressing view on our culture you have there. So many great Irish figures believed this is what made Ireland Irish. They attempted to convey this in English just to appeal to the majority. Pearce, Yeats, Synge, Joyce and Friel (relatively recent) all have excellent pieces of work regarding it. If you don't believe a language which is one of the oldest in Europe is not linked to culture well then theres no point in arguing with you.
    Daniel O'Connell was a great Irish figure who worked hard to convince people to speak english.
    Do you mean like some of the free to air satellite channels with 20 minutes of adverts an hour! no thanks!
    Not necessarily. Of course it would depend on the number of subscribers but I was thinking along the lines of a mainstream commercial station like TV3 or UTV except smaller and Irish speaking.

I have to pay for RTÉ and i don't watch it, we live in a democracy, that promotes liberty and equality that tries to cater for every need of their citizens

• Advertisement

Daniel O'Connell was a great Irish figure who worked hard to convince people to speak english.

Daniel O'Connell was also an Irish speaker

Advertisement