Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

kilburn wrote: »
    On a side note Jesus will they ever cut all the weeds that grew into 20ft trees down along the canal so we can actually see the bloody thing.

You'd probably find a small army of willing volunteers to do it, if they had someone to supervise the process. Alas, it'd probably be complicated by conservation concerns and insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You'd probably find a small army of willing volunteers to do it, if they had someone to supervise the process. Alas, it'd probably be complicated by conservation concerns and insurance costs.

Is it the council, is it waterways ireland or is it the OPW? Hard to know.

Like anything we'd need a councillor to use it frequently enough that they can make noise about it otherwise nothing will likely be done.

As an aside if you find local news from over the past 2-3 months you will people I know of were stopped by the council cleaning up the section of the river by Clancy Strand and the Condell road. The council told them they've no risk assessment, insurance etc and they must cease their civic community spirit in case something happens to them clearing rubbish, weeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭geotrig

My t'uppence:
    I think it's a great move. Fair play to them.
    I would even go as far as saying visionary (feel free to pull me up on that claim). The Limerick Leader article has John explaining the rationale behind it.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/570305/expansion-of-limerick-restaurant-will-include-rooftop-garden-and-new-cafe.html
    But Limerick needs these type of people and projects.
    This man is willing to put his money where his mouth is and provide a service, he deserves praise in my eyes.
    There's far more crying out for public money for projects that won't last a few months.
    Lads. give credit where credit is due, in fairness.
    I predict it will be a success, he didn't just think of this last night over a few cans with the lads. There's years of thought and planning gone into this.
    Best of luck John and family.
    well said and hope it can revitalise the place a bit as its a beautifull part of town that is under utilised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭geotrig

Berty wrote: »
    Is it the council, is it waterways ireland or is it the OPW? Hard to know.

Like anything we'd need a councillor to use it frequently enough that they can make noise about it otherwise nothing will likely be done.

As an aside if you find local news from over the past 2-3 months you will people I know of were stopped by the council cleaning up the section of the river by Clancy Strand and the Condell road. The council told them they've no risk assessment, insurance etc and they must cease their civic community spirit in case something happens to them clearing rubbish, weeds etc.

lol i cant find a facepalm big enough

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Berty wrote: »

That was a pair of brothers, if I remember correctly. They did a hell of a job. Loads of rubbish and debris cleared, weeds cut back, etc. I think they even had plans to use the driftwood on-site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

geotrig wrote: »
    lol i cant find a facepalm big enough
    What the council did there sounds petty, but compo culture means that they didn't really have a choice. The two lads had great intentions (and did a great job from what I could tell), but spiraling public liability insurance costs means that they were always going to be told to stop once what they were doing came to the attention of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That was a pair of brothers, if I remember correctly. They did a hell of a job. Loads of rubbish and debris cleared, weeds cut back, etc. I think they even had plans to use the driftwood on-site.

Same brothers spent money on what they needed and called in a few favours to get the waste/excess taken away in vans. One or two councillors took the story and the LL got involved at one stage.

I only mention that in response to those wanting the canal cleared. The council won't allow people to do it and again you'd wonder is it the coucil, OPW or Waterways Ireland anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

kilburn wrote: »
    On a side note Jesus will they ever cut all the weeds that grew into 20ft trees down along the canal so we can actually see the bloody thing.

Quick reply here of the top of my head; rushing out the door currently, I'll probe deeper later on and get you a proper response and to all replies underneath Kilburns

Now, the Treed (tree/weed) apparently is unique to the lower River Shannon basin and if you cast your minds back to 2014 when Limerick Smarter travel had plans to build a boardwalk along the river to complement the original tow path from Clare street to UL on the Southern/Eastern side of the River? It was to place the boardwalk and remove these Treeds.

Remember?
    Anyway, they had to scrap those plans.
    Because: The Treed. Everyone had thought it was just a giant weed, it produces no fruit, no wood can be harvested etc, however it's an indigenous species and had to be spared according to ?????? I can't remember right now.

LST had to return to the drawing board and come up with the plan - what is in place at the moment. If you observe the current path, you will see it avoids these treeds.
    Anyway Kilburn et al, Hold out, I'll get an answer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

As a quick follow up they removed all the tree/weeds from Sir Harry's mall in the last 6 weeks or so.

They can do it when they want.

How fantastic and how much safer would the canal be if it was like the Canals in Dublin, where you can see all the way across, I was on the bridge that crosses from Rhebogue side up to Irish Estates and in parts you would be lucky to get a canoe through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    The petrol station building, I think.
    An 8M high fast food building overhanging the canal a little, just down the road from a new school, seems a terrible thing to put there.

Christ by that reasoning both the pubs beside or opposite the school should cease trading.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Did that guy not chop down trees by the pier?

Alot of work being done on the outside of Subway O Connell street a whole new front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just to go back to the petrol station on Clare St, drove past this morning and the unleaded was priced at 134.8, the other stations around the city were all between 122-124. A crazy difference.

New cafe pizza tapas wine place opening in Foxes Now called Melody LK
    The guys running run an all night nightclub with BYBO drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

bigpink wrote: »

I assume that's Foxes Bow? I wonder if it's the same premises where The Stormy Teacup was

I assume that's Foxes Bow? I wonder if it's the same premises where The Stormy Teacup was

Yeah looks to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I didn't realise The Stormy Teacup was closed. I think the guy behind it opened a shortlived cafe on Catherine St, disappeared not too long after opening IIRC.

Opening tomorrow but no pics or menu up yet.Wonder it more a drink place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

When did the stormy teacup close down? Last post on social media is last September alright but there is no mention at all of closing its doors.

I thought it was supposed to be doing pretty well.

Jofspring wrote: »
    When did the stormy teacup close down? Last post on social media is last September alright but there is no mention at all of closing its doors.

I was deffo closed early August last yeatmr my niece wanted to get the fancy hot chocolate and we went twice closed up.
    I think that's where melody is opening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

bigpink wrote: »

Think i saw that on rte news the other night, they mentioned trying to open up for last 6 months, and first day they open new rules come in regarding needing to record what food was being ordered etc..
    Good way to get publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Jofspring wrote: »

Place went to muck, and heard from others that when it was closed it got ripped apart and left in quite a dangerous way.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

is lidl still being built across from westbury does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Check the Clare forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Yes, work started a little while ago to clear the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Check the Clare forum.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Doh pizza is opening on o connell Street. Not sure what building but wonder is it where the donut place used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Doh pizza is opening on o connell Street. Not sure what building but wonder is it where the donut place used to be?

I walked past there this morning and there was some people inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

CosmicFool wrote: »

Google says 36 O'Connell St which seems to be around the Wokking area, opposite Findlater, is there an empty unit there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Skuxx wrote: »
    Google says 36 O'Connell St which seems to be around the Wokking area, opposite Findlater, is there an empty unit there?

The original badass burritio premises. Has been renovated over the past 12 months.

Advertisement