Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

bigpink wrote: »
    Really?Just a franchise then?
    I didn't get that impression from talking to the lads running the place. Seemed to me that they were an independent coffee shop, stocking Irish roasters..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it a hipster place or regular grub etc

Is it a hipster place or regular grub etc
    Don't know if I would describe it as hipster, but would be aiming for the same market as canteen or Rift. Maybe they're considered hipster, I don't know :confused: Not sure if Fika actually do food either

Don't know if I would describe it as hipster, but would be aiming for the same market as canteen or Rift. Maybe they're considered hipster, I don't know :confused: Not sure if Fika actually do food either

Deffo hipster so.My friend wanted Canteen recently she always raving about it..got takeaway..some rip off and hungry after it.
    Rift is a joke too the size of the coffee thought it a pisstake

• Registered Users Posts: 24,923 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Deffo hipster so.My friend wanted Canteen recently she always raving about it..got takeaway..some rip off and hungry after it.

I love rift as I love small strong coffee and the staff are excellent. Normally I just want to get my coffee in silence and leave but I genuinely enjoy the chat there.

I don't understand why people go into these places and get shocked and angry as it's pretty clear walking in that it's "hipster" and you won't be getting a big pot of crap coffee and a cheap sandwich

I think the confusion with Fika being independent is that Fika is a Scandinavian work that gets used all over the work in regards to coffee and there is a Fika chain in the U.S. but nothing to do with these guys

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I love rift as I love small strong coffee and the staff are excellent. Normally I just want to get my coffee in silence and leave but I genuinely enjoy the chat there.

I don't understand why people go into these places and get shocked and angry as it's pretty clear walking in that it's "hipster" and you won't be getting a big pot of crap coffee and a cheap sandwich

Yeah I deffo got conned by Canteen but they seem to go there in droves
    Rift was suggested as a place to get coffee near the park but the size of it for the price

Hook and Ladder opening in Punches Cross there is a big banner up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

That Green Yard Cafe that's there is lovely. Has it been open during Covid?

Rift was suggested as a place to get coffee near the park but the size of it for the price

No one conned you. You were not ripped off or cheated in any way

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No one conned you. You were not ripped off or cheated in any way

10 years now I'm trying to get used to Bigpink's posting style, and I still can't deal with it. The negativity and all-pervading cynicism are just relentless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

They aren't, the banner is advertising their brands, thanking front line workers for their efforts and thanking the rest of us for shopping local.

Kilboor wrote: »
    That Green Yard Cafe that's there is lovely. Has it been open during Covid?

Was open between lockdowns but has been closed during the lockdowns despite having a take away menu.

You get what you pay for though. You can go to Gleeson's and get a vat of swill or you can go to Rift and get a smaller cup of decent coffee. Same with Canteen, I'm sure I can go to Supermacs and get a whole heap of food for the same price as some items in Canteen, but the stuff from Canteen will be of a far better quality and that costs more.

It's the same across every possible thing you can buy, you can go to Penny's for shoes and spend under €10, or you can go to an actual shoe shop and spend over €100. Chances are you'll have bought 10 pairs from Penny's in the same length of time it takes the €100 pair to wear down a little.

Are there any old greesy spoon cafes left in the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Are there any old greesy spoon cafes left in the city centre?

Enzo's on William St?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Haven't eaten in canteen so can't comment but with the small coffee. They use the same amount of coffee as other places but use less water. Its not going to be boiled to death water either. The coffee is rift is georgeous and you'll get the same kick from it as other places. Those other places just add more hot water to make it seem like you're getting more but in fact you're not. You're getting the same amount of coffee.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Haven't eaten in canteen so can't comment but with the small coffee. They use the same amount of coffee as other places but use less water. Its not going to be boiled to death water either. The coffee is rift is georgeous and you'll get the same kick from it as other places. Those other places just add more hot water to make it seem like you're getting more but in fact you're not. You're getting the same amount of coffee.

And the nice people at Canteen and Rift will add loads of extra water or run the coffee machine longer if you ask

CosmicFool wrote: »

Coffee is just coffee flavoured water by design. Is Rift the place on Denmark St? We got coffees there not long after it opened, €3.50 a pop and we had to pour them out, they were awful. Maybe they have improved a bit since then, I certainly hope so anyway. We aren't coffee snobs but know a good one from a bad one and what we got was frankly awful.

Enzo's on William St?

I suppose but do people actually go in there just for a cup of tea. Ide be more thinking places like Katy's where rift is now

Coffee is just coffee flavoured water by design. Is Rift the place on Denmark St? We got coffees there not long after it opened, €3.50 a pop and we had to pour them out, they were awful. Maybe they have improved a bit since then, I certainly hope so anyway. We aren't coffee snobs but know a good one from a bad one and what we got was frankly awful.
    Rift is on Mallow St. Maybe you're thinking of Duo?

• Advertisement

Rift is on Mallow St. Maybe you're thinking of Duo?

There's 3 spots round there. Papa's has been there about 10 years now and there is a little cafe next to it across the path and then duo is the little one with the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Folks stick with your cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit you can't go wrong twas far from hipster coffee we were rared !

God Katy's and the Red Rose Cafe missed
    Also O Connors

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

source wrote: »
    They aren't, the banner is advertising their brands, thanking front line workers for their efforts and thanking the rest of us for shopping local.

B.P was wrong?
    They caught the wrong end of the stick and jumped to the wrong idea?
    Well, I for one am shocked, absolutely shocked that they tripped over an erroneous conclusion! ;)

God Katy's and the Red Rose Cafe missed
    Also O Connors

Red rose was the one by the station that I couldn't think of the name of all day. That and Katy's were great breakfasts but I never understood the love for O'Connors. Went a few times and thought it was very average boring stuff a bit like Greene's but still sad to see em go as other people loved em

There's 3 spots round there. Papa's has been there about 10 years now and there is a little cafe next to it across the path and then duo is the little one with the shop

You're right. It was Duo. Muck. Thanks, I haven't been in my beloved Limerick since August 2019, I'm beginning to forget things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

think the confusion with Fika being independent is that Fika is a Scandinavian work that gets used all over the work in regards to coffee and there is a Fika chain in the U.S. but nothing to do with these guys

They're using the same logo as the franchise in the U.S. - surely they wouldnt risk that unless they were part of the same company

Mc Love wrote: »
    They're using the same logo as the franchise in the U.S. - surely they wouldnt risk that unless they were part of the same company
    EmYp83GW4AIS9CX.jpg

FikaCoffeeContext3.jpgfika.jpgSimilar but different and the Limerick cafe is registered with a business address in Limerick although I dont know enough to be sure that rules out a franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Dealz opening in The Crescent.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/588578/discount-retailer-to-open-new-store-in-limerick.html

I can’t tell if Dealz is on the way up or the Crescent on the way down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭moby2101

Crescent was always a kip to be fair

Advertisement