Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I passed it yesterday and it is EXACTLY how I imagined it. Full of awful cheap crap like the rest of the stores. Awful.

Was in Eason. Down to one floor now and selling the basics. Basement in bad shape so closed off as is upstairs.

Pana store in Cork is virtually the same. No magazines anymore, just cheap books and DVD’s.
    I reckon Easons are on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Pana store in Cork is virtually the same. No magazines anymore, just cheap books and DVD’s. I reckon Easons are on the way out.

They have moved to a franchise model I believe the high street stores are legacy stores they are winding down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Parents buy the kids Marvel comics these days instead of books

bigpink wrote:

Mores the pity....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bigpink wrote: »
    kilburn wrote: »
    Mores the pity....

I was buying comics and graphic novels as a kid 30 years ago. Marvel has been around for 50-60 years. It's not a new thing.

I haven't bought a physical book in nearly a decade though. That's the issue with the likes of Easons, not the kids buying comics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Newsoms & Spaights all did a great trade Bus stops right outside the door

...and that's why they are still open and trading sucessfully :rolleyes:.

We both know that retail has changed dramatically in the past 20 years. People in general want to shop for DIY items in much larger Retail outlets, which cannot fit within the City Environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

As always sad to see a seller of books closing down - more walk-ins for O'Mahoney's/Quay Books/Celtic etc etc which could be good for them.
    In other news Eason's are offloading properties (ca €20m divvied out among 230 shareholders) The plan was to offload major flagship properties such as O'Connell Street, Dublin (Sell, divvy up, lease back) along with some more dotted around the country and a major investment property in Athlone bringing in up to €100m. Covid19 put a halt to those plans.

Sadly ca 140 North and 150 Republic job loses have been seen, but Eason's are not going away.
    They turned over €4 in online sales since March alone, their annual turnover over the last couple of years is around €130m.
    So in Irish terms, they are still a major player.

I'm fascinated by the history of certain firms in Ireland and Eason's would be one of them. In Limerick, in the past, the only place to purchase the Irish Times was in Eason's.
    There is an amazing history behind these firms and how they were viewed and were operated as we moved from being part of the United Kingdom to Saorstát na hÉireann to Poblacht na hÉireann to The Republic of Ireland.
    Now, there's one for you.

Never said Marvel comics were a new thing.

I was more of a Star Trek fan and was horrified when Forbidden Planet closed.

I always try to buy my oldest books rather than comics or crappy mags.

I genuinely fear for the next generations there is so much to learn from Adrian Mole, Famous 5, Secret 7, Roald Dahl, the Beano annual and Enid Blyton but if it's not on YouTube........

Never said Marvel comics were a new thing.

I was more of a Star Trek fan and was horrified when Forbidden Planet closed.

I always try to buy my oldest books rather than comics or crappy mags.

I genuinely fear for the next generations there is so much to learn from Adrian Mole, Famous 5, Secret 7, Roald Dahl, the Beano annual and Enid Blyton but if it's not on YouTube........

It was Bigpink who mentioned Marvel. There was a lot more than marvel too. Victor, Commando, 2000AD....

Loved forbidden planet too. Used to have to take an empty backpack on every trip to Dublin to stock up on Sci Fi books after it closed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nothing wrong with comics as part of a balanced diet. You have to appreciate the artistry in those.

Everyone in the world of books sales and publishing is competing with Amazon. That is the real challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Nothing wrong with comics as part of a balanced diet. You have to appreciate the artistry in those.

Everyone in the world of books sales and publishing is competing with Amazon. That is the real challenge.

You can't browse books on Amazon like you can in O'Mahoney's or any other decent bookshop. And I would pay for that premium.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can't browse books on Amazon like you can in O'Mahoney's or any other decent bookshop. And I would pay for that premium.

I'm with you there. O'Mahoney's in Limerick have a great section upstairs for local writers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭pigtown

A new shop has opened in Castletroy Town Centre selling local artists' and designers' work. The same people who closed a similar shop in Adare earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭pigtown

According to the Leader The Hungry Lyons are opening a new restaurant with roof terrace at the canal on Clare Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

pigtown wrote: »
    According to the Leader The Hungry Lyons are opening a new restaurant with roof terrace at the canal on Clare Street.

God anyone except this operator.A manky fast food place on the canal
    But great for a independent food business

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Can’t make out where exactly it’s going?

Is it where the petrol is?

If so, what an awful location.

Edit: I know where it is now. Again, awful location

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

L-M wrote: »
    Can’t make out where exactly it’s going?

Is it where the petrol is?

If so, what an awful location.

Edit: I know where it is now. Again, awful location

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

They own the petrol station there at the corner so presumably above

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Treepole wrote: »
    Where is it?

There's a derelict site behind the petrol station on Clare St, would assume in there if they're talking about it being on the canal and renovate the petrol station to allow people access Supermacs

Kilboor wrote: »
    They own the petrol station there at the corner so presumably above

Correct. It's the petrol station here. The buildings forming the V around the forecourt canopy are to be redeveloped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Correct. It's the petrol station here. The buildings forming the V around the forecourt canopy are to be redeveloped.

Always seemed like a very awkward spot to pull into. I assume they'll greatly increase car park capacity by knocking those buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Treepole wrote: »
    Where is it?

The petrol station building, I think.
    An 8M high fast food building overhanging the canal a little, just down the road from a new school, seems a terrible thing to put there.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    The petrol station building, I think.
    An 8M high fast food building overhanging the canal a little, just down the road from a new school, seems a terrible thing to put there.
    Look at the map. It's not even close to overhanging the canal. There's a 10m wide path between the building an the canal. And from what I can see on the plans, other than the lift /stairs the building is just under 6m tall along the canal path.

Look at the map. It's not even close to overhanging the canal. There's a 10m wide path between the building an the canal. And from what I can see on the plans, other than the lift /stairs the building is just under 6m tall along the canal path.

I should have phrased it better, as it seems to overhang the canal area a little, not the canal itself. the total building height looked 8M from the quick look I had at the plans, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

It's better than what's there anyway in my opinion. All the best to them anyway especially breaking away from McDonagh and going it alone

My t'uppence:
    I think it's a great move. Fair play to them.
    I would even go as far as saying visionary (feel free to pull me up on that claim). The Limerick Leader article has John explaining the rationale behind it.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/570305/expansion-of-limerick-restaurant-will-include-rooftop-garden-and-new-cafe.html
    But Limerick needs these type of people and projects.
    This man is willing to put his money where his mouth is and provide a service, he deserves praise in my eyes.
    There's far more crying out for public money for projects that won't last a few months.
    Lads. give credit where credit is due, in fairness.
    I predict it will be a success, he didn't just think of this last night over a few cans with the lads. There's years of thought and planning gone into this.
    Best of luck John and family.

Making the area busier might get the dropouts to move on a bit

Damn right it will. The people who lurk in the shadows don't like any light been shone in their direction.

Kilboor wrote: »
    It's better than what's there anyway in my opinion. All the best to them anyway especially breaking away from McDonagh and going it alone

You know something, I'd agree with you there. Might not be ideal, but it is a significant step in the right direction. Better to look at the glass half full than half empty.

• Advertisement

On a side note Jesus will they ever cut all the weeds that grew into 20ft trees down along the canal so we can actually see the bloody thing.

Advertisement