Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭black & white

Heard a guy on Ian Dempsey this morning saying he is opening a record shop on Thomas St next Monday and employing some of the ex HMV staff. Delighted to hear that and hope it does well, I'll certainly be spending a few bob in there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Delighted to hear that and hope it does well

Happy for him also and fair play to him but it wont do well, there is a reason why 99% of these stores have closed in the last 10 years.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Happy for him also and fair play to him but it wont do well, there is a reason why 99% of these stores have closed in the last 10 years.

That may be so but I usually buy 30/40 cd/vinyl a year, most of them while browsing rather than going in looking for something in particular. Since HMV went I have bought 1 from iTunes as I prefer a physical object so I will be spending at least 400 euro a year in there if their stock is anyway decent. Time will tell but good luck to him for trying

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Heard a guy on Ian Dempsey this morning saying he is opening a record shop on Thomas St next Monday and employing some of the ex HMV staff. Delighted to hear that and hope it does well, I'll certainly be spending a few bob in there regularly.

Its being opened by the people that own the musical instrument shop on Steamboat Quay. The instruments are staying down in the quay (but in a new shop unit) and it'll be cd/vinyl, DVD/Blu-ray in the Thomas Street place. Hopefully interesting merchandise too. I don't think they'll be doing games though as the city is well served in that respect.

Supposed to be opening tomorrow, 7th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That may be so but I usually buy 30/40 cd/vinyl a year, most of them while browsing rather than going in looking for something in particular. Since HMV went I have bought 1 from iTunes as I prefer a physical object so I will be spending at least 400 euro a year in there if their stock is anyway decent. Time will tell but good luck to him for trying

OK, but you are probably one of the 5% or less who still consume music (or film) that way. Most download or stream so there is simply not a sufficient market for such firms to make a profit (hence the fall of HMV, Virgin megastore, Zavvi, Xtravision, Chartbusters etc). Yes, there will always be a niche market for physical product for the foreseable future but that will decline with each generation that passes so good luck to this guy trying this venture - a brave move IMO. I can't remember the last time I bought a physical CD - I think it was Amy Winehouse Back to Black back in 2008....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Passed by Punches today. Looks like there's work going on in the restaurant. Wonder if will be for the students only or everybody.

leo78 wrote: »
    Passed by Punches today. Looks like there's work going on in the restaurant. Wonder if will be for the students only or everybody.

Hopefully they open something up to the public. Me and my family might try and avoid it though....for the sake of the people of Limerick and heres why:

1) Had my 21st in old Clohessys and it closed down shortly afterwards.

2) My sister and my cousin had their joint 40th in Punches and that closed down a few weeks later.

3) My mothers 60th was in a well known place in Newcastle West and that closed down a few weeks later.

We as a family jinx popular Limerick establishments so it seems. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hopefully they open something up to the public. Me and my family might try and avoid it though....for the sake of the people of Limerick and heres why:

1) Had my 21st in old Clohessys and it closed down shortly afterwards.

2) My sister and my cousin had their joint 40th in Punches and that closed down a few weeks later.

3) My mothers 60th was in a well known place in Newcastle West and that closed down a few weeks later.

We as a family jinx popular Limerick establishments so it seems. :o

Will ye book the next party in Russell's please?

Will ye book the next party in Russell's please?

I kinda like Russels :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

leo78 wrote: »

Cafe coffee shop opening

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    Cafe coffee shop opening

Really? FFS!

Really? FFS!

Know people that live on that toad and thats the word

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I kinda like Russels :o

It's very hit and miss. When it's good, it's close to being amazing (food wise). When it's bad... 'Nuff said.

Their history of staff isn't great though from what I've experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

jaxxx wrote: »
    It's very hit and miss. When it's good, it's close to being amazing (food wise). When it's bad... 'Nuff said.

Their history of staff isn't great though from what I've experienced.

It's the staff I had issue with. I had the worst experience of service about 5 years ago and swore I'd never go back and I've kept my word!

To be honest I'm rarely in Russels. Might have been there once this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

To be honest I'm rarely in Russels. Might have been there once this year.

It was grand when they did the 2 for €16 on the dinners, (granted that was 5 yrs ago!) now it's 2 for €22, not worth it IMO as all the food is just nuked.

And the decor needs an update, looking very run down lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

I was there recently for grub and it was really nice, the staff were very helpful and pleasant, couldn't really fault it to be honest.

Edit - Except the decor, the decor definitely needs an update.

Popped in at lunchtime and bought a CD, the stock levels are low enough but I was told there's a lot more due in over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Wasn't a big fan of Russells before but had 2 nice meals there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Wasn't a big fan of Russells before but had 2 nice meals there recently.

I go there most Sundays and their carvery is one of the best and most consistent anywhere in town.

• Advertisement

Popped in at lunchtime and bought a CD, the stock levels are low enough but I was told there's a lot more due in over the next couple of weeks.

What CD did you buy? :P Much vinyl in stock? Bought a boot load (thats the only way I can describe it) of vinyl off a former work mate about 3 years ago for 20 quid. Bargain of the century. I have every intention of building up a collection that would take a LWB high roof Transit to transport.

Ben Dunne gyms are opening a Limerick branch

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Ben Dunne gyms are opening a Limerick branch

Where?

Harambe wrote: »
    Where?

Not sure just seen it on twitter opening in carlow waterford limerick my friend works in the industry he had a tweet about it

What CD did you buy? :P Much vinyl in stock? Bought a boot load (thats the only way I can describe it) of vinyl off a former work mate about 3 years ago for 20 quid. Bargain of the century. I have every intention of building up a collection that would take a LWB high roof Transit to transport.

Coldplay. Only discovered them in the last year or so and I'm catching up on their older stuff. A good vinyl selection, probably more vinyl than cd I'd say. It's early days but I recognised the staff as ex HMV, very friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

Not sure just seen it on twitter opening in carlow waterford limerick my friend works in the industry he had a tweet about it

Opening in Eastpoint http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/16971/0

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

The toilets in The Rock bar are downstairs as well.

No they're not.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Sicky wrote: »
    No they're not.:rolleyes:

I know I was fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I might be blind but I didn't see anyone post confirmation on this, just rumours.

Passed the HMV unit in the Crescent today and there were posters up (with Easons branding) advertising new jobs. Also lots of work going on inside by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭RINO87

Galway Bay Brewery Facebook page says they've finally started work on the bar in Limerick. Anyone passing O'Donnells and can confirm this??

Pity I don't actually live there anymore, but hey even more excuses to return!!

Advertisement