Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Vanquished wrote:
    Application lodged for a drive-thru KFC at the Ennis Road retail park. On that vacant site across from the Gaelic Grounds.

That's great we needed a KFC out this side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote:
    Application lodged for a drive-thru KFC at the Ennis Road retail park. On that vacant site across from the Gaelic Grounds.

How many junk food joints is that in the area now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

zulutango wrote:

3 currently

Supermacs, McDonald's and rios
    KFC opening will make 4

Don't see anything wrong with it more choice for the weekly visit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

dunworth1 wrote: »
    3 currently

Supermacs, McDonald's and rios
    KFC opening will make 4

Don't see anything wrong with it more choice for the weekly visit

The problem of course is that some will visit all 4 every week!!:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Passed Rios (Ennis road) tonight at 7:45pm and it was all closed up. Found that strange on a Saturday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

zulutango wrote: »

Junkfood nation. No wonder we are on course to be the most obese nation in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Junkfood nation. No wonder we are on course to be the most obese nation in Europe.

Yes, because the proliferation of US fast food outlets is unique to Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just pass them by if you don't want to eat their food.

Yes, because the proliferation of US fast food outlets is unique to Ireland

What do you reckon the reasons are?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What do you reckon the reasons are?

The reasons are numerous. Lack of excercise, portion sizes, processed food, supermarkets selling cheap junk food and sugar laden drinks cheaper that fresh produce are just some.

Fast food restuarants are prolific everywhere. I was recently in Budapest. You couldn't find a street that didn't have at least one of McDonalds/KFC/Burger King/Subway on it. The same can be said of the UK, Poland, Germany, France, Netherlands. All countries I've visited in the last 2 years. As I said the proliferation of US fast food outlets is not unique to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Fast food restuarants are prolific everywhere. I was recently in Budapest. You couldn't find a street that didn't have at least one of McDonalds/KFC/Burger King/Subway on it. The same can be said of the UK, Poland, Germany, France, Netherlands. All countries I've visited in the last 2 years. As I said the proliferation of US fast food outlets is not unique to Ireland.

I wonder what the proliferation is per capita. Those cities and countries have big and dense populations. I'd imagine I'm a lot of those places they're satisfying a tourist demand also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

The reasons are numerous. Lack of excercise, portion sizes, processed food, supermarkets selling cheap junk food and sugar laden drinks cheaper that fresh produce are just some.

Yeah nobody made that claim in this thread.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just pass them by if you don't want to eat their food.

Maybe the junk food should be taxed to the hilt to compensate for the taxes spent dealing with the chronic health issues of obese people.

Maybe the junk food should be taxed to the hilt to compensate for the taxes spent dealing with the chronic health issues of obese people.

Cigarettes and alcohol are taxed heavily too but we still have chronic health issues from both so slapping a higher tax on everything seldom solves these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

While we are at it should start handing out fines to those who are overweight and don t get any or enough exercise a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Frocks & Frills opened up in Castletroy Shopping Centre, Meadows and Byrne was due to open at the weekend...

A few more units being fitted out and others reserved...

Cigarettes and alcohol are taxed heavily too but we still have chronic health issues from both so slapping a higher tax on everything seldom solves these problems.

It doesn't solve them, but the tax goes a long way towards paying for the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Frocks & Frills opened up in Castletroy Shopping Centre, Meadows and Byrne was due to open at the weekend...

A few more units being fitted out and others reserved...

Great news for Castletroy - now Jetland needs a few more places opened

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Meadows and Byrne was due to open at the weekend...

Sign on the door yesterday saying it was opening today. The shop looked fully kitted out.

It doesn't solve them, but the tax goes a long way towards paying for the consequences.

Does it though, all it does is shovel more money into the bottomless pit that is the Irish health system. Anyway this is gone way off topic at this stage.

• Advertisement

Does it though, all it does is shovel more money into the bottomless pit that is the Irish health system. Anyway this is gone way off topic at this stage.

What's the alternative? Smokers pay the full and direct costs of their choice to smoke? Or should everybody else pay?

I wish there was a quick and easy answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Just saw on Facebook that O'Sullivans Pharmacy are moving into the old Munster store.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭phog

Just saw on Facebook that O'Sullivans Pharmacy are moving into the old Munster store.

Moving or opening another store? I thought they had a great location on Sarsfield St corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

What's the alternative? Smokers pay the full and direct costs of their choice to smoke? Or should everybody else pay?

If we operated that way we would be like the US where having something as common as cancer will bankrupt you unless you are paying thousands a year for health insurance.

Why should someone who has cancer from smoking not be covered and someone who has cancer from spending to much time in the sun be covered? It gets real murky right? Both were conscious decisions.

It's not a pick and choose system, if one person is covered under our health system then everyone should be. By adding qualifiers to the system you might as well scrap the whole thing.

phog wrote: »
    Moving or opening another store? I thought they had a great location on Sarsfield St corner.

Moving apparently. Maybe there's a bigger market for Brut and Lynx aftershave a block up?

https://m.facebook.com/179583348748703/photos/a.192066324167072.42905.179583348748703/1907704875936533/?type=3&source=48

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

phog wrote: »

Moving apparently. Maybe there's a bigger market for Brut and Lynx aftershave a block up?

https://m.facebook.com/179583348748703/photos/a.192066324167072.42905.179583348748703/1907704875936533/?type=3&source=48

Time to get the wrecking ball to that corner unit on O'Connell Street then? Put something in there that maximises the space and location?

Time to get the wrecking ball to that corner unit on O'Connell Street then? Put something in there that maximises the space and location?

Wouldn't look great empty over the Christmas or an extended period of time. Hopefully whatever's happening happens fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ah, that move might make more sense, I thought it was O'Sullivan's on the corner of Sarsfield St & Liddy St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

That entire O'Connell Street block is pretty miserable. It's been butchered so badly since the 1970s that it's no longer of any architectural merit. The only building worth retaining is the art deco style Permanent TSB. Bank of Ireland did a reasonable job of updating their horriffic brown brick atrocity a couple of years back but it still looks like a building more suited to a suburban office park than an important city centre corner site.

A complete redevelopment of the block was suggested back around 2008. But with many different property owners involved it would be a difficult feat to accomplish. We've seen how incredibly stubborn Dunnes Stores are in these situations. Happy to sit on deteriorating properties rather than sell them off.

The O'Connell Street/Sarsfield Street corner would certainly benefit from appropriate redevelopment. The current building is at least a storey too short and fails to maximise the site footprint. A replacement in traditional style would work well here.

The O'Connell Street/Roches Street corner is another mess but it'd be tough enough to shift the Chicken Hut I'd imagine!

Advertisement