Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

zg3409 wrote: »
    3 points is a warning and it had no effect on my insurance. They are gone in 3 years. Its basically a slap on the wrist. 6 points within 3 years increases insurance, you had better start slowing down, 12 points within 3 years gets you a ban. The whole points system is designed as a fair warning system, versus the old system of court or no court which meant most never got prosecuted, and speeding was far worse back then.

Now the system is far from perfect, I passed 3 different vans on the one day, but its far less strict than many countries.

3 points increased my insurance by €75 each year for the 3 years.
    So although I got an €80 fine, doing 60 in a 50 cost me €305 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what state you are referring to but in NSW its 10 years with a clean record, I got a ticket from a fixed camera 92kph in an 80 and my friend who is a HWP cop said I can appeal if I have 10 years clean record. I had 9 years and 10 months from my last infringement so I pleaded for clemency and they didn't accept it and said it has to be 10 years. LOL

Cops are different matter, they have discretion and like my friend said he takes driving record and the seriousness of the offence into account and in my case would have probably give me a caution.

My last was a Hume highway speed camera in VIC driving from Gold Coast to Melbourne.
    The fine arrived to my son. I was driving his car.
    He nominated me and my appeal was successful.
    It was VIC police, civic compliance, who told me in letter form that the warning lasts 5 years.
    3 years completed..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

blackis200 wrote: »
    My last was a Hume highway speed camera in VIC driving from Gold Coast to Melbourne.
    The fine arrived to my son. I was driving his car.
    He nominated me and my appeal was successful.
    It was VIC police, civic compliance, who told me in letter form that the warning lasts 5 years.
    3 years completed..

ah yes but Vic is a bit different once you get 12 points you get a suspension, in NSW Unrestricted drivers need to get 13 points (14 if a professional driver) to get suspended. (P-Platers are way less)

suspension is usually 3 months and 1 month for every 4 points over the limit.

Both states have good behavior where if you reach your limit you can opt into good behavior which means you don't get suspended but if you pick up another infringement in the 12 months your original suspension is doubled.... kind of a gamble.

also in NSW if you have a clean record over 5 years you get a 50% discount on license renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

josip wrote: »
    3 points increased my insurance by €75 each year for the 3 years.
    So although I got an €80 fine, doing 60 in a 50 cost me €305 in total.

Yeah 3 points def hit my insurance also.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

What is peoples experience with the gosafe vans? Do you have to drive past them speeding to be caught? Has anyone slowed down while literally on top of it and not got a fine? I was coming along this morning with a car coming in front of me. Both of us slowed down before passing the van but we werent far back from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

The_Kitty wrote: »
    What is peoples experience with the gosafe vans? Do you have to drive past them speeding to be caught? Has anyone slowed down while literally on top of it and not got a fine? I was coming along this morning with a car coming in front of me. Both of us slowed down before passing the van but we werent far back from it

Apparently the range is quite short on gosafe, much higher on new guards hairdryers.
    Rumour has it 5 or 7 or 9km over the limit before they issue a fine. They post the letter to the registered owner of the vehicle within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The_Kitty wrote: »

You have to be almost beside it to be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

I was driving to get a haircut one afternoon when I was behind this truck. Having been beind it for a while and just after a right hand bend I decided to overtake as it was going 90 in a 100km/hr zone. It was a fairly small freezer truck but bigger than a car. I was doing about 115 or 110 before I moved to the other side of the road when I seen in the corner of my eye a Revnue collecting van. My question is how wide of a camera angle is on the laser camera? It was very tight and the truck obscured most of its view as I only seen the back of the van last second before I completed the over take. I never speed normally and if this was a car I would have definitely been able to complete it at 105.

I was driving to get a haircut one afternoon when I was behind this truck. Having been beind it for a while and just after a right hand bend I decided to overtake as it was going 90 in a 100km/hr zone. It was a fairly small freezer truck but bigger than a car. I was doing about 115 or 110 before I moved to the other side of the road when I seen in the corner of my eye a Revnue collecting van. My question is how wide of a camera angle is on the laser camera? It was very tight and the truck obscured most of its view as I only seen the back of the van last second before I completed the over take. I never speed normally and if this was a car I would have definitely been able to complete it at 105.

The vans use radar not laser and the camera can cover multiple lanes and directions at once. They don't need a long time to measure speed and get photo, but they are not long range as in far away from van.

Its likely your speed was checked. You may not have been speeding as often the cars display often read high. You can get real GPS speed apps for your phone to show actual speed to calibrate your cars display. They also don't seem to issue tickets until 9km over actual limit

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Asylum15

Lads, was coming home to Cork on the M8 (120km/hr zone) earlier sitting at exactly 72-73 MPH (english import) and arrived at a zone where the limit change to 100km/hr. I had a stupid white van behind me who was driving up my ass and wouldn't overtake, he must have been within 3-4 feet of my car at one point, I saw the change to 100km/hr and slowed but not as fast as I'd have liked.

Came around a bend 2 seconds later to see a speed van, guy was outside the back of it putting down or picking up cones with the back door open. The camera had an orange light flashing at the bottom of it.

Was it operating you think? I've 5 pts already so would be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If the operator was outside, he was only setting up.

You won't be getting a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jen_Neric

I was driving on the N4 just after Leixlip heading to Liffey Valley.

Didn’t see the GoSafe van until I was beside it, however I was doing 90km but slowed to 80 as soon as I copped it ( the limit is 80km). I was in the 3rd lane with a car in front , who moved to the lane beside me and was about half a car length in front on me.

I had a car behind me too.

Do I have high chances of the FCN in the post? 🧐

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,866 ✭✭✭✭flazio

50/50 I reckon. 90 on your speedo is likely to be around the 85 mark really which is still over. Depends if other cars obscured the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jen_Neric

I think I’m in the clear now 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frannkie92

Does anyone know the penalty for driving past a speed van without their full headights on at night? Stupidly did this last night after having driven out of a multi-storey car park

I don't think they are looking for that offence. I think it's only if you are caught speeding that any other offences obvious in the photo get added on.

Might be an old wives tale but I was told of somebody getting extra points as the speed camera showed the driver on the phone as well.

It's a pet peeve of mine seeing people drive around at night on just their front daytime running lights but that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

My insurance actually went down even though i got 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Hi,

Is there any device i can put in my car for just warning / alerting me of speed limits on irish roads?

Phone mount on your dash and the app "Waze"

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

ya, but other than the phone.

last thing i want it to be caut with the phone in my hand , which happened to me before, even though i was stopped in traffic.

any separate device I can buy, without having to use / handle my phone?

• Advertisement

Garmin used to sell sat navs with lifetime updates that had 99% of the speed limits in the database and it could be set to display and warm if going over the limit. There may even be a beep option.

I used it in the past but I put my phone in a holder now. Standard Google maps on phone will display show speed limits once navigating to a destination and the colour changes if going over limit.

Something like these should work, but you may need to update on a laptop computer every few years

speed van detectors generally don't work well on Irish vans.

Some sat nav models had a list of the zones too, but they were changed recently so may not be correct. It can take months or years for updates to filter through and cheaper ones may not have room for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cccg

Going through a 50kph zone this morn, limit goes straight up to 100kph after it - not sure what I was going through the town but was at 63 as I passed the sign for the 100 - speed van sitting about 10 meters into the 100kph zone never spotted him till I was in the 100 with the traffic in front of me.. any idea what speed they’d be checking for since it was sitting in the 100 but with the back facing into the 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Wrong thread.. please delete

Post edited by Phoole on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Going by date of post (31 July '22) I reckon cccg knows all too well the answer to that one.

In fairness, you do get those signs damaged from time to time so dash mounting a phone with Waze is a good idea, and if you see a speed van don't forget to greet them loud and clear with the phrase. "Hey Google, Report Police"😋

And of course, drive safely and with respect to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

Navan Road on Friday morning - 60km zone .. was going around 66km .. Van almost behind the bus stop ..copped it in the distance (as I wouldn’t have seen it behind the bus stop) but wondering if he got me in the distance .. put the foot on the brakes & went down to around 56/57km …

Should be fine, 66 was probably only 62 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

approached & passed the van @around 56-58km

hoping im ok

Advertisement