Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bianchi - with added Face of Bike Thief!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

I live pretty close to Leonard's Corner, will keep my eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

I'm also living in the area. If I see him around I shall ask him politely to return the bicycle to it's rightful owner. If he fails to comply he will leave me no choice but to ask him politely again.

(I'll get in contact with Raam)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ROK ON wrote: »
    Ok, enough is enough. This is becoming a paranoid witchhunt of some foreign bloke who is going to college in Griffith College.

(1) There is not one shred of evident that this bloke is a Roma or anywhere else for that matter. He is a scumbag thief - his nationality has **** all to do with theivery. Theives come from everywhere.

(2) Likewise there is not a shred of evidence that this bloke goes to Griffith or any other college for that matter. This is bull****, pure bull****.

Either you folk are taking the piss or you will at very worst precipitate some foreign looking bloke getting an undeserve hiding.

The mods should seriously get this under control - it looks enormously foolish.;
    Agreed, but could you please use the report post button, rather than try and deal with moderating issues in-thread

To everyone - do not provide anything here that attempts to identify the individual involved by name or specific location - this is a matter for the Guards, not a public forum, and could result in false accusations. It could also prejudice any legal process

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi lads,

glad to hear that he's been spotted... why dont we take this up a level... I'm not sure where <snip> refers to, whether it's a state body / college / etc etc.... but why Raam somebody approach this organisation with a printout of the photo and see if he has been attending, and see if he can be identified.... maybe in conjunction with the guards ?

If he's got a paper and was at leonard's corner, he's obviously bought that paper somewhere close by.. Would it be worth showing it to a few of the local shops and asking them if they know who he is?

Also would it be worthwhile posting a copy of this thread in this regional forum of boards?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=175

God, this is like The Wire... Can I be McNulty?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hi lads,

glad to hear that he's been spotted... why dont we take this up a level... I'm not sure where <snip> refers to, whether it's a state body / college / etc etc.... but why Raam somebody approach this organisation with a printout of the photo and see if he has been attending, and see if he can be identified.... maybe in conjunction with the guards ?

If he's got a paper and was at leonard's corner, he's obviously bought that paper somewhere close by.. Would it be worth showing it to a few of the local shops and asking them if they know who he is?

Also would it be worthwhile posting a copy of this thread in this regional forum of boards?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=175

God, this is like The Wire... Can I be McNulty?
    In conjunction with the guards - yes - they can determine to what extent, if any, the OP (or anyone else) could approach anyone, or if this is something they should on,ly do themselves. No-one should be taking the law into their own hands, or acting as private detectives based on information gleaned from here

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Everyone has the right to pursue their own stolen property up to a point which would include polite enquires to anyone who was at the scene of a theft as identified here and who might be able to help the owner.
    It is perfectly reasonalbel to seek the help of the public as has been done reasonably successfully to date here.
    The law IS "in the hands" of the public in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Beasty wrote: »
    In conjunction with the guards - yes -

Well, the reason I was suggesting the guards as "an option", rather than mandatory, was because I wouldnt be 100% that that the guards will WANT to help .. in which case the OP will be left to his own devices..

Raam, if there's anything else I can do or you want that video updated let me know.. I'm not that busy these days, and I'd love to see this lad caught, before he robs my bike... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

hope you catch him,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Thread is getting close to epic especially if you catch him, I suggest hanging up your signature picture in <snip> I used to work there i'm sure they'd let you put it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm bagsying the rights on this thread to re-made as Dublin version of......

Colin Farrell to play "Le Scroat," the stylish Assos wearing bike thief.......

RAAM can pick who he wants to play his missus.....

Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, Denzel Washington and Clint Eastwood will play the mods

Bruce Willis will be Garda Mick, the ERU sniper who takes down Le Scroat when he is cornered in the final shootout before he traces the bike to a lock up off the SCR........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

People have mentioned I look like Morgan Freeman alright.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, Denzel Washington and Clint Eastwood will play the mods

Mmmm .... I wonder ....
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it."

"Nothing wrong with shooting...as long as the right people get shot."

Yep, Beasty.......it's Eastwood to play you alright.......

honkytonk-man-cover-3.jpg

I know - see you in seven days.........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

Terribly sorry to hear about this incident, bloody scum. :mad:

I live very close to Harcourt St. so I'll make it my business to keep an eye out for the bike.

Let's hope to god he still has the nerve to cycle it around without breaking it for parts, in that case you won't be at any loss.

Have you tried taking a spin around the Cuffe St. flats just to look for it locked up? It's probably not too unlikely that this young buck is from around there. Stranger things have happened. I'll take a cruise around town tomorrow and have a look out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Criminal Law Act, 1997, Section 4 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0014/sec0004.html#sec4

Arrest without warrant.
    4.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be in the act of committing an arrestable offence.

(2) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), where an arrestable offence has been committed, any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána, with reasonable cause, suspects that an arrestable offence has been committed, he or she may arrest without warrant anyone whom the member, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(4) An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection (1) or (2) where he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects that the person to be arrested by him or her would otherwise attempt to avoid, or is avoiding, arrest by a member of the Garda Síochána.

(5) A person who is arrested pursuant to this section by a person other than a member of the Garda Síochána shall be transferred into the custody of the Garda Síochána as soon as practicable.

(6) This section shall not affect the operation of any enactment restricting the institution of proceedings for an offence or prejudice any power of arrest conferred by law apart from this section.
    btn_printact.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I have had many thing stolen over the years, you get over it but the bike is a killer its like your 3rd leg.

I have to agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Sorry to hear about this :( She was a beauty of a bike!

Put it on RTE news. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I enforced those rights twice. Once I caught a guy after taking the bag of an old lady in Rathfarnham and the other time I caught a courier with a stolen bike that had been resprayed, but we still recognised it. It feels GOOD!
    trad wrote: »
    Criminal Law Act, 1997, Section 4 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0014/sec0004.html#sec4

Arrest without warrant.
    4.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be in the act of committing an arrestable offence.

(2) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), where an arrestable offence has been committed, any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána, with reasonable cause, suspects that an arrestable offence has been committed, he or she may arrest without warrant anyone whom the member, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(4) An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection (1) or (2) where he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects that the person to be arrested by him or her would otherwise attempt to avoid, or is avoiding, arrest by a member of the Garda Síochána.

(5) A person who is arrested pursuant to this section by a person other than a member of the Garda Síochána shall be transferred into the custody of the Garda Síochána as soon as practicable.

(6) This section shall not affect the operation of any enactment restricting the institution of proceedings for an offence or prejudice any power of arrest conferred by law apart from this section.
    btn_printact.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Out of interest, with a citizens arrest are you allowed to physically detain them and if so how?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Out of interest, with a citizens arrest are you allowed to physically detain them and if so how?

I'll get my old copy of "Police Academy" going and get back to you in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Yes. You can hold them to stop them running away.

As far as I know you can't bring them to the Garda station, you have to send for the Gardaí to come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dayshah wrote: »
    Yes. You can hold them to stop them running away.
    Only if the offence they are alleged to have committed is punishable by five in years in prison (or more). Otherwise all you can do is say, "Stop, you ruffian, in the name of the law".
    As far as I know you can't bring them to the Garda station, you have to send for the Gardaí to come to you.
    Correct.

If you do spot someone who's broken a law, by far the best thing to do is follow him and contact the Gardai. If you try to arrest him or otherwise alert him to the fact that he's going to be arrested, he's going to run. And a guy on the run from the law will always have more stamina and determination than you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

hi just saw the thread - sorry to hear about the bike its a sickener.
    Just a thought on it being spotted at Leonards Corner its just up the road from Griffith College there are lots of students studying and living in there so it might be worth a look

In case anyone fancies having a go and apprehending the villainous scoundrel, you may be well advised to consider the civil implications of your actions - they would not be without consequence.

If you get the wrong person, you may liable for assault or even find yourself accused of slandering the fine fellow's name.

The best course of action, I think, would be to attract the attention of a local constabule, should your paths cross.

Failing that, make sure any sighting is reported here, in the virtual incident room:)

Maybe at this stage we should get someone to produce a psychological profile of the offender with a view to getting it put up here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

"I'm afraid I can't see eye to eye with you on this matter"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

OK, so Ive finally ID'd this guy. Thought he looked very familiar. Obviously a life of fame and fortune isn't enough and he has to get his kicks through criminal activity. Last seen wearing a frock outside RTE.

135193.jpg
    _1616999_briandowling.jpg

No need to thank me. Just doing my job as a responsible citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 surf safari

Zynks well done you are definitley an active citizen, would like to give a go if I hada chance. Was held up in a bank robbery but they had a gun so could not do anything! they are dead now anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

seamus wrote: »
    Only if the offence they are alleged to have committed is punishable by five in years in prison (or more). Otherwise all you can do is say, "Stop, you ruffian, in the name of the law".

Really? Is there an iPhone app so I can check if the offense just committed is subject to 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Any updates on this? Delighted to see you've got a picture? Has anybody blown this up in photoshop and sharpened it up a bit yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

beartooth wrote: »
    hi just saw the thread - sorry to hear about the bike its a sickener.
    Just a thought on it being spotted at Leonards Corner its just up the road from Griffith College there are lots of students studying and living in there so it might be worth a look

Tell me why in particular would that be worth a look?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement