Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bianchi - with added Face of Bike Thief!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This morning I have learned that this chap may be doing rounds of office car parks in the city, pulling the same stunt. Please advise your respective security departments/cyclist colleagues about this chap.

My source informs me that the very same guy (source has a picture which is not available to me) took bicycles from their place of work.

The guy may be trying to pass himself off as someone who works in the building, hence the high vis vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I do rather like his hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    I do rather like his hat.

It is quite distinctive and probably worth looking out for - easier to spot someone wearing that (and the jacket) than trying to compare his face to the CCTV image. Unless they're his bike thieving clothes and he wears something else in the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

scumbag...i'll watch out for him around D2

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    It is quite distinctive and probably worth looking out for - easier to spot someone wearing that (and the jacket) than trying to compare his face to the CCTV image. Unless they're his bike thieving clothes and he wears something else in the cold weather.
    Could it be the Wiggle guy at the bottom? - perhaps they are looking to start a 2nd hand business:D:

assos-stingerhat-med.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

It's great you got a picture of him. It's unfortunate that the resolution and quality is a bit low. When you zoom in on the face, there is just enough there to recognize the man though.

I cropped the man out of your original pic and tried unsuccessfully to sharpen it. Photoshop might have a better upscaler with a better interpolation method than I have with gimp. So hopefully someone can work their CSI magic.

It's not often enough that buggers like him get caught but I'd say theres a really good chance here. Hope he gets bloody knicked!!

theguy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

wayne0308 wrote: »
    It's great you got a picture of him. It's unfortunate that the resolution and quality is a bit low. When you zoom in on the face, there is just enough there to recognize the man though.

I cropped the man out of your original pic and tried unsuccessfully to sharpen it. Photoshop might have a better upscaler with a better interpolation method than I have with gimp. So hopefully someone can work their CSI magic.

It's not often enough that buggers like him get caught but I'd say theres a really good chance here. Hope he gets bloody knicked!!

[/IMG]

zoom, enhance, zoom, enhance...

we have our thief

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I just noticed, el tonto has "ride it like you stole it" as his sig :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

DaDumTish wrote: »
    <snip>

Not to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's enough messing. No more speculation on the thief's nationality or sexual proclivities. It's irrelevant and unhelpful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

theguy.jpg

Uhm, that's AJ Soprano. Good luck getting it back! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had a go with Photoshop. Not much extra detail at all, but that jacket is distinctive and so is his face. Hopefully someone may recognise him.
    135192.jpg135193.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

thiefe.jpg

Here's my effort... I think he has some design or logo on the right side of his cap, might be just a camera artefact though.

thiefe.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

May I suggest asking somebody in the photo forum to perhaps assist with a photoshop job to clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I do a bit of photo work, this is the best I can do..

scumbag_1.jpg

Have you thought about making a youtube video as well, it might go viral if you could send it on to enough people....

Thanks for the attempts to clean up the photo.
    I was chatting with one of the photography forum mods last night and they are happy for me to request help from that forum in order to improve the picture.

However, he thinks the picture simply does not have enough resolution or data to make any better.

Possibly we have it as clear as we are ever going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Photo was doing the rounds on facebook yesterday..!

Get on to these guys....see if they can help with the photo...

Fingers crossed he's caught, he looks a right bell end going by the jacket and scarf :pac:

• Advertisement

Our preference is to get the bike back. That's our main aim, so please please keep your eyes peeled for a small black Bianchi road bike with the following features...

Silver rear mudguard
    Pink and black tyres
    Ripped saddle which says Selle San Marco
    Dent in the down tube
    Shimano 105 shifters

Failing that, I hope that this thread can at least promote a bit more awareness of how thieves are operating and maybe prevent a few bikes from being stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'll be keeping an eye out, but from having 4 bikes robbed in the last few years I know how unlikely it is to ever be seen again frown.gif The Gards even told me that some stolen bikes are being shipped off to other countries.

Hope you find it, and this moron is caught. If only for clearly thinking 'If i wear a hi-viz jacket, everyone will think I'm a real cyclist.'

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Raam wrote: »
    Our preference is to get the bike back. That's our main aim, so please please keep your eyes peeled for a small black Bianchi road bike with the following features...

Silver rear mudguard
    Pink and black tyres
    Ripped saddle which says Selle San Marco
    Dent in the down tube
    Shimano 105 shifters

Failing that, I hope that this thread can at least promote a bit more awareness of how thieves are operating and maybe prevent a few bikes from being stolen.

The pink tyres for me are really a unique feature here, I'd imagine the thief or if someone bought the bike from him would probably have changed them straight away as they are very recognisable. I'll be keeping a sharp eye out for any bianchi either way.

This may have been asked before but if a sighting is made, what's the best plan of action. If the witness is on their bike they can follow the thief hopefully to his home. Call the gardai at this point and wait for backup? Might be best to contact the garda station you reported it to initially maybe?

I can't offer any guidance on what anyone should do when they see the bike or a person on the bike, that is up to them. I wouldn't make any request that anyone does anything other than advise me afterwards when and where the bike was seen so that I can try find it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This may have been asked before but if a sighting is made, what's the best plan of action.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Ok so we looked at the reflection in the thief's eye and we came up with the following.

thiefv.jpg

Raam wrote: »
    However, he thinks the picture simply does not have enough resolution or data to make any better.

I think somebody will identify him from this, if they see it... BUT the only thing is, he looks foreign to me so this might reduce the "audience" capable of identifying...

Have you thought about sending it in to CrimeCall? I think they were only on last week, but there'll be another one in about a month..

I'll do up a youtube video if you want.. would love to see this lad caught.. <snip>

I think somebody will identify him from this, if they see it... BUT the only thing is, he looks foreign to me so this might reduce the "audience" capable of identifying...

Have you thought about sending it in to CrimeCall? I think they were only on last week, but there'll be another one in about a month..

I'll do up a youtube video if you want.. would love to see this lad caught.. well I'd prefer to see him getting a hiding...

Yes, I sent it to crimecall.

Feel free to make up a youtube vid :)

Just one more thing I thought there was a facebook page?? I cant find it on this thread.. Maybe edit the original post and ad it to this?

• Advertisement

Just one more thing I thought there was a facebook page?? I cant find it on this thread.. Maybe edit the original post and ad it to this?

There is no facebook page, only some pictures which I have shared out from my own. They are the same as those attached on the first post. If I get time later, I might create a page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement