Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all doomed! NASA "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I'm actually pretty excited about this, NASA, are usually the kings of understatement so I'm expecting something epic to be announced.

As regards Betelgeuse going pop it could be bad news but I would expect ionisation of the atmosphere and the onset of an new ice age to be more of a problem then any possible change in Earths orbit. It would be one hell of a show though and if its going soon we will have a ring side seat for a once in a lifetime event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I wiki'd the panelists that will be present at the press conference, and they all seem to have some background in "black holes". Hmm.

Soundgarden to be top of the download charts next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

They're only doing this so they'll have something to fill up the next series of 'Reeling In The Years' in 2020!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Any word on what the Vatican statement is all about?
    Nope, we won't know until they make it Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its a giant Mayan calendar printed on the side of a pyramid with an eye on the top I tells ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

zuroph wrote: »
    its a giant Mayan calendar printed on the side of a pyramid with an eye on the top I tells ya.

Jokes arent funny

hang on, the vatican are actually calling a press conference too? I thought that was a pisstake on here...

Seems to be this:

http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/10_releases/press_111510.html

Not as gargantuan as everyone had hoped, but big nonetheless.
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be something else.

hang on, the vatican are actually calling a press conference too? I thought that was a pisstake on here...
    Apparently 3 press conferences on Tuesday. So far only media have been informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

All glory to the hypnotoad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I can't find any other information regarding the Vatican holding press conferences tomorrow other than on here.

If it is true, then we might be due a massive announcement today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I can't find any other information regarding the Vatican holding press conferences tomorrow other than on here.

Might not be even related, they may have finally come to the conclusion that protecting kiddie rapists is in fact wrong and Jesus would not approve.

OisinT wrote: »
    Seems to be this:

http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/10_releases/press_111510.html

Not as gargantuan as everyone had hoped, but big nonetheless.
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be something else.
    Any info on this, the link is working but nothing is coming up

i somehow doubt that the scientists at NASA got very sensitive info, then immediately thought "lets not tell anyone yet, but inform the catholic church, they'll need to know this". Unless of course, they've found gods house out there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

is it the results of those tests on the effects of weightlessness on tiny screws?

I may just fall off the edge of my seat here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

What is with people posting We're doomed all of a suddend? All I can imagine is C3P0 hacking into boards

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

i somehow doubt that the scientists at NASA got very sensitive info, then immediately thought "lets not tell anyone yet, but inform the catholic church, they'll need to know this". Unless of course, they've found gods house out there somewhere.

I have seen enough sci-fi movies to know that if alien life was discovered, NASA would tell the Vatican so they can prepare a "hey, we never said we don't believe in aliens, we welcome aliens because God clearly made them too" speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

I have seen enough sci-fi movies to know that if alien life was discovered, NASA would tell the Vatican so they can prepare a "hey, we never said we don't believe in aliens, we welcome aliens because God clearly made them too" speech.

why would nasa even care what the vatican thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If the impending doom means there wont be another episode of Fade Street aired, it will be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Wossack wrote: »
    is it the results of those tests on the effects of weightlessness on tiny screws?

I may just fall off the edge of my seat here

I thought they had to abort that mission. Thank Rod everyone survived!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

The Vatican story is what is called in the industry made up BullSh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm actually pretty excited about this, NASA, are usually the kings of understatement so I'm expecting something epic to be announced.

As regards Betelgeuse going pop it could be bad news but I would expect ionisation of the atmosphere and the onset of an new ice age to be more of a problem then any possible change in Earths orbit. It would be one hell of a show though and if its going soon we will have a ring side seat for a once in a lifetime event.

Sorry but I'm pretty confident you are wrong on the first count and 100% confident you are wrong on the second.

I am an amatuer astronomer and am interested in this kind of thing but even I am invariably left saying...Meh! :rolleyes: when we find out what the latest exceptional discovery announcement by Nasa was about. For instance the last well publicised in advance announcement was about Mars. Everyone got excited that maybe this time they finally had proof of life or fossilised life on Mars. Sure why else would there be all this hype over the imminent announcement?? All it was was an announcement like this, "Lads, ya know that theory about the levels of methane gas on Mars that we were 95% sure was right for the last 30 years, Well...guess what!! We can now confirm that we are 100% sure that the obscure 30 year old theory is right!!!!!" Wow, I can hardly contain my excitement NASA!! :rolleyes:

As for Betelguese going POP. Its far enough away that it presents no danger to us whatsoever. Certainly its a ring side seat to the event and you would not want to be any closer to a Supernova but it will have zero effect on our planet. It would be a great show and visible in daylight except for the fact that I guarantee it happens in the Summer months when Orion is near the sun thus rendering the supernova invisible during the day as well as the night

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/17/pope-astronomer-baptise-aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Yeah I read a story online a couple of days ago about a "structure" discovered in space and it turned out to be this double blobbed purple plasma haze crap too.

It reminds me of when they flew that missile into the moon a few months back and had it streaming live on the web and it was UTTER rubbish. No explosion or nothing.

Pathetic.

No space news of significance in our life times - you sadly heard it here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If the impending doom means there wont be another episode of Fade Street aired, it will be worth it!

Y'know loike, that's a bit harsh on, y'know, the show in general :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Why does the pope have an astronomer?? And if this guy is "one of" the popes astronomers, why does he need multiple astronomers??

The Vatican story is what is called in the industry made up BullSh*t.
    The media has been invited to a press conference in the Vatican on Tuesday. Whether or not it is related to this is speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Why does the pope have an astronomer?? And if this guy is "one of" the popes astronomers, why does he need multiple astronomers??

The Vatican isn't averse to science, as hard to believe as that is! They have a dedicated observatory too, and a list of scientists who corroborate with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

The chandra.harvard.edu website went down after OisinT linked to it. It's back up now, but the press release is missing :pac:

*puts on tinfoil hat*

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm pretty confident you are wrong on the first count and 100% confident you are wrong on the second.

I am an amatuer astronomer and am interested in this kind of thing but even I am invariably left saying...Meh! :rolleyes: when we find out what the latest exceptional discovery announcement by Nasa was about. For instance the last well publicised in advance announcement was about Mars. Everyone got excited that maybe this time they finally had proof of life or fossilised life on Mars. Sure why else would there be all this hype over the imminent announcement?? All it was was an announcement like this, "Lads, ya know that theory about the levels of methane gas on Mars that we were 95% sure was right for the last 30 years, Well...guess what!! We can now confirm that we are 100% sure that the obscure 30 year old theory is right!!!!!" Wow, I can hardly contain my excitement NASA!! :rolleyes:

As for Betelguese going POP. Its far enough away that it presents no danger to us whatsoever. Certainly its a ring side seat to the event and you would not want to be any closer to a Supernova but it will have zero effect on our planet. It would be a great show and visible in daylight except for the fact that I guarantee it happens in the Summer months when Orion is near the sun thus rendering the supernova invisible during the day as well as the night
    Betelgeuse going supernova could result in changing our orbit.
    Such a gravity wave would definitely have an effect in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and in the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud outside of the Pluto orbit. It might also be powerful enough to create a 'nudge' to the planetary orbits, especially the smaller planets and that could be very disruptive. If strong enough it could even create an oscillation or warping in the orbits of all nine planets and disrupt the equilibrium. We do not need to be any closer or any further away from the Sun.

Highly unlikely though.

Advertisement