Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all doomed! NASA "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

ART6 wrote: »
    We are already in a black hole:p
    I'm not. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I've always believed in the ALIENS but after this do we really need any more proof?
    So is this black hole going to eat us when it gets older or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

OisinT wrote: »
    It's actually very interesting and is a massive find tbh.

My arse it is and I'm a bloody amatuer astronomer interested enough in the subject to own a 16" diametre 7ft tall telescope! :D

I love NASA's definition of 'Nearby' blackhole. Its in another galaxy FFS. The only interesting thing is its only 30 years old. Well its actually 56 million years old now but we only saw the supernova that created it 30 years ago in 1979 and thus 30 years later in 2010 we are watching a 30 year old blackhole forming.

Kudos to whomever said the definition of nearby to NASA could mean something in the Local Group of Galaxies earlier in the thread.

As soon as I read the Supernova progenator of this Blackhole was observed in 1979 I knew this was going to be at least a couple of million lightyears away. Couldn't tell ya where but I knew there hasn't been a Supernova in our own Galaxy never mind in our stellar neighbourhood since 1609 or something like that. 1979 meant I new straight away this was in another galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Liveline tomorrow......

"Exceptional they said Joe! Exceptional! Sure its not even in our own galaxy Joe! Its a BLEEEEEDIN disgace"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've always believed in the ALIENS but after this do we really need any more proof?
    So is this black hole going to eat us when it gets older or what?

That press conference was infinitely more interesting than this one.. and none of what was said in it was even verified!

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    My arse it is and I'm a bloody amatuer astronomer interested enough in the subject to own a 16" diametre 7ft tall telescope! :D

I love NASA's definition of 'Nearby' blackhole. Its in another galaxy FFS. The only interesting thing is its only 30 years old. Well its actually 56 million years old now but we only saw the supernova that created it 30 years ago in 1979 and thus 30 years later in 2010 we are watching a 30 year old blackhole forming.

Kudos to whomever said the definition of nearby to NASA could mean something in the Local Group of Galaxies earlier in the thread.
    It was me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What a letdown:(

This broad loves young black holes. :D

She wants to be able to see more young black holes! duuuurrrty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

This is all very interesting but did it really need to be described as a exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood, seems a bit over dramatic considering what it is? While many of us would find this stuff fascinating the majority (myself included) expected something a little bit more impressive than a blackhole in another fecking galaxy.

Interesting that it is a stellar mass black hole (around 5x our sun size).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

What a letdown:(
    True, not a looker in the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

:cool:

More information on SN 1979C Black Hole (or possibly Pulsar Wind Nebula):

http://www.physlink.com/News/072105EnduringSupernova1979C.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Calibos wrote: »
    The only interesting thing is its only 30 years old. Well its actually 56 million years old..............

Nothing like the precision of science, is there?

lol nobody has any questions. Guess even the media were expecting a bigger announcement.

longshanks wrote: »
    Nothing like the precision of science, is there?
    Well what they mean by that is that to us, 30 years ago it was a star and now it is a black hole. We are seeing what it looked like when it was 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

OisinT wrote: »
    Well what they mean by that is that to us, 30 years ago it was a star and now it is a black hole. We are seeing what it looked like when it was 30 years old.

Well I suppose you can prove anything with facts, now stop explaining away all the jokes science boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The only possibly good outcome of all this is if the Vatican announce Benny is an alien in their press conference tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

WORST EXCEPTIONAL OBJECT IN OUR COSMIC NEIGHBORHOOD ANNOUNCEMENT EVER:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its getting closer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

The youngest!?

What a time to be alive, just awesome!

/edit attached an artists impression of what it may look like to the normal eye

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

But who created the toddler black hole?
    I just knew Michael Jackson had something to do with this....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

That's it... :(

Right I need an alibi... well I need several.... oh and tips on how to remove fingerprints from fine Italian hand stitched leather... :mad:

NASA = Not A Spectacular Announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

So let me get this straight we're not doomed

I was going to buy a landrover defender and spend my remaining hours/days / what ever fishing

tbh I'm kinda dissapointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Are we in the clear or is there still a chance that this black hole will come after us when he gets older or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just don't look him in the eye and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I for one welcome our new black hole overlord.

Advertisement