Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all doomed! NASA "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i really really want this to be something exceptionally cool like the blown up remnants of a thousand year old alien space ship, or a black hole near enough to fly a dog into with a camera, or...something...anything except bond markets, dodgy politicans or sovereign debt.

anyone hear the interest rates on irish ten year bonds has...

please let it be a f'ucking asteroid on a collision course.
    Biffo... Brian Cowen?? anything not to lose the next general election :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

This might have a huge effect on the property market. Will house prices hit the floor if it is a huge stone on it way towards ROI. I imagine it won't be for a few years so I could see a lot of people slowing selling up and moving abroad.
    Also has this anything to do with 2012? I think everyone now realizes that some bad sh1t is about to go down.

The world is without a doubt 100% going to be swallowed by a black hole and you're asking about house prices??!!

The people were right,us Irish folk do have an unhealthy obsession with property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

the sun, is going to give birth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I missed the News Conference.

Have they found God??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Daddio wrote: »
    Lollers at "fly a dog into it with a camera". What's the point of sending a dog in?!
    Well you wouldn't fly a human in without knowing what might happen, I like animals as much as the next person but at the end of the day a dog is still just a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Eww just got up in time for the news conference, must be something good if it got me out of bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Horse_box wrote: »
    The world is without a doubt 100% going to be swallowed by a black hole and you're asking about house prices??!!

The people were right,us Irish folk do have an unhealthy obsession with property

Doesn't bother me: this minute I have a couple of Polish chaps outside, black hole proofing the fuck out of the gaff by painting in Hammerite paint.

FUCK YOU Black Hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The Russian space walk is on right now and I think they've over us. Hard to tell with the cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well you wouldn't fly a human in without knowing what might happen, I like animals as much as the next person but at the end of the day a dog is still just a dog.
    Why not just send a probe in? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Lollers at "fly a dog into it with a camera". What's the point of sending a dog in?!

It's simples really....

The evil aliens in charge of the black hole think that doggies are the dominant form of life on the planet, and we lull them into a false sense of security.

They come down with cattle prods to tame the mutts and we fight back with AK-47's..

Then use their black hole space ship to colonize the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

right so, we'll send you first and you can let us know what happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

OisinT wrote: »
    The Russian space walk is on right now and I think they've over us. Hard to tell with the cloud cover.
    Everyone fire wildly into the sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

3 bedroom detached property with great view of event horizon! €200,000

Unfortunately they were talking about the terrible movie shown in the drive by movie theatre next door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Link for anyone wanting to know if we're all doomed, or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

This might have a huge effect on the property market. Will house prices hit the floor if it is a huge stone on it way towards ROI. I imagine it won't be for a few years so I could see a lot of people slowing selling up and moving abroad.
    Also has this anything to do with 2012? I think everyone now realizes that some bad sh1t is about to go down.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JackCharlton

40 guinness over the weekend = black hole:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Well I don't own any property at all yet, just want a place to live. I mean black holes or no black holes, we still have to get on with our life, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

right so, we'll send you first and you can let us know what happens ;)
    Nah, send in a robot. :cool:

:eek:Jaysus there talking to the aliens already right now on nasa tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

That robot is hot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

its going to be on live on Nasa tv, I've a link open ready to go

i'd send a probe into her alright...with her big chunky shoulders on her...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Link for anyone wanting to know if we're all doomed, or not ;)

Direct link here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html?param=media

A white hole: The time-reverse of the collapse of an object into a black hole. The equations of general relativity which describe such a collapse are time-symmetric, so there is no theoretical reason why they should not run in reverse. A white hole would therefore be a place where matter spontaneously appeared into our Universe. However, no such object has been observed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole

Speculation in the past hour or so that it may be a white hole observed over a year ago. They (NASA) have had a chance to do further research and have confirmed. Only an hour until we know for sure I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Cant open any of the links here in work (damn you filter!!). Could someone explain what the story is about??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

No way give me Number Six that's a hot Robot

OisinT wrote: »
    Only an hour until we know for sure I guess :)

:mad:I thought it was 4.30 it was on, what smartarse said it was on at 4.30 and got me out of bed:mad:

that'd be gas though wouldnt it...like a professor just goes "howiya everyone. i'd like to intoduce Nazzor...diplomatic envoy from the planet Exborg"....walks in massive grey headed beady eyed classic alien type...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

So it's something that creates matter out of nothing?
    Or is this something that already existed but 'moved' somewhere to a black hole and is now being reversed?

Forgive me for I know very little on these things but it all sounds pretty amazing, it's really going to get the god botherers going

My mistake it was russians they were talking too:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Meh, I'm going to make dinner.

Advertisement