Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all doomed! NASA "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sunderland 3, Chelsea 0

Obviously the disruption has already begun. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I think that astronomy is possiby the one endeavour of humans that might actually help the human race. Everything else humanity has done has been about either overexploiting our resources or fixing problems we ourselves have created. However, we're still a long, long way from astronomy being of practical help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I've had sky news on all day and nothing. They're shyting on about the Irish bailout, that Asian hippy who has been freed and PIRATES!
    Not a damn thing about the massive hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I will give the aliens all the help they need in conquering this planet, and then hopefully they will give me a plush job in their administration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Tick...tick...tick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im 12 and what is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think that astronomy is possiby the one endeavour of humans that might actually help the human race. Everything else humanity has done has been about either overexploiting our resources or fixing problems we ourselves have created. However, we're still a long, long way from astronomy being of practical help

Astronomy will, in a practice sense, only lead to the exploitation of even more resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

I will give the aliens all the help they need in conquering this planet, and then hopefully they will give me a plush job in their administration.

I am contracting out to do their website, and general branding. Get in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

So what time is this kicking off at? 17:30 GMT?

Astronomy will, in a practice sense, only lead to the exploitation of even more resources.

YES!! The whole exploitation of infinite resources thing that practical astronomy will lead to, is keeping me awake at night!!

(not really. I wish we could exploit stuff hundred of light years away, but it seems impossible)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

You may very well be right in a practical sense, but it might give us a chance in the unlikely event that an enormous object would head straight for earth. It might give us a chance to get out of the solar system before the sun burns up.... even though I know that practically speaking humans will be long gone by then anyway. And it might give us a chance to survive elsewhere if we damage our own planet beyond repair (although it's hard to imagine a situation where terraforming a planet like Venus would be easier than "terraforming" earth back to the planet it once was).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Chelsea 0 Sunderland 3
    Obviously the disruption has already begun. :eek:

fixed that for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

I've had sky news on all day and nothing. They're shyting on about the Irish bailout, that Asian hippy who has been freed and PIRATES!
    Not a damn thing about the massive hole!

ya was wondering myself, if it was big news then why havent the news stations picked up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

jeez after all this chat how crap is it gonna be when they announce that the sun doesn't shine out of Cowans arse

Its a conspiracy!!

Daddio wrote: »
    So what time is this kicking off at? 17:30 GMT?
    I think it's at 19:30. Are you worried?
    If it does turn out to be a stone or something on course for Ireland I'm getting the fook out of here asap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

No chance, when the sh!t hits the fan you'll jump in the nearest host body and vamoose. You're all the same.

If it does turn out to be a stone or something on course for Ireland I'm getting the fook out of here asap!!!

12:30 EST = 5:30 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 AlphaBeagle

mikom wrote: »
    Mary Harneys hole.
    PMSL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

"NASA Finds Youngest Nearby Black Hole"
    For Release: November 15, 2010

Evidence for the youngest known black hole in our cosmic neighborhood has been found using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and other telescopes. The age and proximity of this object could provide astronomers with a unique opportunity to watch a black hole develop during its infancy.

Basic announcement. Could be unrelated though.

• Advertisement

I expect it will be an anticlimax. On the other hand if they explain that there's a black hole staggering drunkenly toward planet earth I'd be a bit disappointed too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Also, unless im reading it wrong, they've only given the live conference an hour long slot, the Russian space walk show before has been on for hours.. so what gives ? either they dont have more then an hours information on it themselves or it isnt really as big news as they are making out
    i did think about it before i went to sleep last night though, im hoping its something boring myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Well look at it this way - it's either just a blob of fog on the hubble lens or the Vs are on their way.

/tears off face to reveal reptilian features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I think it's your own black hole your looking at - you've had your heads up it the past eight years.

Well look at it this way - it's either just a blob of fog on the hubble lens or the Vs are on their way.

/tears off face to reveal reptilian features
    :facepalm:

Chandra, not Hubble. :D

This might have a huge effect on the property market. Will house prices hit the floor if it is a huge stone on it way towards ROI. I imagine it won't be for a few years so I could see a lot of people slowing selling up and moving abroad.
    Also has this anything to do with 2012? I think everyone now realizes that some bad sh1t is about to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i really really want this to be something exceptionally cool like the blown up remnants of a thousand year old alien space ship, or a black hole near enough to fly a dog into with a camera, or...something...anything except bond markets, dodgy politicans or sovereign debt.

anyone hear the interest rates on irish ten year bonds has...

please let it be a f'ucking asteroid on a collision course.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

OisinT wrote: »
    :facepalm:

Chandra, not Hubble. :D

Your earth designations are irrelevant!

i really really want this to be something exceptionally cool like the blown up remnants of a thousand year old alien space ship, or a black hole near enough to fly a dog into with a camera
    Lollers at "fly a dog into it with a camera". What's the point of sending a dog in?!

• Advertisement

This might have a huge effect on the property market. Will house prices hit the floor if it is a huge stone on it way towards ROI. I imagine it won't be for a few years so I could see a lot of people slowing selling up and moving abroad.
    Also has this anything to do with 2012? I think everyone now realizes that some bad sh1t is about to go down.
    No stones, Chandra is an X-Ray telescope.

Advertisement