Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all doomed! NASA "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Should we not just have a bit of an aul pray?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Should we not just have a bit of an aul pray?

*everyone on the board gives you an odd look and a deafening silence fills the air*

Riiight... any more suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

something tells me we'll be alright :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    something tells me we'll be alright :cool:
    Thanks. I'm not that worried anymore. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

gbee wrote: »
    Allah be praised, we gratefully sacrifice ourselves to the impending doom and may all our enemies go with us.

A muslim from Cork....we truly are fucked

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Am I the only one hoping for an intergalactic war?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm scared. :( Didn't help I watched Skyline today...

Was thinking about that, I wonder if the guys who fly these in the movie got paid, perhaps they're coming back to collect the collateral! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Damn and i never got round to seeing 'the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy'

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

sheesh wrote: »
    Damn and i never got round to seeing 'the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy'
    It's OK, all you need to know is DON'T PANIC :D:D:p

I can't sleep now thinking about this. I can't wait to find out what it is. I hope it's not the end of the world kinda thing, I want to travel ect.
    If its anything to do with aliens I want it on the record that I know they exist and have always believed in them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

I think this might be the " exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101111/nasa-space-101114/

It doesn't seem that exceptional it me, but I'm not an astronomer :)

Sometimes I wish these scientists would feck off and leave us alone. That hard collider thing was bad enough and now this!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

But is this anything to do with the missile launched off the US coast the other day? anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's VERY symmetrical - I find that odd.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Tuesday because it'll hopefully mean that there's more inportant things than greed and money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I can't sleep now thinking about this. I can't wait to find out what it is. I hope it's not the end of the world kinda thing, I want to travel ect.
    If its anything to do with aliens I want it on the record that I know they exist and have always believed in them!

That's Jesus, the aliens don't care if you believed in them or not by the time you meet them, just so long as you accept them as your new overloards.

In the old testament, god didn't really have to ask people to believe in him as it was just taken as a given. However around the time of the new testament, the young people especially were getting a bit uppity and had some annoying new age liberal ideas ****, so they had to offer incentives as to why you should believe, just as a gentle push in the right direction - "believe what I say, or burn in everlasting hell for all eternity." :rolleyes:

But hey, whatever this thing is, I'm sure we can rest soundly, comforted in the knowledge that the government will take care of it and know exactly what to do.

Ah the government, such a trustworthy and necessary entity, since we pay them so much money they'll know exactly what's best for us all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That is very cool. Not significant to me though. I'll have to read up on gamma rays and what if anything they might mean in any given context. You know, like gamma rays + Bruce Banner = The Incredible Hulk. And Hulk then Smash.
    Anyone like to educate me a little?
    Maybe it's a kind of intergalactic beacon for alien life or a kind of tag used by inter-dimensional lifeforms. The cosmic aura of a gigantic and completely non understandable parasitic lifeform emenating from the centre of the galaxy. Or maybe I'm up too late and it's something mundane and harmless but looks kind of cool when it's dumbed down to two funky purple balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Kelda09 wrote: »
    It's OK, all you need to know is DON'T PANIC :D:D:p

and always carry a towel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It's just a light house for space ships. The shipping forecast earlier on was warning of strong winds off mizen head, fastnet rock, the milky way galaxy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

OisinT wrote: »
    That or that structure they found on the moon.

TMA-1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

Sometimes I wish these scientists would feck off and leave us alone. That hard collider thing was bad enough and now this!!

http://laelaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/try_science_shirt_300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Tuesday because it'll hopefully mean that there's more inportant things than greed and money.

Ye, the bloke they sent out to take the photo is a fan of symetry! He'll be back on Thursday afternoon if you want to talk to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

It's an illustration, not a photograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Thats what she said....

*Get my coat you say, hell I'm not even wearing any pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

*Get my coat you say, hell I'm not even wearing any pants

We've seen.

And we are embarrassed for you.
    ken_doll.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

dr gonzo wrote: »
    It might be because astronomy is not a strong area for me but this is genuinely worrying me.

Whats with the waiting around NASA you fcuks?
    This will genuinely be a big announcement. This is not typical NASA style to invite press and hold a big conference announced ahead of time.

That being said, there is nothing to worry about in all likeliness. The announcement will probably be massive as far as science and X-Ray astronomy goes - but will likely not be about ET or doomsday.

My guess is on either Betelgeuse starting to go supernova (which could be a big deal for us - it could theoretically push us closer to the sun or further away, slightly. We don't want that to happen... we're in what astronomers call the "Goldilocks Zone") or, a wandering supermassive black hole in our Galaxy (which again could be pretty shítty news if it was heading our way).

It could also be about these Gamma radiation bubbles they have observed at the centre of our Galaxy. I'm not sure it'll be this because it was discovered by Fermi rather than Chandra and it's already been announced (in a very low key typical NASA way). Now I suppose, they could have been interested by what Fermi saw and pointed Chandra at it and found a traversable wormhole - that would be totally epic news, but it's probably more likely that we've discovered ET life than a traversable wormhole in all honesty.

If it was my dream prediction of what is going to happen they will announce that they pointed Chandra at Gliese 581g in response to that pulse of light they saw coming from there in 2008, and they have confirmed that it is a signal from intelligent ET life (the same way we are flashing lasers into space currently).
    The reason I say Gliese 581g is that we did spot unusual pulses of light coming from a planet in that system in 2008.
    This signal was detected 2 years ago and Dr Steven Vogt who led the study at the University of California, Santa Cruz, today said that he was ’100 per cent sure ‘ that there was life on the planet. The planet lies in the star’s ‘Goldilocks zone’ – the region in space where conditions are neither too hot or too cold for liquid water to form oceans, lakes and rivers. The planet also appears to have an atmosphere, a gravity like our own and could well be capable of life. Researchers say the findings suggest the universe is teeming with world like our own. ‘If these are rare, we shouldn’t have found one so quickly and so nearby. ‘The number of systems with potentially habitable planets is probably on the order of 10 or 20 per cent, and when you multiply that by the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way, that’s a large number. There could be tens of billions of these systems in our galaxy.

It could well be related to that. Which is an exceptional discovery.

But that was discovered by Fermi, a Gamma Ray Observatory.
    This discovery was seen by Chandra, an X-Ray Observatory.

Not to mention that's a bit of old news now, and they already "released" that info without a press conference.

Don't know why everyone keeps talking about Tuesday. Press conference is today at 17:30UMT

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Any word on what the Vatican statement is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so, when do I need to fire up the stream to watch?

Advertisement