Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misfits Season 3 **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've edited in a bit more of what I mean. Principally, it seems like they went out of their way to show that Simon takes the responsibility of his power and his knowledge very seriously indeed, and wouldn't use either to manipulate anybody else for his own gain under any circumstances - like in the club, when his power is reversed. Whereas Future Simon seems to have no bother at all with arranging a kind of future-to-present booty call with Alisha?

If he really is from the future, then it's uncharacteristically unethical for Simon to use his knowledge of their future relationships to - ahem - manipulate Alisha for his own ends. It's made evident that Alisha takes a special interest in Simon only after Future Simon makes her take another look at him. Whatever relationship they're going to have, in our future, is arguably now only going to be a product of Future Simon's meddling.

Whether that's his intention - one of his clocks, one of the things that "needs to happen" - remains to be seen, but it feels like something we were supposed to wonder about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Getcha. It is a verrrry strange turn of personality.

I always get the feeling that Simon is holding a lot in, sometimes he seems to be imploding silently. Perhaps something happens that exposes a different facet of his personality. His e4 page also refers to him having a sharp and calculating mind, so I have a funny feeling his awkwardness isn't as genuine as he lets on. It prevents people from getting to close to him. I'd say something big is going to happen to change Simon, and future Simon is going to make sure that happens.

It's three AM, I'm going to go and dream about Simon/Iwan Rheon ;)

edit: Random thought- anyone think he killed Curtis to get his power? I wonder are the powers transferable, i.e. if there was another storm, could future Simon deliberately make his present self steal Curtis' power? I dunno.

That's the thing, and brace yourself folks, it's about to get really nerdy up in here; A couple of people have mentioned some comics and superhero stories that seem to have had an influence on this show. The comic that Misfits has always reminded me of most is Marvel's Runaways, by Brian K Vaughan and Joss Whedon.

I'm wondering if Simon isn't the "Victor" of the bunch, if that's the case?

EDIT: If the ASBO 5 are a recognised thing in the future - "famous", as Future Simon seems to miserably imply - then Future Curtis' superhero outfit would make sense as a kind of a press gimmick or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Is it possible that future simon is just lying to get alisha away from curtis, just so he is pushed into investigating the new girl more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Is it possible that future simon is just lying to get alisha away from curtis, just so he is pushed into investigating the new girl more?

That makes faaaar more sense than my Simon is a murderer theory. Must. stop. being. so. sensationalist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well he seemed pretty interested in her already. Saying that, it's possible that he was interested in her but did nothing about it because of Alisha and Simon needs to change that like you say. I wonder does it go back even further than that. Maybe Simon is responsible for getting Nathan's brother to meet him because that led to Curtis seeing the future. Hell maybe Simon is responsible for all of them being on community service and getting their powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Well he seemed pretty interested in her already. Saying that, it's possible that he was interested in her but did nothing about it because of Alisha and Simon needs to change that like you say. I wonder does it go back even further than that. Maybe Simon is responsible for getting Nathan's brother to meet him because that led to Curtis seeing the future. Hell maybe Simon is responsible for all of them being on community service and getting their powers.

Ah, it all makes sense now. Simon went back in time and impregnated his own mother so that he was born, so that he could go back in time.:pac:

Someone pulled that on me in Coppers last week. Scarlet seeing it on E4 of all places. :cool:

Sorry to go off topic, but proper choking-on-my-tea lols at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

wil wrote: »
    Thats so gay.:D:D:D

Yeah I was slightly off the mark on the tattooist power. Pretty damn cool power though. The stabbing thing was cool! Poor Curtis of course but still! :pac:
    I fancied Simon before everyone else did, like last season.
    Eeeeveryone fancies him now he's so hot and sexy cos he's from the future and he can touch Elisha... wah wah wah. I thought he was hot when he was weird and awkward and cut the crusts off his sandwiches.

SNAP! Gotta lurve the awkward weird boys :p

Just watched it there now.
    I couldn't help but laugh out loud at some of gay Nathan's carry on. Even woke me poor Mother from the random laughs :pac:
    Get the feeling future Simon really shouldn't be messing about with Alisha but he just can't help himself!

Clips for next week have me confused esp with the dude wanting his money and the gun running after them all :confused:

Also...what is the name of the song/band playing when S+A are getting a bit of lurving, anyone know?

And who the hell is the girl who is gonna
    take present day Simons virginity soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

A problem I'm having with this theory and the others is that, didn't Simon follow his future self home and stop at the last minute, I'm still trying to figure what that means in this.The part of him following himself kind of gets rid of many of the future Simon lying and being the actual Simon stuff...unless he went back and they've just hidden it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Someone posted earlier about not understanding my comparison to Heroes or Doctor Who, so what the hell:

In Series 1 & 2 of Heroes, we see a Future Hiro come into the storyline. Future Hiro is obsessed with a series of events that he wants to change, keeping track of them through an elaborate timeline - actually a room with ropes criss-crossing it and photos, documents and relevant details of the timeline attached to the ropes. Future Hiro is much more confident, suave and capable than Current Hiro. He makes himself present at various points in the story to make sure certain things happen or do not happen.

In Doctor Who, we have a character who travels through time and space, with a general tendency to Right Wrongs. The writers of Doctor Who have also introduced the character River Song using the same storytelling approach as The Time Travellers Wife - the gimmick being that the relationship between two characters happens at different times in those characters' lives due to the ability of one or both of them to travel through time.

The revelation that Simon is Superhoodie feels really contrived and forced, and Aisha's reaction to it comes out of nowhere. Her character feeling lonely and deprived of physical intimacy makes sense - but suddenly deciding she's got the horn for Simon? Feh.

One of the things I'd been really enjoying with Misfits was their approach to time-travel - instead of people from a bazillion Futures Gone Wrong Travelling Back In Time With A Dire Warning, we had one guy, Curtis, who could rewind time, but there was only ever one timeline. It kept things simple and elegant.

Now we've got one of the biggest clichés in time travel happening with a boring version of an interesting character and an internal continuity that's about to make itself far more complicated than it needs to be, for no good reason. It's suddenly trying to go serious, too - what was with the over-use of the Batman Begins-style music in Simon's scenes? That climactic segment with Vince and the peanuts felt like a bad spoof, with all the grimacing and overbearing music...

Ordinarily the time travel thing would make me groan with frustration, but I'm willing to see where they bring it, purely because of how carefully planned the previous arcs have been. Any of the questions I found myself asking in the early episodes of S1 were neatly answered in the course of the series, and indeed, proved to be part of the fabric of the ongoing plot, so I'm reserving judgement on the timetravel thing for the time being. I'm happy to let them lead me down this garden path for now. If it turns out they've brought me somewhere stupid in time for the finale, I'll get cranky then, but we'll see.

Superhoodie was one of my least favourite elements of the thing generally, but Iwan Rheon is a tremendous actor and I think he's earned a bit of surprisingly-muscular superhero time after all the cock/hairy armpit lines he's had to put up with. :p

I also think it genuinely does make sense for the character. Simon was always the one who took the powers thing the most seriously, who put the most thought into it, who initially suggested, albeit hesitantly, that they were superheroes, and he always made the most concerted effort to keep their secret safe. He also doesn't really have anything else to cling to, it makes sense that he would completely immerse himself in that superhero identity.

So yes, while The Dark Knight posturing did make me cringe a little, in retrospect it seems more of a product of that movie's influence on Simon than on the writers, if that makes sense. Although I must say, he always struck me as a Marvel boy, rather than a DC kind of guy...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Although I must say, he always struck me as a Marvel boy, rather than a DC kind of guy...

See, you say that and now I've got that terrible emo!Spider-man 3 scene in my head only with Iwan Rheon instead of Tobey Maguire...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    A problem I'm having with this theory and the others is that, didn't Simon follow his future self home and stop at the last minute, I'm still trying to figure what that means in this.The part of him following himself kind of gets rid of many of the future Simon lying and being the actual Simon stuff...unless he went back and they've just hidden it.

He didn't follow Superhhodie home, Superhoodie led Simon (Superhoodie being Simon and so knew Simon was following him) to the new girls house, therefore leading Curtis to meet her.

I understand Alisha's sudden falling for Superhoodie (I'm not calling him Future Simon, its too arkward.) After months of no physical intimacy, suddenly there's this person who she can touch, and he seems utterly devoted to her.

I have a feeling, and I don't know why, that Simon may end up being the hero, and Curtis being the Big Bad. I genuinely don't like him, he's a selfish prick, he has only ever used his power to get himself out of trouble. Sure if others are involved, then fine, but the other Misfits have all used their powers for the greater good in some way.

The Tattooist had a great power, I didn't get the sudden fascination with Kelly. Granted I missed the first 10 minutes or so, caught up with it when Nathan called his tattoo ghey.

Some very Dark Knight stuff going on with Superhoodie, but he carried off the presence admirably. He's a talented actor, he deserved the screen time.

I understand Alisha's sudden falling for Superhoodie (I'm not calling him Future Simon, its too arkward.) After months of no physical intimacy, suddenly there's this person who she can touch, and he seems utterly devoted to her.

Right, but the person she can touch is the same guy she's obviously thought of as a repugnant freak since day one. In terms of the series, it's been at most 2 months since they developed powers - missing the raw physicality of sex is one thing, but she's going head-over-heels for him by the look of things, despite having had a tough time opening up to Curtis as the first proper boyfriend she's ever had...

It doesn't work for me, anyway.
    I have a feeling, and I don't know why, that Simon may end up being the hero, and Curtis being the Big Bad. I genuinely don't like him, he's a selfish prick, he has only ever used his power to get himself out of trouble. Sure if others are involved, then fine, but the other Misfits have all used their powers for the greater good in some way.

Did you seriously just try to suggest that of the five central characters, Curtis is the prick? The guy who got stuck in a timeloop trying to do right by his previous girlfriend so that she wouldn't get landed in jail because of him? The guy who couldn't handle the misery his breakup inflicted on her, and who therefore ended up only managing to do right by her by unintentionally saying something so monumentally knobheaded that she dumped him in disgust?

Yeah, he's the selfish prick, and definitely not Nathan, who can't even use someone's actual name when he's begging them to save his life :rolleyes:
    The Tattooist had a great power, I didn't get the sudden fascination with Kelly. Granted I missed the first 10 minutes or so, caught up with it when Nathan called his tattoo ghey.

I didn't think it was a sudden fascination - from their conversation it was seemed pretty obvious she's a regular and he'd fancied her for a while.
    Some very Dark Knight stuff going on with Superhoodie, but he carried off the presence admirably. He's a talented actor, he deserved the screen time.

Iwan Rheon is a decent actor, but the dialogue and scripting around his Dark Knight moments were cringe-inducing. Most of it would've been at home in the Dark Knight parody episode of South Park ("The Coon", in case you're interested).

Honestly, that scene with Simon and the bag of peanuts should've been played for laughs. Instead we get "ZOMG! SERIOUS BIZNIZ!" music, slow-motion and grimacing. It was like an adaptation of a particularly bad Rob Liefeld comic :eek:

Actually you're right - Simon is an incredible actor. Though him and SuperHoodie are the same person, they both seem completely different - their postures, their mannerisms (sometimes) are not the same.

I don't think he was using the fact that he is from the future to seduce her; if he is right and they are in love, then it's understandable that he would want to touch her.

The interesting thing is this; how accurate is what Curtis saw now that Simon is actively changing aspects of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think future Simon will turn out to be a bad guy. I can see him turning on Curtis (maybe leading him to the girl with asthma is a way to separate him from the others?). Any move FS makes on the others can be undone with some time travelling by Curtis.

I also think FS might be a bit Sylar-ish (he can absorb others' powers, maybe even evolve them into stronger versions). If he has absorbed and evolved Future Alisha's power, that might explain why he is immune to her. He could have planted the future vision in Curtis with an evolved version of Future Kelly's power. If he absorbed and evolved Future Curtis's power, he could have used that to time travel. Absorbing and evolving Future Nathan's power could mean he can jump off high buildings without hurting himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

For everyone saying that simon is too ethical in the present...er he wasn't too ethical when alisha gave him a bj in the locker room (granted it wasn't alisha but still,he didn't know that :) )

I don't think he was using the fact that he is from the future to seduce her; if he is right and they are in love, then it's understandable that he would want to touch her.

It's not necessarily that he's using it just to seduce her, but what he knows about the relationships they're going to have - assuming he's for real - loads the dice in his favour in any interaction they might have. For Simon, who's always been extremely careful about the "rules" of having superpowers, that seems strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

It's not necessarily that he's using it just to seduce her, but what he knows about the relationships they're going to have - assuming he's for real - loads the dice in his favour in any interaction they might have. For Simon, who's always been extremely careful about the "rules" of having superpowers, that seems strange.

Ok, lets say Simon & Alisha get together 'naturally' as future simon says. Why then would future simon reveal himself to Alisha? Couldnt this jeopardise the way they are supposed to get together? His revealing himself to Alisha means she thinks they have to get together and therefore will go for it at some stage.

It doesnt make sense to me that he has told Alisha so much....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    That post should be spoilered tbh.

Apologies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Yeah I was slightly off the mark on the tattooist power. Pretty damn cool power though. The stabbing thing was cool! Poor Curtis of course but still! :pac:

SNAP! Gotta lurve the awkward weird boys :p

Just watched it there now.
    I couldn't help but laugh out loud at some of gay Nathan's carry on. Even woke me poor Mother from the random laughs :pac:
    Get the feeling future Simon really shouldn't be messing about with Alisha but he just can't help himself!

Clips for next week have me confused esp with the dude wanting his money and the gun running after them all :confused:

Also...what is the name of the song/band playing when S+A are getting a bit of lurving, anyone know?

And who the hell is the girl who is gonna
    take present day Simons virginity soon!

i reckon it will be kelly he lose his virginity to...her and nathan didnt work out so i reckon she and simon will try it on.... because at first she was the only one that was ever nice to him...

sophie1234 wrote: »
    i reckon it will be kelly he lose his virginity to...her and nathan didnt work out so i reckon she and simon will try it on.... because at first she was the only one that was ever nice to him...

I dunno though... That seems even more wrong!! Maybe it's a guy!!

RibenaHead wrote: »
    I dunno though... That seems even more wrong!! Maybe it's a guy!!

but if it was a guy surely he would of tried it with nathan??? because in fairness who wouldnt...im going with my theory..it also could be the shapeshifter tho she could come back.........

sophie1234 wrote: »
    but if it was a guy surely he would of tried it with nathan???

In fairness though, Nathan's a d****ead. He'd repulse a lot of people!

RibenaHead wrote: »
    In fairness though, Nathan's a d****ead. He'd repulse a lot of people!

ahhhhhhh but i still would! hahaha! and he wasnt being nice to simon so i dunno i just cant imagine it being a guy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Fysh wrote: »
    Honestly, that scene with Simon and the bag of peanuts should've been played for laughs. Instead we get "ZOMG! SERIOUS BIZNIZ!" music, slow-motion and grimacing. It was like an adaptation of a particularly bad Rob Liefeld comic :eek:
    I think that scene was played for laughs. The music, slow mo etc made it all the funnier in my opinion. It was made seem like SERIOUS BIZNIZ because it's completely ridiculous.

As for Alisha suddenly falling for Simon I think it does make sense. The first time he touched her face she was uncomfortable and pulled away; she wanted physical intimacy but he was Simon and the idea freaked her out. Then when she was talking to present day Simon she was confused and vulnerable and he comforted her and complimented her and that made her wonder if maybe she really could love him. Then she visits future Simon and he's so suave and he seems to love her and he can touch her so she just decided to go for it. I don't think she's in love with him yet, I don't know if she even properly fancies him but she believes she will so she's giving it a try. Well that's my take on it.

As for Curtis's superhero costume in the future and Simon being Superhoodie I was watching the behind the scenes video for last night's episode on the e4 site and
    the actress who plays Alisha was wearing a superhero costume in the shots when she was discussing the episode so looks like that all become superheroes. Seems a bit careless to interview her when she's dressed as a superhero so I'm guessing the writer thought we'd realised already or it could just be to mislead us.

Edit: Was just watching it again and when FS is in the shower I noticed what looks like a tattoo on his arm. Dunno if it's Iwan's and I never noticed it before or if it's intentional but found it funny considering Simon saying he's afraid of needles earlier in the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Last night's episode was so, so good!

Can't wait for next week!! :D:D

I wonder if SuperHoodie can still turn invisible.

There's a few other things that strike me - I don't think Curtis' visions are accurate now, because SuperHoodie is actively changing them by his solely being there. Alisha wasn't supposed to fall down the stairs, bumping her head and requiring her to be taken back to SuperHoodie's lair, so Curtis is seeing a alternative version of the future that doesn't necessarily exist anymore.

Oh no, I've just gone cross-eyed.

I don't think that SuperHoodie went back alone either. We all saw that there was a drug that reversed their power. There may be a drug that makes their power stronger; giving Curtis the ability to travel back further and taking future Simon back with him. However, if this is the case, where is Future Curtis? It could be possible that Future Simon tricked Future Curtis to bring him back in time, with Future Simon killing Future Curtis and manipulating the future to his own version of it.

Damnit, gone cross-eyed again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I never really thought much of Alicia's character until this episode but wow I think it's a great twist two unlikey characters ending up like that. Also was shocked that
    Simon is Superhoodie :eek:
    I really can't wait until non futer Simon gets with her :D

I was a bit disapointed about the Nathan and Kellie thing I really wanted it to happen, I'm curious to what's going to happen there :rolleyes:

Advertisement