Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misfits Season 3 **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Edit: Was just watching it again and when FS is in the shower I noticed what looks like a tattoo on his arm. Dunno if it's Iwan's and I never noticed it before or if it's intentional but found it funny considering Simon saying he's afraid of needles earlier in the episode.

Was just watching it again, I think it's actually a scar from the glass in his arm last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Future Simon hasn't actually gone invisible has he? He could've done when he was in alisha's bedroom...but he didn't /couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Fysh wrote: »
    ........ but she's going head-over-heels for him by the look of things, despite having had a tough time opening up to Curtis as the first proper boyfriend she's ever had...

It doesn't work for me, anyway.

.....Iwan Rheon is a decent actor, but the dialogue and scripting around his Dark Knight moments were cringe-inducing. Most of it would've been at home in the Dark Knight parody episode of South Park ("The Coon", in case you're interested).

Honestly, that scene with Simon and the bag of peanuts should've been played for laughs. Instead we get "ZOMG! SERIOUS BIZNIZ!" music, slow-motion and grimacing. It was like an adaptation of a particularly bad Rob Liefeld comic :eek:
    I think you are pretty spot on and I'm with you on most of your observations.
    Actually none of them apart from Simon are actually bad. There is lots more going on with him we dont know, he has spent time in an institution for burning something, he didnt particularly flinch after killing the supervisor he fancied stalked and then froze. I'm not so sure he isnt the least menacing of them.
    What future is he trying to form and why?

Likewise, him and Alisha doesnt work for me either.
    Suddenly he is spiderman hanging from a thread of time, jumping off tall buildings, teasing her into bed. It was too easy. In fact the only way I think it can work is if it all goes wrong for him.
    As for Nathan, he is a loveable rogue starved of affection using piss taking as a defence mechanism. You saw how he took his brother under his arm or how he acts with Kelly.
    Curtis too is the victim of circumstance which turned out to be unavoidable without hurting others, a bit tragic in the real sense of the word.

I am still veering towards all getting a go at being superheros.
    The Asbo 5.
    I am interested to see where the undiscovered powers of others leads them. So far he powers of others have been inconsequential outside the individual episode. Who is the step dad the writer mentioned?

The first 2 episodes were brilliant, this one felt a bit lazy, I'm hoping it is all part of a bigger plot rather than plain dry roasted nuts.
    Perhaps the tatooist does get another go at Simon.
    Will there be another storm?

He spent time in an institution for putting a petrol bomb through his old friends house after he blanked him wasn't it?

He made sure that the family was out, and drunkenly poured lighter fluid through their door. He had a change of heart when he realised there was a cat in the house - “the cat didn’t bully me at school" - and got caught trying to er, put it out.

So as well as the firestarting, ultimately I think he was probably institutionalised for pissing through a letterbox.

• Advertisement

Incidentally, if you aren't already following them, get thee to Twitter and follow @superhoodie, @kellymisfits, @simonmisfits and @nathanmisfits. Perfect in-character profiles - right down to Kelly's nearly unreadable txtspk and Nathan's love of penis facts, they even have conversations among themselves and give a kind of running character commentary with each episode. The Curtis account is now dormant, and the Alisha account, in a rather nice touch, is set to private.

Well worth following them all just to watch them tweet back and forth among themselves, but "Nathan" in particular deserves exceptional kudos for this exchange with a fan earlier today:
    @hitchinariide: Late late Toy show's on tonight. You watching it? :) #asknathan
    @nathanmisfits: Not a chance, it hasn’t been the same since Gaybo left. It’s just not Christmas without his jumpers… roll it there Roisin.

:D

Now that is attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Right, but the person she can touch is the same guy she's obviously thought of as a repugnant freak since day one. In terms of the series, it's been at most 2 months since they developed powers - missing the raw physicality of sex is one thing, but she's going head-over-heels for him by the look of things, despite having had a tough time opening up to Curtis as the first proper boyfriend she's ever had...

It doesn't work for me, anyway.
    Thats the thing about what I feel about her and Curtis. It seems to be all physical (even though they can't touch) They never seemed to sit right with me.

Did you seriously just try to suggest that of the five central characters, Curtis is the prick? The guy who got stuck in a timeloop trying to do right by his previous girlfriend so that she wouldn't get landed in jail because of him? The guy who couldn't handle the misery his breakup inflicted on her, and who therefore ended up only managing to do right by her by unintentionally saying something so monumentally knobheaded that she dumped him in disgust?

Yeah, he's the selfish prick, and definitely not Nathan, who can't even use someone's actual name when he's begging them to save his life :rolleyes:

As I said, I don't like him. I'm a bit hazy on the last series now, have to bust it out again, but did he not START the time loop because he was caught out by her coming to visit him and he was with Alisha?

Don't get me wrong, Nathan is self centered, but I don't see him as a bad/evil character, I get more of that from Curtis.

I didn't think it was a sudden fascination - from their conversation it was seemed pretty obvious she's a regular and he'd fancied her for a while.

Didn't catch the conversation, so I'll go with you on this.

Iwan Rheon is a decent actor, but the dialogue and scripting around his Dark Knight moments were cringe-inducing. Most of it would've been at home in the Dark Knight parody episode of South Park ("The Coon", in case you're interested).

Honestly, that scene with Simon and the bag of peanuts should've been played for laughs. Instead we get "ZOMG! SERIOUS BIZNIZ!" music, slow-motion and grimacing. It was like an adaptation of a particularly bad Rob Liefeld comic :eek:

I think the peanut scene was deliberately over seriousofied. And to show how one obscure little moment can have big consequences.

However I did more than once get a feeling that this could all be a delusion from Simon caused by his little episode. But I hope they don't go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Just to make any of those Iwan Rheon lovers melt some more, listen to him sing
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Was just watching it again, I think it's actually a scar from the glass in his arm last week.
    Aw damn. My computer screen is kinda messed up so couldn't see it too clearly.

As for Iwan's songs....wow. As I said more of a Robert fan but I could fall for that voice alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Iwan's singing voice reminds me of David Gray (must be the Welsh thing)..

.. damn fine voice to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

wil wrote: »
    Who is the step dad the writer mentioned?
    I thought he meant in the 1st season, Nathan's mam's boyfriend, maybe they'll get married in this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

ok so,
    Future Simon gets Alisha to promise not to tell the others about him because 'it could change everything'. Surely, the same logic applies to him revealing himself to Alisha??? It just makes no sense that he would let her know his identity unless it was all just a plan to seduce her...

ok so,
    Future Simon gets Alisha to promise not to tell the others about him because 'it could change everything'. Surely, the same logic applies to him revealing himself to Alisha??? It just makes no sense that he would let her know his identity unless it was all just a plan to seduce her...

Well I don't think it was initially planned but when it did happen he missed her and couldn't stand not being near her. That's my take on it, well presuming he's really Simon and not a shapeshifter or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

ok so,
    Maybe seducing her is part of the plan to save her from dying (if he's telling the truth about her dying), whether it's true or not. I don't think he's using her though. I'd say they really did get together. Can't imagine how it happened the first time around without Future Simon there. That'll be interesting to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I think it would be much more interesting if it turns out FutureSimon isn't all what he says. Maybe his interactions with Alisha are to get her interested in PresentSimon, which is something that might not have happened at all in the other timeline. My head!

One question though. Why does FutureSimon bother with a mask? If he doesn't want to be seen and recognised why doesn't he turn invisible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Well in fairness we have already seen present day Simons power mature.

At the start he could only turn invisible when he felt he was being ignored.
    Now he seems to be able to turn invisible when he wants.

Plus by seeming like a superhero to them then future simon has a kinda of hold on their imagination. After this peanut incident they will be more likely to follow whatever direction or hints he throws at them than if he were to just wander about invisible. Because they are intrigued by him then he has slight advantage and power over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I thought he meant in the 1st season, Nathan's mam's boyfriend, maybe they'll get married in this season?
    Could be - wonder what power he has. Not sure about marrying after the blood and teeth event.

FYI if you enjoy Nathans wisecracking, you might enjoy Ruaidhrí Conroy as Kid in Six Shooter (possibly his inspiration), or David Thewliss in Naked.

Cheers for the heads up on the twitters jill_v

Yeah I think you are right, they all got done for fairly minor misdemeanours
    Nathan "for stealing pick n'mix". Curtis gave up a sucessful running career in one of his timelines rather than affect others, so while he may be cold he is not heartless.

Anyone rememember the name of the sixth member who lasted the first episode. What a kicker.

Could be - wonder what power he has. Not sure about marrying after the blood and teeth event.

At night or else during a full moon (not sure which) he becomes a dog mentally. Remember last season when Nathan found out and tried to use it to get his mum to break up with him?
    Anyone rememember the name of the sixth member who lasted the first episode. What a kicker.

It was Gary I think but I'm not completely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yep it was Gary, and technically he didn't even last the first episode, more like the first 15 minutes :pac:

I wonder what happened in the present for future simon. What is he changing? What happened Nathan when he rescued him on the bike? What happened in the tatoo parlour without the nuts? Did Nathan die when the pure innocents ones were after him? Did someone else die in the tatoo parlour? But Nathan cant die, So what exactly was the point of rescuing him??? I wanna know what future simon went through! Is he actually changing things? He has to be because already Alisha has changed in her attitude towards him - thanking him and simon being surprised. Also, why would future simon sleep with Alisha if he had already done so as present simon. Isnt that kinda cheating on present simon if you get me? Also, doesnt future simon know that kelly can read peoples thoughts? So if Alisha is thinking about future simon, wont that blow the whole thing open and his request to keep him secret is worthless? I dont think Misfits knows where its going with this at all and I think when they tie everything together, it'll make absolutely no sense!

• Advertisement

No need to spoiler your post,it's a thread to chat about what has hapened so far. To answer you...Simon can change the past because he already did so,iykwim. Someone will have a more scientically correct explanation,i can't think of the name now but in the timeline,he remembers the person in black and so then in the future he becomes them...giving myself a headache now,lol. Basically he knew he had to give the gang the peanuts as he remembers back then that the person in black appeared with them..even though he didn't realise at the time it was him.
    It's not cheating on present simon as they're not together yet and in his mind she's his girlfriend so it's allowed.

I'm guessing FS saved Nathan from the 'virtue virgins' because if Nathan died there he wouldn't have gone on to kill the girl who had the power to brainwash them which in turn would mean they would be less likely to visit his grave to rescue him meaning he would be trapped in his coffin forever.

ok, I got another question - that last episode really has my head wrecked!
    Is Future Simon actually changing things? After Alisha finds out about him, She appraches present day simon with a different attitude. It was this that led to Simon saying she was beautiful. But future simon says he remembered this happening; how could this be if he is changing things? Unless there is a futute future simon that this has already happened too. I hate time travel - why did they have to bring it in here!

Well, time travel has different "rules" in every different show, but, let's say for the sake of argument that since these things have already happened in Future Simon's past, he has to do them again or it would disrupt the fabric of reality. Like, Future Simon could do something else; there's no physical reason why he's compelled to be in each time and place when he is, but he knows that if he wasn't, he'd be disrupting a timeline that's already happened and causing chaos. Like popping the chain off the universe's bicycle, to use a bizarre and likely inappropriate analogy.

Besides, it's Simon, he's the responsible one. The stuff he's doing is likely what he would have done anyway.

Well, time travel has different "rules" in every different show, but, let's say for the sake of argument that since these things have already happened in Future Simon's past, he has to do them again or it would disrupt the fabric of reality. Like, Future Simon could do something else; there's no physical reason why he's compelled to be in each time and place when he is, but he knows that if he wasn't, he'd be disrupting a timeline that's already happened and causing chaos. Like popping the chain off the universe's bicycle, to use a bizarre and likely inappropriate analogy.

Besides, it's Simon, he's the responsible one. The stuff he's doing is likely what he would have done anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's like future Jill Valentine came in and posted that and that had the effect of making present Jill Valentine post exactly the same thing at the same time?

This is why I think TV shows just should not touch on the timetravel aspect. There are too many variables, too many possibilities and essentially lead to unfortunate gaping plotholes.

IMHO, that's generally only a problem if it's a series that has a couple of people at the wheel, writing over the course of the filming. Misfits has the benefit of a relatively short series with one dude in charge. As I understand it, he writes the whole series before they ever start shooting, so there's a very definite, complete arc in mind. I reckon he's got a clear idea of what the rules are, even if we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Did you seriously just try to suggest that of the five central characters, Curtis is the prick? The guy who got stuck in a timeloop trying to do right by his previous girlfriend so that she wouldn't get landed in jail because of him? The guy who couldn't handle the misery his breakup inflicted on her, and who therefore ended up only managing to do right by her by unintentionally saying something so monumentally knobheaded that she dumped him in disgust?

Yeah, he's the selfish prick, and definitely not Nathan, who can't even use someone's actual name when he's begging them to save his life :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was a sudden fascination - from their conversation it was seemed pretty obvious she's a regular and he'd fancied her for a while.

Iwan Rheon is a decent actor, but the dialogue and scripting around his Dark Knight moments were cringe-inducing. Most of it would've been at home in the Dark Knight parody episode of South Park ("The Coon", in case you're interested).

He didn't save Nathan when he died? The "Dark Knight" music is epic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_03I0O-N4
    and adds a different element to the show. If it isn't going anywhere it is just a poor, less funny version of the Inbetweeners. After the first couple of episodes I thought it was a chav version of Heros but it is so much more now, as long as it doesn't turn to 100% fail like Heros did I have high hopes for it. Well writen, edited and scripted (OST is brilliant too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I reckon he's got a clear idea of what the rules are, even if we don't.

I hope he does because time travel in film and TV is a tricky thing that will throw open a lot of holes if not treated right. I loved how Lost dealt with it, head wrecking and crazy as it was, the show runners had a handle on it and had unbreakable rules.

I just hope Midfits doesn't end up like Hereos.

Advertisement