Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Up to Tymon park this morning, nice weather for ducks and raccoons perhaps, but a teeny bit damp for the rest of us.
    Warmup - 5.06 km in 28.55 (5.43 pace)
    Then stopped for a bit of a stretch, reset the watch, and off for the killer PMP miles:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    not much to report really. After about 7k I took an isogel, one of the freebies from the half marathon, on the run. After 12/13k I stopped up at the shops for some water (could have saved some money and squeezed out my clothes). A few more k and I took a second isogel, still not really feeling that they're doing anything, and finished up at 23.05k, 1.54.57 (4.59 pace). Cooled down with 2.06k in 12.45.

I think the difficulty in these PMP miles is that I'm always second-guessing how hard they feel. In the half-marathon the horizon was an hour away - I'd try to work out if I could keep the effort up to the end of the run, knowing that I could give it everything I had left at the end. In this run I'm thinking,"hmm this is a bit hard, is it too hard to keep up for 26 miles? what if I slow down, should I work harder? but its only a training run...?" and on like that in a maddening loop.

... oh yeah, the disasters... well, my preferred top was still in the wash, and I forgot to put on my Bodyglide :( the shower afterwards was a bit sore :o

kmtd: 30.16

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Ray, it's supposed to be tough, you'd gain nothing if it wasn't but when you're cruising along after 14 of them on the day you'll be singing the praises of those paced runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Conditions today were very tough, so hopefully we wont see that for the marathon

8.82 in 52.45 (5.59 pace)

Easy run home. Legs are pretty tired today, too much drinking over the weekend. Will have to stop that until after the marathon...

kmtd: 38.98

Club session -
    warmup jog to the hill about 5.30 pace
    First lap - 5.40 (about 4.09 pace, more than 5k effort given the climb)
    Second - 5.36 (meant to go slower :rolleyes:)
    Third - 5.45

Then a fastish run back to the kids, about 2.5k at tempo pace

Surprised I went so fast (and most of the group was much faster), didn't think I'd be up to it tonight...

kmtd: 47.39

• Advertisement

About 8.5k at about 6.15 pace

garmin had a lot of trouble finding a signal this morning...

kmtd: 55.89

Broke this into two runs
    8.96 in 51.58 (5.48 pace)
    Supposed to be 6.00 pace again :rolleyes: Stopped the watch and reset after 9k (when I crossed the lipstick stones on the Dodder), for the second section

7.29 in 38.39 (5.18 pace)
    Supposed to be 5.30s.

Wet and windy out, but run went okay. Bit of a niggle on the right inside thigh, nothing major. Was reminded when I got home that wet clothes = need for Bodyglide:(

kmtd: 72.14

8.59 in 53.28 (6.11 pace)

Slow recovery run into work. Was wearing the runners I wore for DCM last year - they're okay for running on grass, but I need to pick up some more runners...

kmtd: 80.73

11.82k in 1.06.35 (5.38 pace)

Ran up to Marlay Park to meet Woddle for a few miles. The park is 8 KM from my house, not 8 miles:rolleyes: so I was there early, went for a lap myself then out to get a bottle of water and take a gel.

20.26k in 1.55.37 (5.42 pace)

Woddle arrived just as I finished the water and took me on a guided tour of the parks of south Dublin :) We weren't very good at sticking to a pace - I never am when running with other people, so I won't be volunteering for any pacing gigs in a hurry. Parted company after about 10k, so I could stop showing off and slow down :D
    Pace was more erratic on the way home - I detoured through part of the Dodder park where the club meets, and was running into the wind and I think I slowed right down - but I was able to pick it up for the last couple of clicks (and if I really really had to could have gone further). Stomach was a bit crampy in that last section - not enough to slow me down but uncomfortable. That's a bit of a worry, if my stomach doesn't like one gel any more, how will it react to the four I have planned? I might be mugging small children for their jellies on race day :D

kmtd: 112.81[/QUOTE]

RayCun wrote: »
    if my stomach doesn't like one gel any more, how will it react to the four I have planned?

Just take them on a few runs whether you need them or not over the next few weeks, that'll get the body used to them again.

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just take them on a few runs whether you need them or not over the next few weeks, that'll get the body used to them again.

One or two I'd be fine with, it's the thought of four in two hours that has me a little concerned. Damn right I'll be taking one next week :)

Hi Ray;
    I find the ISO gels ones where you dont need water to be light one the stomach.

If your at the Donadea 10km on Sat i can give you one to try?

it's the thought of four in two hours that has me a little concerned.

Going for the world record are we? :pac:

I've tried them a few times and I don't feel I'm getting anything from them. I need the disgusting taste and the thump as the gel hits my stomach for the placebo effect to kick in :D

I've tried them a few times and I don't feel I'm getting anything from them. I need the disgusting taste and the thump as the gel hits my stomach for the placebo effect to kick in :D

Reminds me of Bally8's famous post!

Reminds me of Bally8's famous post!

I'd like to make it clear that Mr Slow is the one reminding us of this comparison. I'm not in a position to compare the experiences.

(was it Bally8? I thought it was the woman who moved to New Zealand?)

I'd like to make it clear that Mr Slow is the one reminding us of this comparison. I'm not in a position to compare the experiences.

(was it Bally8? I thought it was the woman who moved to New Zealand?)

The comparison is between posts not experiences but there's no need to be defensive Ray, there's no judgement here! :pac:

Luzoade sport ones in boots arent bad either.

Not sure we need gels really as there be bottles of isotonic drink on the course.

The worst part of the marathon is after you finish, your still buzzing from the sugar overload!!

Not sure we need gels really as there be bottles of isotonic drink on the course.

I'll take everything I can get, thank you!:cool:
    The worst part of the marathon is after you finish, your still buzzing from the sugar overload!!

I find the worst part is the pain! :pac:

The heinken will get rid off the pain :)

Not sure where mcgrattans is, but i will find it by the smell :D

• Advertisement

8.74k in 53.02 (6.04 pace)

easy run home from work

kmtd: 121.55

Club session.
    Only a small group tonight, I think some confusion about training times because the kids group is changing around. 12 x 300 with about 90 seconds recovery, time was between 63 and 69 for each. Feeling pretty tired tonight, not sharp at all. Looking forward to tapering after the weekend :)

kmtd: 126.05

8.53 in 56.32 (6.37 pace)

Recovery run into work. As you can see from the slower and slower pace of these recovery runs, I'm getting tired :) Roll on taper...

kmtd: 134.58

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

As you can see from the slower and slower pace of these recovery runs, I'm getting old :) Roll on retirement!

FYP :p

Are you doing Donadea 10k at the weekend?

Are you doing Donadea 10k at the weekend?

He is indeed, are you mounting a challenge?

He is indeed, are you mounting a challenge?

Because if you are, you'll have to register it with my personal assistant :pac:

Because if you are, you'll have to register it with my personal assistant :pac:

Calling Bookie Brian! :pac:

Ha ha, no challenge, he is faster than me, not afraid to admit to that.

Looking forward to it now though, hopefully it go well.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, no challenge, he is faster than me, not afraid to admit to that.

Looking forward to it now though, hopefully it go well.

Both going for sub 3:30 puts ye in the same category though! ;)

Advertisement