Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

8.56 in 53.53 (6.17 pace)

slow and easy run back in to work

kmtd: 93.37

26.97 in 2.34.14 (5.43 pace)

up to the Park for a loop with the lads. Slightly faster and slightly further than I would have gone on my own - the hips were starting to complain a bit towards the end - but grand really. Slowed right down as I left the park and went uphill into the wind on the way home, but it was a controlled slowing, I just didn't want to push it in a recovery week.

kmtd: 120.34

9.12 in 56.45 (6.14 pace)

Since Sunday's run was a little longer than planned, I found myself closer than expected to the 1000 mile mark, so I added an extra k to today's recovery run home from work. Finished the 1000 miles last year right at the end of December, this year I'll probably be up around 1300/1400 by then. Next year... not much difference I think, will expect to reach the 1000 in August sometime.

kmtd: 129.46

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Congrats Ray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Ray. Not the best of days for it.

• Advertisement

Club session - ladder session

200, 300, 400, 600, 1000, each with 300 jog recovery, then a break of a few minutes, and the same in reverse. A nice session, you feel okay slowing down on the way up, because after all the distances are increasing. Then on the way down you can go hard on each run, knowing the distances are shortening. On the first set I felt a bit stiff and dropped off the group in front, but felt much looser after the break and enjoyed pushing the pace. That's the problem with running fast - its so much more fun than plodding along :) - but two more very easy runs and a rest day mean I should be okay for Saturday

kmtd: 129.46 + 8.2

5.37 miles in 59.47 (11.08 pace!)

Legs quite sore this morning, paying for yesterday's fun. :rolleyes: I think this is the longest this run into work has ever taken me (except during the snow)

It is interesting though, how slowly I can run on these recovery runs, and on the recovery jogs between intervals last night. I'm not sure if I ran this slowly last year, even when my fastest mile speed would have been about 8 minutes.

kmtd: 129.46 + 16.84

8.82 km in 57.25 (6.30 pace)

Superslow again - legs are still a bit sore from Tuesday (though much better than yesterday)so I took it very easy. Lengthened the stride a bit half way home, just to give the legs a bit more of a stretch, but was still very, very slow.

kmtd: 129.46 + 25.66

RayCun wrote: »
    8.82 km in 57.25 (6.30 pace)

Superslow again - legs are still a bit sore from Tuesday (though much better than yesterday)so I took it very easy. Lengthened the stride a bit half way home, just to give the legs a bit more of a stretch, but was still very, very slow.

kmtd: 129.46 + 25.66

You should have pushed it out, just to see! :D

A good run, very happy with it.
    It was cold before the start, but was warm enough when we started, from all the other runners in the pen. First couple of ks were pretty crowded, as usual, and the first was slow at 4.43 while I tried to find room to run. (I had mile time showing on the Garmin, and was trying to stay about 7.20, but forgot to switch the Autolap over the miles so my record is in kms :rolleyes:)
    Pace was down to 4.19 and 4.21 on the early downhill sections, but slowed on ks 7 and 8 down to 7.26 as we ran up Wellington Road. ate a gel on the way up here, because I knew there was a water station early on Chesterfield. I stopped completely there, ducking in off the road to drink two cups of water. My first time trying this - I was back in position less than a minute later, so I'll be doing it again.
    The run up Chesterfield was tough, seemed to be never ending (and at 4.54 was my slowest). I knew it was going to be long when I saw the lead runner coming back the other way :eek:, and it seemed like ages before I saw the 1.30 pacers. I was feeling okay at this point, but also kind of fragile, like it wouldn't take a lot to throw me off my rhythm and I'd never get it back if I lost it. The next couple of miles along the North Road were tough, but I reached the hour mark at about 8.15 miles, and knew then that I was on target, I could manage the remaining 5 miles in 37 minutes.
    Once we got off the North Road and did the loop at the Castleknock gate things got much easier. We were going downhill, I was passing people out, and everyone around me seemed to have the same idea, accelerating towards the finish. This part of the run felt great :) - on target, running fast, still with some energy left. the little hill onto Acres Road hurt, but the road itself was fine. Saw a clubmate on the way in and he shouted me on to a fast finish, 5k pace for the last few hundred metres.

kmtd: 129.46 + 46.76

• Advertisement

Slow recovery run this morning, 6.17k in 40.15

kmtd: 129.46 + 52.93

Great run Ray, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done Ray
    Great running

8.74k in 51.35 (5.54 pace)

Tough run home from work. Wanted to run this at proper LSR pace (even if it isn't very L), but legs were pretty tired and sore - I felt like I was running almost as fast as on Saturday, but looked at the Garmin and I was at 9.30 pace :rolleyes:
    Oh well, should be better tomorrow (and I'll be back in modern units, looking forward to Sunday...)

kmtd: 129.46 + 61.67

Club session

1k warmup
    20 minutes of 200m fast 100m recovery
    Few minutes break
    Then an easyish run, 2/2.5k?

Forgot to bring the Garmin again :rolleyes: Was taking this fairly easy anyway, legs are still sore from Saturday and I could feel every step in my knees and hips. Call it 6k to be conservative...

kmtd: 129.46 + 67.67

8.57k in 51.38 (6.01 pace)

usual into work run, but a bit faster than usual (ie, only very slow)

kmtd: 129.46 + 76.24

8.73k in 47.50 (5.29 pace)

Don't know what this was supposed to be, just 'a run' :pac:
    Half day for my daughter's birthday, and had to go straight home rather than make it a medium long run.

kmtd: 129.46 + 84.97

8.49k in 45.53 (5.24 pace)

Another ??? run. GA pace, I suppose, starting around 6/km coming down to around 5/km, but only a short distance. More or less recovered since the half, only the usual twinges - calves, upper thigh/groin a bit tender again, sole of my left foot has been a bit sore this week - but overall I feel okay.

kmtd: 129.46 + 93.46

Didn't have a clue what to expect from the day. On the one hand, I thought I was in better condition than for the last 2 5ks I raced, and the half last week was a confidence boost. On the other hand - it never seems to be that easy :o and during my warmup run my calf and groin were tweaking me a bit. I didn't do any warmup strides at all, I didn't want the knock of having them hurt more before the start.
    Lined up near the start line (not near enough, judging by the first k), and pushed quite hard from the very start. At one stage my pace was down about 3.30, but I decided not to slow myself down - I knew I'd ease off naturally after a couple of minutes anyway, and if I slowed down deliberately I'd probably drop too much pace. Had to do a fair amount of running on the path at this stage, up to the first k in 3.48. By the time we turned the corner and got to the first mile marker (6.04 was the time called) things had started to string out, but even through the second mile there was some dodging to be done as runners in front settled into clumps of two or three running side-by-side.
    Second k, with the bit of a hill up to Terenure pace slipped to 4.00, which was still okay, but it was slipping more on the third k (to 4.03)- that long straight is tough mentally, and when everyone else is slowing down it's easy to slow with them. I really had to focus on passing people out, moving on from group to group instead of sitting pat, and keep working towards the corner to the final straight.
    At that corner I accelerated again - I always like to speed up on corners anyway, and with the downhill straight after it was easy to maintain the pace. I'd had average pace on the main screen of the Garmin, and it had been slipping through mile 2, but now I was able to reverse that. Lap 4 was 3.59, and I knew I just had to repeat that to stay under 20, but I was actually running faster. There were a couple of people at around the same pace but I was passing more people - I think the only person to overtake me in the last 3 k was PVincent, my coach, who was running very well and had breath for a few words of encouragement as he passed.
    Last k was great - on target, pace wasn't dropping, just counting off the x metres to go signs. Managed the last k in 3.47, for a final time of 19.39 :D

kmtd: 129.46 + 98.48

Congrats Ray, well deserved!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Well done hubby, proud of you! Go team awesome :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nicely done, you must be chuffed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done Ray! Brilliant race :)

Cheers for the shout out at the finish line and apologies for not popping over to say hello but I was like a raging bull after the race..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ray.... Fantastic time, well done! I saw you ahead of me but couldn't keep that pace! Great advertisement for 'Knocklyon Ruuners' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done man, the difference a couple of months can make :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Savage stuff - good man yourself :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Super running Ray. Pulled well away from some of us with that one.

Super running Ray. Pulled well away from some of us with that one.

I'll be watching over my shoulder when you have two lungs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great run today Ray, congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Well done Ray, you deserve that result!!

Advertisement