Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done Ray, fantastic time,
    Great running- a testament to the training you are doing- both with and without the club.
    Here's hoping you'll drag the rest of us with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Ray. You well and truly have your mojo back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

That's a 3:11 marathon according to McMillan! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's a 3:11 marathon according to McMillan! ;)

But only 3.28 according to the IAAf scoring tables, which in this case might be more accurate
    :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Well done, an example to all of us aspiring runners:) A time I can only dream about at present.

That 3:30:00 marathon looks under threat - by a 3:25:00;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fantastic stuff Ray! You must be delighted :) Congrats on a great pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done Ray, great time. It was very windy at times in the Phoenix PArk yesterday morning, thought it might have caused problems up the Terenure Road to the College, but you seem to have managed, no bother.

8.75k in 53.51 (6.09 pace)

Easy run home. Legs aren't tired, but they are a bit sore. Nothing serious, just general complaints...

kmtd: 129.46 + 107.23

RayCun wrote: »
    But only 3.28 according to the IAAf scoring tables, which in this case might be more accurate
    :eek:

:pac:

It gives me 3:34 based on my 5k :(

It gives me 3:34 based on my 5k :(

I was only joking though :pac:
    All questions about the accuracy of the tables aside, they're not even an attempt to predict what you will run one distance in based on another result. It's more saying "this is a C- 5k time. A C- marathon time would be..."
    While MacMillan (or the P&D calculator, or any of the others) do say "if you can run X, you can also run Y"

• Advertisement

I was only joking though :pac:
    All questions about the accuracy of the tables aside, they're not even an attempt to predict what you will run one distance in based on another result. It's more saying "this is a C- 5k time. A C- marathon time would be..."
    While MacMillan (or the P&D calculator, or any of the others) do say "if you can run X, you can also run Y"

I know, you're right, as someone said on another thread 'what does McMillan give you for your shot put?' ;)

Half a club session

Kids training moved half an hour earlier to get some more light, so I went for an easy 3.92k @ 5.43 pace to fill the time.

When the club started, we went for a 25 minute tempo run, 5.17k, 4.54 pace (so actually more like marathon pace - there were three of us running together who had raced on Sunday, all happy to take things easy enough.

kmtd: 129.46 + 116.32

8.53 km in 50.32 (5.55 pace)

Recovery run into work. A bit faster than usual, less of a session last night to recover from.

kmtd: 129.46 + 124.85

Bit of a mess of a run today :rolleyes:
    Left work and started running along the marathon route through Clonskeagh... first km 5.47, second 5.31, running up the last bit of hill 5.18... good? No terrible:mad: I'm supposed to be running at 6.00 pace, this is supposed to be the PMP+20% bit of the run, and I'm supposed to speed up to PMP+10%/5.30 pace for the second half. More importantly, Saturday is the most terrifying run in the P&D schedule, 18 miles with 14@PMP (3 x 1 mile me hole :rolleyes:) and I can't be wasting energy today that I will need more then.
    So - got back to the level ground, stretched for a minute and reset the watch. I've about 10k to go to get home - first half will be 6.00s, second half will be 5.30s.
    Things went more or less according to plan from there. It was still a bit too fast - 5.53 followed by 5.15 pace - and too short, because I had to get home, but not completely stupid. I know I'll still regret it on Saturday :o

kmtd: 129.46 + 138.37

Bit of a mess of a run today :rolleyes:
    Left work and started running along the marathon route through Clonskeagh... first km 5.47, second 5.31, running up the last bit of hill 5.18... good? No terrible:mad: I'm supposed to be running at 6.00 pace, this is supposed to be the PMP+20% bit of the run, and I'm supposed to speed up to PMP+10%/5.30 pace for the second half. More importantly, Saturday is the most terrifying run in the P&D schedule, 18 miles with 14@PMP (3 x 1 mile me hole :rolleyes:) and I can't be wasting energy today that I will need more then.
    So - got back to the level ground, stretched for a minute and reset the watch. I've about 10k to go to get home - first half will be 6.00s, second half will be 5.30s.
    Things went more or less according to plan from there. It was still a bit too fast - 5.53 followed by 5.15 pace - and too short, because I had to get home, but not completely stupid. I know I'll still regret it on Saturday :o

kmtd: 129.46 + 138.37

18 with 14? C'mon Ray Man Up!

The toughest run for me in P&D was the last 6 miles of the 16 mile LSR the day after 10k race effort!

18 with 14? C'mon Ray Man Up!

The toughest run for me in P&D was the last 6 miles of the 16 mile LSR the day after 10k race effort!

haven't done that one yet :)

But all the other runs you can make excuses for or write off somehow - marathon pace is marathon pace, and if that run goes badly, how will you do twice the distance in the real thing?:eek:

Recovery run into work, 8.58 km in 51.52, 6.02 pace

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|107.13
    June|90.2|64.85pacman.gif
    July|118.1|126.92
    August|124.4|168
    September|154|171.75
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|[83|
    Total|1012.2|

A good month's running. Decent distance covered, hit my half marathon target, and got my sub 20 5k. Next month - a not-stupid 10k time and sub 3.30 marathon. Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Planning on trying to do 4 miles slow and 12 miles PMP tomorrow but not sure if legs too tired yet. But surely the half marathon run counts as PMP too?

Faster than PMP actually, 7.30 miles rather than 8s. But its easier to go fast in a race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And running on your own for 18 miles is a bit boring after awhile.

Only so long you can talk to yourself before to get bored :D

• Advertisement

The more the merrier!
    As long as none of you contradict me :mad::mad::mad:

Ever considered politics? :P Gaddaffi had a good thing going there for a while, I could see you filling his shoes quite nicely.

Where are you doing your 18 with 14?

Where are you doing your 18 with 14?

Tymon - it's about 2 miles to the park (Phoenix is 3), which works out nicely. When I'm trying to stick to a certain pace, and it's at all fast, I'd rather run in a park than deal with concrete pavements and roads.

haven't done that one yet :)

But all the other runs you can make excuses for or write off somehow - marathon pace is marathon pace, and if that run goes badly, how will you do twice the distance in the real thing?:eek:

For Cork I found the 16 with 10 a struggle and ran at that pace on the day no problem, Meno and Brian did the 18 with 14 together in the park last year (I think) and they found it a tough run, on the day after taper it'll be effortless at least for 22 miles. Trust in P&D!

Tymon - it's about 2 miles to the park (Phoenix is 3), which works out nicely. When I'm trying to stick to a certain pace, and it's at all fast, I'd rather run in a park than deal with concrete pavements and roads.

I was going to suggest the Phoenix Park, I would change my session to suit yours if you'd run 10 secs per mile faster?, then you'd have company for the tough bits.

I was going to suggest the Phoenix Park, I would change my session to suit yours if you'd run 10 secs per mile faster?, then you'd have company for the tough bits.

yeah... but it's three miles up and three back (plus the descent down to the river and climb up again). It can be hard sometimes to get an uninterrupted run outside the park. I don't mind that when I'm running easy but if I'm trying to hit a target pace and I get stuck at traffic lights :rolleyes: either I stop the garmin and I'm getting a rest, or I leave it run and I'm going faster to bring the pace back down. First world problems :)

Anyway, I though you were running Sunday?

yeah... but it's three miles up and three back (plus the descent down to the river and climb up again). It can be hard sometimes to get an uninterrupted run outside the park. I don't mind that when I'm running easy but if I'm trying to hit a target pace and I get stuck at traffic lights :rolleyes: either I stop the garmin and I'm getting a rest, or I leave it run and I'm going faster to bring the pace back down. First world problems :)

Anyway, I though you were running Sunday?

I am, I thought you were on Sunday's this weather.

Try not to over analyse Ray, it's all time on your feet :P

Usually, yes, but the sprog is running cross country in Phoenix Park on Sunday (Woddle's sprogette too, I think) so I have to move back to Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Usually, yes, but the sprog is running cross country in Phoenix Park on Sunday (Woddle's sprogette too, I think) so I have to move back to Saturday.

She sure is I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm also on the Saturdays now. Best of luck with the session, it'll be a great confidence boost for you, not that you need one.

Woddle wrote: »
    She sure is I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm also on the Saturdays now. Best of luck with the session, it'll be a great confidence boost for you, not that you need one.

With a 19.39 5k, 7:55's will feel like walking!

• Advertisement

yeah - for the first few miles!

Advertisement