Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pretty good, yeah. Not as tired as I felt last week, no serious twinges - should be fine by race day. 3.30 will still be a stretch, but I'll give it a shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Pretty good, yeah. Not as tired as I felt last week, no serious twinges - should be fine by race day. 3.30 will still be a stretch, but I'll give it a shot...

with your 5k time you should be a shoe in. I ran 10 seconds slower than you in Rathfarnham last year and was definitely in shape for 3:30 If only I had believed. Remember the first 6 miles are a bit uphill so stick with it even if it feels a bit fast. the course gets very easy after 6 miles.

The 5k time is an outlier though, a lot of the training I do is geared for that kind of race. As the distances go up, my times get weaker. I'm not a minute per mile faster this year over 10 miles or the half marathon, but I'm aiming to be more than a minute a mile faster in the marathon :rolleyes:
    On the other hand, I think the half marathon and the PMP run suggest I can make it through Clonskeagh on pace, so maybe I can finish on fumes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I reckon you're a dead cert for it too, only question is, by how much.

The 5k time is an outlier though, a lot of the training I do is geared for that kind of race. As the distances go up, my times get weaker. I'm not a minute per mile faster this year over 10 miles or the half marathon, but I'm aiming to be more than a minute a mile faster in the marathon :rolleyes:
    On the other hand, I think the half marathon and the PMP run suggest I can make it through Clonskeagh on pace, so maybe I can finish on fumes :pac:

Your Half Mara time is well within any calculators boundaries for a 3:30 mara ray. Didn't you run 1:35:xx?
    Again much better than me, my Half mara time was 1:37:xx last year.

• Advertisement

That's still plenty good for sub 3:30 ray. Running a 1:45 half mara should feel very easy. If you make 20 miles at target pace its just a case of HTFU. You know yourself, once you get over roebuck hill it's pretty easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I love roebuck castle hill as nice drop after it, its bloody UCD on the rte side that killed me the last time!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's the drag coming down to the RDS that kills me. Hate it there.

8.56k in 50.24 (5.52 pace)

easy run into work

kmtd: 212.21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It won't be a stretch! Plus you'll be blessed with my company for the first while, you can't pay for that kind of positivity!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It won't be a stretch! Plus you'll be blessed with my company for the first while, you can't pay for that kind of positivity!

Hmm, maybe there's some space left in the 3.15 group :p

Hmm, maybe there's some space left in the 3.15 group :p

Given your HM time you should be able to get to about 16miles at that pace, by which time you'll have 10 minutes banked for the last 10 miles. Surely you could jog home the last 10 at 9 min/mile? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Given your HM time you should be able to get to about 16miles at that pace, by which time you'll have 10 minutes banked for the last 10 miles. Surely you could jog home the last 10 at 9 min/mile? :D;)

That's pretty much what the 2 of us did in Berlin :), only slightly faster.

Hmmm, not really as planned today. Was running up to meet the gang in the park and realised I was going to be late, so ran 4k at faster than PMP
    6.22k in 32.31 (5.14 pace)

Then set off with the gang, much too fast really (especially for the novices who were keeping up with us) pace around 5.30-5.40/km. After 8/9k I realised I was going to end up running too far and too fast if I stuck with the group, so split off along Lords Walk and started heading for home. I slowed down to around 6min/k, but when I met the gang again on the Kyber road they were still going strong.
    16.82k in 1.38.43 (5.52 pace)

An upside-down run then, starting fast and getting gradually slower -not because I had to, but I was trying to keep a rein on things.

kmtd: 235.25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Very sensible man, you need to bottle that freshness and goodness for race day and not be stupid and leave it out on a training run, good call.

8.7k in 52.16 (6.01 pace)

Didn't feel great running, but it did take an effort to keep the pace down - tat 52 minutes includes a couple of minutes taking a photo of a car swept into the Dodder, splashing through a 6 inch deep puddle by the river, and various other diversions.

kmtd: 243.95

5.36 miles in 51.58 (9.41 pace)

Another easy run, had to keep pushing the pace back down. I was going to do a few strides along by the river, but I had a bit of pain in my hip just before I got there. It eased off as I kept running, so I'm choosing to interpret it as a sign that my muscles are loosening up :pac:

kmtd: 252.45

Another easy run, had to keep pushing the pace back down. I was going to do a few strides along by the river, but I had a bit of pain in my hip just before I got there. It eased off as I kept running, so I'm choosing to interpret it as a sign that my muscles are loosening up :pac:

kmtd: 252.45

Taper's workin for you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

8.7k in 52.16 (6.01 pace)
    Preparation obviously includes the old 'switch back to miles, it's shorter' routine:D

• Advertisement

slowsteady wrote: »
    Preparation obviously includes the old 'switch back to miles, it's shorter' routine:D

Switch back to miles - there are markers at every mile on the route :)
    Changed the units and laps to miles on the Garmin, and changed the second page to display current lap pace, last lap time, and current lap distance. (First page has time, average pace, distance)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Are you planning to track the 3:30 pacers or go with the Garmin and your own strategy?

slowsteady wrote: »
    Are you planning to track the 3:30 pacers or go with the Garmin and your own strategy?

Start with the 3.30 pacers. When I get to Phoenix Park I might speed up a little - a few seconds a mile - just to get ahead of the pace group. It depends on how I feel, and whether I like running in the group. If I stay with the group then, I might push on at Fosters Avenue instead.

Start with the 3.30 pacers. When I get to Phoenix Park I might speed up a little - a few seconds a mile - just to get ahead of the pace group. It depends on how I feel, and whether I like running in the group. If I stay with the group then, I might push on at Fosters Avenue instead.

You're making the break with me then?

god forbid :pac:
    When are you pushing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

When are you pushing on?

Will ye cross the line holding hands?

Will ye cross the line holding hands?

elbowing each other in the face (though he has an advantage there) and looking out for Digger sneaking up behind :)

When are you pushing on?

As soon as we hit the downhills in the park!;)

As soon as we hit the downhills in the park!;)

But that's my spot :eek:

• Advertisement

But that's my spot :eek:

Sorry, I called it first!

Advertisement