Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    pfft, what does he know?

Which one P or D? This is the run I tried without any gels having starved myself the night before, tough would be an understatement.

Have you any interest in this 5k in Celbridge on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Have you any interest in this 5k in Celbridge on Sunday?

One of the reasons I'm not going to run a marathon next year is so I can go, "oh, a 5k next week? why the hell not?"
    Not this year though :)

Tonight's club session was boot-camp-with-extra-running, 10 minutes fartlek, 10 minutes running between sit-up/squat/press-up/star jump stations, then running with a medicine ball, jumping over low hurdles (really low hurdles, 8 inches and 12 inches) finishing with a fast 300m lap. Was going well until the jumping bit - when trying to run over the larger hurdles I landed hard on my right leg and jarred it, and that was me done for the night. :(
    Tomorrow's planned recovery run is scratched too, but I'm hoping to be okay by Thursday...

kmtd: 64.94

9.29 km in 62.28 (6.43 pace)

Extremely slow run home. Legs were tired and sore - it was as if all the other muscles in my legs had compensated for my hip yesterday, and were paying for it today.

kmtd: 74.23

8.51 km in 54.53 (6.23 pace)

The usual recovery-pace run into work.

kmtd: 82.74

• Advertisement

20.38 km

10k up and around Tymon, in 56.51 (5.40 pace). Then stopped the watch, stretched a bit, and reset it, before running the route in reverse 10.35km in 55.46 (5.24 pace).

Didn't feel like a great run, to be honest. My hip was still bothering me, I felt pretty dehydrated, and since the run I've been tired...

kmtd: 103.12

8.76 km @ 6.00 pace

Easy run home from work. Need to increase the distances again, so adding an easy Monday run.

kmtd: 111.88

9.03 km

Club session - 2x20 minute runs, 4.24k on the first run, 4.14k on the second, 4.47 and 4.50 pace.

kmtd: 120.91

8.6 km in 51.37 (6.00 pace)

Easy run into work

kmtd: 128.51

8.79 km in 50.11 (5.43 pace)

And an easy run home from work - didn't take the detour along the marathon route today, just keeping the legs ticking over before Saturday.

kmtd: 137.3

• Advertisement

10 miles in 73.51 (5.43 pace) restarted the Garmin by accident after the race :rolleyes:

The target for today was 74 - on track for 3.30, and under the 75 minute target from the start of the year. The plan though, was to run faster than that in the first half of the race and try to hang on. Met up with Ger at the start, and he was going for 72, so decided to follow him. We were both weaving through other runners anyway, so it made sense to follow him through the gaps, and since the first mile was really slow (7.36) it was easier to let him decide how fast to make up the time :D
    Stayed pretty close behind him until we met Woddle, around 4 miles in, but then he started to open up a gap. I found the 6th and 7th miles pretty hard anyway (7.38 and 7.31 pace), between the slight uphill and just getting tired. managed to pick up a little on the downhill miles 8 and 9 (7.22 and 7.20), but at this stage I was getting passed out by more people than I was catching. Last mile was full of mental arithmetic as I tried to work out if I'd make it under 74. In the end I scraped under.

Met the brother afterwards, he finished in 57 :eek: , putting him in the top 50 overall. I'm resigned to being the slow one :)

Plus a mile cooldown afterwards, getting me to Ryans early :)

kmtd: 155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Good running Ray. The second 5 were alot tougher. 1:36 for the half?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

good pace in Ryans too :pac:

good pace in Ryans too :pac:

had to drink up and get home before the adrenaline ran out completely and the tiredness caught up with me. It was a close thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the race, that was a great time.

9.08 in 1.08

Super-slow recovery run, up to Tymon and around. Did what it says on the tin.

kmtd: 164.08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done yesterday.
    That's two good races in a row now under the belt (mile), so it appears you've got your mojo back :D

Another easy run, home from work. Left calf was pretty tight at the start, but was running very easily at the end. Stopped the garmin at a traffic light though and forgot to restart it :rolleyes:

kmtd: 172.08

Club session - 10 x 400s (90 second recovery and a 3 minute recovery halfway through), warmup and cooldown

Started off legs feeling quite tight and I stuck to 5k pace. After halfway the legs were a bit looser, the competitive streak came out, and I got a bit faster...
    1.39 (4.03 pace)
    1.39 (4.03)
    1.36 (3.56)
    1.38 (4.01)
    1.40 (3.59)
    1.38 (3.54)
    1.36 (3.55)
    1.31 (3.40)
    1.33 (3.45)
    1.32 (3.43)

kmtd: 179.07

Recovery run back into work. Was taking ages to get a Garmin signal this morning, so I just switched it off:eek: Its not like I need to find out how far it is in to work, or exactly how not-fast I was running.

kmtd: 187.07

• Advertisement

16.19 in 96.41 (5.58 pace)

GA run home from work. Garmin took ages to get a signal again so I started without it, means the pace is a bit off. I do need to start running these easy runs a bit faster, they're too close to 6.00 pace, which is PMP+20%. At least I'm building up the distance.

kmtd: 203.26

8.58 in 55.03 (6.25 pace)

Recovery run back in to work. Calves are still a bit tight and sore, they haven't had a chance to recover completely from the race, but tomorrow is a much-needed rest day (before 20 miles on Sunday:eek:)

kmtd: 211.84

32.53 in 3.18.07 (6.05 pace)

Longest run since the marathon, finishing my highest mileage week ever, about 50 miles. Pace was nothing to right home about, but I was happy to keep the pace steady throughout. legs were fine, but my back was getting pretty stiff, and my feet were quite sore at one point (about 25k in, so to be expected really). Next week will be tougher, think it's 18 miles with 12 at pace...

kmtd: 244.37

8.84 in 54.12 (6.08 pace)

Easy run home from work. Legs felt fine today, but the fatigue was there when I started running.

kmtd: 253.21

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

You're doing serious mileage at the mo......
    I don't know how you have the time and/or inclination!

Being let out for a three hour run on Sunday is the main challenge - four runs a week are either into or out of work (though one of those runs I take a 10 mile route), the other is the club session on Tuesday.
    Next year, no runs longer than 90 minutes/10 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

RayCun wrote: »
    Being let out for a three hour run on Sunday is the main challenge - four runs a week are either into or out of work (though one of those runs I take a 10 mile route), the other is the club session on Tuesday.
    Next year, no runs longer than 90 minutes/10 miles.

He has a very super wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi Ray;

Know how you feel about the long runs. Switching my long runs to a Sat morniing now at 7am, just so i can spend more time with my wife and kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

He has a very super wife!

Nice one Ray- see that you promptly agreed

• Advertisement

Club session -
    warmup km
    10 x 230m with 100m recovery
    break of a few minutes, then another
    10 x 230m with 100m recovery
    cooldown km

Took things reasonably easy - calves tight again, and hip was giving me a bit of trouble in the first set of ten. Did some stretching during the break and felt better during the second set, but didn't push it (until the last rep where I sprinted in to stop someone lapping me :)) Broke out the foam roller for a while when I got home, for the first time in ages...

kmtd: 261.71

Advertisement