Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead Episode Discussion - SPOILERS ABOUND!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Lebus

Just started 2 watch the walking dead and y didnt any1 tell me about it earlier now i gotta go out & get the box set;)
    Gotta say it rocks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lebus wrote: »
    Just started 2 watch the walking dead and y didnt any1 tell me about it earlier now i gotta go out & get the box set;)
    Gotta say it rocks:D

It comes on on blu ray next month in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    QUOTE=DakotaYoda;71431125]I would suggest the crossbow is a great weapon for how they were surviving. They tried to attract as little attention as possible. Guns make noise. Crossbows don't.

In actuality they are quite noisy yokes.While not as noisy as a gun,they do make an audible KA SPROING! sound and have more serious drawbacks,one being its ammo,namely the bolts.Any slight bend or kink in the vanes or the shaft and they will go anywhere ,but the target.They are virtually impossible to hand make as they are so High low tech with modern components.Not to mind a silenced .22 pistol would be more effective and efficent and manouverable for those quiet moments:pac:

As for the military hardware - he ran back into the city to get the bag of guns as they really didn't have much for other firearms and the CDC hardware was quite a ways down the road... and how long had that stuff been sitting out and how many of the group had any training or knowledge for how to use the stuff? I'll admit it did seem odd to see all the gear about. But I can sure understand how/why they weren't using it.

Its odd,considering that this in the USA,and there is over est 300 million plus firearms of all types,you would think a basic bit of rummaging or looting of a gunshop or house would sort out a lot of these problems.TBH milspec hardware is well capable of taking more abuse that would leave civvie spec stuff choking junk.Estimating since the outbreak of 3to 4 months from the story line,depending on the time of year[looks likeSpring/ Summer] the stuff would still be very serviceable.Maybe a bit surface rusty,but nothing serious. You would have to leave it exposed for about two years before things started breaking down.

Lets see two deputies from a Sherriffs dept,where the M16 is pretty much a standard weapon in SWAT/LE circles..Most of the US LEO pouplation has previous military experiance in some shape or form ,and would be checked out on the M16 and other weaponary.......:) Nor is it a very difficult gun to operate or service,as is most of the military hardware worldwide that goes bang,and is used by the average ground pounder.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

As Grizzly has pointed out the US has an abundance of weaponry available to the civi population.

Also in my experience anyone that has ever played a video game or watched an action film is familiar with the operation of a weapon. Weapons are also made to be intuitive. People know the trigger makes the gun go boom. People know which end the bullets come out. People also know that when you pick up a pistol you cock the top slide!

Some experimentation will mean that magazine release and safety catches will become evident. So most people should be able to effectively point and shoot a weapon in mere minutes. Obviously understanding the weapon mechanism and stripping down and cleaning will not be immediately obvious without instruction. So theres no reason that all survivors should not be seriously tooled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Bringing this thread back so we don't have to all use the spoiler tags to discuss the show - the thread title spells it out so spoil away my lovelies... :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is it just me, or are they getting dumber and dumber?

Also, I think watching the teaser ruined the whole episode for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Tallon wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are they getting dumber and dumber?

Also, I think watching the teaser ruined the whole episode for me :(

They, as in the characters? Or the writers?

And yeah, watching the teaser gave away a lot about the opener, but myself, I didn't feel like it ruined anything. I loved watching it unfold, seeing the panic and the fear, and how they looked out for each other - especially Daryl with T-Dog; I really thought for sure T-Dog was going to die.

The characters... It boils my blood when I see people being so stupid in emergency situations

The characters... It boils my blood when I see people being so stupid in emergency situations

Ah, yeah...I can think of a few instances where some of them were surprisingly stupid. The biggest one in my mind was Andrea in the camper with the gun. Nevermind that she was making a mess of putting the gun back together and making noise in doing so - the fact alone that she would have used the gun made me question how smart she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Ah, yeah...I can think of a few instances where some of them were surprisingly stupid. The biggest one in my mind was Andrea in the camper with the gun. Nevermind that she was making a mess of putting the gun back together and making noise in doing so - the fact alone that she would have used the gun made me question how smart she is.

I was wondering wtf she was doing in the camper while everyone else was out DOING something productive for the group - unless she was that bent of offing herself.

• Advertisement

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    I was wondering wtf she was doing in the camper while everyone else was out DOING something productive for the group - unless she was that bent of offing herself.

Right? She was very uppity and had the worst attitude about everything. And I get part of it - I get what she said to Dale, and understand and agree with how she feels about having that choice taken away from her - but it felt to me like her attitude was extreme.

I'm glad they wouldn't let her have her gun back though - and I'm thinking Dale's reasoning wasn't so much just that he was afraid she'd kill herself, but that he was afraid she'd get the rest of them killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone else thInk T-dog's wound looked fatal and was then quickly forgotten about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One part that was a bit stupid was the horde coming on them,
    they're looking down the road with binoculars, yeah it's all clear... wait no there's millions of them everywhere.
    The wide camera pan just made it look worse as it makes it look like they would have been clearly visible the whole time.

Maybe Americans really are that blinkered and dozy. It happens a lot in American cinema.

silvine wrote: »
    Anyone else thInk T-dog's wound looked fatal and was then quickly forgotten about?
    At one stage he passed out pretty much from the loss... Then he was covered with a zombie?!!

Surely his blood mixed?

ScumLord wrote: »
    they're looking down the road with binoculars, yeah it's all clear... wait no there's millions of them everywhere.
    The wide camera pan just made it look worse as it makes it look like they would have been clearly visible the whole time.

Maybe Americans really are that blinkered and dozy. It happens a lot in American cinema.
    They would have fúcking drove past them!

Also, why did they try hide? wtf. Get in a car or something

There weren't millions of them...they called it a herd, which I took to mean - and saw - as a smaller bunch of Walkers, as opposed to how many they had seen together in Atlanta.

And I can't speak for most American's, but I'm certainly not blinkered or dozy. :p
    At one stage he passed out pretty much from the loss... Then he was covered with a zombie?!!

Surely his blood mixed?

I thought the same thing! I mean, smart thinking of Daryl, but T-Dog obviously had an open wound and he throws the zombie on him? So I expected there to be some discussion on how he could be infected - but nothing. Hell, he was up and walking around as if it were just a nick and he'd not lost any blood.
    They would have fúcking drove past them!

Also, why did they try hide? wtf. Get in a car or something

Not necessarily. Who knows where the herd came from? They could have come out of the woods on either side of the road, or off any number of access roads off the highway, so they'd not have seen them when driving by.

I don't think hiding under the cars was a bad idea, but I certainly think T-Dog should have gotten into a car rather than try to hide beside one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

*Covers eyes*

Gonna watch it now, hoping it is awesome. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I loved it! Just watched it a second time as last nights link wasn't great quality.

There is progression in the characters as well as weariness and exhaustion. Darly helped T-dog out, I thought the dead would have been a bit runny. Andrea killed a walker in a grizly way, I'm looking forward to when Carol kills one. She went a bit wacko when making sure Eddie could not resurrect.

The end was a surpise.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I really liked it. It shows how fear can make you stupid. How the trained are far more collected then the untrained. Lessons to be learnt friends.

I don't think I'll watch anymore and then have a walking Dead feast in a few weeks :D.

There weren't millions of them...they called it a herd, which I took to mean - and saw - as a smaller bunch of Walkers, as opposed to how many they had seen together in Atlanta.
    Millions was an exaggeration but they where looking off into the distance for zombies, then one comes around a corner and you think, ok their on their way they should start getting to go, but then the camera pans back and shows a massive horde right beside them, there was no way it could stay hidden up to that point. Watch it again, the zombies appear right beside them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭OutsiderAkuma

I really liked it. It shows how fear can make you stupid. How the trained are far more collected then the untrained. Lessons to be learnt friends.

I don't think I'll watch anymore and then have a walking Dead feast in a few weeks :D.

You see, I would love to leave it a few weeks, come back to it and watch them all, cept I'm already craving the next one, plus I work as a tattoo apprentice/artist and so far everyday I've been tattooing people have been talking about it constantly! I wouldnt be able to tattoo someone, have them give me spoilers and ruin the show on me-I would end up wrecking there tattoo as vengeance lol but Mickey, I admire your patience!

You think you can resist not watching? I'm not so sure... :p
    Millions was an exaggeration but they where looking off into the distance for zombies, then one comes around a corner and you think, ok their on their way they should start getting to go, but then the camera pans back and shows a massive horde right beside them, there was no way it could stay hidden up to that point. Watch it again, the zombies appear right beside them.

Just re-watched that scene.

Saw what you meant about panning out to show how many there were, and you're right, they were almost right on top of them up to that point. I paused it when it panned out, and the majority of the herd is crossing the grassy median between the two lanes, so it looks like they came out of the woods on the opposite side of the highway, so it's plausible that the herd was out of sight to them until that moment - just chance that they happened to cross paths with them.

If you watch Dale though, he was on top of the camper with the binoculars, but he had his back to the direction they'd just come from - probably thinking stupidly that that direction was safest since they'd just traveled it - and was looking out in the direction where their people were scavenging. Only when he finally turned around to look behind them did he see the walkers; so ideally in a situation like that, two lookouts is best so you can have both directions covered.

It is curious though as to why the walkers are moving. It seemed like the ones in Rick's hometown stayed local, and there were even a few in Atlanta that just sort of sat down or laid down until food came by. So why are they now on the move and where are they going to?

I think the height of the trucks/cars/baggage helped to shield the approaching herd. Some of them could have been flaking out in the wreckage and shuffled up when they heard the survivors approaching.

What are the zombies senses like? I get that their sight is not great but it seemed that their sense of smell was heightenned (sp) when the glen and the sheriff were rained on while wearing Zombie disguise.

What is their hearing like and how tactile are they.

So why are they now on the move and where are they going to?

Hunger I imagine. I think they mostly flake out during the day whiles its warm. I don't think they can regulate body temperature.

I wonder what kind of climate is best for dealing with zombies?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Hunger I imagine. I think they mostly flake out during the day whiles its warm. I don't think they can regulate body temperature.

I wonder what kind of climate is best for dealing with zombies?

With no blood circulation I'd imagine Arctic cold wouldn't do much for them/

See, that's another thing - it has seemed like they are more active at night, they've shown that, they've talked about that, so what were they doing up walking during the day like that? I think what you said about hunger could be spot on in regards to that. The thing I question is, why do they not just wander aimlessly about? Is there a reason they're moving in a herd, or is it coincidental? (I'm probably over thinking this :o)

They probably follow the path of least resistance except for when they get a whiff of the living.

That post mortem scene was gack.

Really a moving horde wouldn't last long, all the zombies would be grinding their joints to dust and most would end up having to drag themselves around only speeding up the weathering process. The secret to a zombies longevity would be immobility until something passes near. If they're more or less immune to bacterial decomposition they could survive a long time by not moving until their prey is near by. Whether they'd have the ware withal to take advantage of that is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Well in the comics, hordes came about when zombies got interested in something (like a gunshot) and started heading in that direction. Other zombies also then followed, thinking they were going to feed.

• Advertisement

It could be that the zombies where immobile and basically just stood up when they heard the group working. It would explain why they where so close before anyone noticed I guess.

Advertisement