Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead Episode Discussion - SPOILERS ABOUND!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Given the bodies, locked away zombies and the military presence I'd say the hospital was on the go well into the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Im just going to come out and say it.

But I was excited and expected a lot from that director of green mile and shawshank but I watched the first episode and it was awful it was really bad.

expected the show to be amazing but its not.

now highschool of the dead is pure zombie baby oh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

I like the cinematography, the story is a bit weak and has been done more than once, you can almost tell the movies they "borrowed" ideas from.

g'wan then ;)

bar 28 days later..

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ShadowGal wrote: »
    g'wan then ;)

bar 28 days later..

Locked in a shop, using a truck to escape = Dawn of the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Well - why don't ya throw the A-Team on there as well then. They used escape trucks all the time:) I don't see much borrowing from anything really, I guess.

Last night's was the best yet - lots of good character development. Things between Shane and Rick are gonna start hitting some bumpy spots methinks though Shane can be commended for how he interacts with Carl.

This is far less about the zombies than about the people involved, which I like.

Back into town to get the guns... and find a bloody hand on a roof. Good stuff.

• Advertisement

very good, im trying to think of some and i cant

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    Well - why don't ya throw the A-Team on there as well then. They used escape trucks all the time:) I don't see much borrowing from anything really, I guess.

Last night's was the best yet - lots of good character development. Things between Shane and Rick are gonna start hitting some bumpy spots methinks though Shane can be commended for how he interacts with Carl.

This is far less about the zombies than about the people involved, which I like.

Back into town to get the guns... and find a bloody hand on a roof. Good stuff.

Are you somehow involved in the making of it?, Mr "it's the greatest Zombie show ever" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Just watching episode 3 now.I got the comics from a friends of mine so I'll catch up on those soon enough.

I would just like to say; I want to marry this show.it's AWESOME!!

and the fact that he's such a good mix of tactical sense and empathetic personality really appeals to me, the car alarm scenario was one of the cleverest things I've ever seen in a zombie flick and was a nice touch for the characters

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Meh, I can see where this series is going, it's not going to be the zombie storey I was waiting for but I'll stick with it, my expectations have fallen through the floor now though.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Meh, I can see where this series is going, it's not going to be the zombie storey I was waiting for but I'll stick with it, my expectations have fallen through the floor now though.

i was expecting a lot more zombie action myself, but tbh im loving the way the story is going, that its mostly dealing with survival skills at the mo and really going into the characters. I can see how maybe some zombie fans would be a bit disappointed in the lack of Z's but so far i love it. this may change in the future but hope not :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

In relation to the first episode, Rick was in the hospital in a coma for whatever period of time, and during that period of time the entire hospital was trashed by zombies, people were killed and the remaining zombies were eventually all locked in a room.
    During this whole time not one zombie managed to go into Rick's room and kill him? To those of you who read the comics, do they ever explain this? Or are we to just assume he got lucky?

i was expecting a lot more zombie action myself, but tbh im loving the way the story is going, that its mostly dealing with survival skills at the mo and really going into the characters. I can see how maybe some zombie fans would be a bit disappointed in the lack of Z's but so far i love it. this may change in the future but hope not :-)
    I'm not looking for a gore fest, the characters are very one dimensional they're just your standard zombie film set of reused characters.

Much is dismissed into Hollywood la la land. One thing that made me laugh in the first episode was when they pick up the serif on the radio and call over his friend because he knows how to use the radio, he picks up the talky thing and says hello into it which turns out to be the limits of his expertise.

It's just not pulling me in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

What channels is this on?
    What times?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 42 daravinny

1st episode = 28 days later
    2nd episode = dawn of the dead
    3rd episode = Saw

great show though. that bit where he rode the horse into the zombies was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 0utcast

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    So - how come Rick didn't have nasty crap all over him when he wakes up? Did he have a catheter in or something? Not trying to be gross - just something I noticed.

I also wonder how long it had been since the outbreak - how long had he been laying there w/ no food or water.

And I LOVE this show - not baggin' on it. Just things I notice while watching.

2 things in answer to this:
    1. When you're in a coma, you don't have bowel movements, eg no crappy stuff.
    2. He was in a coma, so he wasn't eating, which means that there was nothing to digest and excrete.
    Hope this helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I've been wondering..noone has yet once asked "WTF happened?" havn't had a reason given as to why the place is a Z-Fest.

How long was he in a coma? In that space of time his missus had managed to jump in the sack with his partner (unless something was majorly up and he was knocking the hoop off her before!?)? The group which she then joined seem fairly well established (the impression is given that they had been in and out of the city a few times).

Any military action against the Zs had long since ceased, fires were out, survivors had long since fled the city.

Bodys are in a bad state of decay (shot gun suicide vic'sobviously had enough time to spiral into such a mind set over the state of the world that they topped themselves).

Would of like to of seen a descent into hell type of build up ala 28 days later through newsflashes.

All in all though still hugely happy with series. Liking the style of zombie, walkers but agile enough to stumble over things and seem to have above basic motor functions (using rocks to break windows and picking up teddies).

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I've been wondering..noone has yet once asked "WTF happened?" havn't had a reason given as to why the place is a Z-Fest.

How long was he in a coma? In that space of time his missus had managed to jump in the sack with his partner (unless something was majorly up and he was knocking the hoop off her before!?)? The group which she then joined seem fairly well established (the impression is given that they had been in and out of the city a few times).

Any military action against the Zs had long since ceased, fires were out, survivors had long since fled the city.

Bodys are in a bad state of decay (shot gun suicide vic'sobviously had enough time to spiral into such a mind set over the state of the world that they topped themselves).

Would of like to of seen a descent into hell type of build up ala 28 days later through newsflashes.

All in all though still hugely happy with series. Liking the style of zombie, walkers but agile enough to stumble over things and seem to have above basic motor functions (using rocks to break windows and picking up teddies).

i kind of like doing a bit of guessing myself, as to how it happened etc. i really would like to know how long he was out for though. As far as i can remember his partner told his wife he was dead, she seemed well pissed off with him for lying. Thats another story that will take form soon i think.

My one problem so far is, well its all just a bit bright. its kind of got the setting of sweet valley high or something. id like a few more gritty night scenes, bit o rain.. i know in reality there are bright sunny days (even during a zombie outbreak ;-) but im having a harder and harder time taking it seriously because all the scenes are just so bubblegum bright.
    im still watching though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I don't mind zombies using things so much in Walking Dead. Drove me nuts in some "x of the Dead" movies (the guns were just too far, I mean come on, what's the difference then?), but in this it comes across more of leftover habitual behaviour rather than an actual leftover personality thing, if that makes sense?

You know how we have those things we just do without even noticing we're doing it? Little things that are so ingrained into ourselves we don't notice we do it til someone else points it out? I figure it's that. Those things don't require thought, really, they're instinctual to us after a certain point. I like the idea that they retain instincts, it would be too much of a stretch for me if they retained personalities-- again, if they have personalities, and guns, what's the difference between them and us? There isn't one, so it wouldn't be fun anymore.

If the show stays true enough to the comics (it's branched out a bit and changed some minor things, but so far hasn't left anything major out and the plot is still pretty much the same afaik) then we're in for some very interesting viewing. A lot of things in the comics would be firsts for a TV show if they do decide to air them, some absolutely brutal, heartbreaking stuff coming up, with some very, very unexpected character deaths that you wouldn't see very often, if at all, on television.

As for the hospital debate, I think it's reasonable to assume he was in there for at least a month or two, given that:

-there was enough for a day or two on his IV
    -the human body can last roughly a week and a half without water
    -there was an extended fight/hold out at the hospital (theoretically could have lasted a few weeks), demonstrated by the chains on the doors with zombies locked up, etc
    -someone had taken care of him and barricaded him in
    -the army had taken part in assistance/defense for that hospital

..so I don't really see it as an issue. Of course, a lot of this is assumption, but we don't HAVE to know every single detail as to how it happened, it's enough that it's possible for me. Then again I'm not the kind of person who demands literally every single thing happen on-screen for reference purposes only.

Yeah really liked the retention of instinctual reactions and primitive responses. They can be fooled, as opposed to omniscient evil dead things! Which implies a certain cognitive process, however basic. It gives them a certain edge.

RE: Severe (fatal at upper limit) Dehydration after 3-5 days max. + 2 days on fluids. Taking into account weakened state after being shot + shock. He cant of been there very long. But yet everything else seems to of decomposed a lot for a max 7 day period. Pedantic..much. Annoy..lots.

My one problem so far is, well its all just a bit bright. its kind of got the setting of sweet valley high or something. id like a few more gritty night scenes, bit o rain.. i know in reality there are bright sunny days (even during a zombie outbreak ;-) but im having a harder and harder time taking it seriously because all the scenes are just so bubblegum bright.
    im still watching though :)
    I like the idea of setting it that way, the way TV shows are made these days in general they create an atmosphere with the way it's lit and the way people act.
    Giving it the look and feel of a drama your mind will be in neighbours mode watching it which should make the sight of zombies more unsettling. I'm not to impressed with the over all feel of the show at the moment there's just something not quite right about but it may be one of those things that has to grow on you.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I like the idea of setting it that way, the way TV shows are made these days in general they create an atmosphere with the way it's lit and the way people act.
    Giving it the look and feel of a drama your mind will be in neighbours mode watching it which should make the sight of zombies more unsettling. I'm not to impressed with the over all feel of the show at the moment there's just something not quite right about but it may be one of those things that has to grow on you.

suppose it just takes a bit of getting used to, im so used to night time gritty zombie movies. the people are reacting a little funny when they spot the Z's, id be running for the high hills and they seem to take a little longer to react. its defo a grower though. im interested in what happens so thats good

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Im up to episode 5 with thanks to the inter web amazing viewing. Ive read all the comics and i was so excited that they decided to make a tv series. They have gone off track a tad from the comics but i think the additions are great.

They never go back to why he survived in the hospital but in the first episode of the tv series Morgan says its been going on for more than a month so id say he was there without anyone looking after him for about a week.

Im pretty sure the reason its so bright is because its summer time in Atlanta:D.

Anyone else up to episode 5?

I just saw it yesterday.

as for the weather it's late summer in the show, if it links back to the comics at all, it'll be a winter scenario very soon.

They show the hospital as empty[apart from that one door] and the surrounding area is zed free,so it could just be luck that he survived and the last of the hospital crew may have drawn the zeds away from the hospital.

ladypip wrote: »
    Im up to episode 5 with thanks to the inter web amazing viewing. Ive read all the comics and i was so excited that they decided to make a tv series. They have gone off track a tad from the comics but i think the additions are great.

They never go back to why he survived in the hospital but in the first episode of the tv series Morgan says its been going on for more than a month so id say he was there without anyone looking after him for about a week.

Im pretty sure the reason its so bright is because its summer time in Atlanta:D.

Anyone else up to episode 5?

im up to 5, and i have to say no 5 was fantastic, i loved it anyways ! havent read the comics so its all new to me, i think it was a bit of a slow burner up to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I didnt think it was slow burning although i was just so excited and the effects are excellent i prob just got caught up in that.

The CDC part was never in the comics so im looking forward to where this goes.

Its a pity there's only going to be six episodes of this series, and the next season isnt out until late next year because they have to wait until summer to shoot again :(

IT WHAT!?

I thought it was tendered for a 13 episode mini-series? It's just breaking into it's stride as well, it'll be terrible if they postpone it now

Why was it not on FX last night!? Please tell me that it was just my Sky box actin up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is it not out on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was signed for 6 episodes and 6 were made, so the first season is only gonna be 6 episodes long.
    It was renewed for a second season right after the first episode aired though.

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Why was it not on FX last night!? Please tell me that it was just my Sky box actin up!
    Tallon wrote: »
    Is it not out on Sundays?

On Fridays at 10 and 11 pm, repeated on Sundays at 9PM.

Advertisement