Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead Episode Discussion - SPOILERS ABOUND!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Good Question, but the Mearle<sp?> the Redneck with the Rifle was on the Roof So if the Chopper had been real then surely he would have seen it too.

maybe thats what he started shooting at you would not put in past him
    :P

Could have been brillant TV
    cast -> terrible
    Acting -> terrible
    Story line -> started good, went down hill show by show
    last two shows where crap first two where brillant I think.
    I like the way they are all breaking down mentally bit like a factory I worked in before.

I hate most of the cast especially the old guy and the japanese guy.

There's hope yet for season 2
    they should just kill the whole cast of at start of next show in a zombie ambush or better yet just put a note up at start saying they are zed meat
    Then have a spin-off show with Daryl and merle against the zeds.
    I think Daryl actually enjoys life after Z-day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Jenner whispering "you're a zombie" sounds waaay more interesting than "your missus has one in the oven". Please don't let this series turn into some soap muck that just happens to have a few zombies in it.
    It'd be nice if Rick was some sort of carrier, i.e. since he was half dead when the disease broke out (maybe secretly bitten or an infected transfusion?) then it didn't kill him... but when he dies he goes zombie.
    Why would Jenner be doing pregnancy tests on them as a matter of interest???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

He took all their blood

Tallon wrote: »
    He took all their blood
    Er, yes, to test if they were infected...
    Does the virus diagnostic double as a pregnancy test kit? :-)

Do you know how precnancy test are performed? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

well there would be Rather Specific Markers in the Womans blood (HCG) which would indicate to anyone trained in that sort of thing whether or not she was Preggers
    :p
    http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/blood-test.html

Tallon wrote: »
    Do you know how precnancy test are performed? :rolleyes:
    Er, 99% of the time they are a urine test, which Jenner didn't do! Of course you can test for pregnancy from blood, but that doesn't answer the question why he's specifically do that test when he's planning on killing the lot of them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Guys it's clear, the scientiest was a vampire, and hungry. Duhhh :cool:

Jenner would by Default try to Test for everything, if She had something different to the others in her blood then the computer would flag it.
    However seeing as the CDC was not part of the original comic series its hard to know where the writewrs are going with this

If a doctor is running a diagnostic for a specific virus they do not automatically "test for everything". HCG would require a separate test that would be quite odd to set up just in case they were pregnant which is something he would have no reason to care about. It is unlikely Jenner had antibodies available for the virus, so would most likely use a PCR method which wouldn't test for a single other thing except presence or absence of virus.

• Advertisement

Ah but, Jenner had at his disposal;
    the CDC Mainframe computer, a machine capable of runin every test known to man on a sample group of 10,000 people in less than 24 hours, a Dozen vagrants wouldnt have even taxed tha RAM capacity of the machine, they werent in the local hospital in Kentucky, they were at the nerve centre, the pinnacle if you will, of modern medical science, the machine Tests for EVERYTHING, its the only way.
    Do you not watch House?????

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

If he was some sort of a carrier, I don't think that Jenner would have been so calm about it after getting them all to do a blood test.

If there was a hint that we had the disease in him he would have probably locked him up or whatever he would do to one or he would have told another member of the crew, he wouldn't have told Rick of all people that he is a carrier.

I would have to imagine that it is the pregnancy theory. Seems the most likely, especially seeing as Lori and Shane had a thing before Rick got back.

AndyKiely wrote: »
    If he was some sort of a carrier, I don't think that Jenner would have been so calm about it after getting them all to do a blood test.

If there was a hint that we had the disease in him he would have probably locked him up or whatever he would do to one or he would have told another member of the crew, he wouldn't have told Rick of all people that he is a carrier.
    You do have to remember he was planning on incinerating them all anyway and had pretty much given up on finding a cure...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You do have to remember he was planning on incinerating them all anyway and had pretty much given up on finding a cure...

That's true. I don't get what the point would be of just telling the carrier though. Surely he would have told the people that would have been in danger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Someone's got aids/STI

It'd be an interesting twist,seeing how it'd work out in a zombified world.

I seriously doubt the "he's a carrier" thing.So far the show has been quite logical[ignoring the zombies obviously] I think the viral immunity thing is a bit too clichéd and to scifi. Also,Jenner said they don't know if its bacterial or viral or what causes it[Which is Bullsh!t] how could the CDC not know what caused it,if anyone would know it'd be them.

I seriously doubt the "he's a carrier" thing.So far the show has been quite logical[ignoring the zombies obviously] I think the viral immunity thing is a bit too clichéd and to scifi. Also,Jenner said they don't know if its bacterial or viral or what causes it[Which is Bullsh!t] how could the CDC not know what caused it,if anyone would know it'd be them.
    How can they do a blood test for something when they don't know the cause?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Epic show - they better bring back rooker man is badass.

Otherwise epicness, really cant fault it I will actually watch the episodes again and maybe again on dvd to tide me over until season 2 as SGU was cancelled.

The zombies run on instinct - climbing to get to food is an instinct, cracking the glass open with a rock is an instinct.

Hell even using a gun I couldnt fault really, desperation is the mother of all innovation (obv adapted the phrase) so it wouldnt be crazy to allow the zombies to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

As far as I see it, the walking dead are the survivors themselves, not the zombies. I think the comic gave the impression that the virus has infected everyone, including Rick and his group, and it's not until they die that the infection takes over the brain and they return as undead. Having the virus doesn't kill them, but being bitten causes major infection leading to high fever and eventual death. So I think that Jenner tells Rick that either Lori is pregnant, or that the virus is present in all their blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Unless they spin off wildly form he comic plot she is defiantly pregnant, i like the idea that Jenner tells him they are all infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

...I think the comic gave the impression that the virus has infected everyone, including Rick and his group, and it's not until they die that the infection takes over ...

OH that would be a cool twist. So everyone is a walking time bomb? Imagine being on the inside of some compund / defence position, and then one or more of your buddies dies? Now the Z's are on the inside!!

Great show.... when is the 2nd season being shown on this side of the world?

• Advertisement

October

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Apparently, many of the cast are killed off for the new season, which is quite refreshing imho, and Merle is not the Governor, as previously suggested - http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=31175 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Sweet catch luketitz - I had not seen any of that news. Thanks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

July premier
    hope its true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Watched the whole lot online.Just hope season 2 is alot better.There are major clangers all over each episode.Technical errors,tactical errors,basic common sense errors,and just downright unbeliveable errors.

The best had to be the end ,blowing up the CDC..Fuel air bombs that concentrate only in a building ,where Time seems to warp so everyone can get out???:rolleyes:. A fuel air bomb is the most powerful NON nucelar bomb on the planet,but acts exactly like a nuke bar the fallout.
    Going by where they were parked in their vechicles and where the old guy and the suicidal blonde[forgot their forgettable names] jumped behind the sand bags,about as much protection at that distance as holding up a white sheet at a nuke ground Zero... those cars and trucks would have been blown at least 100 meters down the road,and everyone would be suffering ruptured lungs and ear drums from blast overpressure.

Killing Zs with a crossbow,and the countryside is littered with military grade hardware??Driving POS vechicles with issues and there are abandoned milspec Humvees all over the place???:rolleyes:

Ok giving leeway for artistic liscense,I still feel this could be improved on
    100% Is the comic book any better??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A fuel air bomb is the most powerful NON nucelar bomb on the planet,but acts exactly like a nuke bar the fallout.
    That would depend entirely on how big the bomb is, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fuel-Air Explosives [FAE] disperse an aerosol cloud of fuel which is ignited by an embedded detonator to produce an explosion. The rapidly expanding wave front due to overpressure flattens all objects within close proximity of the epicenter of the aerosol fuel cloud, and produces debilitating damage well beyond the flattened area. The main destructive force of FAE is high overpressure, useful against soft targets such as minefields, armored vehicles, aircraft parked in the open, and bunkers.

Payload or actual physical size??Well watch the last ten mins of Outbreak
    That gives you a good impression of the size of one of these things
    [In actuality they modelled it in outbreak on a Daisy cutter bomb,that is not a fuel air bomb,but is used like one]

So going by the above description it might have been great to flatten the CDC,but it would have been useless to destroy all those other nasty diseases the doc was on about.Taking into account CDC Atlanta is just not one entire building,but a complex of buildings.It would have to be a very big bomb or multiple bombs in the other buildings as well.Were this the case in real life,why not simply put a sub atomic demolition munition [SADAM:cool:] or suitcase bomb in the building and be assured of the job with a few million degrees farenheit in a microsecond? They are alot easier to hide and could have been rigged into that crazy final solution security system.
    Either ,or, the survivors of that explosion would be in a world of serious hurt.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Lebus

Goodoak wrote: »
    No she woke up in the bedroom of a large house that had been constructed underground by the umbrella corp.
    The house wasnt underground it was the entrance 2 the hive & Alice woke up on the floor of the shower i think,also think Alice woke up in the second movie in a medical facility. If im wrong pls xcuse me but i dont think i am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Killing Zs with a crossbow,and the countryside is littered with military grade hardware??Driving POS vechicles with issues and there are abandoned milspec Humvees all over the place???:rolleyes:

This annoyed me too, he was willing to go back into an infested city and run through a mob of Z's, yet on the way to the CDC they casually stroll through a blockade with an abundance of military equipment lying around!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

BigDuffman wrote: »
    This annoyed me too, he was willing to go back into an infested city and run through a mob of Z's, yet on the way to the CDC they casually stroll through a blockade with an abundance of military equipment lying around!!

I would suggest the crossbow is a great weapon for how they were surviving. They tried to attract as little attention as possible. Guns make noise. Crossbows don't.

As for the military hardware - he ran back into the city to get the bag of guns as they really didn't have much for other firearms and the CDC hardware was quite a ways down the road... and how long had that stuff been sitting out and how many of the group had any training or knowledge for how to use the stuff? I'll admit it did seem odd to see all the gear about. But I can sure understand how/why they weren't using it.

Advertisement