Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 9: The Christ-It's-Sunday-And-There's-No-Thread Edition

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Matthews for DPOY, it has to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 37,762 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

spiralism wrote: »
    Jerod Mayo will have 192 tackles for the season if he continues at his current rate. That would be an NFL record by some distance. If he gets up to 190 and doesn't win the DPOY I'll be disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

spiralism wrote: »

He'll have more trouble getting that Gatorade out of his hair than he did running through Dallas' line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The funny thing is Ray Lewis is one of the safest hard hitting linebackers in the league. In fact he is evidence against guys like James Harrison who say that nothing should change. Comparing both players and how they break down into a tackle and you can see the big difference. It has never stopped guys like Lewis and Willis hit hard and make their hits spectacular. Any player who defends leading with the head should be thrown out of the league.
    +1

Look at Lewis' tackle on Sproles last year. One of the best tackles I've ever seen. Wraps his arms around him, and Sproles, while stopped dead in his tracks, gets up and walks away.

Tonight, Collie wasn't tackled, he was simply ploughed into with Mikell's shoulder/helmet. It's ridiculous to say it's a clean tackle, when that same tackle could have been made without knocking the receiver out.

Watch it again -- there is clear intent to hurt Collie in that play. I don't want to watch a game where forced fumbles occur because the guy was knocked out, Colts player or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

davyjose wrote: »
    +1

Look at Lewis' tackle on Sproles last year. One of the best tackles I've ever seen. Wraps his arms around him, and Sproles, while stopped dead in his tracks, gets up and walks away.

Tonight, Collie wasn't tackled, he was simply ploughed into with Mikell's shoulder/helmet. It's ridiculous to say it's a clean tackle, when that same tackle could have been made without knocking the receiver out.

Watch it again -- there is clear intent to hurt Collie in that play. I don't want to watch a game where forced fumbles occur because the guy was knocked out, Colts player or not.

First hit was definitely not helmet-to-helmet, and by the rules it was a clean hit. It was the actually pretty innoxious hit - relatively speaking - lightly with the helmet from behind after the damage was already done that drew the penalty, for hitting a defenseless player, if I recall correctly.

We can argue about how great one guy is at tackling, but as it stands the hit that did the damage is and in all likelyhood will remain completely legal as long as the black holes that must never meet that are helmets don't skid off each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,762 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is Ray Lewis last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is Ray Lewis last year.

In fairness, i'd say Lewis would admit he meant that.

Generally he makes BIG hits, without leaving guys passed out on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

That only looked worse because his helmet popped off. Ocho had been asking for a hit like that though. That is the game where he sent the Ravens D a gift basket of rightgaurd products cos they "stink".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

evil_seed wrote: »
    That only looked worse because his helmet popped off. Ocho had been asking for a hit like that though. That is the game where he sent the Ravens D a gift basket of rightgaurd products cos they "stink".

You just reminded me of one of the many reasons why I love Ocho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

davyjose wrote: »
    In fairness, i'd say Lewis would admit he meant that.

Generally he makes BIG hits, without leaving guys passed out on the floor.

Ray Lewis did admit it and even had a good laugh with Ocho after it. It was a cheap shot and every body knew it including Ocho and Lewis. Wrong of him to do it as he lead by his head but Lewis is one of the safest hard hitters 99% of the time.

Oh and a side note if NFL WR and DBs use both straps to hold their helmets on they would be flying off all of the time. Bugs me that they only close one of them. There are others who loosen both of them also just to show the refs their helmets are "on" properly.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jerod Mayo will have 192 tackles for the season if he continues at his current rate. That would be an NFL record by some distance. If he gets up to 190 and doesn't win the DPOY I'll be disgusted.

192.... that's phenomenal. that wont set a record though, the record is in the 200s

Also, Ray Lewis had 184 in 97, no certainty mayo beats that.

Clay is on pace for 22 sacks this year as well as last nights TD and the DPOY vote will generally lean towards sacks as they are the flashy stat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Speaking of players on course to break records, Philip Rivers is on course to smash Dan Marino's passing yards in a season record, and that's been with an abundance of injuries and suspensions/holdouts to his receivers.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Speaking of players on course to break records, Philip Rivers is on course to smash Dan Marino's passing yards in a season record, and that's been with an abundance of injuries and suspensions/holdouts to his receivers.

He should be MVP, he's (unfortunately for us) absolutely unreal. On pace to break that record, along with, somewhat amazingly, orton for us lol... i dont think either will get it though, rivers will fall just shy of 5000 and orton will end up around the 4400/4800 mark by the looks of things... Brees should also run it close and get around 4700/4800

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

YYEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!

Raider_Nation.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Frisbee wrote: »
    YYEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!

Raider_Nation.jpg
    Oh Yeah!!!!!! Brilliant!!! Awful game from a neutral standpoint, and the penalties nearly killed us but who cares?? We won!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Oh Yeah!!!!!! Brilliant!!! Awful game from a neutral standpoint, and the penalties nearly killed us but who cares?? We won!!!

Looking forward to watching this game later though. The Raiders are really stringing it together and are(cant believe I'm saying this!) playing great football as a team. There doesnt seem to be any primadonnas and they are all playing together.

Want to watch the Browns Pats game as well, great to see McCoy starting his pro career so strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

2614abec94054a8cb59214ed1340072a--nfl_medium_540_360.jpgcc706c9562e044d988c4254e62f43151--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg
    _hr33499--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg_hr33552--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg_hr33210--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg21571ed72d3844ffabcf3089884013e6--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg_x9e7400a--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The cowboys have entered a new level of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

TO enters the 150 club;

NOt a bad game; Cincy took ages to get going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

gerire wrote: »
    TO enters the 150 club;

NOt a bad game; Cincy took ages to get going

Yep, they left way too much to do going into the last quarter 20 down.

I think TO may have a career in mime when he is finished:D

gerire wrote: »
    Cincy took ages to get going

That's been the story of their season hasnt it? Nearly every game I see of theirs they are chasing it late on

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

frostie500 wrote: »
    Looking forward to watching this game later though. The Raiders are really stringing it together and are(cant believe I'm saying this!) playing great football as a team. There doesnt seem to be any primadonnas and they are all playing together.
    And as much as I hate to say this, they are gonna need all the luck in two weeks, going to Heinz Field to take on the Steelers. That one's gonna get ugly.

And as much as I hate to say this, they are gonna need all the luck in two weeks, going to Heinz Field to take on the Steelers. That one's gonna get ugly.

Worked out well last year so you never know... good luck, would much rather see the raiders win the div than the chargers... also, madden's record of 5 division titles on the spin is one that deserves to stand alone

Advertisement