Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital USB 2.0 DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner Recorder & Receiver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bk109

Thanks,do-more for ^!It would appear that my English and 2AM don't really mix :D (That,or I should really stop spending so much time in IRC).
    @Anti-Rip
    From what I know,WMC checks all DVB-T frequencies so it should get both multiplexes when it is scanning for new channels with the added 'surprise' that every couple of days it does additional scanning on its own.(Took me awhile to realize it's doing that,but seeing it blink at 4AM on its own is at least a bit ... odd/creepy)

@lindtee
    Still,you might get lucky with the box(provided you manage to get the card running) if the NVIDIA driver(the proprietary driver,not nouveau) is installed and PureVideoHD is working as it's supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

can anyone recommend the best one of these to get

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Del007 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend the best one of these to get

cheers
    Cost wise I found these to be the cheapest at around €7,... they have the Afatech AF9015 chipset,..depending on your location the supplied mini antenna may not pull in the channels so to use a bigger antenna you'll need a coax cable adaptor as the connection on these are micro type,....I have one working fine on my linux based dreambox800 tuned into the saorview channels,....as for known brands like hauppage your looking at €40 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

lensman wrote: »
    Cost wise I found these to be the cheapest at around €7,... they have the Afatech AF9015 chipset,..depending on your location the supplied mini antenna may not pull in the channels so to use a bigger antenna you'll need a coax cable adaptor as the connection on these are micro type,....I have one working fine on my linux based dreambox800 tuned into the saorview channels,....as for known brands like hauppage your looking at €40 upwards.

As I posted above AF9015 is working here too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

pissed wrote: »
    Ordered on the 1st and still no sign of it, emailed the seller and no reply either. Zero items listed for sale ....... looks like he done a runner.

Did... not done.

• Advertisement

Errr,cost-wise, these are slightly better,not that 1 Euro is really much of a difference ;) . Either way,I can confirm that the model lensman (btw - AF9015)linked works surprisingly well for its price in the sense that the TV quality is great and they won't crap out on you in 2 months (at least based on my experiences with the 2 units I have on my computer).
    Ah,just a quick tip - If you're planning to use the tuner with Windows, don't bother with the bundled software and drivers and just use the ones auto-detected by the OS and Windows Media Center (provided you're running Win Vista Home Premium/Ultimate or 7 Home Premium/Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate) for tuning and DVR purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I'm having problems registering this on my laptop.
    I used to use it no problem on a netbook all the time but i no longer have that machine.
    I'm repeatedly getting the registration dialog box (saying the code may be counterfeit- i gather this is because it was registered on another machine before).
    Anyone ever have this problem and know how to fix it.

I've contacted blazevideo but no response yet.
    euonline seller is no longer an ebay member so can't contact them.
    Any ideas?

Well,if you have one of the aforementioned Win7/Vista versions on your laptop, just fire up WMC and just follow the prompts... And btw,I did get the 'code may be counterfeit' error when I tried to use my BlazeVideo code for the first (and only attempt to install it)
    Edit: I checked through my stuff and found the 2 Blazevideo discs I have,so I'll PM you,take everything, both serials as I don't have any intention on using them

I'm having problems registering this on my laptop.
    I used to use it no problem on a netbook all the time but i no longer have that machine.
    I'm repeatedly getting the registration dialog box (saying the code may be counterfeit- i gather this is because it was registered on another machine before).
    Anyone ever have this problem and know how to fix it.

I've contacted blazevideo but no response yet.
    euonline seller is no longer an ebay member so can't contact them.
    Any ideas?
    yeah, most of these dvb-t sticks from china come with either Blazevideo or Arcsoft software,..you dont need them to use the stick,..let windows install it's own driver & as bk109 says use windows media centre as your application software.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Thanks lads (especially bk109 for those).
    So i tried it with WMC on Windows7 (after installing the blaze drivers (but not the software) because it wouldn't seem to work otherwise).
    Thought i was home and dried when it scanned the channels in and everything (getting the blue light etc).
    Now it's telling me i've no signal.
    The thing is i've usually gotten a signal here when it worked for me before (especially when i attach it to metal eg a radiator). Dunno why it's acting the prick now.
    Any ideas.

• Advertisement

Well,aside from rebooting (which fixed that issue several times for me),the only other thing could be a broken cable/connector,but its somewhat unlikely for that to happen just as you switched to WMC.

I had the same problem using the supplied mini aerial,..1 minuite it had a signal the next nothing,..a 4ft aerial on the roof did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Guys what software do you use with this stick.
    I was thinking of getting the other, does the number of stations depend on what software you use ?

Guys what software do you use with this stick.
    I was thinking of getting the other, does the number of stations depend on what software you use ?
    I'm using WMC and no,the number of channels doesn't depend on the software, but on the signal you're getting... though with Saorview atm you should be getting the same channels regardless of where you are in Ireland (provided that area is receiving a clear DVB signal)

thanks how many stations are you getting ?

thanks how many stations are you getting ?
    36,however
    2 are essentially the same channel - RTE jr/RTE+1 (the difference is which EPG either is showing)
    6 'normal' TV channels - RTE1,RTE2(HD),3,TG4,e3,RTE News Now
    10 radio channels (All part of RTE)
    and the rest are 'Future Service' test channels that don't broadcast anything atm,so I've disabled them

bk109 wrote: »
    36,however
    2 are essentially the same channel - RTE jr/RTE+1 (the difference is which EPG either is showing)
    6 'normal' TV channels - RTE1,RTE2(HD),3,TG4,e3,RTE News Now
    10 radio channels (All part of RTE)
    and the rest are 'Future Service' test channels that don't broadcast anything atm,so I've disabled them

Does using thin stuff add to ones internet usage ?

Does using thin stuff add to ones internet usage ?

The what now?

The what now?

sorry i meant does using the usb tuner add to internet usage ?

sorry i meant does using the usb tuner add to internet usage ?
    Ahhh... Well,it can be used with an internet connection to download an EPG a couple of times a week,but that's not required + the traffic increase if you download the 2 weeks EPG is negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

sorry to jump on board chaps but what does the forum think about the DVB-T Receiver usb dongle http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DVB-T-Receiver-USB-Dongle-Digital-TV-Your-Computer-/220655857733?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item33601d3045

Just after coming across it on ebay but dont know anything about it. Is it any good or are there better alternatives out there?

halfback5 wrote: »
    sorry to jump on board chaps but what does the forum think about the DVB-T Receiver usb dongle http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DVB-T-Receiver-USB-Dongle-Digital-TV-Your-Computer-/220655857733?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item33601d3045

Just after coming across it on ebay but dont know anything about it. Is it any good or are there better alternatives out there?
    Well,you might want to check out several alternatives that we've linked through the posts in this thread,because 50€ for a single tuner-stick is somewhat... much ;) (To put it in perspective,the ones I've been using were <10€ in total and have served me well for 9 months now )

Well,you might want to check out several alternatives that we've linked through the posts in this thread,because 50€ for a single tuner-stick is somewhat... much ;) (To put it in perspective,the ones I've been using were <10€ in total and have served me well for 9 months now )
    very good thanks very much for your reply, what one do you use?

halfback5 wrote: »
    very good thanks very much for your reply, what one do you use?
    I'm using two of these with Win Media Center (plus 2 DVB-S tuners from a similar site). Hrrm,the price seems to be slightly bigger,or I might've used a discount code or something... I might check later my old paypal receipts to see which :)

I'm using two of these with Win Media Center (plus 2 DVB-S tuners from a similar site). Hrrm,the price seems to be slightly bigger,or I might've used a discount code or something... I might check later my old paypal receipts to see which :)
    cheers for that mate.

I'm from galway(county) just wondering what the signal is around here

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Picked up one of the usb tuners from buyincoins & is working great in wmc, Thanks for all the info & links :)
    Bk109 can you please let me know which site you got the DVB-S tuners from if you dont mind??

spuddy01 wrote: »
    Picked up one of the usb tuners from buyincoins & is working great in wmc, Thanks for all the info & links :)
    Bk109 can you please let me know which site you got the DVB-S tuners from if you dont mind??

Sure,no prblemo. I have a mis-matched pair of DVB-S' from dealextreme
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dvb-s-digital-tv-hdtv-usb-2-0-box-tuner-with-remote-controller-28533

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dm04-dvb-s-usb-2-0-mcpc-scpc-digital-satellite-tv-tuner-box-with-slim-ir-remote-100-240v-ac-15820

Haven't had real issues with them aside from the fact,that the bloody power-supplies were with the EU-plug,not the British one ... Still,for this amount of money,I can't really complain I guess,especially as this setup allows me to enjoy TV without getting into a full-blown war for the remote for the living room telly :D ...
    Edit: And yes,kids,it works perfectly with WMC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Have you tried installing the driver directly from the folder in the cd as opposed to using the autorun instalation?

When I used the autorun instal it told me it had been correctly installed but it actually had not. When I ran it straight from the cd it did install correctly and works perfectly now.
    Got mine today and had troubles with it. Followed this advice and after a restart it all worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sure,no prblemo. I have a mis-matched pair of DVB-S' from dealextreme
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dvb-s-digital-tv-hdtv-usb-2-0-box-tuner-with-remote-controller-28533

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dm04-dvb-s-usb-2-0-mcpc-scpc-digital-satellite-tv-tuner-box-with-slim-ir-remote-100-240v-ac-15820

Haven't had real issues with them aside from the fact,that the bloody power-supplies were with the EU-plug,not the British one ... Still,for this amount of money,I can't really complain I guess,especially as this setup allows me to enjoy TV without getting into a full-blown war for the remote for the living room telly :D ...
    Edit: And yes,kids,it works perfectly with WMC ;)

Is there any difference between the performance of those two units?
    Just wondering if you had a preference ..... or if one was inclined to get hotter than the other ..... or anything at all noticeable.

I guess each would need an LNB of its own so as not to interfere with other users.
    Is the LNB Loop through of any use to you?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Got mine today .very happy with it.

Advertisement