Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital USB 2.0 DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner Recorder & Receiver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Just use vlc if you are experiencing lag on RTE2HD.

In vlc select media -> open capture device

For capture mode select dvb directshow

select dvb-t

Set Transponder/multiplex frequency - three rock is 738000khz
    Other frequencies here
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes

Set Bandwidth - undefined

click play

To change a channel select playback -> programme

You can save your channels as a playlist so you won't have to go through the procedure again

Thanks to whoever posted this info earlier in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For those using Linux and who had an unsupported tuner as I previously posted I had, the good news is that the latest kernel has the drivers.
    So if you had this situation previously
    af9015: tuner id:179 not supported, please report!
    usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9015

using the new kernel gets everything working.
    Both Kaffeine and VLC do it justice. (I have not tried the remote control as yet :D )

BTW .... has anyone come up with a nice means of cooling the unit?
    I took it apart today and the tuner chip is getting extremely hot ..... am considering some form of cooling ....... might even put the unit inside my PC - open - and near a fan.

Would like to hear of any other means of cooling it that might have been devised.

regards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For those using Linux and who had an unsupported tuner as I previously posted I had, the good news is that the latest kernel has the drivers.

Would like to hear of any other means of cooling it that might have been devised.
    in 10.10 or do you have to have the the pre-release of 11.4 ?

cat /etc/issue Ubuntu 10.10
    uname -r
    2.6.32-26 (am downloading 2.6.32-28)

superglue some copper foil to the chip - don't let it touch any of the circuitry
    acetone / nail varnish remover will remove the super glue

in 10.10 or do you have to have the the pre-release of 11.4 ?

cat /etc/issue Ubuntu 10.10
    uname -r
    2.6.32-26 (am downloading 2.6.32-28)

superglue some copper foil to the chip - don't let it touch any of the circuitry
    acetone / nail varnish remover will remove the super glue

Sorry the 2.6.37 kernel is the one with the tuner drivers I needed.
    I don't use Ububtu so I have no idea what kernels they make available to users.
    Maybe they issue a patch for their older kernels?

I am a bit hesitant to use foil TBH ...... but maybe I will be able to cut a small piece of an old heatsink and use that ..... cutting a hole in the case.
    I tried putting the PCB in the air flow of an intake fan, but it seems to need physical contact to dissipate the heat.
    I will have a look tomorrow at what small heatsinks I might have in a drawer and see if I could do something with one of them.

regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

some software might do better job at hd playback

Not sure if its possible, but can you record rte 2 and playback with vlc? might get better results

The result is the same, not even VLC can handle the HD.

Anybody knows of a method to make RTE 2 HD playable as the RTE 2 Temporary will close soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Got my stick from eunion4u today, great little gizmo, scanned stations and picked up sound but no audio (windows 7 media center), downloaded ffdshow and switched usb ports and its perfect! Thanks to all who posted recommendations here!

Just re: Blaze software, something I did wiped the installation cd, I went to the blaze website and downloaded the program but the serial number on my cd sleeve doesnt seem to work on the registration page. What might I be doing wrong? I dont think I need it but its just annoying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭foggers

Will the mini aerial be good enough with this? I am hoping to pick the saorview signal from around the Laois / Carlow border. Is there a chance I'll need to erect a TV aerial. I believe it's a UHF one I need but if I do which of the follwoing tv aerials would suit me best?

Does anyone have experience of the usb tuner in this region that can give me any user feedback on this?

m4r10 wrote: »
    The result is the same, not even VLC can handle the HD.

Anybody knows of a method to make RTE 2 HD playable as the RTE 2 Temporary will close soon?

Its not the software that has the problem from what I have seen ..... it is the hardware not being man enough for the job.

I have the same problem here with a desktop ..... just not good enough to handle the HD stream 'on the fly'.

Its not the software that has the problem from what I have seen ..... it is the hardware not being man enough for the job.

I have the same problem here with a desktop ..... just not good enough to handle the HD stream 'on the fly'.

I know that the laptop is not up to scratch for HD, I was hoping for a method to downsize the HD content of RTE2 to make it watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

RTE2 is also broadcast in SD as far as I know on test channel

From 3 Rock anyway, my sony tv picks it up as 576i SD

from saorview website,
    Test (was RTE NL HD format Test loop now temp RTE2 till 18th April)

Yes, at the moment RTE2 can be viewed in standard definition on the test channel, but from April the test channel will close and let me without RTE2. I'm trying to see what my options are until that date (forking out for a new laptop is not on the cards unfortunately).

I know that the laptop is not up to scratch for HD, I was hoping for a method to downsize the HD content of RTE2 to make it watchable.

....... which would require processing power ....... which apparently is lacking.

My PC is quite capable of displaying HD content ....... but not capable of dealing with the HD signal 'on the fly'. The PC is just not good enough to do it and it seems you have the same problem.

Without some new hardware I do not see any way out of this.

regards.

That's what I was afraid of. It seems I'll have to learn to live without RTE2 for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

For anyone that has a Dreambox 800. I managed to get this working through one of the usb ports. Picks up all the Irish channels perfectly. Using the Dream Elite image. Bought my one from Ellieshang a few weeks ago. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bk109

RTE2 is transmitted in HD, your laptop (and the same is mine) is not up to par to play HD content.

Sorry to jump in,but it might be an issue with the codecs you're using? My Compaq is working good with RTE2(HD) with this cheap DVB-T stick and an integrated Radeon HD3200 Video with the CPU staying most of the time at 550Mhz(Cool'n'quiet enabled) while watching and recording in Windows 7's Media Center.
    Edit: The problem might be that your GPU isn't offloading the HD processing ? May I ask what are your basic specs - Video/Ram/Processor?

It would be nice to hear if anyone is able to use one of these dongles to view HD content while using a P4 CPU or older, regardless of ram or GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

If there's an iditot's guide to this someone might put it up...

It would be nice to hear if anyone is able to use one of these dongles to view HD content while using a P4 CPU or older, regardless of ram or GPU.

Well,I am using a Turion RM74 dual-core,but for most tasks I'm running it with the max cpu limit at 50%,so it should be equivalent(at least in this mode) to a P4. Still,what's your GPU and RAM,because if you can offload at least some of the decoding from the CPU you should be able to watch HD on-the-fly without a problem
    EDIT: I borrowed a Intel Atom-powered MSI Wind Netbook from a friend and again - RTE2 is running smoothly with the basic Win7 driver+ Media Center ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, finally managed to pick mine up from the post office today, but i'm not getting even a sniff of any signal at all in Navan. :(

tried a regular & advanced scan, but no joy.

steps to install were, assemble antenna, plug in usb, install drivers from CD (win7 x64), install BlazeTV from CD (which also re-installs the driver) and then did a channel scan choosing Ireland as my location, but its not finding anything.

maybe i'm just too far from the nearest antenna to get anything with the portable yoke. no fixed antenna on the roof tho, so not sure what to do about that.

ah well.

• Advertisement

usb-dvb-t-tv-receiver_01.jpg
    Well,if your antenna is similar to this one ^ you might be able to screw on one of those telescopic antennas from an old radio or tv?
    It should look somewhat like this -
    p0102110128.jpg

bk109 wrote: »
    Well,if your antenna is similar to this one ^ you might be able to screw on one of those telescopic antennas from an old radio or tv?
    It should look somewhat like this -
    yep, identical.

tried it at work today in cabinteely on an xp laptop and didn't have any luck there either, so maybe i'm doing something wrong, so i might have to go back through the thread and see if i missed something.

vibe666 wrote: »
    yep, identical.

tried it at work today in cabinteely on an xp laptop and didn't have any luck there either, so maybe i'm doing something wrong, so i might have to go back through the thread and see if i missed something.

That,or you've got a defective unit... I hope I'm wrong,but it's not exactly unheard-off when buying from chinese e-shops :((

Well,I am using a Turion RM74 dual-core,but for most tasks I'm running it with the max cpu limit at 50%,so it should be equivalent(at least in this mode) to a P4. Still,what's your GPU and RAM,because if you can offload at least some of the decoding from the CPU you should be able to watch HD on-the-fly without a problem
    EDIT: I borrowed a Intel Atom-powered MSI Wind Netbook from a friend and again - RTE2 is running smoothly with the basic Win7 driver+ Media Center ..

‎G71 [GeForce 7900 GT/GTO]
    4GB RAM

The problem seems to be the old CPU to me, which is what I had in mind when I wondered if anyone had succeeded in getting the HD running with the P4.

Thanks for the ideas.

vibe666 wrote: »
    yep, identical.

Try it somewhere that you have access to an external (rooftop) aerial for the connection .... it may be just the signal when testing.

‎G71 [GeForce 7900 GT/GTO]
    4GB RAM

The problem seems to be the old CPU to me, which is what I had in mind when I wondered if anyone had succeeded in getting the HD running with the P4.

Thanks for the ideas.

After a quick check - you should be able to offload HD processing to the GF,because you've got PureVideo, which is supported natively by Win7's WMC/WMP ,but it's also available in a way in VLC. Check if in the preferences the option to 'use gpu acceleration (experimental)' is enabled.

Try it somewhere that you have access to an external (rooftop) aerial for the connection .... it may be just the signal when testing.
    yeah, i'll have to give it a shot at the in-laws at the weekend as i know they have a signal (and a roof antenna) that works so i'll know for sure then one way or another.

tried WM7, BlazeTV & MediaPortal with the regular included antenna at various angles (and out of the window) but no joy.

I've actually bought two of them and it was the other one I tried in Cabinteely, so I'll see again tomorrow with MediaPortal etc. at work as I'll be on a different site around Blanch anyways.

fingers crossed. :)

After a quick check - you should be able to offload HD processing to the GF,because you've got PureVideo, which is supported natively by Win7's WMC/WMP ,but it's also available in a way in VLC. Check if in the preferences the option to 'use gpu acceleration (experimental)' is enabled.

I use VLC in Linux.

Yes I have tried with and without the GPU acceleration .... and also tried a 'overlay' option.
    Same result regardless of options unfortunately :(

I will give another hunt through the options .... a huge number of them ..... to see if I find anything else, but honestly doubt I will find something I haven't yet tried.

Thanks again.

regards.

I use VLC in Linux.

Yes I have tried with and without the GPU acceleration .... and also tried a 'overlay' option.
    Same result regardless of options unfortunately :(

I will give another hunt through the options .... a huge number of them ..... to see if I find anything else, but honestly doubt I will find something I haven't yet tried.

Thanks again.

regards.
    You might want check this thread out - http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53928
    I have to admit,I had forgotten that you were talking about VLC in Linux,so it was a bit more 'involved' than Windows (Though it's not as it used to be only 4-5 years ago).

Btw,I'd recommend trying out MythTV as a better alternative to VLC,because I've heard that it's a bit more efficient in processing HDTV live streams on the fly than VLC (maybe it's a better VDPAU implementation)

• Advertisement

still no signal, even in Blanch.

one more test at teh in-laws before i give them up as faulty. :(

If anyone is curious about whether or not they can get a DTT signal in their location, you can check out the reception reports on the http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/map by clicking on your nearest antenna(s) then 'show reports' and clicking on the little blue pin nearest to your location and hit the little + icon at the top to show the full report.

it looks like you can get a signal in navan from a roof antenna with a booster, but that it appears to be a very good signal once you've done that. http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/map.php?report=1079

the time has come to get rid of sky altogether so it's time to get a roof antenna methinks, even if it means getting a different USB stick. :)

any recommendations?

Advertisement