Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital USB 2.0 DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner Recorder & Receiver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Got one of these but
    The software key for the Blaze software keeps coming back saying the registration code has been used on multiple machines
    Doesn't pick up any stations using the supplied aerial, and it has a non standard aerial socket so can't use standard coax. Any adaptors out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

long_b wrote: »
    Got one of these but
    The software key for the Blaze software keeps coming back saying the registration code has been used on multiple machines
    Doesn't pick up any stations using the supplied aerial, and it has a non standard aerial socket so can't use standard coax. Any adaptors out there?
    afaik if you check a few pages back (possibly a couple of weeks at this stage) someone linked to coax adapters so you can hook it up to your roof or other external antenna.

vibe666 wrote: »
    afaik if you check a few pages back (possibly a couple of weeks at this stage) someone linked to coax adapters so you can hook it up to your roof or other external antenna.

I Thanks, found it and ordered one.

I Thanks, found it and ordered one.
    if anyone else needs one, check out this LINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm assuming the little red and green leds on the USB should be lighting, 'cause mine ain't doing diddley!

I'm also getting no signal, but I don't know if that's because of the USB, or because I've no signal!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Soarer wrote: »
    I'm assuming the little red and green leds on the USB should be lighting, 'cause mine ain't doing diddley!

I'm also getting no signal, but I don't know if that's because of the USB, or because I've no signal!:confused:

Only the red led ever lit on mine, and it's working fine. It doesn't come on when you insert it into your usb, only when it's running ( whether with windows media center, or blaize).

FINALLY got round to ordering two from an ebay seller called jenny.hot (ooh, saucy!:D) who had a couple of other bits & bobs i fancied, but i'm having trouble getting a combined total out of him/her at the moment due to ebay acting the maggot and not showing all my purchases in one lump and not letting me total up.

Fierce stuck getting this yoke to run in Ubuntu 10.10 and can't dig out the link mentioned earlier.
    Anyone know where the guide was please ?

Edit : Found it
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/saorview-dtt-linux

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fierce stuck getting this yoke to run in Ubuntu 10.10 and can't dig out the link mentioned earlier.
    Anyone know where the guide was please ?

Edit : Found it
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/saorview-dtt-linux

I hope you have better luck than I did ....... the unit I received has a different tuner chip although the device is the same, and this tuner is not supported yet in Linux.
    There is hope it will be supported in the 2.6.37 kernel ..... but not yet certain ....

regards.

I hope you have better luck than I did ....... the unit I received has a different tuner chip although the device is the same, and this tuner is not supported yet in Linux.
    There is hope it will be supported in the 2.6.37 kernel ..... but not yet certain ....

regards.

No joy - in fact, it's reminding me what a PITA Linux can be ... Apologies to all fanbois

Compatibility list
    http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It reminds me what a pain some manufacturers are when they include drivers for other OSs and not Linux.

It was not until I received the device that I could check for compatibility ....... a bit late then! There was no info about the tuner chip on any blurb I could find.

Anyway, for you info, if it is the unsupported tuner problem then the result of dmesg in a teminal immediately after plugging in the device might should something like the following.

If it is not a tuner problem then it is possible you need a firmware file.

regards.
    usb 1-2.4.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
    usb 1-2.4.1: New USB device found, idVendor=15a4, idProduct=9016
    usb 1-2.4.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    usb 1-2.4.1: Product: DVB-T 2
    usb 1-2.4.1: Manufacturer: Afatech
    usb 1-2.4.1: SerialNumber: 010101010600001
    Afatech DVB-T 2: Fixing fullspeed to highspeed interval: 10 -> 7
    input: Afatech DVB-T 2 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-2/1-2.4/1-2.4.1/1-2.4.1:1.1/input/input6
    generic-usb 0003:15A4:9016.0004: input,hidraw3: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [Afatech DVB-T 2] on usb-0000:00:1d.7-2.4.1/input1
    af9015: tuner id:179 not supported, please report!
    usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9015

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Did anyone get this working on a Mac?
    This would be legend to use when i'm over in the UK!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Got one of these a while ago and it wouldn't work with the supplied Ariel, so I ordered a adapter to allow standard coaxial ariels to be plugged into it. This doesn't seem to do anything either as I tried WMC 7, BLAZE, VLC and none pick up channels. The light doesn't work on the USB it seems, but I think its still working as its picked up by the PC in vlc player. Any other ideas? Can rabbit ears pick up the digital channels if I plug them into it? I'm in Kilkenny/Waterford area also.

Tinie wrote: »
    Got one of these a while ago and it wouldn't work with the supplied Ariel, so I ordered a adapter to allow standard coaxial ariels to be plugged into it. This doesn't seem to do anything either as I tried WMC 7, BLAZE, VLC and none pick up channels. The light doesn't work on the USB it seems, but I think its still working as its picked up by the PC in vlc player. Any other ideas? Can rabbit ears pick up the digital channels if I plug them into it? I'm in Kilkenny/Waterford area also.
    i'd assume so as my in-laws just got a new tv with a digital tuner and it picks up a signal with both their rabbit ears and roof antenna so i reckon the usb yoke should too but i guess it depends on how strong your local signal is. they're in kells and can get saorview & *almost* the UK freeview too on an older UK digital telly, but the picture keeps breaking up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

just received usb dongle from buyincoins.com very poor quality and does not work. I would avoid this seller. I bought one previous from elishang and worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chickalacka

DUAL FREEVIEW DIGTIAL TVTUNER USB DONGLE STICK RECEIVER

I got one of these on ebay from a seller called HSUUK, for £16 GBP including £4 postage. that was in an auction as there was no Buy it now! It's actually a Dual meaning two tuners so PIP. includes Arcsoft totalmedia 3.5. and it has a normal coax socket. little aerial works quite well for me, Picture is perfect. One really big plus is, recording in arcsoft is MPEG-2, so easy to edit out ads. It works well with Windows Media Center but recordings are*.wtv, which not even VLC plays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    just received usb dongle from buyincoins.com very poor quality and does not work. I would avoid this seller. I bought one previous from elishang and worked perfectly.
    which software did you try ?

I'm having problems too.
    This looks promising, will let ye know how I get on
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606487&page=19

[1985055.798307] af9015: tuner id:179 not supported, please report!
    [1985055.801908] Afatech DVB-T 2: Fixing fullspeed to highspeed interval: 10 -> 7
    [1985055.802382] input: Afatech DVB-T 2 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8.1/1-8.1:1.1/input/input17
    [1985055.802578] generic-usb 0003:15A4:9016.0009: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [Afatech DVB-T 2] on usb-0000:00:1d.7-8.1/input1

Re: Af9015
    You'll probably have exactly the same USB stick as I have. Tuner id 179 seems to be the TDA18218HK tuner IC (at least, that's what a visual inspection of the inner parts of my device told me), and currently, there is no driver support for it, as far as I know.

Datasheets for this IC can be found on the internet, it's an IC produced by NXP (a company of Philips)

>> >> The datasheet for the TDA18218 can be obtained from NXP:
    >> >> http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA18218HN.pdf

which software did you try ?

I'm having problems too.
    This looks promising, will let ye know how I get on
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606487&page=19

[1985055.798307] af9015: tuner id:179 not supported, please report!
    [1985055.801908] Afatech DVB-T 2: Fixing fullspeed to highspeed interval: 10 -> 7
    [1985055.802382] input: Afatech DVB-T 2 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8.1/1-8.1:1.1/input/input17
    [1985055.802578] generic-usb 0003:15A4:9016.0009: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [Afatech DVB-T 2] on usb-0000:00:1d.7-8.1/input1

Hi Lads
    yeah no joy dont know if its the wrong driver because I has used one previously and i even positioned the aerial and got a reception on the laptop i then connected the same dongle to the one in the desktop but no joy.:confused: I am using windows xp. When i tried to install using medialportal it was no seeing the device

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elsparko

anyone get this working with dvblink tvsource?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Hi Lads
    yeah no joy dont know if its the wrong driver because I has used one previously and i even positioned the aerial and got a reception on the laptop i then connected the same dongle to the one in the desktop but no joy.:confused: I am using windows xp. When i tried to install using medialportal it was no seeing the device

I bought mine from buyincoins and it works fine with the driver below for XP

http://www.mediafire.com/?l18uzukz84ed4db

• Advertisement

still waiting for mine to clear irish customs. :(

it arrived on thursday but they're still working their way through the xmas delays apparently (i called them) so it could be a few more days before they release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

vibe666 wrote: »
    still waiting for mine to clear irish customs. :(

it arrived on thursday but they're still working their way through the xmas delays apparently (i called them) so it could be a few more days before they release it.

Customs took it!!

Jeeeeeeeeeees!!

That sucks!

The novelty has gone off mine anyways!

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Customs took it!!

Jeeeeeeeeeees!!

That sucks!

The novelty has gone off mine anyways!
    i called them friday and they said they *might* get around to looking at it on monday or tuesday, but that if it was just something small it would likely get through without being taxed as they weren't all that interested in the little stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Got mine today.
    Great bit of kit for what it does (given that it was next to nothing).
    might come in handy if i'm stuck for telly somewhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gerfto

Hi,

This really is doing my head in!!!
    I bought one of these blaze hdtv mpeg 4 devices from ebay.
    I think ive installed it correctly.

However when i try to scan channels i get nothing back.
    I have signal strength 100, but quality is 0.

Im in Donabate, Is this a bad area for signal reception?
    I have a analogue tuner card and can pickup rte 1 and rte 2 fairly good.
    So i think signal shud be at least ok.

Is there anybody from north co dublin that has this and got it too work?

Please help!!

Cheers
    Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

gerfto wrote: »
    Hi,

This really is doing my head in!!!
    I bought one of these blaze hdtv mpeg 4 devices from ebay.
    I think ive installed it correctly.

However when i try to scan channels i get nothing back.
    I have signal strength 100, but quality is 0.

Im in Donabate, Is this a bad area for signal reception?
    I have a analogue tuner card and can pickup rte 1 and rte 2 fairly good.
    So i think signal shud be at least ok.

Is there anybody from north co dublin that has this and got it too work?

Please help!!

Cheers
    Ger

I'm in Raheny and get good signal with one of those Amplified One For All Indoor Aerial Up to 45dB (I do not switch the amplifier on, only plug the Aerial into the mains).
    I've a different usb dongle (Freecom hybrid) which works well but a bit pricy.
    BTW, it seems to be 3rock that we're getting the signal from and I've had it working on MC7 and Mediua portal since the DTT trial went live about 2 years ago.
    Try and stick the Aerial out the window before you buy anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

I've just ordered one of these from the Eunion4u, just for playing around with, you know.

Anyway, I've a question, can I use this to receive a DAB radio broadcast? Assuming I've coverage, of course!

Thanks!

Yes, you''ll be getting DAB radio if in covered area.

Hi i have noticed on my hp laptop that there is a lag between picture and voice on rte2. have to look on temporary channels as unwatchable

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Hi i have noticed on my hp laptop that there is a lag between picture and voice on rte2. have to look on temporary channels as unwatchable

RTE2 is transmitted in HD, your laptop (and the same is mine) is not up to par to play HD content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,130 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

some software might do better job at hd playback

Not sure if its possible, but can you record rte 2 and playback with vlc? might get better results

Advertisement