Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

WOW what a move by Blount...seals the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Blount, WOW!

Am i mad to fancy the steelers here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Am i mad to fancy the steelers here?

Most certainly not, the Saints are a very different team this year to the one that won the Superbowl. They havent played with the same intensity so far this year, and while they could suddenly click tonight, I'd back the Steelers too

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Most certainly not, the Saints are a very different team this year to the one that won the Superbowl. They havent played with the same intensity so far this year, and while they could suddenly click tonight, I'd back the Steelers too
    Im after taking them at evens, really looking forward to this one, hope ben and the boys can do it. Im 7 from 11 so far tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Im 7 from 11 so far tonight.
    Nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

8-11 :)

Jets, Titans and Cowboys let me down!

Anyone else in the boards tipster league?

frostie500 wrote: »
    Nice!!
    Ya good tonight but the Cardinals let me down for a nice few euro eariler. Im .606 % for the season but it has been a tough season for picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Archimedes wrote: »
    Hulk Hands, I'll get to work designing the Tom Brady sig as part of your forfeit :D

Looking forward to it! :rolleyes:

And with the depression of that loss sinking in, I have also realised that I spent my entire evening watching NFL and I have an as yet unstarted project due in at 10 in the morning

:pac:

• Advertisement

8-11 :)

Jets, Titans and Cowboys let me down!

Anyone else in the boards tipster league?
    Don't get me started with those Cowboys, who have you got in the two remaining games?

8-11 here too.

One of the few people who went for the Saints aswell so that's a make or break game coming up! Also one of only 2 people who went for the Packers which I find amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

who have you got in the two remaining games?

Steelers and Colts and not so confident about either of them realy

One lad picked the Jags to win, I'm say he's feeling pretty smug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

8-11 here too.

One of the few people who went for the Saints aswell so that's a make or break game coming up! Also one of only 2 people who went for the Packers which I find amazing.

In fairness, the Packers haven't really being clicking lately and the Jets were/are in the top three or four teams so far this year along with the Steelers and Patriots.

On that, what's everyone's top five teams so far? I'd add in the Giants and I'd have it a throw up for the last spot between the Falcons and the winners of Indy/Houston tomorrow, but the Texans' pass defense will always make me wary of relying on them not to crash and burn in classic Texan style.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,767 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

8-11 here too.

I felt there was a chance they might do something but picking them against a team who had won 5 on the bounce and were coming off a bye week would be surprising in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

8-11 here too.

I went for the Packers as did Davyjose also.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I felt there was a chance they might do something but picking them against a team who had won 5 on the bounce and were coming off a bye week would be surprising in fairness.
    I went for the Packers as did Davyjose also.

Oh I meant on the CBS Picks league. I know the Jets record was 5-1 and all that, but the Packers were off of a big win over Minnesota, and usually when 2 big reputation teams like these clash you rarely get a majority of picks on one side. Just found it unusual is all.

Syferus wrote: »
    Honestly, I think you were the one that got defensive about it!

And my point was, and is, that the Jets - given we have footage of the whole process thanks to Hard Knocks - liked Woodhead and had an idea of his quailities but they had other players that suited their needs more than Woodhead.

Who could really have been dropped to make room for him? Conners was probably their best blocker, Richardson is entrenched at the Jets and McKnight is being protrayed as a flawed prodigy of a player. Perhaps the the most likely person would be Brad Smith, but even he has his college QB background that gives them something different too. I think most teams understand that sometimes you have to let good players go because you've not got a worthwhile place or reason to keep them. I'm sure Ryan will look wistly at Woodhead if he lights the Jets up, but even then it's not like the Jets are all that poorer for his absence.
    I'm sorry but I had to bring this one back up.

Woodhead made the Jets final 53 and then they cut him. And this is where Ryan made his boo boo. He cut him to bring back David Clowney who never played a snap on offense for them. Clowney was cut then when Santonio Holmes suspension was up.
    If he had kept Woodhead like he should on the roster at that time, he had the opportunity to use him like in similar packages to Brad Smith, and use him as a wideout too.
    Whats totally ridiculous is that the Jets are carrying 2 full backs and 4 tight ends on their roster. Like most tight ends are good blockers so if you get stuck for a full back during a game you can use one of them. And even at that if you had only 1 fullback they still have too many tight ends.
    You do realise that Brad Smith is listed as a wide receiver and that they only have Smith, Cotchery, Edwards and Holmes. Like Woodhead is your perfect dual threat when you are that short on recievers. It was a huge mistake by Ryan to let Woodhead go and its been compounded by him being picked up by the Patriots and becoming a big part of their success ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Channel 4 seems to be alot better to watch the game on compared to sky which lm surprised at.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Channel 4 seems to be alot better to watch the game on compared to sky which lm surprised at.

Well for one there's no actual in-game ad breaks on C4, and Imalch and Carlson have a long history doing this so now they've got used to each other they're pretty great.

• Advertisement

Wow, Brees was asleep there.

Pats are now the only team with a single loss. What a lovely day :)

Pat-a-cake, Pat-a-cake Brett falls down.

What? I won't ever be about to make these Farve jokes again so sssh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Man, the Pats are looking like the best team in the league right now. Frightening, as I don't really think Brady's playing near his best yet (bar a few occasions).

They're just churning out the wins. Fair play, I didn't see it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Woohoo, go Raiders!!! Really enjoyed that win. Maybe, just maybe we can dare to dream about some form of respectability this year! Kansas City next week, will be a good test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I got pretty damn lucky that a bar I just happened to walk by happened to be showing full replay of Packers game.
    Absolutely delighted with that result. I didn't expect us to win at all.The defence really stood up and played like they did last year.
    We should have huge momentum now and I think we are warm favourites to win the division.

Oh lol Cowboys of course.

davyjose wrote: »
    Man, the Pats are looking like the best team in the league right now. Frightening, as I don't really think Brady's playing near his best yet (bar a few occasions).

They're just churning out the wins. Fair play, I didn't see it coming.

Amazingly i see it as the Pats D and Special Teams as carrying the Pats' offense through games. The D has been incredible in recent weeks and is only growing with confidence.

The offense has been stagnant for large parts of games this year relying on stops from the D and some magic on Special Teams to keep us in games. But the funny thing is that its the offense that has the most potential.

I see the Pats as a Top10 team at d mo, but as soon as the offense starts clicking i think we will be a serious contender.
    • Wes is still trying to get back to 100%
    • Branch is relatively new and still needs time to gel properly
    • Tate has potential and seems to get slightly better every game
    • 2 rookie TEs can only get even better with time
    • Oline played really well at the start of the season but has gone a small bit backward in recent weeks, so hopefully they can turn it around and we will get Mankins back for the last half of the season (how fit/willing to play he'll be, i dunno)
    • Fred Taylor comes back in a week or two, adding depth to the RBs
    • Tom's performance at times has been poor this season, but after yesterday i'm seeing improvement, so he's just getting into a rhythm with all the change around him
    All in all things are looking good for the Pats...oh yeah and we have BB as our HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Oh I meant to say I really thought there was poor play-calling by the Jets in their final drive. Sanchez had a QB sneak for 2 yards at 1st and 10, why:confused:
    and as the commentators mentioned going for the endzone on 3rd and 11 when you know you're going for it on 4th down is pretty poor play-calling.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I get what you are saying Tallaght but when you think of all the factors. Worst case scenario was they didn't get in and Tavaris Jackson gets the ball at his own 2 with 40 seconds on the clock and no timeouts. Thats why I think its Belichick's genius coming to the fore again. Not many coaches would think like that.

I didn't get it straight away either, just before the 2nd down it clicked with me what he was at.

I don't think he would have done that if Favre was still in the game.

FYI Listening to Brady's interview on the radio this morning, he said that the 2 QB sneaks were intentially taken to waste time and not score.

• Advertisement

The hour early caught me out - luckily I go on the stream in time to catch the first Indy TD. Not too many Manning, I still need to win my fantasy match-up!

Advertisement