Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 8

Options
  • 30-10-2010 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm not able to match Eagle Eye's in depth previews but time for the Week 8 thread

Bye: Falcons, Ravens, Bears, Browns, Giants, Eagles

Sunday NFL Games October 31, 2010

Washington Redskins at Detroit Lions – 1:00 PM
    Jacksonville Jaguars at Dallas Cowboys – 1:00 PM
    Miami Dolphins at Cincinnati Bengals – 1:00 PM
    Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs – 1:00 PM
    Carolina Panthers at St. Louis Rams – 1:00 PM
    Denver Broncos at San Francisco 49ers – 1:00 PM
    Green Bay Packers at NY Jets – 1:00 PM
    Tennessee Titans at San Diego Chargers – 4:05 PM
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Arizona Cardinals – 4:15 PM
    Minnesota Vikings at New England Patriots – 4:15 PM
    Seattle Seahawks at Oakland Raiders – 4:15 PM

Sunday Night Football October 31, 2010 8:20PM ET:

Pittsburgh Steelers vs New Orleans Saints

Monday Night Football November 1, 2010 8:30PM ET:

Houston Texans vs Indianapolis Colts

I was sad to see Troy Smith leave the Ravens and hope he does enough to become an NFL starter, I reckon he is well capable of it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

I fell out of watching american football a couple of years ago since i lost my sky sports but ive been watching on ch4 over the last few weeks . Is there any good streams for the other games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Keep an eye on the thread at the top of this forum, it's usually updated for streams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Being able to only give your full attention to four games over the whole weekend, you can't ask for a better weekend than this.

Packers @ Jets
    Vikings @ Patriots
    Steelers @ Saints
    Texans @ Colts

That's a bloody fantastic line up. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Archimedes wrote: »
    Being able to only give your full attention to four games over the whole weekend, you can't ask for a better weekend than this.

Packers @ Jets
    Vikings @ Patriots
    Steelers @ Saints
    Texans @ Colts

That's a bloody fantastic line up. Cant wait.
    Agreed. I play in a regular season picking comp, very hard pick this season. This week i went for cheifs, cowboys, lions, bengels, 49ers, jets, rams, chargers, cardinals, pats, raiders, steelers, colts.

400e for the winner so it's a prize well worth winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Archimedes wrote: »
    Packers @ Jets

Unfortunately we get the Niners and the Broncos instead of this.

In the late game, how long will #4 last, assuming he starts? I say 10 snaps.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »

Ah sure there's plenty of ways around that these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Pherekydes wrote: »

I think we can forgive them for covering the one game of the year from this side of the ocean in lue of any other match, honestly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Washington Redskins at Detroit Lions
    Jacksonville Jaguars at Dallas Cowboys
    Miami Dolphins at Cincinnati Bengals
    Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs
    Carolina Panthers at St. Louis Rams
    Denver Broncos at San Francisco 49ers
    Green Bay Packers at NY Jets
    Tennessee Titans at San Diego Chargers
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Arizona Cardinals
    Minnesota Vikings at New England Patriots
    Seattle Seahawks at Oakland Raiders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Pittsburgh Steelers at New Orleans Saints

Houston Texans at Indianapolis Colts

davyjose wrote: »

I don't bet on anything, never been in a bookies for years or have an online account.
    However, if you're confident, the Bills are +7.5 on the spread for that selection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

davyjose wrote: »

Pittsburgh Steelers at New Orleans Saints

Houston Texans at Indianapolis Colts

Other than the Pats/Vikes game this is how I would pick them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    I fell out of watching american football a couple of years ago since i lost my sky sports but ive been watching on ch4 over the last few weeks . Is there any good streams for the other games?

CH4?, are they showing football?. I've no Sky either but have Gamepass to follow my Bolts.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    CH4?, are they showing football?. I've no Sky either but have Gamepass to follow my Bolts.

They show the Sunday late game. 1.30am kick off Monday morning for us.

12.30am this week, the US switch DST after us.

I don't bet on anything, never been in a bookies for years or have an online account.
    However, if you're confident, the Bills are +7.5 on the spread for that selection
    That's amazing odds. Buffalo are a poor team, but I can't see them going 0-16. This could be the game!
    Other than the Pats/Vikes game this is how I would pick them also.
    Yeah. Nothing against the Pats, but I've a soft spot for the Vikes, and adore Favre. Can't accept the old man will miss the Playoffs in his last season, but if he loses this game, he will. deep down, though, I know I'm probably wrong! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Wow didn't know that. Feel like a right 'DOH!' now. Has it been since week one?. Is this the one Imlach is doing?.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Wow didn't know that. Feel like a right 'DOH!' now. Has it been since week one?. Is this the one Imlach is doing?.

Yup and Yup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,771 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bye: Falcons, Ravens, Bears, Browns, Giants, Eagles

Sunday NFL Games October 31, 2010
    5pm UK time
    Washington should have a lot of success on the ground in this one. They are just one game off the top of the NFC East and they still have to play the Giants twice. You would think they would have too much for a 1-6 team like Detroit wouldn't you? but,
    The Lions have Matthew Stafford back and that means that they are dangerous through the air. It also appears that Jahvid Best is healthier than he has been all year for this one. Stafford's return spells big trouble for the Redskins who have the second worst passing D in the league. And with a healthy Best who will get plenty of space if Stafford and Calvin Johnson connect a few times I can see them putting up a huge score.
    It sounds crazy picking a 1-6 team over an AFC East 4-3 team but I just don't think that McNabb has enough targets to punish a pretty average Lions secondary. I can see Ryan Torrain having a great day but it won't be enough. Home win for me. Detroit Lions
    John Kitna starts his first game for the Cowboys in place of the injured Tony Romo. I actually like Kitna and it was interesting to watch him last week after a tough start when he came in for Romo. At the end of the game he was connecting with his receivers and he has had a week with them since then. Against this awful, awful defense I expect him to put up big numbers.
    The Jaguars depend too much on Maurice Jones-Drew. Both David Garrard and Trent Edwards are coming off injuries. I just can't see them doing much here.
    MJD should have a decent day but the Cowboys D should stop them plenty. This one should be easy for Kitna and the Dallas Cowboys
    Amazingly Miami are 3-0 on the road and 0-3 at home. The Bengals are 2-1 at home after their surprise loss to the fresh off a bye week Bucs a couple of weeks back.
    I like the Bengals here though, somebody flipped a switch on Carson Palmer last week and despite the Bengals losing to a tough defense, they still managed to put up 32 points and Palmer had over 400 yards through the air. Miami are not good against the pass and with receivers like Ochocinco and TO I think this could be a long day for the Dolphins. They will be looking to get to Palmer but that offensive line of his has only given up 10 sacks on the year to this point.
    The Dolphins are not in good shape on offense. Their passing game is just average and their running game seems to have fallen apart this year. Cincinnati Bengals
    Well Ryan Fitzpatrick has been making the headlines with his performances. This game pits him against one tough front seven though and it will test him and his Offensive Line. Thing is that if his OL stands up he could have a huge day as the Chiefs secondary is not very good. Problem for him is that even if he does have a good day it might not be enough with the Bills awful D.
    The Chiefs have been impressive this year and I expect their two pronged running attack namely Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones to have big days here and thats after Matt Cassel puts up his biggest numbers of the year so far. I think this will be a real high scoring game and if Fitzpatrick can do his thing this week then it should be a very interesting game. I do expect the Chiefs to win this one handsomely though. Kansas City Chiefs
    Carolina got their first win of the season last week with Matt Moore back under center. This week the problem is DeAngelo Williams who is out which leaves an underperforming Jonathon Stewart as the lead back. And thats not good news for them either because Stewart has shown in the past that he goes down when he is asked to carry the load.
    The Rams are struggling to find decent receivers for Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson is not in good shape heading into this one either. They are unbeaten at home though
    I don't see much scoring in the game and it will be close but I just fancy the Rams to want it more at home. St. Louis Rams
    Well what can you say about this one. The 49ers coming off another loss, this time to a team that hadn't won a game up to then. The Broncos coming off a hugely embarrassing home loss to the Raiders.
    Frank Gore must be licking his lips at the thoughts of a possible 200 yard game in this one. That is of course if Troy Smith knows enough of the playbook to be a factor after only joining the 49ers on Wednesday.
    And on the other side of the ball Kyle Orton must be almost expecting a big day if his line can hold up against a tough 49ers front seven. He isn't going to get any help from the running game which is close to non-existent. The 49ers are having big trouble in their secondary and if Orton does get any time in the pocket then he will shred them.
    And of course this game is taking place at Wembley Stadium in London so no home advantage for either side.
    I'll guess that the Broncos will do it. Unlike the 49ers even if they fall behind early it doesn't make a difference because they will be going to the air anyways. If the 49ers fall behind though, I can't really see Troy Smith being prepared for it. Its a game pitting two sides with big weaknesses on both sides of the ball. In fact if you put the best of both sides together you might have one hell of a team because the problems on one side are the weaknesses on the other and vice versa. Denver Broncos
    You know for some reason I get this feeling that the Packers might just shock us here but everytime that thought comes into my head I remember that the Jets have won five on the bounce since their opening night loss to the Ravens and they are coming off a bye week.
    Still Aaron Rodgers is very hard to get to, he is so quick at dropping back and getting rid of the ball and he can scramble too. Problem is the loss of Jermichael Finley is really hurting them. And Brandon Jackson who had a very good game last week is just too up and down for my liking also.
    I still am not impressed by Mark Sanchez and this early start is a real test for him. He has been known to play badly in early kickoffs and he has one here.
    Still when its all said and done this Jets D is very mean and their running game can really hurt the Packers. I gotta go for the fresh team here. New York Jets
    8:05 PM
    Well the Titans keep on rolling and I like them in this matchup too. The Chargers are good on D this year but their offense is in trouble right now with all the injuries to key players. The Titans D has been real good this year and I expect them to have another good day here against a bunch of very average receivers. The fact that we've seen Darren Sproles in the backfield more often suggests that Ryan Matthews is not up to this level at least for the moment. And thats not good either for the Chargers.
    On the other side of the ball, Kenny Britt is finally turning into the receiver that I thought he would be when I was hoping the Patriots would take him in the first round. He won't be facing any disciplinary action from his coach so he is good to go this week. If Vince Young hooks up with him a couple of times early as I expect then it will leave room for Chris Johnson to exploit and that means more trouble for the Chargers. Could this be the end of Norv Turner. His firing is long overdue imo. Tennessee Titans
    8:15 PM
    Well the Bucs got it done late last week and they managed to hold the Rams scoreless in the second half doing it. For that defense it was some performance. Now the Cardinals don't have a great running game which is what you need to beat these Bucs. And their quarterback situation is so dreadful that they are giving a third start to Max Hall who doesn't have a touchdown under his belt after two games. Beanie Wells has been named the starting running back this week and I don't think he is anything special either.
    The Bucs are nothing spectacular but in Josh Freeman they have a QB on the rise and they have a couple of very decent young receivers too. Their running game is not up to much at all but Cadillac Williams is being used a blocker more often than a runner and its working for the Bucs.
    Somehow, some way the Cardinals are 3-3 but they just don't score enough points for me and thats how the Bucs are winning games is by beating teams who don't score much. Tampa Bay Buccanneers

I have a lot of concerns about New England heading into this game. Firstly Branch is listed as questionable for this game and if he misses it then we are down to two legitimate receivers in Wes Welker and Aaron Hernandez. I'm still waiting for Brandon Tate to show up on this offense. Even Branch after an excellent first week back with the Patriots was not so good last week in San Diego. Right now there is no deep threat to worry defenses and thats a real problem for the Patriots.
    But the biggest concern is the left side of that offensive line which was crumbling last week in San Diego. With Jaren Allen(who is not having a good year to date) on the other side of that line, I am really worried that things could go wrong quickly here.
    The defense has looked good the last 3 games but you have to look at the games they have played well in. They did well against a Miami team that are struggling big time on offense and have failed to win in Miami, then fresh off the bye week they did well at home against the Ravens, then last week they did well against a badly injury hit Chargers on the road again. I think this defense will get better the more they play but its still too early to call them the real deal.
    Its looking like Brett Favre will be fit to start in New England and the man has some record there. Since the arrival of Moss back in Viking land Percy Harvin has been getting the kind of room that Wes Welker was getting while Moss was in New England. And they have AP there too who will always do damage at some stage. Visanthe Shiancoe is another receiving threat who seems to be getting better as the weeks go by.
    This Vikings team will have it very hard to make it out of their division as things stand currently but a win this weekend and a loss for Packers puts them in with a shot as they still have to face the Pack in the dome and play the Bears twice. Its a must win game for them here and I think they might just do it. I'm not liking my prediction here one bit and I truly hope that I am way wrong on it. Minnesota Vikings
    Well the Seahawks are struggling on the road and the Raiders are coming off a huge win over the Broncos. Only problem is that the Raiders like to run the ball and the Seahawks know how to stop that. They are currently 2nd in the league on D against the run.
    The Raiders are real mean against the pass and it will be very interesting to see 6'5" Mike Williams go up against Nnamdi Asomugha. The key player in this game though is undoubtedly Marshawn Lynch. He can have a big day here and win it for the Seattle Seahawks.

Sunday Night Football October 31, 2010 12:20 AM Monday UK time

The Steelers could be the best team in football right now and they go to the stuttering Superbowl Champs. Actually this pits the last two Superbowl winners against each other. I can only guess that its a hangover in New Orleans from the big win last year because they have been nothing short of abysmal in most of their recent games. They are now faced the with the real possibility of no postseason which could finally get them moving forward but Drew Brees had a terrible week against the Browns and facing this D is possibly the worst thing you could be doing the week after that. Has to be the Pittsburgh Steelers

Monday Night Football November 1, 2010 12:30AM Tuesday UK time

Well, here we are with Dallas Clark gone, Austin Collie out for who knows how long and Joseph Addai doubtful too. Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon listed as questionable, Anthony Gonzalez back in the mix with full practices all week but still questionable. What a way to come off a bye week for the Colts. The Colts have to have a couple of those guys on the field on Monday night if they are to have any chance. Their D is going to have to stop the run or at least suppress it somewhat too.
    The Texans were oh so lucky last week to grab the late win at home last week and you have to fancy them here with Andre Johnson fit again and their running game in great shape. Their passing D is so bad though that you can just see Peyton Manning tearing them apart.
    I think if Manning has any two of Wayne, Garcon and Gonzalez fully healthy that the Colts will take this but if only one of them is fit then I think the Texans take it. Without knowing for sure though I'll take the Indianapolis Colts

Games on at 5 tonight lads. Don't forget, clocks haven't gone back in the US yet!!!!!!!

As im kind of new to american football , which game do people recommended i watch?
    Btw i havent sky sports so ill have to find a stream for it

• Advertisement

As im kind of new to american football , which game do people recommended i watch?
    Btw i havent sky sports so ill have to find a stream for it

Packers @ Jets at 5
    Vikings @ Patriots @ 8
    Saints @ Steelers on Channel 4 @ 12

Three absolutely fantastic games today, we're really spoilt this weekend :)

As im kind of new to american football ,

Welcome

So Sharkey 10, have you a favorite team you support?

Welcome

So Sharkey 10, have you a favorite team you support?
    No i dont unfortunately as i dont watch it enough to become familiar with players and the way they play.
    I did support new orleans for the last super bowl but that was more attached to the story involved.
    I find american football quite intriguing for the tactical side of things ,which admittedly i dont have a great understanding of, but understand most if not all of the rules. I find it hard at scrimmage to watch all that is going on and never spot the fouls. I think it was last week i heard the commentator say that the team has to much time to score and that was with 3 minutes on the clock , i think he was implying that the other team would have ample time to come back and score , thats just so foreign to me .

Anyway i hope i find a stream for a game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Check this thread before kick-off for any links http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055740951&page=2

Feel free to ask in this thread or in there.

I usually use http://atdhe.net

No i dont unfortunately as i dont watch it enough to become familiar with players and the way they play.
    I did support new orleans for the last super bowl but that was more attached to the story involved.

Take your time anyway.
    Saints are at home, the Superdome should be electric but a very, very tough game against the Steelers.

Btw, the best team in the NFL isn't playing this week :D
    On a bye week
    I find it hard at scrimmage to watch all that is going on and never spot the fouls.

Often the officals don't either ;)

So My Chemical Romance have actually got worse since I heard them last. Hopefully that's not the most amazing thing to happen at Wembley this afternoon.

Well Jeff Beck mnaged to plump the depths even deeper, at least.

Good quality stream for Packers @ Jets on sopcast Channel - 103406. Much better than the atdhe stream today.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jags 7 - 3 against the cowboys early in the first. Made it look easy aswell.

Jets fake punt in their own red zone! Green Bay challenging whether or not he made it to the first down marker. Very close call, could backfire here if the challenge is successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,771 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jets went for a fake punt, there is a challenge as to whether he got the first down or not. Real risky play early in the game like that. It was given as a first down Jets.

Edit: Overturned, 1st down Green Bay at the Jets 36.

Advertisement