Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

gurramok wrote: »
    Now, thats an extreme lotto odds example. Other than a biblical/Supernatural interfernce, the above has never been documented to happen.

stranger things have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ollchailin wrote: »
    In all fairness, your problem in understanding this issue is so ridiculous it feels like you're mocking us, so this spelling error is understandable.
    Oh, it wasn't an error. Thought he could use the c to plug up the hole in his head!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Where does it say in the constitution they have to keep asking my religious beliefs in a hospital?!
    Somehow I don't think the constitution outlines hospital admin procedures.

They ask religious beliefs akin to anything else. If you don't have a religion, the answer is "None". It's not some massive conspiracy and it's hardly even worth a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I am not a woman!

Troll. Going asleep now. You are obviously not prepared to admit that a doctor / hospital admin cannot know everything about you (including your current ailment) just by looking at you. OK so, feel free to accept whatever diagnosis anybody throws at you without asking any questions.

You may not be wearing a costume, but I still think that you are a clown. You are trying to cause problem and raise hatred towards religious because you have no time for it. Grand, have not time for it, but don't dismiss something that is important to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes, and I would if I could, because now that the hospital have his records on file, I could just leave him there and not worry about how they'll know not to bother with all the God stuff.

And then when he comes round, he'll be all like "Hey you guuuys!!! NOW I get it!!!"

And then we'll be all super happy and never want to kill him again.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

What gives them the right to ask about religion??
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    By Darwin, I do believe you have got it! Well done! Nurse give the boy a lollipop and a bandage for his holey (not holy, mind!) head!

We put it on file so that we know not to give you last rites or any other religious stuff. That's why we asked at the fracture clinic!

Now, can we all go to off to sleep?

No, its not your bedtime yet :D

Again, whats gives them the right to ask religion?
    In all fairness, your problem in understanding this issue is so ridiculous it feels like you're mocking us, so this spelling error is understandable.

I ain't mocking! I make sincere well thought out posts!

• Advertisement

What gives them the right to ask about religion??
    What gives them the right to ask your name?

They need to know. That's pretty much it. Feel free to act "Shocked" and waste hospital staff's time though.

I ain't mocking! I make sincere well thought out posts!
    :eek:

Somehow I don't think the constitution outlines hospital admin procedures.

They ask religious beliefs akin to anything else. If you don't have a religion, the answer is "None". It's not some massive conspiracy and it's hardly even worth a thread.

Why ask me then? Some say over future reference, I ask where does it give them the right to ask my religion?
    Troll. Going asleep now. You are obviously not prepared to admit that a doctor / hospital admin cannot know everything about you (including your current ailment) just by looking at you. OK so, feel free to accept whatever diagnosis anybody throws at you without asking any questions.

You may not be wearing a costume, but I still think that you are a clown. You are trying to cause problem and raise hatred towards religious because you have no time for it. Grand, have not time for it, but don't dismiss something that is important to others.

Sorry, I don't wear clown costumes. I respect what others want, can you respect that I on a non-fatal procedure does not need my religion to be asked of?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Sorry, I don't wear clown costumes.!

maybe you should start..

Why ask me then? Some say over future reference, I ask where does it give them the right to ask my religion?

Sorry, I don't wear clown costumes. I respect what others want, can you respect that I on a non-fatal procedure does not need my religion to be asked of?!
    Sure, just don't complain at a later date that your atheism wasn't respected when you weren't in a position to object.

What gives them the right to ask your name?

They need to know. That's pretty much it. Feel free to act "Shocked" and waste hospital staff's time though.

Name is standard asking in any procedure no matter where you register but not religion.

If I got arrested by a Garda tomorrow, do they ask what religion are you? No they don't and rightly so, so why should certain hospitals think they are unique in this regard especially for a non-fatal examination? (Note: I understand if its for a fatal procedure)

• Advertisement

Sure, just don't complain at a later date that your atheism wasn't respected when you weren't in a position to object.

Why should they not respect my beliefs? I had always thought hospitals respect my beliefs??

They NEED to know. A hospital is a professional environment. If anything were to happen (e.g. A high heroin addict stabs you for looking at him funny) inside the hospital, I don't think they'd have time to be asking you for details. If you were a religious person, i'm sure you'd want to be treated appropriately according to your religion in case of you being between life and death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Of course I respect what you want, but they are respecting you by asking what you want. You answered 'no religion'. Therefore no problem. No need to post. WTF?

Why should they not respect my beliefs? I had always thought hospitals respect my beliefs??
    Troll, it's time for bed.

Name is standard asking in any procedure no matter where you register but not religion.

If I got arrested by a Garda tomorrow, do they ask what religion are you? No they don't and rightly so, so why should certain hospitals think they are unique in this regard especially for a non-fatal examination? (Note: I understand if its for a fatal procedure)
    Generally speaking the Gardaí don't deal with dying and dead people in a clinical environment. When someone dies with a Garda it's generally at a crime scene or similar. When someone dies in a hospital it's a whole different setting.

Say you went in to get an ingrown toenail removed. One of the instruments being used for some reason or another has a highly toxic chemical all over it and somehow the doctor using it didn't notice it was there. A "non-fatal procedure" would turn immediately in to an emergency.

Speaking of "non-fatal procedure" as you keep saying... You do get the point of a hospital right? They're for healing people's ailments and bettering their health. A fatal procedure would be murder.

They NEED to know. A hospital is a professional environment. If anything were to happen (e.g. A high heroin addict stabs you for looking at him funny) inside the hospital, I don't think they'd have time to be asking you for details. If you were a religious person, i'm sure you'd want to be treated appropriately according to your religion in case of you being between life and death.

In that case as extreme violence can happen anywhere, shouldn't the Luas operators ask my religion before boarding?:confused: (junkie related topic to post)

As you say, where does it say they have a right to ask my religion before admittance?!:confused:

In that case as extreme violence can happen anywhere, shouldn't the Luas operators ask my religion before boarding?:confused: (junkie related topic to post)
    Luas' don't have an onboard chaplain and Luas operators aren't qualified healthcare professionals that deal with life and death on a daily basis...

As you say, where does it say they have a right to ask my religion before admittance?!:confused:
    They have a right to ask whatever is necessary for professionally treating you. Whether you like it or not, Religion can be a pretty important part of someone's life.

Of course I respect what you want, but they are respecting you by asking what you want. You answered 'no religion'. Therefore no problem. No need to post. WTF?

Where does it give them the right to ask that in the first place?!
    Troll, it's time for bed.

Haha, so you cannot answer the question which was "Where does it give them the right to ask that in the first place?!"
    Generally speaking the Gardaí don't deal with dying and dead people in a clinical environment. When someone dies with a Garda it's generally at a crime scene or similar. When someone dies in a hospital it's a whole different setting.

Say you went in to get an ingrown toenail removed. One of the instruments being used for some reason or another has a highly toxic chemical all over it and somehow the doctor using it didn't notice it was there. A "non-fatal procedure" would turn immediately in to an emergency.

Speaking of "non-fatal procedure" as you keep saying... You do get the point of a hospital right? They're for healing people's ailments and bettering their health. A fatal procedure would be murder.

Why would they do that? You are quoting unheard of extreme examples to further your pointless argument.
    Luas' don't have an onboard chaplain and Luas operators aren't qualified healthcare professionals that deal with life and death on a daily basis...

They have a right to ask whatever is necessary for professionally treating you. Whether you like it or not, Religion can be a pretty important part of someone's life.

Not everyone's life. News to you, a huge portion of the population do not profess religious beliefs so where is the right to ask them their religion when there is no right to ask them?

Where does it give them the right to ask that in the first place?!

Haha, so you cannot answer the question which was "Where does it give them the right to ask that in the first place?!"

Why would they do that? You are quoting unheard of extreme examples to further your pointless argument.

Not everyone's life. News to you, a huge portion of the population do not profess religious beliefs so where is the right to ask them their religion when there is no right to ask them?
    / sigh

/ sigh

Huh?

I had asked in this thread. What gives a hospital a right to query your religion especially for a non-fatal procedure, whats wrong with that question?!

After all, we are in the 21st Century!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Oh ffs gurramok give it up will ya. You're question has been answered a million times over. If you're looking for people to agree with you and nothing more, why not fcuk off to the atheist forum and do us all a favour. Even thought you'll probably still be told what everyone here has told you.

Huh?

I had asked in this thread. What gives a hospital a right to query your religion especially for a non-fatal procedure, whats wrong with that question?!

Every single procedure in a hospital is intended to be a non fatal procedure. It's not a slaughterhouse.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Oh ffs gurramok give it up will ya. You're question has been answered a million times over. If you're looking for people to agree with you and nothing more, why not fcuk off to the atheist forum and do us all a favour. Even thought you'll probably still be told what everyone here has told you.

Eh, alwaysadub. Why not answer the question? Why is there a need to ask religion on a non-fatal procedure and secondly what gives them the right to ask about religion in the first place?(under what law?)

Every single procedure in a hospital is intended to be a non fatal procedure. It's not a slaughterhouse.

Yes..and?

Unlike the dental practice he attends!

Eh, alwaysadub. Why not answer the question? Why is there a need to ask religion on a non-fatal procedure and secondly what gives them the right to ask about religion in the first place?(under what law?)

Eh- the question was answered. On the 1st bloody page. And every page thereafter.

If you want to talk about the legality, go ask in the legal forum,i'm not a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Huh?

Believe it or not, not everything goes according to plan in a hospital. Some people are very religious, and examples were given on the 1st page. If something was to go horribly wrong, then the hospital will know what treatment to give. Otherwise, people could easily sue afterwards (assuming they survive)

You simply don't have to answer the question, say that you have no religious-based treatment preferences. That's all they want to know. Don't be such a drama queen

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Eh- the question was answered. On the 1st bloody page. And every page thereafter.

If you want to talk about the legality, go ask in the legal forum,i'm not a lawyer.

Regarding the question, it was not answered on the 1st page!

All i got so far was 'for future reference'. What gives them the right to ask that?
    Healium wrote:
    Believe it or not, not everything goes according to plan in a hospital. Some people are very religious, and examples were given on the 1st page. If something was to go horribly wrong, then the hospital will know what treatment to give. Otherwise, people could easily sue afterwards (assuming they survive)

You simply don't have to answer the question, say that you have no religious-based treatment preferences. That's all they want to know. Don't be such a drama queen

How does religious treatment concur with religious beliefs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

stop being such a ****ing troll, you come across like someone with NO reasoning skills or ability to comprehend the obvious. If it really bothers you so much phone joe duffy or write a strongly worded letter, whatever, just STFU and GTFO if you are not going to even to pretend to see the perfectly obvious.

I'd almost recommend you do a few AQ tests, you display a lot of ASD like traits on this thread!

• Advertisement

Regarding the question, it was not answered on the 1st page!

All i got so far was 'for future reference'. What gives them the right to ask that?

How does religious treatment concur with religious beliefs?

It has been explained, yet i've noticed you've a great knack for ignoring what you don't want to see.

And that 2nd bit of your quote doesn't even make any sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement