Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Jazzy wrote: »
    YES BUT THEY NEED TO ASK BECAUSE ITS PROCEDURE AND IF THEY DIDNT YOU WOULD HAVE PEOPLE GOING "WHY THE FCUK DIDNT THEY ASK ME/HIM/HER WHAT RELIGION I/THEY WERE, ITS ONLY 1 SINGLE BLEEDIN' QUESTION".
    they arent just asking for the laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The fact that I was clearly referring to the drill to your head that you mentioned and that I was replying to?

Considering I am in hospital constantly have checkups to make sure I don't get a recurrence of cancer, yes I knew that quite well thanks.

Well, you say you have a life threatening cancer(all sympathies & wish you best recovery)) and you wish to have representation from your church of choice.

How does that(religion) affect me though?! I was just attending for a non-life threatening checkup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

drkpower wrote: »
    Yes; although you could say it is a little less certain than legislation.

I bet the difference is very small! one Euro and the % of difference being .2%

Clever lyers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Tell them you a Quaker - that way you get to be left in peace and quiet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

I've seen some pretty stupid religion threads here, but this one takes the piss altogether.

OP, you've been given a perfectly logical reason as to why you were asked for your religion in a hospital- be it due to last rites or the right to refuse a blood transfusion etc. Sure, it may not be an issue or priority for you personally, but it may be for another patient, and so the hospital are obliged to have this on their files- what's not to understand about that?

And as was already said, your religion may not be an issue for a basic procedure, but in the future for something more threatening, it may be, and so the hospital are obliged to have this on their files.

I can't understand what part of this you don't get. Even the most staunch atheist would have to accept that there is a logical reason for this question being asked upon admission to hospital.

Honestly, if you were a recently newly registered poster, I'd think you were taking the piss. I kind of think you are anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

View wrote: »
    Tell them you a Quaker - that way you get to be left in peace and quiet. :)
    Whatever you answer to that question, if you do not want a visit from the chaplain all you have to do is say so and you will be left in peace and quiet.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

gurramok wrote: »
    Well, you say you have a life threatening cancer(all sympathies & wish you best recovery)) and you wish to have representation from your church of choice.

How does that(religion) affect me though?! I was just attending for a non-life threatening checkup!

Tbh I'm not religious at all. and also I'm clear atm but thanks ;)

The reason they asked you though was not to dow ith your current procedure but so they could have the information on your record for future reference. I don't understand why you are finding that so hard to understand? For future reference so they don't have to ask you when they do need to know at the last minute. They eon't ask you again because it should now be on your record for them to look up again if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

How am i a clown? Do I have a painted face?:confused:

How does blood type, sex, age, recent ingestions, relate to religion?

They don't relate directly to religion, but they also don't (necessarily) relate to the problem you're having. They are all just questions. Why do you have such a problem with the religion question when it's possibly a relevant question? Maybe I'm wrong, but I gather that you have a problem with the religion question in particular. Would you be happy if they just tried an abortion on you without asking if you're a woman or pregnant or what was wrong with you?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    All hospitals want to have accurate, pertinent patient info colated together in one set of notes. Clearly, your religion was not previously recorded on your notes and the person was updating your records. You may have only been attending a fracture clinic on this occasion but your next visit to the hospital may be for an emergency situation. Now, it doesn't matter to you if you are lying in a resucitation room, unable to communicate your relgious preferences but to many people of different religions it is extremely important to have an offical of their religion present if they are dying. By and large, hospitals will try and faciltate this when they can. Converesly, I would imagine that the presence of a priest delivering last rites ( or whatever equivalant) to you, should the unfortunate situation arise, is not something that you would appreciate. By stating that you are atheist the staff have the relevant info to respect your wishes.

Does it really bother you that much that a hospital try and facilitate the needs of people this way?
    Any part of the above too complicated for you to understand, Gurramock?
    Seriously, which bit is beyond your comprhension?

Ollchailin wrote: »
    I can't understand what part of this you don't get. Even the most staunch atheist would have to accept that there is a logical reason for this question being asked upon admission to hospital..

Why keep my records for a routine checkup? It was non-life threatening.

• Advertisement

You don't know why they keep records? Or you just can't accept that you made a mountain out of a molehill?

They don't relate directly to religion, but they also don't (necessarily) relate to the problem you're having. They are all just questions. Why do you have such a problem with the religion question when it's possibly a relevant question? Maybe I'm wrong, but I gather that you have a problem with the religion question in particular. Would you be happy if they just tried an abortion on you without asking if you're a woman or pregnant or what was wrong with you?

I am not a woman!
    Any part of the above too complicated for you to understand, Gurramock?
    Seriously, which bit is beyond your comprhension?

Yes, there is no need for a hospital institution to record my religious beliefs on a routine check up.
    Tbh I'm not religious at all. and also I'm clear atm but thanks ;)

The reason they asked you though was not to dow ith your current procedure but so they could have the information on your record for future reference. I don't understand why you are finding that so hard to understand? For future reference so they don't have to ask you when they do need to know at the last minute. They eon't ask you again because it should now be on your record for them to look up again if needed

You say future reference, what gives them the right to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's not rocket science. It's in case you have any religious beliefs that would affect your medical treatment or in case you die and there's a priest or something needed. Get over yourself. They're not conspiring against you.

You actually can't be serious?
    you're now asking why a hospital keeps records?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

say your having your routine check up, they find they need a tissue to wipe the foam off your mouth and send someone upstairs to get some because theres none in the room.

as the person walks to the press upstairs and directly above you the ceiling caves in (and this could happen in many irish hospitals) and a large rock lands on your abdomen

now it's suddenly life threatening.

The right to treat to proper treatment! You can't be treated properly if they don't know your medical history! This is serious common sense stuff now.

Did you now know that a hospital puts all your medical records, visits and information on file?

Wow, that drill went in far...

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You have been told about a dozen times at this stage that you were asked this upon registration so that it would be kept ON FILE FOR THE FUTURE should you be admitted to hospital again for something more life-threatening. Bear in mind, you may not be conscious to be able to give them this information, so now that they have it on their files, they don't need to worry about blood transfusions etc. They couldn't give a fiddler's what you believe in, they just need to have it on record to cover their own asses.

And strangely enough, I read this today- this seemed like a fairly routine operation which ended tragically. Things can change all of a sudden without warning, so something non life threatening can become threatening- albeit quite rarely, but it can happen nonetheless:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/hse-apologises-to-family-over-fathers-death-2399406.html

k_mac wrote: »
    It's not rocket science. It's in case you have any religious beliefs that would affect your medical treatment or in case you die and there's a priest or something needed. Get over yourself. They're not conspiring against you.

I don't need a religious person for that!
    You actually can't be serious?
    you're now asking why a hospital keeps records?

Why should they keep record of my beliefs for their own purposes. I have issue when they keep records of non fatal checkups, why oh why they want to know my religion?

Do they expect me to have a heart attack as soon as I leave the hospital?
    say your having your routine check up, they find they need a tissue to wipe the foam off your mouth and send someone upstairs to get some because theres none in the room.

as the person walks to the press upstairs and directly above you the ceiling caves in (and this could happen in many irish hospitals) and a large rock lands on your abdomen

now it's suddenly life threatening.

Now, thats an extreme lotto odds example. Other than a biblical/Supernatural interfernce, the above has never been documented to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

you'd be inclined to wring his neck wouldn't ya?

I am not a woman!

Yes, there is no need for a hospital institution to record my religious beliefs on a routine check up.

So, next week, you are in an accident, admitted to the emergency departnment of the same hospital in an unconsciousess state with a very slim chance of survival. Without your knowledge a priest is summoned and administers the last rites. Happily you pull through and someone recounts to you the event with the priest and you are pretty pissed off because your own beliefs had not been respected and religion had been forced upon you. Or, they can ask you on a routine visit what your religion is and refer to your notes if that situation arose they would know not to summon the priest.

Really, gurramock, change your dentist. All those holes in your head are affecting your ability to comprehend basic stuff.

• Advertisement

The right to treat to proper treatment! You can't be treated properly if they don't know your medical history! This is serious common sense stuff now.

Did you now know that a hospital puts all your medical records, visits and information on file?

Wow, that drill went in far...

What gives them the constitutional right to do said things?

You have been told about a dozen times at this stage that you were asked this upon registration so that it would be kept ON FILE FOR THE FUTURE should you be admitted to hospital again for something more life-threatening. Bear in mind, you may not be conscious to be able to give them this information, so now that they have it on their files, they don't need to worry about blood transfusions etc. They couldn't give a fiddler's what you believe in, they just need to have it on record to cover their own asses.

What gives them the constitutional right to do said things?

Why should they keep record of my beliefs for their own purposes. I have issue when they keep records of non fatal checkups, why oh why they want to know my religion?

I can't believe I am actually having to argue this. With someone who i'm pretty sure is well older than me as well

They have it on file now so they don't have to ask you again. Why is this so hard to take in?
    They have asked you once so that they don't have to ask you on your death bed and it's now on record

Now, thats an extreme lotto odds example. Other than a biblical/Supernatural interfernce, the above has never been documented to happen.

No, but we can dream Gurramock, we can dream...........

So, next week, you are in an accident, admitted to the emergency departnment of the same hospital in an unconsciousess state with a very slim chance of survival. Without your knowledge a priest is summoned and administers the last rites. Happily you pull through and someone recounts to you the event with the priest and you are pretty pissed off because your own beliefs had not been respected and religion had been forced upon you. Or, they can ask you on a routine visit what your religion is and refer to your notes if that situation arose they would know not to summon the priest.

Really, gurramock, change your dentist. All those holes in your head are affecting your ability to comprehend basic stuff.

Firstly, my name is Gurramok without the C, thank you :D

Secondly, if they had my record on file(as you say they have), there would be no need to admin the last rites. And my head is just fine thank you ;):)

Secondly, if they had my record on file(as you say they have), there would be no need to admin the last rites. And my head is just fine thank you ;):)

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT THAT WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU! Because they have your record on file and see that you have no religion they don;t feel the need to administer last rites?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't need a religious person for that!
    Oddly enough you're also not the only person who makes use of the mater hospital. Forms are universal for every patient. What's so difficult about saying "None".
    In case you're admitted to the hospital again in a state where you cannot consent to anything or communicate. Let's say someone has an accident and they need a blood transfusion. If they have their information on file they'll be able to get a transfusion almost straight away. If they don't then that'll delay things and that person will more than likely die.
    No one can predict health issues. For all they know you could collapse the moment you turn around to take a seat.

you'd be inclined to wring his neck wouldn't ya?

Yes, and I would if I could, because now that the hospital have his records on file, I could just leave him there and not worry about how they'll know not to bother with all the God stuff.

And then when he comes round, he'll be all like "Hey you guuuys!!! NOW I get it!!!"

And then we'll be all super happy and never want to kill him again.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I am actually having to argue this. With someone who i'm pretty sure is well older than me as well

They have it on file now so they don't have to ask you again. Why is this so hard to take in?
    They have asked you once so that they don't have to ask you on your death bed and it's now on record

Where does it say in the constitution they have to keep asking my religious beliefs in a hospital?!
    No, but we can dream Gurramock, we can dream...........

Hey, leave out the C in my name thanks ;)

Firstly, my name is Gurramok without the C, thank you :D

By Darwin, I do believe you have got it! Well done! Nurse give the boy a lollipop and a bandage for his holey (not holy, mind!) head!

We put it on file so that we know not to give you last rites or any other religious stuff. That's why we asked at the fracture clinic!

Now, can we all go to off to sleep?

• Advertisement

Hey, leave out the C in my name thanks ;)

In all fairness, your problem in understanding this issue is so ridiculous it feels like you're mocking us, so this spelling error is understandable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement