Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I recent years doctors have had to go to court to get permission certain medical procedures (bloods transfusions/transplants) to children of Jehovahs Witnesses.

Jehovah jehovah jehovah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Jehovah jehovah jehovah

atheist is the new jehovah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

drkpower wrote: »
    It isnt. In life saving/health-preserving situations, doctors are entitled & obliged to over-ride a parents wishes.

It's defo nice if they know what the patients wishes might be if they sign the form though?

That's what the thread is about afterall....

Are you for or against the dreaded, 'form'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

In recent years doctors have had to go to court to get permission to give certain medical procedures (bloods transfusions/transplants) to children of Jehovahs Witnesses.

Yes; because, given the time and the opportunity to go to court, that is the best option for everyone. But it doesnt change the fact that a doctor is entitled to override parental wishes in such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It isnt. In life saving/health-preserving situations, doctors are entitled & obliged to over-ride a parents wishes.

Anyway, so, why bother asking in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

lmaopml wrote: »
    It's defo nice if they know what the patients wishes might be if they sign the form though?

That's what the thread is about afterall....

Are you for or against the dreaded, 'form'?
    That really is all it is for. About respecting people's wishes and avoiding
    embarrassment or offense (e.g. protestants being offered communion).No one is expected to state RC and no one is bothered if the answer is agnostic/atheist.

atheist is the new jehovah

[spit/] athiests[/spit] are ok man, dont bad mouth them lads.........

Anyway, so, why bother asking in the first place?

Asking what? Their religon? For the reasons given already, last rites/spiritual needs etc.

Whether they will accept a blood transfusion etc? Because a parents views should always be sought and their consent should always be sought. But in certain serious circumstances, parental refusal can be overriden.

Asking what? Their religon? For the reasons given already, last rites/spiritual needs etc.

Whether they will accept a blood transfusion etc? Because a parents views should always be sought and their consent should always be sought. But in certain serious circumstances, parental refusal can be overriden.

I could be wrong but I think that is legislation has been passed already and rightly so!

I could be wrong but I think that is legislation has been passed already and rightly so!

No legislation yet sadly. All based on case law. Bear in mind that parents can legaly refuse treatment for their children for many many other non-life threatening/serious health threatening conditions/reasons, for religous or other reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

gurramok wrote: »
    It was a non-life threatening procedure!

A fatal drill to someone's head is now non-life threatening? make up your mind!

No legislation yet sadly. All based on case law. Bear in mind that parents can legaly refuse treatment for their children for many many other non-life threatening/serious health threatening conditions/reasons, for religous or other reasons.

Was there not a recent case were Jehovah witness parents where over ruled in their refusal to administer proper healthcare because of beliefs?

Is the High court ruling not a president that allows common sense administration of said healthcare?

Are you saying that a parent has the right to refuse something like pain relief, for example? Would that happen frequently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A fatal drill to someone's head is now non-life threatening? make up your mind!

It was near fatal

Imagine a drill to your head? :);)

Was there not a recent case were Jehovah witness parents where over ruled in their refusal to administer proper healthcare because of beliefs?

Is the High court ruling not a president that allows common sense administration of said healthcare?

Yes, but thats case law rather than legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I was similarly annoyed by this question a long time ago in the A&E of a UK hospital with a minor injury. I said that I didn’t want to state a religion, so the nurse said she would write “no religion”. I can’t remember if I argued that this was not the same thing, and to just to leave it blank or write what I actually said. Surely the best solution would be to simply ask the patient whether they wanted to state a religion.

It was near fatal

You just said it wasn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?

You clown. You're in a hospital cos there's something wrong enough with you to cause you to be in a hospital. MANY people have different religious beliefs that might mean different approaches.

If you don't like being asked potentially pertinent questions, would you deny them your blood type, sex, age, recent ingestions?

You just said it wasn't!

Where?!

You clown. You're in a hospital cos there's something wrong enough with you to cause you to be in a hospital. MANY people have different religious beliefs that might mean different approaches.

If you don't like being asked potentially pertinent questions, would you deny them your blood type, sex, age, recent ingestions?

How am i a clown? Do I have a painted face?:confused:

How does blood type, sex, age, recent ingestions, relate to religion?

• Advertisement

It was near fatal

I'm imagining a drill to your head, ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I was similarly annoyed by this question a long time ago in the A&E of a UK hospital with a minor injury. I said that I didn’t want to state a religion, so the nurse said she would write “no religion”. I can’t remember if I argued that this was not the same thing, and to just to leave it blank or write what I actually said. Surely the best solution would be to simply ask the patient whether they wanted to state a religion.

Has anyone got to the bottom of why they ask the question in the first place (wasn't that what the thread was about)?
    Is it for statistical reasons (why?) or clinical reasons (bigger why?)?

Yes, but thats case law rather than legislation

Is case law effective in prosecution?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm imagining a drill to your head, ;)

Why, thats cruel ? :P

Eh, you saying something here?!

It was a non-life threatening procedure!

No.

Why don't dentist have chaplains, drilling into someone's head is freakily scary!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68756288&postcount=111

there

dvpower wrote: »
    Has anyone got to the bottom of why they ask the question in the first place (wasn't that what the thread was about)?
    Is it for statistical reasons (why?) or clinical reasons (bigger why?)?

Anwered numerous times. In case you need someone to administer last rites

Is case law effective in prosecution?
    Yes; although you could say it is a little less certain than legislation.

How am i a clown? Do I have a painted face?:confused:

How does blood type, sex, age, recent ingestions, relate to religion?
    Depending on your religion, your age and gender could relate to your religion.

It has been explained multiple times to you why this question is asked. You seem to take great offense at the idea that a hospital would try to respect your personal beliefs, whatever they are.

It seems that you are dissapointed that the staff do not recoil in horror and shock when you state you are an atheist.

"It was a non-life threatening procedure!". What part of that do you not understand?

News to you that not all procedures/checkups in hospitals are life threatening, did you know that?

• Advertisement

"It was a non-life threatening procedure!". What part of that do you not understand?

News to you that not all procedures/checkups in hospitals are life threatening, did you know that?

The fact that I was clearly referring to the drill to your head that you mentioned and that I was replying to?

Considering I am in hospital constantly have checkups to make sure I don't get a recurrence of cancer, yes I knew that quite well thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement