Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

gurramok wrote: »
    Why ask it only in a hospital on a non-life threatening examination?

Why not ask it in a dentist?

Because a dentist doesn't care about your hospital records.
    The hospital is keeping your records updated so the next time you come in you don't need to answer more questions. It's quite simple administration practice tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I presume that hospitals share a database, whereas dentists don't.

Why not?

A Dentist drilling a hole in my mouth can be fatal so why not ask my religion for my last rites?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Why not?

A Dentist drilling a hole in my mouth can be fatal so why not ask my religion for my last rites?:confused:

If a dentist drilled a hole in your mouth, you'd be taken to hospital, where they would ask you what religion you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Why not?

Because he could just keep drilling and save himself the trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Because if you lose your teeth, you'll just have a gummy smile :D

• Advertisement

Because a dentist doesn't care about your hospital records.
    The hospital is keeping your records updated so the next time you come in you don't need to answer more questions. It's quite simple administration practice tbh

So you base it on records, a dentist should care as after all they use a drill against my head. That can be fatal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I've just explained why! Updating your records for future reference, thats all. Unlikely the dentist will need to know. Possible the hospital will. Simple as.

No conspiracy, no-one gives a **** what you believe but they do want to have your personal beliefs (theist or atheist) respected in a situation that you would not be able to express them. What on earth is wrong with that?

Why not?

Because they would then send you to a hospital who would have your religion on file so they could then find someone to administer your last rites. A dentist would not let you die in his office, he would send you for treatment.

Your arguing against a very simple and logical practice.

And in response to the deathbed question. People change their minds in certain situations, happened to my father when I was sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So you base it on records, a dentist should care as after all they use a drill against my head. That can be fatal :eek:

Holy crap... I feel like drilling a hole in your head now... you stubborn git!!! :D

Should something happen they would send you to a hospital

• Advertisement

That post explains a great deal.

Holy crap... I feel like drilling a hole in your head now... you stubborn git!!! :D
    Should something happen they would send you to a hospital

I wouldn't be able to speak?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you taking the mick?

I was in to get a nonlife threatening examination and there was no need to ask my religion unless the doctors planned to kill me! :mad:
    Hospitals keep files on people and its best to keep a single file, not a new file for each complaint / procedure. Who knows, the next time you are admitted, maybe it will be life threatening.

And they would already have your religion on your records considering you've just told the fracture clinic. :P

And if they didn't you would be considered an emergency patient and either try contact a family member to fill in the forms for you or try care for you and get you to fill in the forms later

Unconscious /dead people generally have difficulty communicating. Were you not aware of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

That sounds like hell to me... full of hippies, crusties & hipsters. :p

Ah...this Glastonbury is "golden pass" Glastonbury.
    You don't get any of that shite there...and it has actual toilets.

robinph wrote: »
    If they don't want treating then get out of the hospital.

Is the hospital only for 'special' people with a specific ideology? I'm by no means J.W. love modern science and advancements in medical science, but it doesn't come at a 'cost' of signing away the patients whole person, and saying fcuk that they're in 'hospital' now I own them..

That's the idea of signing the damn form and the docs nurses etc. knowing exactly how to deal with said patient, if it becomes life or death it moves to another level, but it's just a 'form' when you are admitted no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Why ask it only in a hospital on a non-life threatening examination?

Why not ask it in a dentist?

Dentists don't have chaplains, hospitals do, so it's standard procedure for them.

I'm part vegetarian!

Victor wrote: »
    Hospitals keep files on people and its best to keep a single file, not a new file for each complaint / procedure. Who knows, the next time you are admitted, maybe it will be life threatening.

Eh, you saying something here?!
    And they would already have your religion on your records considering you've just told the fracture clinic. :P

And if they didn't you would be considered an emergency patient and either try contact a family member to fill in the forms for you or try care for you and get you to fill in the forms later

It was a non-life threatening procedure!
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Unconscious /dead people generally have difficulty communicating. Were you not aware of that?

No.
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Dentists don't have chaplains, hospitals do, so it's standard procedure for them.

Why don't dentist have chaplains, drilling into someone's head is freakily scary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

next time you're asked ,make up a bizarre religion and explain it in depth to them.Make them sorry for asking

In Soviet Russia, life threatens you!

Eh, you saying something here?!

No.

Why don't dentist have chaplains, drilling into someone's head is freakily scary!

Be scared, be very scared mwah ha ha...

..just sign the damn form!

lol..

gurramok, if your dentist is drilling into your head instead of your teeth it explains why you seem incapable of understanding why a hospital would ask what your religious beliefs are for future reference. Are you sure your dentist didn't ask you what religion you are, maybe s/he hates atheists, or is a boardsie, maybe?

gurramok, if your dentist is drilling into your head instead of your teeth it explains why you seem incapable of understanding why a hospital would ask what your religious beliefs are for future reference. Are you sure your dentist didn't ask you what religion you are, maybe s/he hates atheists, or is a boardsie, maybe?

Hey, i ain't gonna suffer extreme pain for no reason?!

If a dentist who drills into my head never asks me my last rites, what hope is there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

orourkeda wrote: »
    People may object to certain treatments on religous grounds so on that basis the hospital may ask in order to know how best to proceed.

"How best to proceed" is a medical consideration, not a religious one.
    I have no major objection to this question being asked of a adult (Adults who jeopardise their health on religious grounds being potential recipients of a Darwin Award).
    However, I know from experience that this question is also asked of parents on behalf of their kids. It is disturbing that the health of children is put at risk because of the superstitious beliefs of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

It is disturbing that the health of children is put at risk because of the superstitious beliefs of their parents.

It isnt. In life saving/health-preserving situations, doctors are entitled & obliged to over-ride a parents wishes.

Gurramock, when you wake up tomorow, go and make another dental appointment. Their is obviously some more drilling to be done.:rolleyes:

Gurramock, when you wake up tomorow, go and make another dental appointment. Their is obviously some more drilling to be done.:rolleyes:

Huh?

My head is fine thanks :P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

drkpower wrote: »
    It isnt. In life saving/health-preserving situations, doctors are entitled & obliged to over-ride a parents wishes.

In recent years doctors have had to go to court to get permission to give certain medical procedures (bloods transfusions/transplants) to children of Jehovahs Witnesses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement