Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

lmaopml wrote: »
    If you ever sat beside somebody actually dying than all of those things, the forms they signed etc. etc. are of little consequence....people just do their best, medical staff and patients with communication.

..but perhaps of more consequence to those actually 'lying there'...lucky you seem to be fit and healthy and 'shocked' enough to rant about it.

I have yet to hear of somebody who isn't very 'dramatic' with lots of energy to pronounce on the internet their distaste of an individual who visited them - MOST IMPORTANTLY IF....they didn't want to 'sign' the form or their next of kin didn't...

Sign the silly form, no point complaining afterwards..

Fkuk that, people try to convince everybody every single day of the week that their opinion is 'very' important! Even you, with your 'dignity' after being tread on so much :rolleyes:

People are different sometimes! Fact!

Why should I change my view about religion while on my deathbed? You and feelingstressed never answered that question,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Theres one thing to be said for the nuns running hospitals, at least the bloody places were clean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

gurramok wrote: »
    Are you taking the mick?

I was in to get a nonlife threatening examination and there was no need to ask my religion unless the doctors planned to kill me! :mad:

You may have been in for a non life threatening examination but what if the doctor decided you needed emergency surgery to reset the fractured bone and you took a bad reaction to the anesthetic or he cut a vein/artery and needed to give a blood transfusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Here's a thought, if you were that taken aback at being asked, why didn't you wait for a few seconds, regain your composure and ask the receptionist why she needed to know that? Would have answered your question much quicker than posting a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Why should I change my view about religion while on my deathbed? You and feelingstressed never answered that question,

If you sign the silly form the nun might not be so inclined to visit you...believe it or not, some people 'like' having a nun visit or a priest or a pastor or vicar or whatever the heck. Sign the form, be honest and not in 'SHOCK', and move on...

..be glad you're posting on the net now too!

It's just a form gurramok, fill it in, be honest, the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You may have been in for a non life threatening examination but what if the doctor decided you needed emergency surgery to reset the fractured bone and you took a bad reaction to the anesthetic or he cut a vein/artery and needed to give a blood transfusion?

Then I'd expect them to give the blood transfusion regardless of what version of the easter bunny I preferred.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Are you taking the mick?

I was in to get a nonlife threatening examination and there was no need to ask my religion unless the doctors planned to kill me! :mad:

YES BUT THEY NEED TO ASK BECAUSE ITS PROCEDURE AND IF THEY DIDNT YOU WOULD HAVE PEOPLE GOING "WHY THE FCUK DIDNT THEY ASK ME/HIM/HER WHAT RELIGION I/THEY WERE, ITS ONLY 1 SINGLE BLEEDIN' QUESTION".
    they arent just asking for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Then he would ask you if you wanted a blood transfusion.
    And if you were unconcious, he would give you the blood transfusion.

What religon you are does not answer the question of whether you want a blood transfusion.

Too many what if's there. Its a frigging fracture examination, usually fractures are put in a cast and never need a blood transfusion. Never on my deathbed i tell ya!
    If you sign the silly form the nun might not be so inclined to visit you...believe it or not, some people 'like' having a nun visit or a priest or a pastor or vicar or whatever the heck. Sign the form, be honest and not in 'SHOCK', and move on...

..be glad you're posting on the net now too!

It's just a form gurramok, fill it in, be honest, the end.

Can I just choose a non-religious person?

Still waiting for an explanation why my views would change whilst on my deathbed?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've always said that I'll be an atheist till the day I die.

But on the day I die, I plan to repent & accept God.... you know, just in case.

I mean who wants to spend eternity in the burning flames of Hell?

:p

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Then I'd expect them to give the blood transfusion regardless of what version of the easter bunny I preferred.

That's really easy to say afterwards, and sometimes it's not! They ask the question on the 'form' for a reason, a very good reason...whether you believe it's the Easter bunny or no is of little consequence to others in a life or death situation...

Do you think they shouldn't 'ask' the question so? It's all 'beside the point'..

That's another debate my friend! This is about signing a simple form and not being 'shocked'..!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oh get over it. There are many reasons, like some Jewish bloodlines have very specific hereditary medical conditions. A muslim man migh have specific requests/needs. A Jehovas wittness will have certain requests/needs. Many hospitals have a pastoral services form various Churches and people might like to have a nun, priest or pastor visit them.

Seriously, get off your high horse, its not like they tattooed a star on your forehead or singled out out for special attention. You sound like the type of person who would get offended by a co-worker wearing a crucifix.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It's perfectly acceptable and increasingly common to repy "no religion/atheist" to that question. I can assure you the person recording your information couldn't give a **** what you are.

Another f*cking religion thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

robinph wrote: »

You might but a Jehovah Witness might not.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Oh get over it. There are many reasons, like some Jewish bloodlines have very specific hereditary medical conditions. A muslim man migh have specific requests/needs. A Jehovas wittness will have certain requests/needs. Many hospitals have a pastoral services form various Churches and people might like to have a nun, priest or pastor visit them.

Seriously, get off your high horse, its not like they tattooed a star on your forehead or singled out out for special attention. You sound like the type of person who would get offended by a co-worker wearing a crucifix.

It was NOT a life saving situation so NO need to ask me that question. Its ridicoulous that a public service would ask me that question on a routine examination.

Actually, what I went to today was equivalent to going to a dentist on a non-life threatening level. Did a dentist ever ask the religion question?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I bet that form asked for your gender too. Did you not find that odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I've always said that I'll be an atheist till the day I die.

But on the day I die, I plan to repent & accept God.... you know, just in case.

I mean who wants to spend eternity in the burning flames of Hell?

:p

Dude...Atheists don't go to hell...they go to the Glastonbury in the sky. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You might but a Jehovah Witness might not.

If they don't want treating then get out of the hospital.

bronte wrote: »
    Dude...Atheists don't go to hell...they go to the Glastonbury in the sky. :pac:

That sounds like hell to me... full of hippies, crusties & hipsters. :p

• Advertisement

Another f*cking religion thread?

And another 'shocked' and 'appalled' non religious person posted it!

I don't know about you, but I'm just fcuking shocked and appalled! :P

And another 'shocked' and 'appalled' non religious person posted it!

I don't know about you, but I'm just fcuking shocked and appalled! :P

due/dudette :D, you never answered why would I change my views about religion on my deathbed?

Is there something everyone else should know? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It was NOT a life saving situation so NO need to ask me that question. Its ridicoulous that a public service would ask me that question on a routine examination.

Actually, what I went to today was equivalent to going to a dentist on a non-life threatening level. Did a dentist ever ask the religion question?!

Because as someone already said, it's the same form wherever you are. It goes on your file and they could need that information at some stage. It's just a routine question why the big deal?!

Sure I got asked that on my college registration, I just answered the question and got on with it

All hospitals want to have accurate, pertinent patient info colated together in one set of notes. Clearly, your religion was not previously recorded on your notes and the person was updating your records. You may have only been attending a fracture clinic on this occasion but your next visit to the hospital may be for an emergency situation. Now, it doesn't matter to you if you are lying in a resucitation room, unable to communicate your relgious preferences but to many people of different religions it is extremely important to have an offical of their religion present if they are dying. By and large, hospitals will try and faciltate this when they can. Converesly, I would imagine that the presence of a priest delivering last rites ( or whatever equivalant) to you, should the unfortunate situation arise, is not something that you would appreciate. By stating that you are atheist the staff have the relevant info to respect your wishes.

Does it really bother you that much that a hospital try and facilitate the needs of people this way?

due/dudette :D, you never answered why would I change my views about religion on my deathbed?

Is there something everyone else should know? :confused:

No! Of course not, just don't be so 'shocked' that you sign a form...

it ask's questions, you answer.

Simple!

No need for dramatics, there are enough dramatics everyday in every hospital all over the country as people expire, religious or no!

It's just a form, you will fill them in many, many, many times, cause 'people' are different. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Sardonicat wrote: »

Does it really bother you that much that a hospital try and facilitate the needs of people this way?

It does! By Dawkins they should have the fear of Nogod beat into them! I take this very serious. Nobody should be allowed this kind of codology in today's modern atheist age!

:P

It does! By Dawkins they should have the fear of Nogod beat into them! I take this very serious. Nobody should be allowed this kind of codology in today's modern atheist age!

LOL!

By Blessed Science, you are right!

Because as someone already said, it's the same form wherever you are. It goes on your file and they could need that information at some stage. It's just a routine question why the big deal?!

Sure I got asked that on my college registration, I just answered the question and got on with it

Why ask it only in a hospital on a non-life threatening examination?

Why not ask it in a dentist?

• Advertisement

Why ask it only in a hospital on a non-life threatening examination?

Why not ask it in a dentist?

I presume that hospitals share a database, whereas dentists don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement