Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Happy that online saves from consoles will carry over to next gen and PC :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Bah, Feedly is down due to a DDoS attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Bah, Feedly is down due to a DDoS attack.
    It's an attempted extortion, but Feedly isn't biting: http://blog.feedly.com/2014/06/11/denial-of-service-attack/

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

With 'The Machine,' HP May Have Invented a New Kind of Computer
    That’s what they’re calling it at HP Labs: “the Machine.” It’s basically a brand-new type of computer architecture that HP’s engineers say will serve as a replacement for today’s designs, with a new operating system, a different type of memory, and superfast data transfer. The company says it will bring the Machine to market within the next few years or fall on its face trying. “We think we have no choice,” says Martin Fink, the chief technology officer and head of HP Labs, who is expected to unveil HP’s plans at a conference Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,909 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

HP crap, crap computers, crap everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Actually no, they're not. They have some really cool portable stuff. Their Split X2 is a really nifty little machine, for instance.

In fairness, most entry-level OEM desktops are junk, not just HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

If anyone is interested in a
    MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING mobo
    Intel Core i5-4670K
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i

All mint condition and well in warranty, send me a pm
    Need to sell asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Headshot wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in a
    MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING mobo
    Intel Core i5-4670K
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i

All mint condition and well in warranty, send me a pm
    Need to sell asap
    If only you where in dublin :P

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    If only you where in dublin :P

I can always post

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it me or current GPU lines dragging on forever... I really want to see new GPU lines. I am itching on upgrading my GPU and getting ready for 4k 21:9 monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Looks like TSMC 20nm fabs are now at full volume production and have sorted issues they have been having, so hopefully the 800 series from nvidia land before the end of the year like some are speculating.
    I have a pain in my hole waiting-no point changing from 780's to 780ti's. Still have my trusty 2500k, want to upgrade there will be x99 and 5820K-no sign of that either. And to cap it all I had a LG 34UM95 ordered from shagging overclockers, by the time they processed my Vat no. they were out of stock again..fuuuuuuu:mad:

Can't understand why Scan can't get them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Is it me or current GPU lines dragging on forever... I really want to see new GPU lines. I am itching on upgrading my GPU and getting ready for 4k 21:9 monitor.

No it's not just yourself. I feel like I've been waiting an age for the release of the Nvidia 800 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Online shoppers across Europe now have new rights
    Previously, anyone who bought a product online was allowed seven business days during which they were able to change their mind and return the product for a full refund. This ‘cooling-off period’, during which a refund can be requested without being required to give a reason for the cancellation, has now been extended to fourteen calendar days from the date on which the goods are received.
    For the first time, laws have also been introduced to offer a cooling-off period for digital content, including music, films and books, as BBC News reports. Consumers may now cancel an order for digital content within fourteen days, but only if they have not downloaded it. Once the download begins, the right to cancel is surrendered. Retailers must provide advance notice of this, and consumers must provide their acknowledgement and consent to these conditions prior to the start of the download.
    Additionally, the new laws prevent companies from charging extortionate rates for customer services calls after the sale. In the United Kingdom, some firms had previously charged up to £0.41 GBP (€0.51 EUR / $0.70 USD) per minute for calls by customers making enquiries or complaints after their purchase; companies will now be forbidden from charging more than local rates for post-purchase calls, but they may still charge higher rates for calls made before the purchase.

glynf wrote: »
    Looks like TSMC 20nm fabs are now at full volume production and have sorted issues they have been having, so hopefully the 800 series from nvidia land before the end of the year like some are speculating.
    I have a pain in my hole waiting-no point changing from 780's to 780ti's. Still have my trusty 2500k, want to upgrade there will be x99 and 5820K-no sign of that either. And to cap it all I had a LG 34UM95 ordered from shagging overclockers, by the time they processed my Vat no. they were out of stock again..fuuuuuuu:mad:

Can't understand why Scan can't get them:confused:

I am still on 2500k, but I hardly see any point in upgrading that. It will do me ages, considering I did not bothered to push it and kept it on 4.2ghz. Its a cracker of CPU!
    My gtx 680 is still perfect for 1080p, but I do use triple monitor setup for driving sims. Asseto Corsa could do with little bit more horse power.
    Then again, my ultimate goal is to get that new 3440x1440 monitor setup. That LG bad boy or any of its cheaper competition monitors. So getting new GPU first would make sense. Specially when there will be a good jump from 6 series to 8 series ( or any of the AMD new stuff ). Buying something like 780 or 780ti just does not make sense for me.

The 2500k is a dinger of a chip indeed, mine clips away at 4.2 as well and barely hits 23 dec C on idle with a H80 :)

AOC are releasing a similar one in July, be interesting if it will be cheaper than the LG. Not sure if I will be happy with 60hz again but it looks like an absolute beauty of a panel.

glynf wrote: »
    The 2500k is a dinger of a chip indeed, mine clips away at 4.2 as well and barely hits 23 dec C on idle with a H80 :)

AOC are releasing a similar one in July, be interesting if it will be cheaper than the LG. Not sure if I will be happy with 60hz again but it looks like an absolute beauty of a panel.

Awesome. I really hope they will price it right. We need more of these monitors for competition.
    Looks like 1440p monitors dropping in price nicely too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

Pfft. I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift before I get into driving sims....flying sims....space sims....MMO's........

Basically waiting for OR before I get back into gaming full stop. You can keep your gsync tri screen setups. ;)

Calibos wrote: »
    Pfft. I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift before I get into driving sims....flying sims....space sims....MMO's........

Basically waiting for OR before I get back into gaming full stop. You can keep your gsync tri screen setups. ;)

Well, when I get that 34inch monitor, I will cut back my 3 monitor setup in to 34+secondary. I am going to get oculus rift for racing sims too. I tried it with Asseto Corsa and it was awesome.

• Advertisement

Interesting WSGF interview here with AMD discussing mixed resolution eyefinity, I would give my left ball for a 3440 x 1440 centre screen and two 2560 x 1440 sides at 120hz/g sync/adaptive sync.

Reality check is the GPU's required to run it 12.3 million pixels..no harm in dreaming though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

Calibos wrote: »

I'm also waiting for the rift, I wouldn't say no to one of those monitors either though.

I'll also be retiring my Home Cinema projector and screen when we get a 4K CV2 Rift.

I've been happy with my aging 720P Panasonic projector on my 80x45" 16:9 screen sitting 12ft away for yonks. A 1080P PJ I tried was better but my 720 did not disgrace itself at that screen size and viewing distance and I would be happy with that apparent pixel density going forward. The Screen area/FOV I get from that screen and seating distance is the same apparent FOV one gets sitting middle row centre in a real Cinema.

A 4K Rift should be capable of giving a Virtual Cinema screen that same Apparent FOV the same 1280x720 pixels. ie. PQ/Pixel density I would find acceptable.

The difference with the Rift though is that kitting the family out with 7 Rifts will actually be cheaper than the price of a decent PJ and screen. No need for dedicated Cinema room. No need to compromise on aesthetics of a multi purpose living room or the room layout to accomodate a projector and screen. No need to Pull the Curtains to watch a movie during the day. No need to wait till 10Pm after sunset during the Summer to watch a movie. One only needs to place the Rift head tracking camera between your speakers (if not using headphones) to lock the Virtual screen between your speakers. Thats the only room layout consideration one needs to make.

With VR Cinema in the rift one has perfect black out. The OLED screen delivers perfect blacks and massive contrast ratio. You can watch 3D movies in the Rift that are full brightness unlike the reduced brightness on a TV, Home Projector or Cinema with the 3D glasses. In the Rift, 3D movies exhibit Zero crosstalk.

Then of course there is the fact that despite the AFOV being the same with your Home Cinema Projector and screen as centre row centre seat in a real Cinema, the scale of a real auditorium with a 500 seat capacity and the 60ft wide screen has the effect of making watching a movie in a real cinema just seem much more larger than life despite the AFOV being exactly the same as your home setup. The Rift and the deep subconcious sensation of presence it achieves brings this sense of scale right into your home, something which your Home Cinema projector could never do. You feel like you are actually sitting in a Savoy No. 1 scale auditorium with the resultant affect that has on how you perceive the exact same AFOV you had with your Home Cinema projector.

Or how about downloading a themed auditorium to watch the movie. Planning a Batman Trilogy binge. Download the Batcave Cinema auditorium. Going to watch the Great Gatsby? Download the 30's Luxury Art Deco Theater AUditorium theme etc etc.

VR Cinema is going to destroy large screen TV and Projector manufacturers. Have a much greater affect on Real Cinema audience numbers than Home Cinema ever did. Its probably going to drive more Rift Sales in the medium/long term than VR Gaming. If VR gaming was the only use for VR only one or two of the kids in a given home might own one. When people see what VR Cinema brings to the table, Not only will little Jimmy in the home own one but little sister, mammy, daddy and granny and grandad will own one too.

The guy who created this DK1 Demo is now working for Oculus.

The DK1 demo proved the concept. The DK2 and possible even a 1440P CV1 might still not have the required resolution to reduce the Screendoor effect to an acceptable level but very likely a CV2 with 4K will deliver acceptable enough PQ that all but the most anal will happily swap their real Home Cinema Projectors for VR Cinema.

I anticipate Oculus putting a lot of effort and polish into their VR Cinema app for the reason that like the guy in the second video says, it's the perfect application to ease people into VR or give them an instant understanding of what VR is. A very real sense of being in the virtual space. It will be the perfect evangelising tool for helping mainstream to understand VR and grasp that it's not simply attaching a large mobile phone screen in front of their faces. It also the least GPU intensive VR application. A laptop could run it. At the moment even with a 780ti one can just about manage acceptable frame rates running the VR game demos at 1080p. Until GPUs get more powerful even those with monster gaming rigs will likely have to turn down detail levels or run the games at a lower than native Rift resolution. What hope do current mid range PC owners have with a 1440p or 4k Rift have? Well until powerful enough GPUs hit the price midrange they might 'ONLY' use their $300 Rifts for the most amazing Home Cinema experience they've ever had. That's worth the amazingly low Rift price of entry all by itself.

VR Cinema is coming and I for one can't bloody wait. Combine that use case with VR gaming and I'm literally creaming myself with anticipation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Above would have took me a week to write :D

Above would have took me a week to write :D

I'm a lover not a fighter, you're a reader not a typer.

It's lucky some of us can be arsed because imagine how useless the internet would be if it was all Twitter posts.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can't wait to try out an oculus rift. If I wear glasses would I need to have them on with the oculus? Is it like a screen or what way does it work. My eyes get strained enough as it is with the monitors an arms length away, and I'd end up with square eyes if I was focused a few inches from my face for the length of a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I had to have mine on. And that was a big problem.

With them on, the screens were far enough away from my eyes that I could see their edges. Completely ruined the immersion for me. Now, this was only a couple of quick demos; I couldn't go tinkering with it. I think you can adjust a few things in the headset to help with glasses, but I'm not sure.

Overall, I was actually very underwhelmed with the Rift. Was planning on picking up DK2. I'm probably just going to wait for the consumer version now, and even then, I'll want a good play around with someone else's before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Until GPUs get more powerful even those with monster gaming rigs will likely have to turn down detail levels or run the games at a lower than native Rift resolution. What hope do current mid range PC owners have with a 1440p or 4k Rift have? Well until powerful enough GPUs hit the price midrange they might 'ONLY' use their $300 Rifts for the most amazing Home Cinema experience they've ever had. That's worth the amazingly low Rift price of entry all by itself.

You'll be waiting about 5+ years for small 4K screens with 100hz anyway so the hardware might have time to catch up. They are struggling to do 100hz at 1080p on a screen that small as it is.

The RIFT and Morpheus are just a stepping stone I feel. This technology is not ready yet but it's cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Pretty cool vid, hope the price for DDR4 and SSDs are right when they come out for public:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

More Tek ;)

Really like the Atlas. Inverted ATX ftw. Im a bitfenix fan so Ill prolly grab a recon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement