Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    why did you sell the r9 290? :confused:It's somewhere between gtx 770 and 780 in terms of performance. Was it a reference card with too much noise/heat produced?

Its more or less the same as a 780. Much much stronger than a GTX 770

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

yawhat! wrote: »
    Its more or less the same as a 780. Much much stronger than a GTX 770

This. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Dat 5820 tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Russia wants to replace US computer chips with local processors
    Russia’s Industry and Trade Ministry plans to replace US microchips Intel and AMD, used in government’s computers, with domestically-produced micro processor Baikal in a project worth dozens of millions of dollars, business daily Kommersant reported Thursday.

The Baikal micro processor will be designed by a unit of T-Platforms, a producer of supercomputers, next year, with support from state defense conglomerate Rostec and co-financing by state-run technological giant Rosnano.

The first products will be Baikal M and M/S chips, designed on the basis of 64-bit nucleus Cortex A-57 made by UK company ARM, with frequency of 2 gigahertz for personal computers and micro servers.

The Baikal chips will be installed on computers of government bodies and in state-run firms, which purchase some 700,000 personal computers annually worth $500 million and 300,000 servers worth $800 million. The total volume of the market amounts to about 5 million devices worth $3.5 billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Big hit for intel/amd if it runs to conclusion

3x13_Development_Arrested_(08).png

I wonder if it has anything to do with the NSA. Hardware encryption back doors etc.

Edit: http://www.prisonplanet.com/intel-ceo-refuses-to-answer-questions-on-whether-nsa-can-access-processors.html

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Addled

just saw this over on maximumpc, really good news if you have a GCN radeon card!
    The "Gaming Evolved" Raptr client can now capture h.264 video in real time with minimal performance hit.

This is hardware accelerated using the Video Codec Engine on GCN based Radeon cards:

http://raptr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35035

I remember there was someone working on this as part of Radeon pro who has since been employed by
    Raptr so I guess this is the fruit of their labour:

http://www.radeonpro.info/2014/03/important-announcement-about-radeonpro/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I wonder if it has anything to do with the NSA. Hardware encryption back doors etc.

Edit: http://www.prisonplanet.com/intel-ceo-refuses-to-answer-questions-on-whether-nsa-can-access-processors.html

I'd say it has all to do with that and a growing mistrust of American based suppliers/manufacturers.

Any tips lads, a bit of a problem here. So I opened my PC, took out my GPU and reseated it. No biggie right? Just wanted to check something on my card (de dust it a bit).

Boot up PC again. Playing SC2. Audio starts to crackle and stop altogether. Thought it was the game. It affects the whole system. i reboot and reseat the audio jack in the motherboard. I get sound back but it's staticy and crackly. Now there is no sound whatsoever coming through either the mothersound audio port or the audio jack on my case (which is of course connected to my motherboard).

I updated my BIOS, my Realtek audio drivers, no joy. Cleaned out the ports. no joy. Any tips? The speakers are working correctly, I verifed that separately.

• Advertisement

Try uninstalling the Realtek drivers altogether and let Windows use the generic drivers. I haven't used them in years. At least if this doesn't work it should rule out a software problem. Another less than perfect solution is using the Graphics card audio on your HDMI port as a substitute. Just plug the speakers into the output on your monitor.

Try uninstalling the Realtek drivers altogether and let Windows use the generic drivers. I haven't used them in years. At least if this doesn't work it should rule out a software problem. Another less than perfect solution is using the Graphics card audio on your HDMI port as a substitute. Just plug the speakers into the output on your monitor.
    I don't have a speaker output on my monitor unfortunately, if that's what you mean. Not do I have an HDMI port on it - the main disadvatage to an otherwise great value one.

I could also get a cheapo usb sound card ob amazon (only 4 pounds).

But I would like to address this issue. I hope it's a software issue but given all the static and crackly stuff I experience before the sound completely stopped I've a feeling it's a hardware issue - although why it would happen after opening my case to reseat my GPU I just don't know.

I'll give the windows drivers a shot thanks.

No dice with the drivers :(. Hmmm. That sucks. I guess I'll have to grab one of those usb sound cards from amazon fot now and decide whether I want to do a motherboard RMA or not.

Ya, my HDMI monitor has a headphone port on the back. Have you overclocked the PC? In my experience overclocking can sometimes do funny things to a motherboard, especially when it's hot out. Back when I bought the board I'm using now the NIC stopped working with no apparent explanation. Dropped back the clock a bit an it magically started working again. You should have another look at the audio/USB etc. header connection on the board, just in case it has been dislodged when removing the card. The USB sound card would probably be a good solution but I would be concerned that the fault might not be only sound related. If it's a new board and you can live without the PC I would get it RMA'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I had issues with this machine with the Realtek on-board sound. I ended up needing to disable it and use a PCI sound card instead. Annoying but it just wasn't playing nice with the other components and updating drivers made things worse not better.

I had no luck with this board though, one pair of SATA ports failed also.

The card I use is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Express-Normalizer-Virtual-Speaker-Shifter/dp/B007RMMYFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403563505&sr=8-1&keywords=xonar

It's not too expensive at £25 and sounds just fine to be honest and does all the things I need it to do. The extra features are all pretty much ignorable, most people will never use them or tinker with the card once it's installed.

nesf wrote: »
    I had issues with this machine with the Realtek on-board sound. I ended up needing to disable it and use a PCI sound card instead. Annoying but it just wasn't playing nice with the other components and updating drivers made things worse not better.

I had no luck with this board though, one pair of SATA ports failed also.

The card I use is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Express-Normalizer-Virtual-Speaker-Shifter/dp/B007RMMYFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403563505&sr=8-1&keywords=xonar

It's not too expensive at £25 and sounds just fine to be honest and does all the things I need it to do. The extra features are all pretty much ignorable, most people will never use them or tinker with the card once it's installed.
    Did the onboard sound fail work for some time and then fail at some point? I've had this board for a year now and it has served me well until now.

I wonder if you did a Windows system restore to yesterday. It's a long shot but who knows.

Just thinking about what you were saying about crackling audio, and the only time I experienced this was with speakers that were powered over USB. The speakers were pluged into the green output port on the motherboard and If I plugged the USB power cord into my PC I got crackling audio, but If I used a USB wall plug I didn't get any interference. It's probably not relevant to your issue, but perhaps the crackling audio was power related and then it just failed as a result of it.

I wonder if you did a Windows system restore to yesterday. It's a long shot but who knows.

Just thinking about what you were saying about crackling audio, and the only time I experienced this was with speakers that were powered over USB. The speakers were pluged into the green output port on the motherboard and If I plugged the USB power cord into my PC I got crackling audio, but If I used a USB wall plug I didn't get any interference. It's probably not relevant to your issue, but perhaps the crackling audio was power related and then it just failed as a result of it.
    I'll give it a shot for sure, nothing to lose. My speakers are powered from the wall though, so no power problem.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Did the onboard sound fail work for some time and then fail at some point? I've had this board for a year now and it has served me well until now.

I was getting BSODs and system crashes. Different problem.

Your issue there sounds like the speakers weren't getting clean power from the USB socket on the keyboard for some reason (possibly there was too much power being drawn from the group of USB ports they keyboard was plugged into). You can get crackling sound from electrical interference and I've experienced this with on-board sound many years ago and more recently when a GPU was too close to a PCI card (due to a dual GPU set-up) and whenever this card was under heavy load there was a lot of interference in the sound. The sound wouldn't stop though.

• Advertisement

I wasn't powering the speakers through my keyboard, just out of a USB port on the back of my motherboard. I have a few USB hard drives, USB mouse, USB head phones, wireless keyboard receiver, an XBOX controller and a wireless USB NIC with a high gain antenna plugged in so almost every USB port used. Keyboard is old fashioned PS/2. Probably overloaded (PC can fail to boot if two hard drives are plugged in with everything else) and perhaps that could have caused the unclean power you speak of. I didn't test it extensively as I had a USB wall plug handy and that did the trick.

I wasn't powering the speakers through my keyboard, just out of a USB port on the back of my motherboard. I have a few USB hard drives, USB head phones, wireless keyboard receiver, an XBOX controller and a wireless USB NIC plugged in so almost every USB port used. Probably overloaded (PC can fail to boot if two hard drives are plugged in with everything else) and perhaps that could have caused the unclean power you speak of. I didn't test it extensively as I had a USB wall plug handy and that did the trick.

From what I remember, each gang of USB ports in a PC (usually groups of four at most) act like an external hub that's powered off of one port. So the maximum draw allowed is 500mA (2.5W at 5V) across the grouped ports which isn't that much if you're running multiple hard drives and similarly heavy power use (by USB standards) devices. Especially given speakers can draw a fair bit themselves usually.

Hey guys, any suggestions for a friend for a 150 euro monitor or less. I'm thinking a nice 22-24inch 1080p one, but I forget what we recommend as standard here! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Gumbi wrote: »
    Hey guys, any suggestions for a friend for a 150 euro monitor or less. I'm thinking a nice 22-24inch 1080p one, but I forget what we recommend as standard here! Thanks.

Something like this is fairly standard fare I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2450HM-Widescreen-Multimedia-Compatible/dp/B005OPLG0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403624637&sr=8-2&keywords=1080p+monitor

I suggested this, good price, plenty of reviews, nice size (don't wanna go higher than 24 inches for 1080p) and LED screen. Think I've all bases covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd try for an IPS panel if possible too (edit: I dont know if that Benq one is or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You have to pay a little over budget for the LG IPS panels: http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/60+cm+%2824%29+/150349/LG+24MB35PM-B.article

EDIT: That BenQ is a TN panel, not an IPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

This one is gonna be slightly over budget with delivery and its 23" but it has the AH-IPS LG panel,have the previous model and like it. As usual the LG stands are not great,probably its only defect imo

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/58+cm+%2823%29+/158494/LG+23MP65HQ-P.article

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Stretch for an IPS, it's totally worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Stretch for an IPS, it's totally worth it.

for sure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement