Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

We've a postcode system due next year. Don't buy anything 'til then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm really tempted to stick an envelope with a GPS tracker or something in it in a post box, and see where it gets with the following on the envelope:

"Mary"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bazzo wrote: »

Legend lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What kind of layout is this where it's missing the 10keys but still has the home, end, delete, insert, and print screen that I'd be unable to live without. 70%?

Something like: vPvlkeS.jpg
    Taken from
    (hooray it didn't break the page!)

I'd type loads of things for no reason if I had something like that

edit: seems they're just called tenkeyless, makes sense considering that's what I described them as originally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I wonder has any of you ever come across this issue. I've never bothered to truly diagnose it. I think it's a motherboard issue. But a software one more than anything else.

The problem is this. I boot up my computer. I load a game (Starcraft 2 almost certainly :D). I immediately notice extremely poor performance. As in, minimise all settings and I'm at 60 FPS (instead of several 100s) with appalling frame times. Close game. Load up Valley to confirm. My Valley at 720P (8x AA) gets 60 FPS roughly for the first few seconds (7950 is my GPU). I get 10FPS. Obviously horrific performance. My core clocks are fine. My GPU usage is fine.

Now here's the catch. A reboot fixes this. Every time. Somewhat regularly this issue occurs. Very anecdotally, I would imagine about 30% of the time (from a cold boot). Enough to be bothersome. I highly doubt it's a driver issue, I've gone through all the most recent drivers as they've been released in the past few months, and this issue has always stayed with me.

What could the issue be? Horrible GPU performance that a reboot fixes, and yet no downclocking, not GPU usage decrease, GPUZ shows my PCIE slot correctly. So no issues there?

Any suggestions as to diagnosing it? I'll get some screenshots of it soon if the issue crops up again.

PSU? Install AIDA64, I'm pretty sure that has voltage monitoring built in. Should hopefully give you an idea of it's the CPU/GPU getting weird power or something like that.

Serephucus wrote: »
    PSU? Install AIDA64, I'm pretty sure that has voltage monitoring built in. Should hopefully give you an idea of it's the CPU/GPU getting weird power or something like that.

When it crops up again I'll break out the monitoring software. I assumed it was a GPU issue due to the poor Valley performance, but all the readings are normal (core clocks, even temperature proves that the GPU is "performing work" - GPU usage % too).

Maybe the CPU is not receiving enough power... who knows. But I really think it's a GPU performance issue. If I have a keen eye I can see it in the SC2 menu screen - it's usually rendered at 60FPS, so I can easily spot when it's not at that for any period of time. Surely that's solely my GPU rendering that, negligible CPU usage there (espeically for a 4770k at 4.5ghz). I will get a performance boost if I OC my GPU too, but it's entirely irrelevant (12 FPS vs 10 FPS or w/e :P).

Have a SF Amazon 650watt bronze which has served me well for 3.5 years, system probably draws 400 watts at load maximally so it has never been overly stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If yous are in a diagnosing mood.

RAID0 comes up with an Error(0) on boot, the computer sits there for 10 seconds or so and then boots normally. it slows the boot time and such so I'd like to be rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Change the boot order. Got card readers plugged in? Or another hard drive could be the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Took this last night, so only got the one :)
    knUH3I3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

sounds like physical hardware issues or something is overriding your system setting (are you on some Power Saver mode on win7 power setting, set it to Full performance mode). Check if your gpu is properly connected to a 6pin (if there is one) or the power cables connect to your mofo securely. or can you do a quick check on the PSU. Otherwise i wonder if some bad ram can cause that, just take one ram out and test for error and do it for the other one.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    sounds like physical hardware issues or something is overriding your system setting (are you on some Power Saver mode on win7 power setting, set it to Full performance mode). Check if your gpu is properly connected to a 6pin (if there is one) or the power cables connect to your mofo securely. or can you do a quick check on the PSU. Otherwise i wonder if some bad ram can cause that, just take one ram out and test for error and do it for the other one.
    I'll definitely run those tests. Regarding the Power saver setting and pin connections on GPU - I doubt it, considering a restart always fixes the problem (I think I've had to reboot twice once or twice to fix it, but almost always a reboot instantly fixes it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Seeing as were looking at issues thought id throw one up. Arma 3 is crashing on me,from what i can make out its random. Two different drivers its been the same for as well. Got the latest AMD driver a few weeks ago when they finally released an official version hoping it would stop but no joy. Just get a no signal screen on monitor and thats it.

Can be playing 2 hours and it happens or could only last 20 mins before it happens.

Problem is its causing a hard freeze,have to power down and restart. Because of this the only error im getting is kernel power which is because of the restart but because of hard freeze i have no other info. Is there a dump file created in this situation? Its getting rather annoying.
    My money is on graphics drivers crashing but not sure what to do about ot

Also can program conflicts cause this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lads looking for a bit of help.

Anyone got one of these?
    http://www.xsfans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=937

Its for a gigabyte board.Im doing a build at the minute for my little brother and I have a board with a 6 core phenom spare.Only problem is I don't have a cooler....well I do have a cooler but no retention bracket for the board.

Or can anyone recommend a cooler that's am2 /am3 / am3 + compatible that I don't need a retention bracket for.

I know some after market coolers use their own mounting system.

Would prefer to collect in Dublin / Kildare rather than order online as Ive no patience :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Finally got my self a new monitor. I went with an Asus PA248Q
    delighted with it in terms of of quality its over shadowing the DEll and I think it could be as good as Ezios photographer/graphic design monitars its good great color reproduction its `100% accurate, I haven't had to calibrate it yet and well I'm delighted with it.

If you in that business its certainly worth looking at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone have screen tearing on Wolfenstein using amd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Am I right in thinking this would allow me to play my PS3 on my Dell U2312HM?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005H3I38Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because it just arrived and doesn't seem to work with the PS3 or even my MBP

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doesnt the PS3 do HDCP? I suspect such an adapter might fail to pass that signal on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Quick question when using a dual monitor setup with crossfire what exactly do I need in the way of connections? The video output is coming from a 7950 vapor X via HDMI. Didn't want to start a thread as its probably easily answered.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Doesnt the PS3 do HDCP? I suspect such an adapter might fail to pass that signal on.

Apparently so, but I've read of people doing it. I'll just get a DVI-HDMI connector. People are reporting success with those

Linus' review of BenQ's 32" 2560x1440 VA monitor. Think I might be ordering this once the price stabilises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

hdmi to dvi worked for me on ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Linus' review of BenQ's 32" 2560x1440 VA monitor. Think I might be ordering this once the price stabilises.

Looks okay, but LG monitor and 21:9 stole my heart and I cant see myself getting anything else. Just need to wait for it to drop from 799£ or get a cheaper competition.

hdmi to dvi worked for me on ps3

Thank you good sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Looks okay, but LG monitor and 21:9 stole my heart and I cant see myself getting anything else. Just need to wait for it to drop from 799£ or get a cheaper competition.

I have a Dell 29" 21:9 already but.... I want to go to there....

Maybe I a little while when they fall in price......

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone ever got a miss delivery from Parcel Motel?

I just got a notification about money needed for a €7 package(AKA a large one) and I haven't ordered anything to there recently :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone ever got a miss delivery from Parcel Motel?

I just got a notification about money needed for a €7 package(AKA a large one) and I haven't ordered anything to there recently :confused:

nope but log in to you parcel motel and you should be able to see a picture of the box might jog your memory or it might have a have a logo on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I was board so I decided to have a look at adverts to see if their was anything interesting on there. Has anyone else noticed the lack of decent computer equipment? Is this because of the fees? If so where would most people be selling their kit now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Looking for recommendations on a new keyboard and mouse, probably gonna be building a new rig when devils canyon drops but seriously gassing for some new stuff, currently using crappy dell keyboard and mouse

Have been looking at the corsair K70 keyboard with cherry reds and the M65 mouse

Never had a mech keyboard, are reds alright?

Anything else I should be looking at? Mainly play BF4, Skyrim, Far Cry and the likes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement