Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Serephucus wrote: »
    RE: Unique cases - Antec Skeleton!

LOL, that's the one I was just thinking of when unique was mentioned. The m-ITX version of it is kinda nice.

What about the Bitfenix Colossus (venom edition)? It's... erm... bright and shiny. When I saw it first I thought it was a bit WTF, but I think it could be nice. Still regular case shaped though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i got swtor today too. what ya think of it?

I like it well enough. It is quite single player in feeling but I don't mind that when levelling since I end up levelling solo a lot because of the weird hours I play due to insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    I like it well enough. It is quite single player in feeling but I don't mind that when levelling since I end up levelling solo a lot because of the weird hours I play due to insomnia.

i got bit more in to it. i have to agree with total biscuit - they just needed to make it single player game...

its still a good mmorpg, but i enjoy more of solo questing then doing something in group. thanks got for companion system!

i got bit more in to it. i have to agree with total biscuit - they just needed to make it single player game...

its still a good mmorpg, but i enjoy more of solo questing then doing something in group. thanks got for companion system!

That'll change when you hit the endgame and have a stable group of people to do group stuff with. This will decide whether you like group stuff or not.

Really don't judge an MMO by PuGing. :)

That'll change when you hit the endgame and have a stable group of people to do group stuff with. This will decide whether you like group stuff or not.

Really don't judge an MMO by PuGing. :)

ah, i have a very big WOW experience, so i know mmorpgs way of doing "it"

all my friends on old republic, theres already +10 of us, so we will see how it will go.

i did a pug of that first instance ( talos? ) and it was prety damn fun. there were 3 of us + companion.

i will do a thing that i newer do in mmorpgs... i am going for healer with empire agent. sniper one just not my cup of tea...

unfortunatly all the lads have waaaaaay higher levels then me as i started only today.

i just wonder one thing now: will i be playing this when diablo 3 comes out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Guys do you reckon skyrim should be playable on ultra at 1080p on a 6950 paired with a phenom x6 1090T?

Reason I ask this is because I bought the game the other day and I am getting massive fps dropwhen I turn the camera backwards suddenly. When I change the graphics settings to the high the game is playable though.

One of my friends recently upgraded to a i5 2500k system (with a 6850) and he is able to run it perfectly on ultra at 1080p. Would my phenom x6 be bottlenecking my card?

i just wonder one thing now: will i be playing this when diablo 3 comes out...

I don't know, I always take breaks from MMOs for different games at different points, usually just doing enough stuff in the MMO to raid twice a week or whatever.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Guys do you reckon skyrim should be playable on ultra at 1080p on a 6950 paired with a phenom x6 1090T?

Reason I ask this is because I bought the game the other day and I am getting massive fps dropwhen I turn the camera backwards suddenly. When I change the graphics settings to the high the game is playable though.

One of my friends recently upgraded to a i5 2500k system (with a 6850) and he is able to run it perfectly on ultra at 1080p. Would my phenom x6 be bottlenecking my card?

Skyrim is extremely hard on the CPU. To improve your framerate turn off shadows completely. Or get a better CPU. Turning off shadows is way cheaper though. :p

Also make sure you're using the 12.1 preview drivers not the 11.12 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Skyrim is extremely hard on the CPU. To improve your framerate turn off shadows completely. Or get a better CPU. Turning off shadows is way cheaper though. :p

Also make sure you're using the 12.1 preview drivers not the 11.12 drivers.

is 12.1 really that much better for skyrim? I've heard it absolutely destroys fps in Bf3, but i guesss once you start skyrim nothing else matters :P

Burgo wrote: »
    is 12.1 really that much better for skyrim? I've heard it absolutely destroys fps in Bf3, but i guesss once you start skyrim nothing else matters :P

12.1 has the Skyrim improvements, the last 11.x driver doesn't. If you're going Crossfire you need 12.1, 11.12 just doesn't have any of the performance improvements that the betas of 11.11 had. It's a very stable driver but it's sub-optimal for many new games.

Roll on 12.2 and hopefully some SWTOR improvements since it's my new poison since my Skyrim savegames got corrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Y U NO create a dozen backup saves at various points and hide them all around your HDD?!? You should know the games TES likes to play by now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

All I play is TF2, Quake Live and Tribes. TF2 is actually fairly high demand on CPU :(

Solitaire wrote: »
    Y U NO create a dozen backup saves at various points and hide them all around your HDD?!? You should know the games TES likes to play by now! :p

I was foolish and didn't think it could happen over a short time span. Or in other words I was lazy about setting backups up on an install that was just over 2 weeks old. :p

It's all backed up now though. ;)

Baza210 wrote: »
    All I play is TF2, Quake Live and Tribes. TF2 is actually fairly high demand on CPU :(

TF2 isn't that bad; being Source its simply very good at putting any spare power left hanging around on cores to good use ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

hey lads sorry to but in on your conversation :D but Iam in desperate need of a replacement 17.1" lcd screen for a HP Compaq pressario (I beleive thats the model) Do ye have a trading forum where I can place a wanted add for one? I ask as I cant afford a new one and would like to try and pick up a second hand one or cheap laptop that I can transfer the harddrive ram and cpu into :D appologies if this is inepropriate

Solitaire wrote: »
    TF2 isn't that bad; being Source its simply very good at putting any spare power left hanging around on cores to good use ;)

Valve-Comic.jpg

And this is the reason Valve are awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Okay quick question to post here and save me from opening a new thread.
    Is it bad to leave my PC on all the time? Its pretty much on all the time, I have a slow download speed so I often leave things downloading over night, its been on for 48hrs straight sometimes. I check the temps quite often and its usually around 30degrees so thats not too bad.

Also, anyone know if I will run up much of an ESB Bill leaving it on this much?
    I have a 550W PSU, I know it doesn't use the full 550W but hypothetically lets say it does, how much would it cost me to leave it on 24hrs straight?
    Thanks for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Also, anyone know if I will run up much of an ESB Bill leaving it on this much?
    I have a 550W PSU, I know it doesn't use the full 550W but hypothetically lets say it does, how much would it cost me to leave it on 24hrs straight?
    Thanks for any help.

€2.40 or so.
    That's fairly rough, but a kWh price of 18c gives me that result.

At idle you would be using far far less than 550 W. Probably less than 100 W.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    At idle you would be using far far less than 550 W. Probably less than 100 W.

Depends on gear, but should be less than 100W if the display is asleep. With display awake it'll be closer to 200W if not above that. Depends hugely on processor and GPU though. Some don't scale down well when not being used much.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Is there/What is the difference between the i5-2500k LGA 1155 6MB (Dabs) and the i5-2500 LGA 1155 6MB (Hardwareversand) apart from 30 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The non-K 2500 doesn't allow you to overclock. For the sake of €30, I'd be getting the K version all the time. Can't see a reason not to, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Bonesy. wrote: »
    Is there/What is the difference between the i5-2500k LGA 1155 6MB (Dabs) and the i5-2500 LGA 1155 6MB (Hardwareversand) apart from 30 euro?

Hardwareversand also sell the K version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You also need a P67 or Z68 chipset motherboard to overclock them.
    H61 and H67 won't overclock.

Edit: It's €18 cheaper on komplett than dabs. Price will be going up tomorrow with the VAT increase.
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/21_CPU/01_INT1155/productdetails/20070433/Intel_Core_i5_2500K_3_3GHz_6MB_S1155/BX80623I52500K/default.aspx

Monotype wrote: »
    You also need a P67 or Z68 chipset motherboard to overclock them.
    H61 and H67 won't overclock.

Edit: It's €18 cheaper on komplett than dabs. Price will be going up tomorrow with the VAT increase.
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/21_CPU/01_INT1155/productdetails/20070433/Intel_Core_i5_2500K_3_3GHz_6MB_S1155/BX80623I52500K/default.aspx
    Would this http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43133&agid=1601 be compatible with Vista?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Yes it's vista compatible - see operating system at the very bottom: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3

why would you inflict Vista on yourself though?:confused:

duffman85 wrote: »
    Yes it's vista compatible - see operating system at the very bottom: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3

why would you inflict Vista on yourself though?:confused:
    I know Vista is BRUTAL. But my mate works with computers and he has spare Vista Ultimate product keys/ liscences? But no spare 7's at the moment because it's quite new, but I will definately be shortly upgrading to 7 :)

any gossips on when windows 8 will be out?

• Advertisement

any gossips on when windows 8 will be out?
    Wiki says sometime around 2012, not sure when exactly though, Beta is out in Febuary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement