Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There's a file manager in FSD, it will copy across your files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Also try only copy across your content, not currently running stuff like FSD {if using FSD} as it will obviously give an error due to the file{s} being already open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I tried the file manager and I get "Can not copy to or from root folders" I'll keep at it.

edit: sorted hold RB in stead of LB :)

Welcome back JTAG!

So you want to R-JTAG your Xbox 360...

255889.JPG

They claim this is a brand new exploit?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    They claim this is a brand new exploit?

It is a mixture of the old and the new. From my understanding the old KK shader exploit (or one just like it) has been re-enabled through some reset-based hackery. I believe the RGH and RGH2 are dead in the water because of this; apparently its reliability and boot times are far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi lads, Thought I'd just post this here...sorry but it seemed like the most suitable thread..

Have an old xbox 360( 2006 model ). I would say and it hasn't been online much.

It originally had the 3 red rings, I repaired it myself and it worked away grand. Only turned it on recently to find out that the fans go mental and it shuts down.( 2 red rings)

Would I get much for it if I sell it? Any other options for it?

Since it's a 2006 model it most likely doesn't have HDMI and is a Xenon (first gen) Phat console. You can get a proper fix done (a reball with lead solder) for around €50 and it might last a fair bit longer or you could sell it in its condition which may net your €25 and put it towards a more recent model, new or second hand.

Since it's a 2006 model it most likely doesn't have HDMI and is a Xenon (first gen) Phat console. You can get a proper fix done (a reball with lead solder) for around €50 and it might last a fair bit longer or you could sell it in its condition which may net your €25 and put it towards a more recent model, new or second hand.

Sorry meant to be a quesation mark after that 2006 model claim, it does have a hdmi though but it is definitely an older model.

Ok for 25 euro I think I will hold onto it. What possible modding could I do for it then? Not too sure of the firmware on it! I have no interest in putting it online but I'd like to get some other use out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Sorry meant to be a quesation mark after that 2006 model claim, it does have a hdmi though but it is definitely an older model.

Ok for 25 euro I think I will hold onto it. What possible modding could I do for it then? Not too sure of the firmware on it! I have no interest in putting it online but I'd like to get some other use out of it!

I wouldn't invest any more time/money into it any fixes reballing/reflowing are essentially patch fixes and while they might work for a while your just throwing cash at a console that was flawed to begin with and the problems will resurface again.

If I were you I would buy a Slim Xbox 360, recent advances in the modding scene mean that pretty much any Slim you buy off the shelves can be modded in one way or another.

• Advertisement

I did a little research on it and it has BenQ VAD6038 drive with white wires and a HDMI port. 16.5A so apparently it is a zephyr.....just in case it may have been worth anything! (2007 model)

I don't want to buy a new xbox at all as I'm confident I could get it running again.

I want to begin seeing what I can still do with the xbox in terms of modifying it....or is it completely useless for modding? I'm a complete noob at this stuff but have an interest in it.

You said that there were 'recent advances in the modding scene'. What sites do ye check out to stay up to date with this stuff? thanks

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    I did a little research on it and it has BenQ VAD6038 drive with white wires and a HDMI port. 16.5A so apparently it is a zephyr.....just in case it may have been worth anything! (2007 model)

I don't want to buy a new xbox at all as I'm confident I could get it running again.

I want to begin seeing what I can still do with the xbox in terms of modifying it....or is it completely useless for modding? I'm a complete noob at this stuff but have an interest in it.

You said that there were 'recent advances in the modding scene'. What sites do ye check out to stay up to date with this stuff? thanks

The Xbox 360 has been pretty much cracked open, your options for modding it are;

1) Flashing the DVD firmware with custom firmware, probably the cheapest mod but you'll end up buying lots of "consumables" so you could argue that's its the most expensive mod in the long run.

2) An optical disc drive emulator like Xkey, this will allow your Xbox to connect to an external hard drive.

3) A favourite among modders, the ability to run unsigned code via JTAG/RGH/RJTAG;

JTAG refers to an exploit that could be carried out on an Xbox with a dashboard of 2.0.7371 or lower. This was later patched after 2.0.7371.

RGH(Reset Glitch Hack) by exploiting the CPU with a mod chip you could run unsigned code on any dashboard up to 2.0.15574*

*recent advances mean that any dashboard can now be exploited by RGH/RJTAG.

RJTAG is an optimised version of RGH. RGH boot times were often unreliable on certain versions of Xbox 360; zephyr, falcon, jasper so RJTAG was developed to minimise boot times.

RJTAG is a term coined by Team Xecuter and aims to get to close to instant boot times (as in JTAG) as possible. JTAG/RGH/RJTAG all achieve the same result - the ability to run unsigned code on your Xbox 360; basically you can run custom dashboards, emulators and connect an external hard drive for extra storage.

Options 1 and 2 mean you can still use the console online, with option 3 if you still want access to Xbox Live you need a Dual NAND solution.

0391AFD29E69440DA28A4D97AF51DFC5.jpg

I've got a DMS4 Pro mod chip here for PS2 if anybody wants it, I likely won't get around to installing it as I have softmodded the PS2.

justryan wrote: »
    0391AFD29E69440DA28A4D97AF51DFC5.jpg

I've got a DMS4 Pro mod chip here for PS2 if anybody wants it, I likely won't get around to installing it as I have softmodded the PS2.

I'd like that JR, how much?

I'd like that JR, how much?

Great no charge just PM me your address :)

Great no charge just PM me your address :)

Ah fair dues man, I owe ya one! :) Now, to convince TouchingVirus that it'd be a great idea to install this in a PS2 for me...

Ah fair dues man, I owe ya one! :) Now, to convince TouchingVirus that it'd be a great idea to install this in a PS2 for me...

I hear its a PITA and I'm happy enough with the soft mod so no point in keeping it if I'm not gonna use it

I hear its a PITA and I'm happy enough with the soft mod so no point in keeping it if I'm not gonna use it

Yeah I steer clear of chipping PS2's, my success rate isn't great with them. Tis a job for someone more skilled in wielding the iron that I am :o

Yeah I steer clear of chipping PS2's, my success rate isn't great with them. Tis a job for someone more skilled in wielding the iron that I am :o

Wire placement is especially important and they have to be specific wire lengths so its not for me :)

Wire placement is especially important and they have to be specific wire lengths so its not for me :)

Really? Jeez I thought that was only RGH territory.

• Advertisement

Really? Jeez I thought that was only RGH territory.

Yeah this is a different ball game to noob friendly glitch chips

You called? :p

You called? :p

I'll have to pick up a PS2 first, no way I'm sending my silver one in for surgery {as if it's worth one...million dollars or something!}. But yeah, I will be calling TV ...soon :)

soon_meme_collection_640_14.jpg

Exactly ;)

soon_meme_collection_640_14.jpg

Lol, do the hardwired PS2 mod chips have any advantage over a regular soft mod?

They direct boot imports, whereas with a softmod you have to either rip, patch & reburn or else rip to hdd afaik

As EnterNow pointed out they're just mildly more convenient for out of region games. One is as good as the other really but the softmod would be the safer option :P

They direct boot imports, whereas with a softmod you have to either rip, patch & reburn or else rip to hdd afaik

Sweet it's on the way enjoy, best of luck TV :)

• Advertisement

Chip landed today, thanks again JR :cool:

Advertisement