Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Crimbouser wrote: »
    Cats just have a mind of their own and aren't really pack animals. They're affectionate and loyal but they aren't annoyingly people pleasing.
    Can depend on the individual cat or dog. Some dog breeds can be very aloof. Huskies as one example. They can be very independent. Part of the breeds history was that they were used as pack animals in winter, but released into the wild in summer. Some individual cats can be very cloying. Constantly mewing looking for attention and getting the hump when it's not forthcoming. It's down to the individual and breed. As for cats not being pack animals. Researchers have found domestic cats often do form loose "packs" when they're out and about.
    Cats are hunters.
    As are dogs, but people happy enough to see a cat bring back a bird or mouse would freak if their dog brought back a rat or somesuch(terriers are far superior ratters compared to cats).
    Also, I know if we all were wiped out tomorrow, I know my cat would survive by eating our dead bodies (this is an excuse that people give to hate cats). She would be completely welcome to eat my dead body - I'm dead. What do I care. A dog on the other hand would sit there and say "what do I do now" until he too died of starvation. :D
    Unlikely. The huge number of feral dogs worldwide shows this. If we were wiped out tomorrow it's more likely dogs would survive long term. For a start they'd start preying on cats(as feral dogs do today). Dogs are genetically near identical to wolves. Behaviourally they differ, but without human interaction would quickly revert to full on Little Red Riding Hood mode. Look at the Australian Dingo(another affectionate but aloof dog when kept as a pet). Dogs and humans are also about the only predators that will regularly prey on animals much bigger than themselves. It's likely one reason why we took a look at each other (at least 40,000 years ago) and said "yea reckon we can work with that lot".
    Cats are just, if not more as loyal as dogs, but a hell of a lot smarter.
    Again down to individuals. Some dogs are dense and so are some cats. That said no cat has come close to the feats of cognition some dogs have achieved. EG The border collie in Germany that can understand 300 words and also understands abstract representation in object recognition(better than a 3 year old human IIRC).
    Roisy7 wrote: »
    Like it or not, the species that do the most damage to animals is *drum roll please* homo sapiens!
    Often because we introduce cats. And rats. Oh and pigs. Domestic pigs gone feral have caused huge die offs. The introduction of dogs doesn't seem to have near the same impact.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ScumLord wrote: »
    Cats are not clean by human standards and you shouldn't be working under the assumption that just because it's licked itself all over that you don't need to wash that cat spit off your hands regularly.

On that logic dogs aren't either. How about a human sized container of Spiriva Gel to walk around in? We would be constantly clean then, though breathing might be a problem.
    I'd wash my hands after petting a dog too or keep the dog clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Wibbs wrote: »
    Can depend on the individual cat or dog. Some dog breeds can be very aloof. Huskies as one example. They can be very independent. Part of the breeds history was that they were used as pack animals in winter, but released into the wild in summer. Some individual cats can be very cloying. Constantly mewing looking for attention and getting the hump when it's not forthcoming. It's down to the individual and breed.

Overall, dogs would be more needy though. It would be much more common for a dog to have this trait than a cat, IME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Often because we introduce cats. And rats. Oh and pigs. Domestic pigs gone feral have caused huge die offs. The introduction of dogs doesn't seem to have near the same impact.

The introduction of the Dingo has been cited for the extinction of the Tasmanian Devil on mainland Australia. Dogs would have done no favours for ground-dwelling species (esp. Kiwis) in NZ and others elsewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D Cats do have more pathogens they can transmit to humans alright(IIRC we can transmit dangerous stuff to them too), but that's probably down to the fact we've been living with dogs for far longer. We've grown together as a mutually beneficial species. Homo Sapiens was the first human to have dogs and many argue it's one of the big reasons we out competed other humans around at the time. Did no harm to them either. Wolves in the wild are under threat all over the world, yet there are billions of domesticated wolves laying at out feet.

Cats came later with the advent of agriculture. On that score they were also massively useful to us by keeping down vermin in grain stores and the like. Again its been good for them too. Wildcats are a helluva lot rarer in the world than the tabby curled up in your lap. Both dogs and cats are freeloadin bastids :D

Funny enough in the wild dogs/wolves will kill cats on sight if they get the chance(and any other predator they see as competition, like foxes and coyotes, even birds of prey). They're very like us in that way. However in the domestic environment contrary to Tom and Jerry cartoons :D cats and dogs tend to leave each other well enough alone. The odd bark and hiss on both sides, but rarely enough full on aggression. I reckon they're having meetings when we're not around. "Right so Cat, it's agreed. I'll lick my nuts and then his face, you spit on yourself and lick your arse and then rub your face in theirs? We'll then get fed. Sheesh these monkeys are fierce daft eh?".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My much loved cat, and one of my best friends for the last 8 years, died last week.

There are close relations of mine I would grieve for less that I will that cat. He was a four legged legend and I will miss him forever.

RIP fella :(

Cats rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Cats are not clean by human standards and you shouldn't be working under the assumption that just because it's licked itself all over that you don't need to wash that cat spit off your hands regularly.

cleaner than dogs. And what about the dog spit - that goes directly onto peoples faces when they "greet them". Do you give your face a good scouring?

Can depend on the individual cat or dog. Some dog breeds can be very aloof. Huskies as one example. They can be very independent. Part of the breeds history was that they were used as pack animals in winter, but released into the wild in summer. Some individual cats can be very cloying. Constantly mewing looking for attention and getting the hump when it's not forthcoming. It's down to the individual and breed. As for cats not being pack animals. Researchers have found domestic cats often do form loose "packs" when they're out and about.

As are dogs, but people happy enough to see a cat bring back a bird or mouse would freak if their dog brought back a rat or somesuch(terriers are far superior ratters compared to cats).

Unlikely. The huge number of feral dogs worldwide shows this. If we were wiped out tomorrow it's more likely dogs would survive long term. For a start they'd start preying on cats(as feral dogs do today). Dogs are genetically near identical to wolves. Behaviourally they differ, but without human interaction would quickly revert to full on Little Red Riding Hood mode. Look at the Australian Dingo(another affectionate but aloof dog when kept as a pet). Dogs and humans are also about the only predators that will regularly prey on animals much bigger than themselves. It's likely one reason why we took a look at each other (at least 40,000 years ago) and said "yea reckon we can work with that lot".

Again down to individuals. Some dogs are dense and so are some cats. That said no cat has come close to the feats of cognition some dogs have achieved. EG The border collie in Germany that can understand 300 words and also understands abstract representation in object recognition(better than a 3 year old human IIRC).

a dog is an idiot compared to a cat. (no offence to dogs, I love them), but cats are so much more intelligent it's scary. watch and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think its because generally, we are a nation of depressive, resentful sh1theads and any excuse to apply a blanked hatred on anything (cats, pigeons, pension levies etc) is welcome and accepted :D But dont mind me, I love cats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

That still means that it's humankind's fault, not the animals themselves, they are just doing what biology means them to.

For example, the rabbits who have taken over Australia: is that the rabbits fault, or the human who introduced them?

• Advertisement

Funny enough in the wild dogs/wolves will kill cats on sight if they get the chance(and any other predator they see as competition, like foxes and coyotes, even birds of prey). They're very like us in that way. However in the domestic environment contrary to Tom and Jerry cartoons :D cats and dogs tend to leave each other well enough alone. The odd bark and hiss on both sides, but rarely enough full on aggression. I reckon they're having meetings when we're not around. "Right so Cat, it's agreed. I'll lick my nuts and then his face, you spit on yourself and lick your arse and then rub your face in theirs? We'll then get fed. Sheesh these monkeys are fierce daft eh?".
    I can confirm this is true, I've seen them conspiring. Our dog used to chase cats out of the garden and then strut back into the house for prase. When she thought there was no one around to impress I've caught her lying in the sun with the same cats best of friends.

I've caught more diseases from people that I have from dogs :)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've caught more diseases from people that I have from dogs :)

how many dogs have you rode?
    :p

Roisy7 wrote: »
    For example, the rabbits who have taken over Australia: is that the rabbits fault, or the human who introduced them?
    It's neithers fault really, it's just nature taking it's course. We wouldn't blame tectonic plates for introducing south American animals to north American animals.

a dog is an idiot compared to a cat. (no offence to dogs, I love them), but cats are so much more intelligent it's scary. watch and learn.
    Depends on the individual animal. My dog is super intelligent, for example she knows that coat = walkies, car keys + coat = no walkies, car keys + coat + harness (for the car) = drive then walkies. She watches me and reacts accordingly. My cats (although I love them) are all fat fcuks motivated purely by the sound of a packet of ham being opened :rolleyes:

how many dogs have you rode?
    :p

This response would be funny if it wasn't so predictable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

It's neithers fault really, it's just nature taking it's course. We wouldn't blame tectonic plates for introducing south American animals to north American animals.

Except tectonic plates aren't sentinent beings with choice and free will....

Depends on the individual animal. My dog is super intelligent, for example she knows that coat = walkies, car keys + coat = no walkies, car keys + coat + harness (for the car) = drive then walkies. She watches me and reacts accordingly. My cats (although I love them) are all fat fcuks motivated purely by the sound of a packet of ham being opened :rolleyes:

and yet the dog will embarrass you by poo-pooing where-ever he wants in front of whoever he wants. :D:D

This response would be funny if it wasn't so predictable :(

Grumpy much?
    :pac:
    You said you caught more diseases off humans than dogs.
    I assume that was thinly veiled std reference, or did you actually catch a disease by shaking hands?
    Or did you really mean you have had sex with both?:eek:

and yet the dog will embarrass you by poo-pooing where-ever he wants in front of whoever he wants. :D:D
    True, but at least she does it outside. My cats? Huh, never seen anything like them. They have their own little brick house that opens out into a garden enclosure yet they still come back inside to sh1t and p1ss. Little fcukers are institutionalised I think :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

I got a nasty scratch from one as a child. Little ****er got
    Me right down the face.

Needless to say I hate them...

Grumpy much?
    :pac:
    You said you caught more diseases off humans than dogs.
    I assume that was thinly veiled std reference, or did you actually catch a disease by shaking hands?
    Or did you really mean you have had sex with both?:eek:

er...why?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Dogs haven't gotten the hang of using the bog yet....

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/914213/

er...why?? :confused:

Elaborate then.
    What diseases have you caught from touching humans?

Elaborate then.
    What diseases have you caught from touching humans?

No no, back up. I want to know why you thought there was a "thinly veiled std reference" in my post.

Dogs haven't gotten the hang of using the bog yet....

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/914213/

I'm afraid to click the link ;)

No no, back up. I want to know why you thought there was a "thinly veiled std reference" in my post.

Forget it, you're too old to get the joke.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I took my neighbours cat in last night, was a bit drunk, wonder if it got out, eek!

This must have been posted by now, the crazy dating site cat woman?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

cleaner than dogs. And what about the dog spit - that goes directly onto peoples faces when they "greet them". Do you give your face a good scouring?
    Dog saliva is actually pretty pathogen inert. Dogs have very strong anti bacterial compounds in their saliva and throughout their digestive system. A dog can bury and then dig up weeks later a stinky bone that if you even touched it would land you in hospital :D but they can munch merrily away.
    Not according to numerous research on the subject. Cats are not stupid, not by any stretch and there are a lot of crosseyed morons in the dog world, but dogs are better at reading humans(and we at reading them), more socially intelligent and are better at learning novel tasks and responding to novel environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTuiE1_Oe8

(is it me or is embedding YT links on the blink??)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

geeky wrote: »

I know that might sound a little confusing, but I'm in my 30s not in my 300s... so I wasn't actually around back then, and have never met anyone who was.

Advertisement