Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

Cats just have a mind of their own and aren't really pack animals. They're affectionate and loyal but they aren't annoyingly people pleasing. Gotta lot of respect for my felines!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Shenshen wrote: »
    Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
    Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
    In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?

Like many traits of the Irish, such as alcoholism and being overly polite I suspect the hatred of cats comes from the insecurity of Irish people. They don't constantly reassure you they like you. This causes insecure people to hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like cats, I respect that they are incredible animals but outside of keeping one as a pet they're more or less vermin.

The back of my apartment is polluted with cats since a neighbour moved in with one cat. I can hear them fighting all the time, I can't leave my windows or doors open or they'll sneak in. everytime I come home from work their waiting and start doing their cat stretches in an attempt to worm their way into my affections and ultimately my fridge.

Stray cats can carry diseases and stink. I'd keep one as a pet but that would just attract other cats. I aware the entire species is playing humans for saps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

I think cats inspire such a strong reaction in people either way, and I wonder why that is. Like nobody ever says "I hate hamsters so much, all hamsters should be shot, sneaky bastards!"

I think it's probably the way cats stare, and seem distant and aloof, and probably the historical association with witchcraft that make people hate them. I honestly don't know how anyone could hurt or drown a kitten tho :(

If you're not used to them they seem unaffectionate, but they're a very calming presence at times. You can just sit in a room reading or watching TV and the cat will be there dozing :) Alot of Irish people simply haven't had the exposure to cats, and I've known several people who profess they hate cats to change their mind when they are around someone else's pet.

As you can guess I have a cat. But there were always dogs where my Dad lived and I love dogs too. You can't be unhappy if there's a dog in the room :)

I love both equally, but then I love all members of the animal kingdom. Except snakes. Now they're sneaky bastards!

I'd like to add that this isn't a uniquely Irish thing, my mother is English and it's the exact same in the UK, except they treat their animals a lot better than we do in general. We Irish treat all animals terribly, including dogs, as can be testified by any animal welfare charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

They are ugly, evil little shits.

I absolutely hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Schism wrote: »
    Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.

Grew up on a farm. Never known a cat to kill hens but have known plenty of dogs to do so.
    Youre talking out your coop;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I thought dogs killed hens? :confused:

no dogs kill lambs, but can get away with it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Probably the hairs and the general evilness of the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I hate cats like I hate getting out of bed and stepping on an up-turned plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Rachelmhr

Personally! I do not like them.. Hate is a strong word!

I really dislike them as when I was a young child my Aunty's crazy old cat just walked up and bit me on the hand when I tried to pet it..

I've never been bitten by a dog.. So yep I dont like cats at all!

• Advertisement

I never had any feelings for cats until a stray kitten wandered into my area - I fed it and it stayed around. I've had her now for eight years - took her in, got her neutered and she is now one of the family.

I was completely fascinated to observe her in the first few years - they are so smart, clean, and are completely loyal once they know they won't be abused.

The cat is now so much part of our family that when we talk to her, she answers. When she miaows, we know exactly what she wants - they had different noises for different things. We let her out when she wants, and in when she wants. If she gets locked out, she walks around the house outside, until she sees an open window, she will then call to that window to be let in. They are extremely clean. On the odd occasion that she is in for a day if we don't get home till late, and she needs to go, she goes in the shower, nowhere else. I would never know how great cats can be until one fell into our home. We would be lost without here. Extremely affectionate also and will curl up beside you while you read, or watch tv. Yes she will kill mice, birds, etc, but that is her nature. She will bring them back and leave them on the doorstep as a "present". Cats are hunters.

Also, I know if we all were wiped out tomorrow, I know my cat would survive by eating our dead bodies (this is an excuse that people give to hate cats). She would be completely welcome to eat my dead body - I'm dead. What do I care. A dog on the other hand would sit there and say "what do I do now" until he too died of starvation. :D

Cats are just, if not more as loyal as dogs, but a hell of a lot smarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Don't mind them, but they breed like, er, rabbits, the feral ones really need to be taken out.

They do A LOT of damage to small birds. I know the cat apologists say oh it's in their nature, blah blah...but they're not a native species! Just because you don't pay a licence and are not subject to the dog warden doesn't mean you don't have resposiblities as an owner.

I would put the so-called pathological dislike down to folk-memory and superstition about them.

Don't mind them, but they breed like, er, rabbits, the feral ones really need to be taken out and at least a sensible limit to cat ownership.

They do A LOT of damage to small birds. I know the cat apologists say oh it's in their nature, blah blah...but they're not a native species!

I would put the so-called pathological dislike down to folk-memory and superstition about them.

oh please. :D cats are hunter's - that's what they do. What's this about "not our native species"? What about dogs doing a lot of damage to lambs, and sheep - is this okay? or is there an "excuse" for that. :o:o

Woeful smell off their piss.
    They lick their assholes (owners).
    They **** in other peoples gardens.
    Use peoples cars as nail sharpening tools.
    Wake you up at night screaming.

I ****ing hate them.

oh please. :D cats are hunter's - that's what they do. What's this about "not our native species"? What about dogs doing a lot of damage to lambs, and sheep - is this okay? or is there an "excuse" for that. :o:o

The dog wardens/farmers guns put a stop to that fairly sharpish.

Responsible ownership of dog or cat is the point I'm trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

My sisters dog would destroy birds if he was fast enough to catch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Gotta agree here.

Like it or not, the species that do the most damage to animals is *drum roll please* homo sapiens!

We're the ones destroying birds' habitats, for example.

Humans kill far more birds and other animals than either dogs or cats. Oh, and we're a non-native species too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Don't really have a strong opinion, I just don't really take to them. They aren't particularly loyal or gregarious, and they aren't very brave either. You can't do activities with them like you can with dogs or horses; cats pretty much want to sit on the sofa watching trashy daytime soaps until they want to be on their own again.

I imagine most indisposition toward cats takes the form of lack of interest, not pathological hatred.

The dog wardens/farmers guns put a stop to that fairly sharpish.

Responsible ownership of dog or cat is the point I'm trying to make.

when? after all the little lambs have been slaughtered???

be reasonable. Your "excuse" is non-existent.

later12 wrote: »
    Don't really have a strong opinion, I just don't really take to them. They aren't particularly loyal or gregarious, and they aren't very brave either. You can't do activities with them like you can with dogs or horses; cats pretty much want to sit on the sofa watching trashy daytime soaps until they want to be on their own again.

I imagine most indisposition toward cats takes the form of lack of interest, not pathological hatred.

how dare you!! My cat watches documentaries only. :o:o

• Advertisement

when? after all the little lambs have been slaughtered???

be reasonable. Your "excuse" is non-existent.

Yes normally. Are we supposed to predict when a dog goes on a rampage now?

Yes normally. Are we supposed to predict when a dog goes on a rampage now?

no, just lock them up beforehand and they won't do damage then. Isn't that what you would like for cats - so they won't kill birds - but then, what will we do with the birds - better cage them all, in case they eat worms, but then what would we do with the worms - better stamp them out too in case they eat other little insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Don't really like cats and would prefer if I didn't have my neighbour's cats in my garden. If someone wants cats I don't really mind if they have several just as long as they are not allowed to roam and soil and breed in an uncontrolled manner. I do like animals in general but those that have them have a responsibility to control and look after them;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Rachelmhr

I ****ing hate them.

Laughin my ass off at this hahaha brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

I ****ing hate them.

That's a load of Mickey, Bam bam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They are extremely clean.
    Cats are not clean by human standards and you shouldn't be working under the assumption that just because it's licked itself all over that you don't need to wash that cat spit off your hands regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.

Oh really?

The Great Cat Massacre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

ScumLord wrote: »
    Cats are not clean by human standards and you shouldn't be working under the assumption that just because it's licked itself all over that you don't need to wash that cat spit off your hands regularly.

On that logic dogs aren't either. How about a human sized container of Spiriva Gel to walk around in? We would be constantly clean then, though breathing might be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Like cats, love dogs.

Prefer dogs.

Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I don't get it, OP. I don't understand how people can hate them so much. If it's a phobia, fair enough, but it's not for most people. It's weird.

Advertisement