Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

You just disagreed then agreed with the post you quoted, schizophrenia is a symptom of toxoplasmosis which can be contracted from you cats sh.it.

Couldn't think of a decent counter-argument so went with the thanks earner instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mauled - No

Smothered - Yes

Not so:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/29/just-ignore-talk-of-cats-smothering-babies/

Also:

Despite tales of cats smothering babies, cats dislike the smell of human breath and will generally stay away from a baby's face. In spite of all the myths, there is only one verified case of a cat smothering a baby - far fewer than the number of babies murdered by their parents. Cats see cots as cosy beds and babies as warm things to snuggle against. Sometimes a cat becomes quite protective of its human's 'kitten'! To keep the cat out of the cot or pram, fit a net cover (a fly-shield). Later on, move the cat's food bowl and its litter tray to places where the baby or toddler can't get to them

I can think of quite a few cases of dogs killing babies and children, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Not so:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/29/just-ignore-talk-of-cats-smothering-babies/

Also:

Despite tales of cats smothering babies, cats dislike the smell of human breath and will generally stay away from a baby's face. In spite of all the myths, there is only one verified case of a cat smothering a baby - far fewer than the number of babies murdered by their parents. Cats see cots as cosy beds and babies as warm things to snuggle against. Sometimes a cat becomes quite protective of its human's 'kitten'! To keep the cat out of the cot or pram, fit a net cover (a fly-shield). Later on, move the cat's food bowl and its litter tray to places where the baby or toddler can't get to them

Touche, i humbly accept your correction.......i still wont tolerate a cat in my Garden though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have a cat. He is a selfish user. When i'm going for walks and meet him out and about he just ignores me and runs away, but when he wants something, like being fed, he'll be very receptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I have a cat. He is a selfish user. When i'm going for walks and meet him out and about he just ignores me and runs away, but when he wants something, like being fed, he'll be very receptive.

Why have a pet you don't like? So you can moan about him on the internet? Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

curlzy wrote: »
    Why have a pet you don't like? So you can moan about him on the internet? Sad.

I have a cat for practical reasons. I don't really view the cat as a pet. Anyway this is a thread about why people dislike cats, so it's a bit unrealistic not to expect some people to then express their dislike of cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

That honestly isn't my experience at all. I find dog poo almost everywhere I walk and in my front garden. They're not too discreet about it around my way!

In fairness though, dogs are only doing what comes naturally - it's their owners who need to be trained. It's an extreme rarity to see any dog owners pick up the little gifts their pooches leave all over the place.

Any dogs we've had they've picked they're little spot in the garden, usually a hidden bit and that's where they do their poops all the time.

if they're out for a walk, I guess it's fair game and they have very little option. But it's just from what I've seen from our dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I hate cats. I can't be in a room with one they just creep me out. I don't like their sneery faces, I don't like them sh1tting everywhere. I hate the way they hiss and arch their backs. I hate the way cat owners think its ok for them go wherever the fcuk they like.

I also hate onions, small monkeys and socks that are too tight.

People hate stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What a load of bollox. Take a stroll out on the street or in a local park & observe the amount of dog sh!t lying about.

My local park is littered with dog sh!t that lazy dog owners pretend not to see thundering out of they're beloved moggies hole's. I see it every single day as i go for a walk/jog on this particular 2 kilometer stretch of pathway. Dog stops, hunches over & plops straight on to the ground. What does owner do? literally look the other way. Oh i didn't see that so i don't have to deal with it.:rolleyes:

Yeah by law they're supposed to but a lot of them don't. Its disgusting behaviour. And im not talking about the dogs, they can't help it. Clean up your dogs excrement & have a bit of consideration for others.
    I do clean up after my dogs, and so do my friends, and so do many other people who have dogs. If you see someone not picking up after their dog I urge you to report them to the warden.

However I have never, ever seen a cat owner picking up after their pet. Have you?
    Not so:

Also:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1499543/pdf/bmjcred00624-0025a.pdf

I would imagine that to a cat there's little difference between sleeping beside something and sleeping on something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

kylith wrote: »
    I do clean up after my dogs, and so do my friends, and so do many other people who have dogs. If you see someone not picking up after their dog I urge you to report them to the warden.

However I have never, ever seen a cat owner picking up after their pet. Have you?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1499543/pdf/bmjcred00624-0025a.pdf

I would imagine that to a cat there's little difference between sleeping beside something and sleeping on something.

Dog wardens, in my experience, are largely useless. Sure, by the time you'd report the dog owner, they'd be long gone anyway.

Most cat owners use litter trays for their cats, as most are indoor pets for the most part. For those who allow the cats out a lot, as I've already stated, they'll bury their poo - it's an instinctive thing. In gardens, it may be a different story, but I have yet to see a cat poo either in my garden, or in a public area. IMO, I don't think cat fouling is a fraction as prolific as their canine counterparts.

If you read the link, you'll see that there has only ever been one verified case of a cat smothering a baby. this scare story is a myth. Of course, cats will find cots a cosy place to lie, but are virtually never interested in coming into close contact with an infant. I have 4 children and my cats have never shown any interest in lying anywhere near them when they are asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muckster

because cats are creepy. They always appear to be waiting to do something sneaky!

Most cat owners use litter trays for their cats, as most are indoor pets for the most part. For those who allow the cats out a lot, as I've already stated, they'll bury their poo - it's an instinctive thing. In gardens, it may be a different story, but I have yet to see a cat poo either in my garden, or in a public area. IMO, I don't think cat fouling is a fraction as prolific as their canine counterparts.
    !

Well i have found them quite regularly in my garden, but your opinion that cats dont sh.it in public as much as dogs may be accurate for owners that use litter but i know for sure my neighbour doesnt use litter cause she said as much, which leaves the cats shi.tting in my garden. Irresposible cat owners leave their cats open to being despised is the end result, just as much as owners that leave their dogs bark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you read the link, you'll see that there has only ever been one verified case of a cat smothering a baby. this scare story is a myth. Of course, cats will find cots a cosy place to lie, but are virtually never interested in coming into close contact with an infant. I have 4 children and my cats have never shown any interest in lying anywhere near them when they are asleep!

Well, I know of a case where someone was vomiting in their sleep(from too much drink) and the pet cat nudged the person to wake them.

If the cat didn't do anything, that person would of died by choking on their vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Ha Ha brilliant..yep just about sums em up alrite:D

gurramok wrote: »
    Well, I know of a case where someone was vomiting in their sleep(from too much drink) and the pet cat nudged the person to wake them.

If the cat didn't do anything, that person would of died by choking on their vomit.

The cat was only nudging the persons head away so it could get at the diced carrots that slid under their cheek (hungry selfish little bastards:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Bestiality comes to mind, I'm sick!

Most cat owners use litter trays for their cats, as most are indoor pets for the most part.
    I'd disagree with that. It seems that the vast majority of cat owners let their cats roam wild using excuses like 'it's in their nature', or 'they don't like being inside'.
    For those who allow the cats out a lot, as I've already stated, they'll bury their poo - it's an instinctive thing. In gardens, it may be a different story, but I have yet to see a cat poo either in my garden, or in a public area.
    I have. Before I got dogs they would regularly come into my garden, foul my flower beds and kill my fish, now they confine themselves to my front garden. As other posters have said the burying of the waste is almost worse because then small children can unknowingly come in contact with it when playing in the garden or in their sandpit.

The crux of it is; people who do not have cats do not want cats on their property, they do not want cats using their gardens as litter trays, digging up flowers or vegetables and they bury their excrement and possibly poisoning their crops*, they do not want cats shagging under their windows at 3am.

*the faeces of carnivores should never be used as fertiliser or put in compost. Dog poo is on the surface of the ground and therefore easy to see. Because cats bury their poo it is more difficult to find and get rid of.
    IMO, I don't think cat fouling is a fraction as prolific as their canine counterparts.
    Again, I disagree. There are many, many more cats wandering the streets unsupervised than dogs. The difference is that whilst stray dogs poo in the streets cats are fouling private property where they should not be in the first place.

If there is a dog roaming loose I can call the warden and have it taken away; I have no such option for cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

If there is a dog roaming loose I can call the warden and have it taken away; I have no such option for cats.

Yes you do, its called a Super Soaker. I'd highly recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Cats are c.unts....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Formosa wrote: »
    Cats are c.unts....

Yeah and you're a t.wat

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Being a cat owner I can say this without contradiction, they are ungratefull evil cnuts. No matter how much you feed the fcukers they still kill cute animals for fun. Where I live that includes mice, shrews, voles, rats, hedgehogs, all birds, pine martins in fact my cat even manages to frighten the piss out of my dog (massive Rothweiler).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭azwethinkweiz

Yeah i know where you're coming from, I don't hate cats at all. I'm quite fond of them but never had one myself. I wasn't allowed because my mother says they're "evil"... thats literally her reason.
    She thinks they aren't loveable like dogs, that they don't care about humans - they just want food and they'd eat me if I died. Which is gross.

At the mo, I have a chinchilla so I won't be getting a cat anytime soon. The dog traumatises my poor chinchi enough already!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Can we seriously end this?

I'm not evil if I don't like cats!

I don't mind them that much but they are annoying. Like my girlfriend used to live with this other girl who was a bit of a young cat lady. Used HATE going over to the house... it just smelled of cat poo, they'd constantly crawl all over me and scratch me, the roomie would be offended if I pushed the cats away and they were hungry 24/7... you couldn't have a sandwich without them attacking you.

Like, I don't want to go and drown them but I don't see the benefit of them, they don't really add anything to anyone.

Yes you do, its called a Super Soaker. I'd highly recommend them.
    I have one, it doesn't quite reach the wall the ginger f*cker sits on. I'm starting to think of getting a paintball gun. Something non-lethal but painful, and maybe if he arrives home covered in (non-toxic) paint his owners will be more inclined to keep him in at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

My buddy has a 9 year old Indian Python which recently graduated from mice and rats to kittens which he gets from the same supplier(not a petshop).
    When the thing is fully grown it'll be able to consume a Great Dane,but at that point he'll be fed lambs.I wonder will he cough out an aran sweater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

Tell ya what, give me cats over Roma gypsys anyday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I have one, it doesn't quite reach the wall the ginger f*cker sits on. I'm starting to think of getting a paintball gun. Something non-lethal but painful, and maybe if he arrives home covered in (non-toxic) paint his owners will be more inclined to keep him in at night.

Remember this, if there were no cats hanging around your neighbourhood you'd have a ton of mice & rats crawling around your hedges & bins possibly even in your home.;)

Thats what the dummies that say duuuur i hate cats, i'd shoot them all if i could! don't seem to realise. The knock on affect would be a sudden increase in the vermin population.

Its perfectly ok to persuade them to feck off with a blast of a water hose. Be careful with any more forceful methods you might be considering, more & more people are willing to report animal cruelty if they see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I just ate a live cat!

Advertisement