Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Remember this, if there were no cats hanging around your neighbourhood you'd have a ton of mice & rats crawling around your hedges & bins possibly even in your home.;)

Thats what the dummies that say duuuur i hate cats, i'd shoot them all if i could! don't seem to realise. The knock on affect would be a sudden increase in the vermin population.

Its perfectly ok to persuade them to feck off with a blast of a water hose. Be careful with any more forceful methods you might be considering, more & more people are willing to report animal cruelty if they see it.

Sure! Also, don't sit too close to the TV or your eyes will turn square and don't pull faces in the wind your face will stay like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

This whole argument of keeping cats indoors is nonsense. If I suggested that dog owners should keep their animals indoors because they sh.it all over the pavement I'd be laughed at.

Cat's, like dogs, shouldn't be kept indoors. Cat's can't be confined like dogs because they can jump over walls. They're going to roam a little, that can't be stopped. Having said that they won't ever sh.it on a footpath or driveway, dogs most certainly will.

Someone gave out earlier about how cat's come on to private property and do their business and their owners don't pick it up. A) the cat doesn't know it's private property. B) anyone that follows their cat anytime they let it outside has issues. and C) even if you did follow the cat, it would lead you to private property, on which you would then be trespassing.

On my walk to work if I step in sh.it, it's going to be dog sh.it. 100%. And most owners don't pick up after their dogs, in my area anyway, because I see dog sh.it on the path almost every day.

I could go on but the bottom line is that cats shi.tting is a non issue. They are far more discreet than dogs. The people that complain about finding it in the garden should probably seal the area completely because there are far more animals than cats using your garden as a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Remember this, if there were no cats hanging around your neighbourhood you'd have a ton of mice & rats crawling around your hedges & bins possibly even in your home.;)
    No there wouldn't. I have terriers; they're better ratters than a cat any day of the week.
    Its perfectly ok to persuade them to feck off with a blast of a water hose. Be careful with any more forceful methods you might be considering, more & more people are willing to report animal cruelty if they see it.
    Why should I have to get up at 3am, get dressed and go outside to unravel the hose to get someone else's cat out of my garden? Just keep it in your house or garden.
    This whole argument of keeping cats indoors is nonsense. If I suggested that dog owners should keep their animals indoors because they sh.it all over the pavement I'd be laughed at.

Cat's, like dogs, shouldn't be kept indoors. Cat's can't be confined like dogs because they can jump over walls. They're going to roam a little, that can't be stopped. Having said that they won't ever sh.it on a footpath or driveway, dogs most certainly will.

Someone gave out earlier about how cat's come on to private property and do their business and their owners don't pick it up. A) the cat doesn't know it's private property. B) anyone that follows their cat anytime they let it outside has issues. and C) even if you did follow the cat, it would lead you to private property, on which you would then be trespassing.
    So do what dog owners have to do by law; keep it in your house/garden and take it for a daily walk for exercise.
    I could go on but the bottom line is that cats shi.tting is a non issue. They are far more discreet than dogs. The people that complain about finding it in the garden should probably seal the area completely because there are far more animals than cats using your garden as a toilet.
    But most of those animals are wild and have no-one who's supposed to be responsible for their actions. Why should others have to spend money cat-proofing their gardens? Cat owners should be responsible for their pets; where they go and what they do. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I just ate a live cat!

You couldn't have waited until the weekend? I know though, it's so tempting. Have you any left for the Halloween Sacrifices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Ah come on now, you wouldnt ask alf to wait:pac:

http://worldwidewhiskers.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/alf2.jpg

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    So do what dog owners have to do by law; keep it in your house/garden and take it for a daily walk for exercise.

As I already said, it would be cruel to confine a cat indoors, like it would be cruel to confine a dog indoors. Also, confining a cat to a garden is impossible because they are very good at jumping to great heights and balancing on the slimmest of surfaces.

And please, take the cat for a walk? You obviously know very little about cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd agree, over all I think it's getting to the stage where people in cities should consider the fact they don't live in a suitable environment to be keeping animals like these. It's not right to keep a cat confined in a house it's entire life just so you don't have to be a lone while you watch TV at night.

Over all people in cities don't appreciate they're part of an ecosystem, the want nature to conform into their 9 to 5 schedule and only the pretty animals to be on display. They should be more accepting of animals living around them and depending on heir waste.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd agree, over all I think it's getting to the stage where people in cities should consider the fact they don't live in a suitable environment to be keeping animals like these. It's not right to keep a cat confined in a house it's entire life just so you don't have to be a lone while you watch TV at night.

Over all people in cities don't appreciate they're part of an ecosystem, the want nature to conform into their 9 to 5 schedule and only the pretty animals to be on display. They should be more accepting of animals living around them and depending on heir waste.

Your leaning towards a very good point there, cats dont live around us in our environment in cities, we moved in & built our cities around where wild animals once lived & then domesticated them.

But that said if an animal is truly domesticated then it shouldnt be an issue sitting in at night watching TV with it.

(no chance though if it was my gaff, the bastards would be out the back where they belong)

Ah come on now, you wouldnt ask alf to wait:pac:

http://worldwidewhiskers.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/alf2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ilovefridays

I don't hate cats, i just have a phobia of them since as far back as childhood. I really don't know why because i was never bitten or terrified by one. i really dont know where the fear came from.

i don't want cat lovers to judge me or attack me, i cant help it, but here's my story....
    if i see a cat, my whole body freezes, i get a knot in my stomach and my heart races. years ago when i was about 15 i used to walk through a laneway to get home from my friends house, there was always sure to be a cat sitting up on the wall in the lane. I'd stand at the start of the lane , take a deep breath and run through that lane as fast as i could. I could not avoid that lane as it was the only way to get to my friends house, or a half an hour walk the main road way.

years later going to work, i used to walk down to get the bus at 5.30 in the morning and on bin day you'd see a load of cats ripping at the bins (before wheely bins), id freeze when id see them, cross to the other side of the road and run. .

as i said i dont' hate them, i just have a phobia. i would not wish them any harm, its not their fault i have a phobia of them.:o even when that woman in UK threw the cat in the wheelie bin, i was cursing her etc i just really dont know where the hell my phobia came from.

• Advertisement

As I already said, it would be cruel to confine a cat indoors, like it would be cruel to confine a dog indoors.
    People in the US often have to keep their cats in because of predetors.
    Also, confining a cat to a garden is impossible because they are very good at jumping to great heights and balancing on the slimmest of surfaces.
    http://www.catfencein.com/
    http://catfence.org.uk/
    http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/
    http://www.catenclosures.com.au/
    And please, take the cat for a walk? You obviously know very little about cats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlDlwgxmzDI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxKNBGsfFXI&feature=related

I'm not sure how this works, the videos and images are very low res.
    This looks like it could work, though you'd probably need planning permission to put it up! :D
    This looks like the best but it has a problem which it probably shares with the previous fencing too. It will keep your cats in but it won't stop other cats getting in from outside and that's gonna be a problem. You're garden would become a cat trap!
    This is definitely going to keep the cat from straying! You would need a tunnell from the house to the pen though.

Again, even though you can use google and youtube very well, your knowledge of cats is limited. The cats in these videos are the exception to the rule, most cats will not be taken for a walk. In fact, it's difficult to get a collar on most cats let alone a lead! Cats aren't dogs, you don't bring them for walks.
    Also I'd be worried about the safety of a lead on a cat. If it jumps on a fence and then down the far side it's going to get hung by the harness and could get hurt. That's why you don't bring cats for walks!

Here, these were the top two related videos in the first link you posted:

This is definitely going to keep the cat from straying! You would need a tunnell from the house to the pen though.
    People often attach them to the house so that the cat can get in and out through a window. But basically you agree that it is possibleto keep a cat on your property.

Again, even though you can use google and youtube very well, your knowledge of cats is limited. The cats in these videos are the exception to the rule, most cats will not be taken for a walk. In fact, it's difficult to get a collar on most cats let alone a lead! Cats aren't dogs, you don't bring them for walks.
    Also I'd be worried about the safety of a lead on a cat. If it jumps on a fence and then down the far side it's going to get hung by the harness and could get hurt. That's why you don't bring cats for walks!

Here, these were the top two related videos in the first link you posted:

Of course if you put a harness on a cat that's not used to it it'll go nuts, just like if you suddenly put a collar and lead on a dog that wasn't used to it it'd go nuts; it's not something they are born being used to. When properly trained and acclimatised it's perfectly possible for them to get used to a harness; people even walk rabbits on harnesses ffs. If your saying that it's impossible to train a cat to wear a harness then they're obviously not as intelligent as people have been saying they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Matbe we all evolved from canines:D

Not all of us, but I've met a few people who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

You know where you stand with dogs, you don't with cats. Thats why I dislike them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I used to really hate cats. Last December though, in those cold cold days I heard something outside. Went out and found a cat and her two kittens (strays), they were starving and even though I had no time for cats no-one could just leave them like that. So I fed them. The mother fu(ked off after a while but the youngins stayed on. Nearly a year later and they're still hanging around!

They're great fun though, very playful and kill rodents.

Dogs and cats, both are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

c_man wrote: »
    I used to really hate cats. Last December though, in those cold cold days I heard something outside. Went out and found a cat and her two kittens (strays), they were starving and even though I had no time for cats no-one could just leave them like that. So I fed them. The mother fu(ked off after a while but the youngins stayed on. Nearly a year later and they're still hanging around!

They're great fun though, very playful and kill rodents.

Dogs and cats, both are great!

Make sure if they are female to get them neutered. Neighbour of mine ended up with 26 cats in the space of a couple of years a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I love cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

I don't know how you couldn't like cats. I love dogs and I have a dog but there's something really stupid about dogs. If i imagined a dog talking it would sound something like scooby doo, pronouncing every word as if it begins with 'r' and only carrying out tasks for the sake of a treat, while if I think of a talking cat, I think of Salem from Sabrina, all smart and proper.

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/salem.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Cats are backstards. They do my nut. They're all sneaky and sleazy, the way they move and all. I like most animals, but not cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In Ireland even the word "cat" means very bad-this weather is cat isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lily10

I don't know what it is but a lot of people I know don't like cats and they honestly don't know why they hate them! I think it's something they picked up from their parents. My mother doesn't like cats, my sister hates them, now my little niece is starting to pick up on that. I try my best to sit her down and explain that cats are not bothering anyone and that they're just trying to survive out on the streets.

One thing I don't get is why some people put human emotions on to animals by saying cats are sneaky and sly. Maybe they are not as domesticated as the dog.

I'll tell ya why, because they have ruined our country by feathering thier own nests & their cronyism, blatant corruption for years fuelling an unsustainable property boom with the country now awash with property & toying with the notion now of a property tax!!!!! (how convenient)
    Bailing out the PRIVATE companies (banks) that lost their bollox on the free trade markets on the back of the tax payers & allowing the top brass at these banks to walk away scott free with huge bonus, severance & pension packages all the while your average man & woman are having their utilities cut off & creditors breathing down their necks!!!!!
    Running the budgets now just before christmas so they can avail of increased taxation on drink, cigarettes, food etc oover the christmas period without a second though of how the poorest are going to suffer.
    Allowing the PRIVATE companies that are the ECB & IMF in to run the show who's primary obligations are to its funders & shareholders seeing that they are PRIVATE companies!!!!!!
    Nothing short of a Bond of slavery is what is being proposed as we as a nnation are being sold to the highest private lender, the end game is & has always been the privatisation of the world & the free market capitalists have almost succeeded.
    The greatest con ever is the falsehood that is pedalled that their is somehow at the heart of capitalism the principle that peoples liberty & dignity is paramount, the very name is self explanatory 'Capitalism' meaning its primary function & concern is the promotion of an evnironment that allows the accumulation of capital!!!!!
    People are no longer reffered to as people fisrt rather are 'Consumers' in the first instance, i am not a 'Consumer', i am a person (first) that consumes (second) certain items, this shows in its clearest form how the fat cats perceive us............

Oh wait, sorry i misread the title, i thought it said,

"......... hatred of Fat cats.........":D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nicole2012

Those people in Ireland and elsewhere that hate cats must be very insecure, ignorant and psychologically disturbed people! They have no clue about cats and are dumb for just following everybody's behavior of hating cats without even knowing much about them. These cat haters are probably selfish and sneaky themselves and it makes them see themselves in cats. I pity those people and hope there is a hell for them for abusing cats! It's not the cat's fault that they are hunters. Other animals in nature hunt too. People hunt birds too if you don't like that cats hunt birds. Why should cats not be allowed to do the same. The world is for all humans and animals. That's where you can see just how this stupid cat haters are selfish. Poor ignorant people!

Another reason people hate cats is because they probably did not get enough love in their life and so they are not able to give love to a cat and just are dependent on getting love by a dog. That shows how cat haters are messed up in the head. They probably have poor relationships too!
    And for those idiots that think that picking cats by the tail is ok: Are you so dumb and stupid to not realize that if you were picked up by your tail you would cry and defend yourself too? Why should cats behave otherwise? Life will pay you back when somebody who is stronger than you will hit you too.These people were probably bullied as kids and are cowards deep inside and insecure that you have to measure up with a smaller animal to feel powerful-what loosers they are!

Additionally, cat haters must feel very inferior and that's why they can't stand another animal being smarter than they are and have to feel secure with a dog who won't challenge them intellectually.
    I think this is what really goes on with cat haters- they are big time Loosers!

Also cat lovers are probably angry people that have no jobs, are drunks and/ or take drugs and want to get off their frustration of on cats, which is dumb and just makes them look more weak themselves. You don't solve problems with abuse instead they should get off their asses and do something with their lives effectively instead of attacking harmless animals!

And for those ignorant who don't know about cats:
    Cats are great because they are clean, graceful, funny, can be loyal if you are loyal to them, can have a great personality, can be trained too and can learn words if you talk to them like dogs, won't scratch or damage things if you provide them with a scratching post, have self-respect (what cat haters don't have and are jealous at cats for it), kill many insects like flies and spiders and keep them away, are easy to take care and are low maintenance, can be quiet and are not hyperactive and tiring and loud like many dogs, and can be sensitive too and have feelings and can be different like many people are different too.

Not without reason did the Egypt culture worship cats and they were a great civilization who were powerful. The cat haters just put Ireland down and make them look like loosers and followers- so don't hate cats.Hating cats just make s you look stupid yourself.
    So next time you see a stray cat or somebody tells you to hate cats think about it and don't judge until you actually own one so you don't talk and behave ignorant !

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

dunno, hatred of women? Envy of cool people??

Gone to the dogs long time anyhow are there even any cats still about to hate?? Even seen some dogs, pretending to be cats but their clumsy paws gave em away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I love cats!...as a child and teen my black cat gave me great comfort in times of distress. I loved when she'd meoow at my bedroom window to get in, she'd spend a few minutes on the floor having a good lick/clean....then jump on the bed a sleep beside me.....i miss her!

:-(

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

this white cat, with a bell round it's neck came purrin up to me late one night.. when our n about was the sexiest little pussy I ever did encounter. They're just bein nice like that, right? I mean I wasn't about to insert my digit in it's rectum or that; but I'm fairly certain her temperament would have turned, n she fled right?

Anyhow. was an almost surreal encounter.. to see such a creature in such a dodgy thoroughfare at such a late hour.. when I was in such a rotten mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 The Circular Journey

Personally, I love cats

Advertisement