Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Their poo is toxic, could cause all sorts of problems to unborn babies,miscarriage and blindness in adults.

Only if the woman carrying the baby hasn't been around cats much, ditto adult blindness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Their poo is toxic, could cause all sorts of problems to unborn babies,miscarriage and blindness in adults.

There is also currently a study being done into how one in four cat owners have been estimated to have caught a parasite from domestic pet cats that can lead to suicide in humans.

Also, there has been studies connecting cat hair and cot death.

They are just killing machines! Wild cats poo all over my garden and are wrecking my veg. Even consuming veg where cat poo has been is dangerous.

That being said, I like cats and dogs but don't and wont own either.

I actually thought that said "there has been suicides connecting cat hair and cot death" and I wasn't really taken aback because it sort of fit in with the rest of your hysterical post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

On the odd occasion that she is in for a day if we don't get home till late, and she needs to go, she goes in the shower, nowhere else.

That's excellent! :D But why don't you just have a litter tray or two in the areas of the house she will be?
    Don't mind them, but they breed like, er, rabbits, the feral ones really need to be taken out.

The feral ones are mostly domesticated pet cats offspring! For those that have cats but don't bother to much about them the idea of taking them to vet is alien. On a recent conversation with a friend he told me how the cats they have keep breeding and when the older one dies off from god knows what sickness, they have a new kitten or two to take it's place. If the other kittens die well that's just life :rolleyes:

These feral kittens never asked to be born and it's amazing how quickly they can bond with you given a bit of time. TNR programmes are the best thing and ONLY thing that will help control the cat population. Plus if owners would bother their holes and help out by getting their own pets neutered too.
    trodsky wrote: »
    I got a nasty scratch from one as a child. Little ****er got
    Me right down the face.

Needless to say I hate them...

That's it? A lot of folks have this fear from either a scratch of a cat or a bite from a dog. Wouldn't it be good to maybe try and deal with your issues about it? Overcome your hate/fear? :)

I've got feicin scars from cats over the years but it was my own fault for not respecting their boundaries.
    Cats are ok but they can be dirty little fcukers. The neighbours' cat used to come in and s*** in the sandpit i have in the garden for the grandkids if you leave it unattended for 5 mins. They hung around my bird table in the winter too but now that I have dogs they get the message.

Ha! Come on :D Cats bury their poo/pee so a sandbox is perfect. Cats don't know it's for the grandkids. Why not get a secure cover for the sandbox problem solved!
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Good point, a lot of people who claim to hate cats dont really know much about them, or think they are all the same. I've never met two the same :)

This is true a lot of folks can't even give a clear answer as to why they don't like cats it's odd!

Every single cat or dog that ever came into my life all had completely different personalities. Comparing cats and dogs is completely pointless they are two totally different animals! It's like comparing a lion and a badger :pac:

I'm still learning new things about cats and I've had various ones over the last 7 years, they are fascinating wee farts! :D

As for their poo being toxic on your veg-well wash your vegetables and boil them if you are so worried? Yer hardly gonna dig up a carrot and eat it there and then :P
    Every cat I've taken in has been seriously sick in some way everything from cancer to feline AIDS to cat flu and the current little girl I have has a parasite in her gut that antibiotics is currently killing off. I'm still alive after all that and not suicidal so a lot of those so called claims are a load of poo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Yes I know (because I do the work with mine). I was referring to the ones who think its ok to just feed their cat and turf them out, and give themselves absolution by saying, "oh sure he/she needs their freedom".

Well, my parents' cat would hate to be in the house all the time, should they just keep him in at all times? :confused:

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    That's excellent! :D But why don't you just have a litter tray or two in the areas of the house she will be?

The feral ones are mostly domesticated pet cats offspring! For those that have cats but don't bother to much about them the idea of taking them to vet is alien. On a recent conversation with a friend he told me how the cats they have keep breeding and when the older one dies off from god knows what sickness, they have a new kitten or two to take it's place. If the other kittens die well that's just life :rolleyes:

These feral kittens never asked to be born and it's amazing how quickly they can bond with you given a bit of time. TNR programmes are the best thing and ONLY thing that will help control the cat population. Plus if owners would bother their holes and help out by getting their own pets neutered too.

That's it? A lot of folks have this fear from either a scratch of a cat or a bite from a dog. Wouldn't it be good to maybe try and deal with your issues about it? Overcome your hate/fear? :)

I've got feicin scars from cats over the years but it was my own fault for not respecting their boundaries.

Ha! Come on :D Cats bury their poo/pee so a sandbox is perfect. Cats don't know it's for the grandkids. Why not get a secure cover for the sandbox problem solved!

This is true a lot of folks can't even give a clear answer as to why they don't like cats it's odd!

Every single cat or dog that ever came into my life all had completely different personalities. Comparing cats and dogs is completely pointless they are two totally different animals! It's like comparing a lion and a badger :pac:

I'm still learning new things about cats and I've had various ones over the last 7 years, they are fascinating wee farts! :D

Love this :D I call mine my gang of misfits. All shapes, sizes and personalities. Love them all. Some are other people's "rubbish" too. Sad really, what wonderful gifts are just discarded like dirt. I dont understand people who don't neuter tbh. It's the best, most important thing we can do to stop the problem of over population. There are even charities that have a trap-neuter-release scheme, if the cat is deemed to be too "feral" she/he will still be neutered and then re-released. Two of mine came from
    an abandoned warehouse and were feral but because I brought them up myself and bottle fed them etc, they are now really close to me and (as some people say) "more like dogs" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Of course dogs and cats **** everywhere. They're animals! They haven't evolved sewage systems as of yet.

I hate coming across dog ****e in the street. Doesn't really happen too much in other countries but then again, other nationalities use pooper scoopers.

There are irresponsible dog and cat owners in Ireland. The amount of people who don't neuter their pets is a national disgrace. The amount of dog owners who leave their pets' ****e everywhere so a child can pick it up and get sick is shocking. The amount of cat owners who leave their cats un-belled (to protect birds) and un-neutered is also shocking.

In short it's not dogs v cats, it's good pet owners v bad pet owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Nicole2012 wrote: »
    Those people in Ireland and elsewhere that hate cats must be very insecure, ignorant and psychologically disturbed people! They have no clue about cats and are dumb for just following everybody's behavior of hating cats without even knowing much about them. These cat haters are probably selfish and sneaky themselves and it makes them see themselves in cats. I pity those people and hope there is a hell for them for abusing cats! It's not the cat's fault that they are hunters. Other animals in nature hunt too. People hunt birds too if you don't like that cats hunt birds. Why should cats not be allowed to do the same. The world is for all humans and animals. That's where you can see just how this stupid cat haters are selfish. Poor ignorant people!

Another reason people hate cats is because they probably did not get enough love in their life and so they are not able to give love to a cat and just are dependent on getting love by a dog. That shows how cat haters are messed up in the head. They probably have poor relationships too!
    And for those idiots that think that picking cats by the tail is ok: Are you so dumb and stupid to not realize that if you were picked up by your tail you would cry and defend yourself too? Why should cats behave otherwise? Life will pay you back when somebody who is stronger than you will hit you too.These people were probably bullied as kids and are cowards deep inside and insecure that you have to measure up with a smaller animal to feel powerful-what loosers they are!

Additionally, cat haters must feel very inferior and that's why they can't stand another animal being smarter than they are and have to feel secure with a dog who won't challenge them intellectually.
    I think this is what really goes on with cat haters- they are big time Loosers!

Also cat lovers are probably angry people that have no jobs, are drunks and/ or take drugs and want to get off their frustration of on cats, which is dumb and just makes them look more weak themselves. You don't solve problems with abuse instead they should get off their asses and do something with their lives effectively instead of attacking harmless animals!

And for those ignorant who don't know about cats:
    Cats are great because they are clean, graceful, funny, can be loyal if you are loyal to them, can have a great personality, can be trained too and can learn words if you talk to them like dogs, won't scratch or damage things if you provide them with a scratching post, have self-respect (what cat haters don't have and are jealous at cats for it), kill many insects like flies and spiders and keep them away, are easy to take care and are low maintenance, can be quiet and are not hyperactive and tiring and loud like many dogs, and can be sensitive too and have feelings and can be different like many people are different too.

Not without reason did the Egypt culture worship cats and they were a great civilization who were powerful. The cat haters just put Ireland down and make them look like loosers and followers- so don't hate cats.Hating cats just make s you look stupid yourself.
    So next time you see a stray cat or somebody tells you to hate cats think about it and don't judge until you actually own one so you don't talk and behave ignorant !

I dislike people who open up 2 year old threads & cats that sh1te in my garden!!!

Quorum wrote: »
    Well, my parents' cat would hate to be in the house all the time, should they just keep him in at all times? :confused:

Of course not, but feeding him in the morning and kicking him out all day is kind of sh1t too isn't it? It's about trying to find the right balance. Mine for example have their own block house about the size of two normal kitchens (dont ask my female brain about measurements lol). It was originally used for boarding kennels. This has their sleeping area and play area (with cat trees, sofa, toys, rugs etc), and a heater for the winter. This opens out onto an enclosed area of the garden about 2-3 times bigger which has an old tree trunk, specifically chosen plants such as cat mint, cat nip etc, some little wooden kennels to sleep outdoors if they want, and a small water feature. It also incorporates a grass area for them. It took a lot of time to build it up to what it is now but I managed to do it cheap and with the help of friends .

I also let them out for an hour or two in the evenings and at weekends when I am there to supervise. Usually, they are back bleating at me within 10-15 minutes anyway :) My neighbour is the same. Though she doesn't have an enclosure for them (I was simply lucky that kennels had been there previously :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Well, if that's the reason, they're mistaken, cats take a lot of care.

I think some people are just ignorant in general about dealing with cats - they might never have seen them out of the "caged" situation, and have preconceived notions or maybe third hand information on how they behave without being caged. pity. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Of course not, but feeding him in the morning and kicking him out all day is kind of sh1t too isn't it? It's about trying to find the right balance. Mine for example have their own block house about the size of two normal kitchens (dont ask my female brain about measurements lol). It was originally used for boarding kennels. This has their sleeping area and play area (with cat trees, sofa, toys, rugs etc), and a heater for the winter. This opens out onto an enclosed area of the garden about 2-3 times bigger which has an old tree trunk, specifically chosen plants such as cat mint, cat nip etc, some little wooden kennels to sleep outdoors if they want, and a small water feature. It also incorporates a grass area for them. It took a lot of time to build it up to what it is now but I managed to do it cheap and with the help of friends .

I also let them out for an hour or two in the evenings and at weekends when I am there to supervise. Usually, they are back bleating at me within 10-15 minutes anyway :) My neighbour is the same. Though she doesn't have an enclosure for them (I was simply lucky that kennels had been there previously :))

Kitty paradise :)
    I have to admit that we usually during the week let our cats out in the mornings (if they want to go out), and let them back in when we return from work. They can and do go into our neighbours' gardens, but I've spoken with most of the people in the area and they're happy enough with it. The old lady next door says she's always happy for the company.
    I know none of our kitties venture far, as they are wary of strangers and so avoid the road and nearby GAA ground at all costs.
    During the weekend, they come and go as they please, usually.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have to admit that we usually during the week let our cats out in the mornings (if they want to go out), and let them back in when we return from work. They can and do go into our neighbours' gardens, but I've spoken with most of the people in the area and they're happy enough with it. The old lady next door says she's always happy for the company.
    I know none of our kitties venture far, as they are wary of strangers and so avoid the road and nearby GAA ground at all costs.

to be fair most of the neighbors would be happy to see a cat around - they keep vermin at bay. Cats have their own territory and usually will not venture into others territory. The way some posters are going on here you would think they go off day tripping every day. :D:D A little kitty who does not have the freedom to explore, exercise their ability to jump, and pounce, explore and practice their natural skills will end up living a very sheltered, unfair life. I would rather them be happy, doing what they want, than to be locked up in a "paradise". I know for a fact most of the neighbors have no problem with cats - they actually like to see them around the place.
    OUr kitty actually looks up and down before crossing the road. I'm sure she's learned the safe cross code with the kids. :D:D

Yup, it is :D

to be fair most of the neighbors would be happy to see a cat around - they keep vermin at bay. Cats have their own territory and usually will not venture into others territory. The way some posters are going on here you would think they go off day tripping every day. :D:D A little kitty who does not have the freedom to explore, exercise their ability to jump, and pounce, explore and practice their natural skills will end up living a very sheltered, unfair life. I would rather them be happy, doing what they want, than to be locked up in a "paradise". I know for a fact most of the neighbors have no problem with cats - they actually like to see them around the place.
    OUr kitty actually looks up and down before crossing the road. I'm sure she's learned the safe cross code with the kids. :D:D

I assume that is directed at me. Did you miss the part of my post that said they are let out daily, and in fact have ample space and materials for expressing natural behaviour?

Incidentally its great that your cat has road sense. Between us and our neighbour, five cats have died on the (believe it or not) country road beside our homes. Mostly people taking shortcuts home in the evenings tbh - perhaps they were rushing home to let their cats out? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Incidentally its great that your cat has road sense. Between us and our neighbour, five cats have died on the (believe it or not) country road beside our homes. Mostly people taking shortcuts home in the evenings tbh - perhaps they were rushing home to let their cats out? ;)

I'm actually convinced that quiet country roads are far more dangerous for cats than busy roads or streets.
    The road in front of our house is fairly busy, and I've never seen any of our cats actually setting foot (paw?) outside the front gate. The noise and the hussle makes them stay away, they avoid it.
    A cat would have no reason to avoid a nice and quite road. And then one day it'll get run over by the pillock who comes belting down it at 60mph.

I'm actually convinced that quiet country roads are far more dangerous for cats than busy roads or streets.
    The road in front of our house is fairly busy, and I've never seen any of our cats actually setting foot (paw?) outside the front gate. The noise and the hussle makes them stay away, they avoid it.
    A cat would have no reason to avoid a nice and quite road. And then one day it'll get run over by the pillock who comes belting down it at 60mph.

I would agree with this also, Cats become very away of the no-go areas and what they would perceive to be danger, by exploring the territory - they then pick their own territory and stick with it. Cats who wouldn't be experienced enough in exploring would have more of a chance of getting slaughtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

mikom wrote: »

How many cats do you see sat with a homeless person?

Case closed.

I see this little guy all the time

http://www.catster.com/the-scoop/homeless-cat-and-homeless-man-hit-the-big-time

Thats true I think. Also because the smaller winding roads have more blind spots etc so harder to stop if you do come across an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't like cats because I'm allergic to them. I want another dog down the line but the GF wants a cat so the solution at the moment is get them together if we do.

Plus, I don't trust them since I saw an old horror movie The Uncanny when I was a kid. The cats are pure evil in it :pac::

Go to 13:00 for some vintage corny 70's horror

I would agree with this also, Cats become very away of the no-go areas and what they would perceive to be danger, by exploring the territory - they then pick their own territory and stick with it. Cats who wouldn't be experienced enough in exploring would have more of a chance of getting slaughtered.

Link? Stats? I had a cat "slaughtered" on the road after 14 years "exploring" the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Only if the woman carrying the baby hasn't been around cats much, ditto adult blindness.

That's a myth, it's all pregnant women and children coming into contact with cat poo.
    My sister is pregnant, owns two indoor cats and it's what her doctor told her. She actually told my sister to give the cats away until she was finished having kids and they were past a certain age as it's not worth the health risks.

• Advertisement

That's a myth, it's all pregnant women and children coming into contact with cat poo.
    My sister is pregnant, owns two indoor cats and it's what her doctor told her. She actually told my sister to give the cats away until she was finished having kids and they were past a certain age as it's not worth the health risks.
    Sounds like the cats would be better off somehwhere else if they are going to be treated like lepers just cause your sister has a bun in the oven :pac:

Let me get this right, you're telling us that cat poo (as distinct from cats themselves) can make pregnant women, unborn children and born children blind? lolocaust :)

I actually thought that said "there has been suicides connecting cat hair and cot death" and I wasn't really taken aback because it sort of fit in with the rest of your hysterical post :)

Can't figure out how to copy and paste on my phone but Google cat parasite and suicide in humans and there are pages and pages about it, and it was in the news recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Claws are the main reason I dislike cats.

Also, every time I hear of someone owning cats I imagine they live like 'Crazy Cat Lady' from the Simpsons.

No thanks.

this is true.

Let me get this right, you're telling us that cat poo (as distinct from cats themselves) can make pregnant women, unborn children and born children blind? lolocaust :)

Yes, it's called toxoplasmosis. How do you not know this its common knowledge.

Can't figure out how to copy and paste on my phone but Google cat parasite and suicide in humans and there are pages and pages about it, and it was in the news recently too.

Daily Mail? Seriously? You'll be quoting from the National Enquirer next. The only search results (on the first page at least) are Daily Mail. Come off it.

Yes, it's called toxoplasmosis. How do you not know this its common knowledge.

But why would a pregnant woman be more at risk of going blind than a non-pregnant woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

As regards lifespan where I lived in America cats had a lifespan of two years if allowed out doors! Coyotes, bears and all sorts would make quick work of them.

• Advertisement

:o:o:o

Advertisement